Michigan 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lazyapplicant
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby lazyapplicant » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:07 pm

akili wrote:"Let me acknowledge that your reaction to being placed on the waitlist may well be disappointment, or even outright annoyance. It may feel like a message that the Admissions Office thinks you're not capable of doing the work here. That would be the wrong conclusion to draw. Assembling a class is a difficult process, requiring a lot of balance and no small amount of prediction. And it does not operate perfectly..."



I hope this isn't too personal to ask but are you holding out hope for getting off the wait-list or will you adjust your plans for somewhere else? I have a feeling I'll soon be in a similar boat so I just want to know.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby akili » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:09 pm

lazyapplicant wrote:
akili wrote:"Let me acknowledge that your reaction to being placed on the waitlist may well be disappointment, or even outright annoyance. It may feel like a message that the Admissions Office thinks you're not capable of doing the work here. That would be the wrong conclusion to draw. Assembling a class is a difficult process, requiring a lot of balance and no small amount of prediction. And it does not operate perfectly..."



I hope this isn't too personal to ask but are you holding out hope for getting off the wait-list or will you adjust your plans for somewhere else? I have a feeling I'll soon be in a similar boat so I just want to know.


Vandy is my second choice and their deposit isn't due until May 1st or so. I think I'm definitely going to stay on the Michigan waitlist until April 30th or so (when their first deposit is due) and see what happens. If I get in, that would be insanely awesome, but I am still psyched about Vandy so I'll survive if nothing happens. What about you?

lazyapplicant
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby lazyapplicant » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:18 pm

akili wrote:
Vandy is my second choice and their deposit isn't due until May 1st or so. I think I'm definitely going to stay on the Michigan waitlist until April 30th or so (when their first deposit is due) and see what happens. If I get in, that would be insanely awesome, but I am still psyched about Vandy so I'll survive if nothing happens. What about you?



Wow vandy is awesome you'll be golden either way (I mean not to say Mich isn't like a dream though). Well, given I can only reasonably hope for WL at best there, I'll probably just let it go and withdraw. I'm getting the sense that there are a lot more people like you that are more deserving (would beat me out anyway should I stay on), and though Mich. is a dream, I love my other options as well. But haven't heard yet, time will tell.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby akili » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:20 pm

lazyapplicant wrote:
akili wrote:
Vandy is my second choice and their deposit isn't due until May 1st or so. I think I'm definitely going to stay on the Michigan waitlist until April 30th or so (when their first deposit is due) and see what happens. If I get in, that would be insanely awesome, but I am still psyched about Vandy so I'll survive if nothing happens. What about you?



Wow vandy is awesome you'll be golden either way (I mean not to say Mich isn't like a dream though). Well, given I can only reasonably hope for WL at best there, I'll probably just let it go and withdraw. I'm getting the sense that there are a lot more people like you that are more deserving (would beat me out anyway should I stay on), and though Mich. is a dream, I love my other options as well. But haven't heard yet, time will tell.


If you love Michigan, you should totally stay on. You never know! It doesn't cost anything to see, at least :)

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:39 pm

akili wrote:
chasgoose wrote:Did anyone else find the waitlist e-mail a little patronizing? I am not worried that I could do the work at Michigan thanks...


I can see how it might come off that way, but I kind of liked the informal tone tbh. Made it feel like they at least really thought about me.


I agree. I've always really, really admired UM's personal touches throughout this cycle. For instance, the fee waiver came in a letter, not email, and on the second page of the letter, Sarah hand wrote "We love Chicago grads!" next to her signature. It's really the small things that have made me fall in love with Michigan, this email no different even though it said "WL'd. Sorry." I'm trying to find a way to convey this in my LOCI already, but I will probably fail miserably, and not like it matters much anyway considering the lack of movement from the waitlist. But I'll think good thoughts towards them every minute... maybe that will help? :)

User avatar
cmaas
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby cmaas » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:48 pm

Waitlisted...which apparently means I can potentially be the editor-in-chief of the Michigan Law Review, clerk for the U.S. Supreme Court, and win a unanimous Supreme Court decision in a complex civil rights case.

zjs4
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby zjs4 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Waitlisted. :(

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby askyemcdonald » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:02 pm

Are waitlists still going out?

lazyapplicant
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby lazyapplicant » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Anyone here still just "Complete" as of 3-18

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby splitmuch » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:05 pm

lazyapplicant wrote:Anyone here still just "Complete" as of 3-18

+1

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby askyemcdonald » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:07 pm

splitmuch wrote:
lazyapplicant wrote:Anyone here still just "Complete" as of 3-18

+1


+1

Pubica
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby Pubica » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:08 pm

WL

User avatar
Zabini
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby Zabini » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:12 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
lazyapplicant wrote:Anyone here still just "Complete" as of 3-18

+1


+1


and another one

lazyapplicant
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby lazyapplicant » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Zabini wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
lazyapplicant wrote:Anyone here still just "Complete" as of 3-18

+1


+1


and another one


Hoping the 4 of us will know a week from now at the latest. Avoided the Ding/WL bug that went around this weak though.

User avatar
robotclubmember
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:53 am

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:34 pm

chasgoose wrote:Did anyone else find the waitlist e-mail a little patronizing? I am not worried that I could do the work at Michigan thanks...


If you were hovering at median like me, them the e-mail probably wouldn't affect you, other than for the fact you got your ass waitlisted. U of M waitlists a lot more people than they take off the waitlist obviously (they take about 30 from the waitlist each year from what I understand). Not to be pessimistic, but statistically speaking, getting waitlisted is a kiss of death. That said, a few dozen will be pulled off of it and some - though a significant minority - of the people who really want the school and were disappointed to get waitlisted will have their day.

All that said, if I had your numbers and came from HYPS, I'd have found the e-mail very patronizing. You're a clear case of YP. I don't think any generic form e-mail has a "personal touch." They should have at least a couple different ones. They should have a special generic wl e-mail just for the people getting YP'ed, lol.

User avatar
cbp3443
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:38 am

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby cbp3443 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Really Michigan? Fine, I'll take your waitlist. Whatevs :(
Last edited by cbp3443 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
whitman
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby whitman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Honestly, I was all about Michigan and their personal touches, but here I am sitting at a fucking 10/18 submission date without a decision.

/end weekly Michigan thread rant.

tguk53
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby tguk53 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:54 pm

Zabini wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
lazyapplicant wrote:Anyone here still just "Complete" as of 3-18

+1


+1


and another one



One more

Klogon
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:50 am

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby Klogon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Waitlisted.

Anybody got some basic statistics of past WL numbers and how many got admitted?

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:04 pm

Klogon wrote:Waitlisted.

Anybody got some basic statistics of past WL numbers and how many got admitted?


Someone earlier said about 30 people get taken off of it per year. According to a thread from last year, it's 35-40. However, either scenario, it's very, very few. I'll of course keep at it, as should you if it's what you really want, but we shouldn't get too optimistic.

User avatar
OrdinarilySkilled
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:22 am

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Another wave of waitlists? Wtf... Still complete since november with no response. At this point I am convinced they are just fucking with me. Well two can play that game. Let's see how they like a scholarship negotiation email. Maybe I can trick my way in.

tguk53
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby tguk53 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:59 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:Another wave of waitlists? Wtf... Still complete since november with no response. At this point I am convinced they are just fucking with me. Well two can play that game. Let's see how they like a scholarship negotiation email. Maybe I can trick my way in.


LOL.

User avatar
leopardRAWR
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby leopardRAWR » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:56 pm

whitman wrote:Honestly, I was all about Michigan and their personal touches, but here I am sitting at a fucking 10/18 submission date without a decision.

/end weekly Michigan thread rant.


+1. personal touches on every brochure, fee waiver, email etc but 6 months later and we still can't have the personal touch of a decision.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby niederbomb » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:37 am

splitmuch wrote:
lazyapplicant wrote:Anyone here still just "Complete" as of 3-18

+1


+2

Still hopeful. M is still one of my top choices.

DHB
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:03 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby DHB » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:15 am

akili wrote:
splitmuch wrote:sorry to be crass but...complete dates?


I submitted 1/9 and got my status checker 2/10

Don't worry about it, not crass :)


Application Materials Received email 1/21. Not sure when it was officially complete. Law school admissions seem to be random. I don't know why I got in some places, rejected at others, and waitlisted at most.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jstans, proteinshake and 9 guests