Michigan 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Shloime

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby Shloime » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:49 am

JTMan wrote:
evandm wrote:
evandm wrote:Previously in this forum, someone pointed out that Michigan updates their status checker at 6am Eastern. Until today, this has been the case. However, as of now, I'm still stuck on 2/15 (I was up studying for a midterm, I'm not actually checking this at 6am :)). Just wondering if others are stuck here as well or it's just me. I can't get into the admitted students site so I'm worried that if the checker stalls it may mean that my decision has been made. Anyone else?

Just saw that this happened to a group of people a couple of days ago.. weird.

FYI....Mine did the same thing the day before I received a decision =)
[/quote]

Cool! Good to hear! How'd you get your decision?

krad

Postby krad » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:52 am

Sitting at 2/15 here as well... 1/20 status checker bunch. Yikes.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:54 am

fwiw, my status froze a few days ago and no decision was made. It's stuck at 2/15 now, so my guess is that it's completely random.

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:55 am

Shloime wrote:Cool! Good to hear! How'd you get your decision?

ASW website as well as fancy packet in the mail. (Baby travelled fast I was shocked)

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:05 am

For what it's worth, I got my status checker on 12/30.

Question: My friend got an acceptance letter last week, and was told that scholly decision would come begininning of March. Is that normal? don't they normally send it right away or within a week?

whitman

Postby whitman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:10 am

Is most of that hold letter group still sitting with me at no decision?

Prime12

Postby Prime12 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:41 am

evandm wrote:Previously in this forum, someone pointed out that Michigan updates their status checker at 6am Eastern. Until today, this has been the case. However, as of now, I'm still stuck on 2/15 (I was up studying for a midterm, I'm not actually checking this at 6am :)). Just wondering if others are stuck here as well or it's just me. I can't get into the admitted students site so I'm worried that if the checker stalls it may mean that my decision has been made. Anyone else?

Mine is currently stuck at 2/15. It did the same thing a few days ago too. Hmmmmm....

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:41 am

Prime12 wrote:Mine is currently stuck at 2/15. It did the same thing a few days ago too. Hmmmmm....

Same, but I don't think it means anything.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:47 am

May have more to do with the fact that their deadline is 2/15 than anything else.

I also have this. Received checker in Dec.

ppch

Postby ppch » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:50 am

spacepenguin wrote:fwiw, my status froze a few days ago and no decision was made. It's stuck at 2/15 now, so my guess is that it's completely random.

+1 (status checker 1/20 here)

mss455

Postby mss455 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:04 pm

Stuck at 2/15 here too ... I hope it's Good Decision OR Random and nothing else lol !!!!

talkingdonkey

Postby talkingdonkey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:15 pm

whitman wrote:Is most of that hold letter group still sitting with me at no decision?

Right there with you.

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:31 pm

12/15 status checker. no hold email. no decision. no access to ASW. fml

agora139

Postby agora139 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:36 pm

talkingdonkey wrote:
whitman wrote:Is most of that hold letter group still sitting with me at no decision?

Right there with you.

i got the "hold" letter, and was accepted...from my interactions with the admissions office upon being accepted, i really don't think it was a 'hold' thing after all--the sneaky nature of a letter that kind of means a hold doesn't seem their style at all. i think it was just an acknowledgement and thank you for people who submitted sometime before mid-december.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:44 pm

agora139 wrote:
talkingdonkey wrote:

Right there with you.

i got the "hold" letter, and was accepted...from my interactions with the admissions office upon being accepted, i really don't think it was a 'hold' thing after all--the sneaky nature of a letter that kind of means a hold doesn't seem their style at all. i think it was just an acknowledgement and thank you for people who submitted sometime before mid-december.

Don't think so...I submitted at the end of November and never received that email.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm

agora139 wrote:
talkingdonkey wrote:

Right there with you.

Well, we still haven't received decisions (submitted 11/8, status checker 11/24) and other much newer applicants have. For all intents and purposes, it was a hold.

sheD

Postby sheD » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:55 pm

My checker also changed to 2/15, but stayed at complete. I was able to access the ASW yesterday. Received my checker 1/20.

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:18 pm

agora139 wrote:from my interactions with the admissions office upon being accepted, i really don't think it was a 'hold' thing after all--the sneaky nature of a letter that kind of means a hold doesn't seem their style at all. i think it was just an acknowledgement and thank you for people who submitted sometime before mid-december.

It's probably a semantics argument, but the e-mail said:

"Your file has been reviewed at least once by our staff and the admissions committee and we have found much to admire. We have not yet, however, been able to render a decision, and are continuing to review your application file in the context of the greater applicant pool."

I think the fact that they've looked at your app and haven't made a decision yet (but will later) constitutes a hold.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:28 pm

WhatSarahSaid wrote:
agora139 wrote:from my interactions with the admissions office upon being accepted, i really don't think it was a 'hold' thing after all--the sneaky nature of a letter that kind of means a hold doesn't seem their style at all. i think it was just an acknowledgement and thank you for people who submitted sometime before mid-december.

"Your file has been reviewed at least once by our staff and the admissions committee and we have found much to admire. We have not yet, however, been able to render a decision, and are continuing to review your application file in the context of the greater applicant pool."

I think the fact that they've looked at your app and haven't made a decision yet (but will later) constitutes a hold.

I've already commented on this. I spoke to Dean Z direct. The e-mail is simple a status update so you weren't going too long without hearing something. It in no way indicates your likelihood of admission or not. Files go through many levels of review.

whitman

Postby whitman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:30 pm

blowhard wrote:
WhatSarahSaid wrote:

I've already commented on this. I spoke to Dean Z direct. The e-mail is simple a status update so you weren't going too long without hearing something. It in no way indicates your likelihood of admission or not. Files go through many levels of review.

So why are some of us getting held so long without a decision when many others with similar numbers are getting responses - some of whom applied up to 3 months later? That's sort of a rhetorical question, since I know you're not in a position to answer that. It just sucks being in limbo.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:33 pm

^ Nothing in your post contradicts the concept that the e-mail constituted a hold. In fact, Penn's hold e-mail (which was explicitly indicated as a hold) includes the verbiage below:

Please know that the time it has taken to review your file in no way indicates the final decision. Again, the review process at Penn involves multiple members of the Admissions Committee reviewing each of our 6,000 applications; you can be assured your application materials are receiving a thorough review.

We may be arguing semantics here, but in substance, the fact that we have not yet received decisions after getting a preliminary review and other newer applicants are receiving decisions clearly indicates that our apps have been effectively "held".

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:28 pm

Just give me my status checker Michigan!!!! Its my last one and I need another one to obsess over

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:18 pm

blowhard wrote:
WhatSarahSaid wrote:

I want to give what you said and what Dean Z said the benefits of the doubt, yet the fact that some applicants who applied early but didn't get the email puzzles me. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to still be considered. I just don't know how Dean Z will approach our apps. Will she wait until finishing with all new apps and look at us? Or will she look at us in context of and simultaneously with new apps? If so, does she use numbers as comparing factors? The uncertainty is certainly killing me.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Thank you Michigan!!!!! I got my status checker today. :D

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:26 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Thank you Michigan!!!!! I got my status checker today. :D

ask and ye shall receive

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”