Michigan 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ChriLa425

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby ChriLa425 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:01 pm

akili wrote:
ChriLa425 wrote:
akili wrote:I would too, but IIRC it was like this last time a big wave went out.

ETA: Last Thursday the date "got stuck" and Friday the big waitlist wave came out. Also, some people were accepted too.

Did it get stuck for everyone or only for people that had changed to "Decision"?

It looks like everyone. It starts on page 142 I think.

I also looked at the big waves of decisions from last year and there was a big waitlist wave at the end of Feb and a big wave of decisions at the beginning of March.

Right you are, i forgot that that was the same day of the week. well lets hope tomorrow´s not quite so brutal :( last week wasn´t a lot of fun...

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:02 pm

I think we're all fucked.

lateblooming

Postby lateblooming » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:06 pm

saw this in the wait-list thread - like it says, not unique to Michigan, but still discouraging. think i'll withdraw since I was wait-listed.

--LinkRemoved--

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:12 pm

lateblooming wrote:saw this in the wait-list thread - like it says, not unique to Michigan, but still discouraging. think i'll withdraw since I was wait-listed.

--LinkRemoved--

Michigan sucks because it's in a dead part of the country. East coast peer schools like UVA don't have it nearly as bad.

akili

Postby akili » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Michigan, please love me. I'll pay sticker, I swear!

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:40 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:I think we're all fucked.

Stop it, you're scaring me! :cry:

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:56 pm

I'd love to hear from Michigan...I applied a little late because I didn't even really think about it til they sent me a fee waiver and their booklet. Then I fell in love..and here I am. Waiting.

akili

Postby akili » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:01 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:I'd love to hear from Michigan...I applied a little late because I didn't even really think about it til they sent me a fee waiver and their booklet. Then I fell in love..and here I am. Waiting.

+1

At first I was like....but Michigan is cold. And then someone showed me a picture of the campus and I looked at their clinical offerings...and now I love Michigan like no other. Waiting blows.

lateblooming

Postby lateblooming » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:20 pm

niederbomb wrote:
lateblooming wrote:saw this in the wait-list thread - like it says, not unique to Michigan, but still discouraging. think i'll withdraw since I was wait-listed.

--LinkRemoved--

Michigan sucks because it's in a dead part of the country. East coast peer schools like UVA don't have it nearly as bad.

yeah that's what I figured. I had a chat with an attorney at big-name firm and he's saying schools in large cities, like GWU, might be a better bet since the federal government is never going away (despite recent slashes). Your big city prospects in Michigan are.. Detroit? :?

(and this discussion is relevant to this forum for those of us waitlisted / withdrawing!!)

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:50 pm

Why are we still at 3/1!?!?!?!?! :shock:

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Anyone else have "initiated" for NeedAccess under mailings? I definitely did the entire thing, maybe it's just some code I don't know.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:53 pm

--LinkRemoved--

yikes. glad i got rejected

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:56 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

That is hardly unique to michigan. Not even close. But if only for the sake of making oneself feel better then I will concede that it is unique to michigan.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:02 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

That is hardly unique to michigan. Not even close. But if only for the sake of making oneself feel better then I will concede that it is unique to michigan.

:) DC FTW!

TheStrand

Postby TheStrand » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:48 pm

lateblooming wrote:yeah that's what I figured. I had a chat with an attorney at big-name firm and he's saying schools in large cities, like GWU, might be a better bet since the federal government is never going away (despite recent slashes). Your big city prospects in Michigan are.. Detroit? :?

(and this discussion is relevant to this forum for those of us waitlisted / withdrawing!!)

Ehh the vast majority of Michigan grads end up in New York and Chicago and they're so much easier to break into than DC imo. Plus, I work for the federal gov now and this hiring freeze is/will continue to be pretty brutal. So much of the talent is leaving and won't be replaced. Am pretty hopefuly and excited that there might be a government shutdown though. There's probably never any free time off in firms =(

http://www.law.umich.edu/careers/factsa ... firms.aspx

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:58 pm

TheStrand wrote:
lateblooming wrote:yeah that's what I figured. I had a chat with an attorney at big-name firm and he's saying schools in large cities, like GWU, might be a better bet since the federal government is never going away (despite recent slashes). Your big city prospects in Michigan are.. Detroit? :?

Ehh the vast majority of Michigan grads end up in New York and Chicago and they're so much easier to break into than DC imo. Plus, I work for the federal gov now and this hiring freeze is/will continue to be pretty brutal. So much of the talent is leaving and won't be replaced. Am pretty hopefuly and excited that there might be a government shutdown though. There's probably never any free time off in firms =(

http://www.law.umich.edu/careers/factsa ... firms.aspx

I went to the link at the bottom of the page you linked us to, do we have a username//password?? I would really like to see what firms hired which students.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:08 pm

I just got the email with Michigan ID and access to the status checker (yes! another school to obsess over!) My status is compete as of 3/1. Is there an other statge like "under review" before a decision is reached?

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:12 pm

BrightLine wrote:I just got the email with Michigan ID and access to the status checker (yes! another school to obsess over!) My status is compete as of 3/1. Is there an other statge like "under review" before a decision is reached?

Nope...and you update everyday! Yay!

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:23 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:
BrightLine wrote:I just got the email with Michigan ID and access to the status checker (yes! another school to obsess over!) My status is compete as of 3/1. Is there an other statge like "under review" before a decision is reached?

....except possibly every thursday....

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:03 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:

....except possibly every thursday....

:mrgreen:

srvyorgeneral

Postby srvyorgeneral » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:04 am

I am part of the crowd stuck at 3/1 "complete". I was walking home from a bar this evening, bitching about how I hadn't heard from a ton of schools yet, and there, on the doorstep, was a large 8 1/2 x 11 from Michigan. Surprised much? I was certainly surprised. It also came with an amazingly funny hand-written note from Dean Zearfoss--kind-of endeared me to Michigan. Not gonna lie.

akili

Postby akili » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:08 am

srvyorgeneral wrote:I am part of the crowd stuck at 3/1 "complete". I was walking home from a bar this evening, bitching about how I hadn't heard from a ton of schools yet, and there, on the doorstep, was a large 8 1/2 x 11 from Michigan. Surprised much? I was certainly surprised. It also came with an amazingly funny hand-written note from Dean Zearfoss--kind-of endeared me to Michigan. Not gonna lie.

:shock: awesome dude!! Holy crap, I'm jealous. Did it come by FedEx?

Also when did you get your status checker and do you live far from Mich?

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:52 am

Being that I just got the ID number today, is it odd that it is complete as of 3/1? Based on what I am reading (although I only went back a few pages) it seems like the status will basically update every day to complete with todays date.

wolverine2014

Postby wolverine2014 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:26 am

BrightLine wrote:Being that I just got the ID number today, is it odd that it is complete as of 3/1? Based on what I am reading (although I only went back a few pages) it seems like the status will basically update every day to complete with todays date.

this is accurate....good luck.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:30 am

In via Snail Mail today.
Last update 3/1
ID number sent 2/10

check the profile for #s

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”