Michigan 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lolol10

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby lolol10 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:31 pm

just applied last night! no way im getting in now !!!

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:35 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Thank you Michigan!!!!! I got my status checker today. :D

Same!

whatshouldIdo11

Postby whatshouldIdo11 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:39 pm

So did anyone's status checker update today?

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:48 pm

I got my checker today and it was dated for yesterday

Klogon

Postby Klogon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:49 pm

sheD wrote:My checker also changed to 2/15, but stayed at complete. I was able to access the ASW yesterday. Received my checker 1/20.

I guess this means not being able to access ASW is a bad sign? haha

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:49 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:I got my checker today and it was dated for yesterday

I think the guy who presses the button that updates the checkers was out sick today...

lolol10

Postby lolol10 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:17 pm

does the transmitted time really matter? the summary sheet says it was before 12 but the actual listed time is at like 1a. yikkesss. is this an issue?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:32 pm

lolol10 wrote:does the transmitted time really matter? the summary sheet says it was before 12 but the actual listed time is at like 1a. yikkesss. is this an issue?

lolwut?

rjh456

Postby rjh456 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:11 am

I finally figured it out. That 4 8 15 16 23 42 code that Desmond had to plug in every few hours in LOST was the Michigan status checker... I guess since it wasn't updated today, Feb 16 2011 was when the island blew up in real time. Thank God i'm applying to law school. I'm learning so much...

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:12 am

rjh456 wrote:I finally figured it out. That 4 8 15 16 23 42 code that Desmond had to plug in every few hours in LOST was the Michigan status checker... I guess since it wasn't updated today, Feb 16 2011 was when the island blew up in real time. Thank God i'm applying to law school. I'm learning so much...

You. I like you.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:33 am

This has probably been answered before but was a similar hold email sent out last cycle?

Lou9

Postby Lou9 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:48 am

Hannibal wrote:This has probably been answered before but was a similar hold email sent out last cycle?

Yes. I went through last years thread and it was sent around the same time.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:10 am

rjh456 wrote:I finally figured it out. That 4 8 15 16 23 42 code that Desmond had to plug in every few hours in LOST was the Michigan status checker... I guess since it wasn't updated today, Feb 16 2011 was when the island blew up in real time. Thank God i'm applying to law school. I'm learning so much...

This is probably the greatest thing I'm going to read all day. It's only 8 a.m., but I'm willing to go out on a limb.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:56 am

jman77 wrote:^ Nothing in your post contradicts the concept that the e-mail constituted a hold. In fact, Penn's hold e-mail (which was explicitly indicated as a hold) includes the verbiage below:

Please know that the time it has taken to review your file in no way indicates the final decision. Again, the review process at Penn involves multiple members of the Admissions Committee reviewing each of our 6,000 applications; you can be assured your application materials are receiving a thorough review.

We may be arguing semantics here, but in substance, the fact that we have not yet received decisions after getting a preliminary review and other newer applicants are receiving decisions clearly indicates that our apps have been effectively "held".

The difference is, with Penn you have been reviewed and put into a different pile. Here, this was an automatically (or functionally automatic if not truly...it went to EVERYONE who applied on a certain date without a decision) generated e-mail for everyone who applied before a certain date, where a decision had not been yet entered into the system.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:58 am

Hannibal wrote:This has probably been answered before but was a similar hold email sent out last cycle?

According to Dean Z, the EXACT same e-mail has been sent out for at least the last 3-4 years.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 am

tea_drinker wrote:
blowhard wrote:
WhatSarahSaid wrote:
agora139 wrote:from my interactions with the admissions office upon being accepted, i really don't think it was a 'hold' thing after all--the sneaky nature of a letter that kind of means a hold doesn't seem their style at all. i think it was just an acknowledgement and thank you for people who submitted sometime before mid-december.

It's probably a semantics argument, but the e-mail said:

"Your file has been reviewed at least once by our staff and the admissions committee and we have found much to admire. We have not yet, however, been able to render a decision, and are continuing to review your application file in the context of the greater applicant pool."

I think the fact that they've looked at your app and haven't made a decision yet (but will later) constitutes a hold.

I've already commented on this. I spoke to Dean Z direct. The e-mail is simple a status update so you weren't going too long without hearing something. It in no way indicates your likelihood of admission or not. Files go through many levels of review.

I want to give what you said and what Dean Z said the benefits of the doubt, yet the fact that some applicants who applied early but didn't get the email puzzles me. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to still be considered. I just don't know how Dean Z will approach our apps. Will she wait until finishing with all new apps and look at us? Or will she look at us in context of and simultaneously with new apps? If so, does she use numbers as comparing factors? The uncertainty is certainly killing me.

She said that EVERYONE who applied before a cutoff date where a decision hadn't been made received the e-mail. Maybe the people weren't early enough, or an in/out decision was made but they haven't been notified for some reason.

whitman

Postby whitman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:01 am

blowhard wrote:

According to Dean Z, the EXACT same e-mail has been sent out for at least the last 3-4 years.

Any idea when we can expect a decision? I applied 10/18 and have heard nothing but the email.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:24 am

whitman wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Any idea when we can expect a decision? I applied 10/18 and have heard nothing but the email.

The Michigan app deadline was two days ago, so I hope we will find out on or before 3/15, since that's one month for all the new app to be completed and be reviewed.
Last edited by tea_drinker on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:26 am

blowhard wrote:She said that EVERYONE who applied before a cutoff date where a decision hadn't been made received the e-mail. Maybe the people weren't early enough, or an in/out decision was made but they haven't been notified for some reason.

Thanks blowhard. You are always helpful. And if you find yourself somewhere near or in front of Dean Z's office, don't feel hesitate to put in some good words for us TLSers :mrgreen:

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:59 am

whitman wrote:
blowhard wrote:

I'd say, sometime between now and Sep 1. I know it's hard, but don't stress too much. Michigan takes a while because the way they review seems to be unique. As one recent speaker said, "Michigan has a low douche quota." Not sure how she does it, but Dean Z screens out the rif raff and that takes time.

I know people who applied early and were some of the last to get in. I also know people who applied in the middle and got in within days. All with similar numbers and backgrounds. There's a method to the madness. Not sure what it is but there is.

Guicciardini

Postby Guicciardini » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:31 pm

Hmm, I just got my status checker a few days ago, but I was wondering, would submitting an additional "Why Mich" essay hurt my app/slow me down considerably?

I was wait listed last year, and I believe I sent in a LOCI, but I know that I didn't submit any supplemental essays. This year I did the two max that they said, but they were about my disabilities and my academic career.

Unfortunately, I really do want to go to Michigan - I was wait listed there last year - because I would really like to enter the legal academy, and UM has a really strong rep for students going in that direction.

Also, on a personal note, my older brother and my sister-in-law are both professors at UM (something I didn't mention on my app because neither of them are law profs) and they just had a child. My brother is 12 years older than me, and so growing up we had a good relationship, but obviously that was severely limited because I was too young to be very fun. Beyond the obvious impact of UM on my legal career, I would love to spend three years or more in Ann Arbor because it would give me the opportunity to get to know my brother for real, and it would also give me the only chance I'm ever going to get to contribute to my niece's life, since they're on tenure track, and if I'm not accepted to UM, I'll probably never live in Michigan.

Would writing an additional essay hurt me, since I've already bombarded them with supplementals?

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Guicciardini wrote:Hmm, I just got my status checker a few days ago, but I was wondering, would submitting an additional "Why Mich" essay hurt my app/slow me down considerably?

I was wait listed last year, and I believe I sent in a LOCI, but I know that I didn't submit any supplemental essays. This year I did the two max that they said, but they were about my disabilities and my academic career.

Unfortunately, I really do want to go to Michigan - I was wait listed there last year - because I would really like to enter the legal academy, and UM has a really strong rep for students going in that direction.

Also, on a personal note, my older brother and my sister-in-law are both professors at UM (something I didn't mention on my app because neither of them are law profs) and they just had a child. My brother is 12 years older than me, and so growing up we had a good relationship, but obviously that was severely limited because I was too young to be very fun. Beyond the obvious impact of UM on my legal career, I would love to spend three years or more in Ann Arbor because it would give me the opportunity to get to know my brother for real, and it would also give me the only chance I'm ever going to get to contribute to my niece's life, since they're on tenure track, and if I'm not accepted to UM, I'll probably never live in Michigan.

Would writing an additional essay hurt me, since I've already bombarded them with supplementals?

I'm not sure, since you've already sent in two supplemental essays, but that would make for one of the better "Why x" apps I've heard of.

waitlisteddd

Postby waitlisteddd » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:28 pm

never thought that i would be so excited about a status checker.

it is almost as good as getting accepted. almost.

Guicciardini

Postby Guicciardini » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:34 pm

soccerfreak wrote:
Guicciardini wrote:Hmm, I just got my status checker a few days ago, but I was wondering, would submitting an additional "Why Mich" essay hurt my app/slow me down considerably?

I'm not sure, since you've already sent in two supplemental essays, but that would make for one of the better "Why x" apps I've heard of.

So is the rule a rule, or more of a guideline? I'm terrified Dean Z's going to see my extra essay and be like "pssh, this self-absorbed moron's failed to read the directions, which say 'two supplementary essays' pretty damn clearly." :(

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Guicciardini wrote:So is the rule a rule, or more of a guideline? I'm terrified Dean Z's going to see my extra essay and be like "pssh, this self-absorbed moron's failed to read the directions, which say 'two supplementary essays' pretty damn clearly." :(

I'd email and ask.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”