Michigan 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SherlockHolmes

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby SherlockHolmes » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:18 am

Was waitlisted earlier today. Expected to be straight rejected so it was a pleasant surprise. Definitely will be holding out for a possible acceptance.

bafanahoy

Postby bafanahoy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:24 am

Last edited by bafanahoy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:31 am

So, if rejection is by snail mail, does the status checker continue to update every day even after a rejection?

I'm asking because, in my current location, it will take a approximately two weeks for material to arrive.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:47 am

niederbomb wrote:So, if rejection is by snail mail, does the status checker continue to update every day even after a rejection?

I'm asking because, in my current location, it will take a approximately two weeks for material to arrive.

I don't know if they'll be doing many more rejections by snail mail, just based on this line from the WL email: Finally, let me acknowledge that email is an informal way to communicate news that may be very important to you, and for that I apologize. We chose email as our method of communication simply because of its speed and accuracy; we recognize that at this time of the year, you want to get as much information as quickly as possible.

But if they have been doing rejections before during snail mail, I dunno if that constitutes a change from this point forward or what.

tothePAIN

Postby tothePAIN » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:51 am

Wait listed earlier.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:54 am

Friend was waitlisted earlier. I was sorry for her, but happy at the thought of still being in the running. But, I suppose a rejection could always be in the mail. I think it would be heartless and cruel if rejections were snail mail only. Seeing friends getting waitlisted via email gives me hope...if a rejection letter as opposed to email is inbound I'm going to be pissed as hell.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:58 am

No dings via email today because there were no dings today, or because Mich doesn't ding via email? I still say it's sadistic to do WL but not dings via email. I don't want to see people get WL and sweat out the next two weeks.

Klogon

Postby Klogon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:51 am

According to the 2010 Michigan Waitlist thread, they had to wait until August 17th to know for certain that they all got dinged. Wow. That's insane.

jtgnyc

Postby jtgnyc » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:40 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
Klogon wrote:Waitlisted.

Anybody got some basic statistics of past WL numbers and how many got admitted?

Someone earlier said about 30 people get taken off of it per year. According to a thread from last year, it's 35-40. However, either scenario, it's very, very few. I'll of course keep at it, as should you if it's what you really want, but we shouldn't get too optimistic.

It seems they have accepted less than 5 people from waitlist the past two years. Over-enrolled both years.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:21 pm

jtgnyc wrote:
Klogon wrote:Waitlisted.

Anybody got some basic statistics of past WL numbers and how many got admitted?

Someone earlier said about 30 people get taken off of it per year. According to a thread from last year, it's 35-40. However, either scenario, it's very, very few. I'll of course keep at it, as should you if it's what you really want, but we shouldn't get too optimistic.

It seems they have accepted less than 5 people from waitlist the past two years. Over-enrolled both years.

Well, if they had overenrollment issues in the last two years, then it seems reasonable that they'd WL people more this year... just to be safe. Meaning, perhaps more people will end up getting off the WL this summer.

At the same time, I hate to say this but, with UMich jumping 2 spots in the rankings, more people may be swayed to attend. Just being honest with you guys. Still, be optimistic!

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Just got waitlisted as well. I'm not super attached to Michigan (already in at NYU, and crossing my fingers to get off the hold list at Columbia), but I just glanced at the graph on LSN, and it seems like their waitlist is all over the place. There are people with amazing numbers who got waitlisted and even denied. Do they practice yield protection, or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:02 pm

It just seems like Michigan is all over the place. There is no ascertainable LSAT wall, and the Green/Yellow/Reds are not grouped in an easily identifiable pattern. Sure, most of the outliers in either direction are what you would expect, but it's surprising. A lot of schools claim to have "holistic review," and after looking at Michigan's graph, I believe it.

ppch

Postby ppch » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:06 pm

akili wrote:
chasgoose wrote:Did anyone else find the waitlist e-mail a little patronizing? I am not worried that I could do the work at Michigan thanks...

I can see how it might come off that way, but I kind of liked the informal tone tbh. Made it feel like they at least really thought about me.

I agree. I've always really, really admired UM's personal touches throughout this cycle. For instance, the fee waiver came in a letter, not email, and on the second page of the letter, Sarah hand wrote "We love Chicago grads!" next to her signature. It's really the small things that have made me fall in love with Michigan, this email no different even though it said "WL'd. Sorry." I'm trying to find a way to convey this in my LOCI already, but I will probably fail miserably, and not like it matters much anyway considering the lack of movement from the waitlist. But I'll think good thoughts towards them every minute... maybe that will help? :)

I think they did this to everyone... it worked on me, too. :(

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:33 pm

ppch wrote:
akili wrote:
chasgoose wrote:Did anyone else find the waitlist e-mail a little patronizing? I am not worried that I could do the work at Michigan thanks...

I can see how it might come off that way, but I kind of liked the informal tone tbh. Made it feel like they at least really thought about me.

I agree. I've always really, really admired UM's personal touches throughout this cycle. For instance, the fee waiver came in a letter, not email, and on the second page of the letter, Sarah hand wrote "We love Chicago grads!" next to her signature. It's really the small things that have made me fall in love with Michigan, this email no different even though it said "WL'd. Sorry." I'm trying to find a way to convey this in my LOCI already, but I will probably fail miserably, and not like it matters much anyway considering the lack of movement from the waitlist. But I'll think good thoughts towards them every minute... maybe that will help? :)

Lol they "Love" getting graduates from my school as well! Made me optimistic, but it was a nice touch. With YP there may be room for us yet. My buddy who got into Harvard was rejected-not waitlisted, rejected-from Cal, Penn and Michigan.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:37 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
ppch wrote:

Lol they "Love" getting graduates from my school as well! Made me optimistic, but it was a nice touch. With YP there may be room for us yet. My buddy who got into Harvard was rejected-not waitlisted, rejected-from Cal, Penn and Michigan.

oh wow, she also loved to get people from my UG! what a coincidence! made me feel a lot better when i got my rejection letter in the very first batch of rejection letters.

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:50 pm

aaaaaah wrote:Just got the WL email. Kind of broke my heart, but I guess I'm glad it wasn't a straight ding.

Me too. I was feeling pretty bad, but if Rahm himself can't even get in...

?

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:55 pm

ppch wrote:
akili wrote:

I never doubted that they do this with everyone. Honestly, my school isn't a fun place to graduate from, and if you love Chicago grads (especially the undergrad population), then you're probably a very scary, very conservative banking firm. Or a Ph.D. program in something really obscure, like 12th century Ethiopian texts. So if I weren't already applying to Michigan, I wouldn't have fallen for the note, but coming from a place that gets tens of thousands of applications every year, I did think it was a nice touch. Has made me feel more connected during the really soul-squelching process of applying to law school.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:02 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
ppch wrote:

oh wow, she also loved to get people from my UG! what a coincidence! made me feel a lot better when i got my rejection letter in the very first batch of rejection letters.

I lol'd.

redsoxfan2495

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:00 pm

WL yesterday via e-mail. Submitted on 2/3. Numbers are 173/3.7X.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:23 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:WL yesterday via e-mail. Submitted on 2/3. Numbers are 173/3.7X.

:( at least you have NYU...

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:33 am

Dammit! Where's my decision?

LOL

wyst89

Postby wyst89 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:25 am

Anyone still complete at 3/19? Anyone heard a peep?

whitman

Postby whitman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:25 pm

niederbomb wrote:Dammit! Where's my decision?

LOL

+ a big motherfucking one

wyst89

Postby wyst89 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:41 pm

Mine is stuck at 3/19 (it updated yesterday but not today—not sure if that *means* anything . . .)

LPSDBX

Postby LPSDBX » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:47 pm

wyst89 wrote:Mine is stuck at 3/19 (it updated yesterday but not today—not sure if that *means* anything . . .)

It never updates on Sundays; at least, not that I've seen.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”