Michigan 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wolverine2014
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby wolverine2014 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:16 am

So when are you guys and gals filling out the financial aid stuff? Can any of the 1Ls comment on the process? I'll also post this question in the "Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions" thread.

User avatar
saito816
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby saito816 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:42 pm

Just got an accepted packet in the mail :shock:. It came as a huge surprise because my status checker never updated to decision mailed... I'm feeling very happy right now :D.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:11 pm

Just got status checker email. Applied 12/1, received 12/7.

GMVarun
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby GMVarun » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:22 pm

wolverine2014 wrote:So when are you guys and gals filling out the financial aid stuff? Can any of the 1Ls comment on the process? I'll also post this question in the "Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions" thread.



I am currently a 1L and can take any questions you guys have. Congrats to all who are accepted and good luck to those waiting. As far as financial aid is concerned, I filled the FAFSA in January (and sent it to all the schools I was accepted to/waiting from) if I remember right and I did the other Michigan specific stuff (the questionnaire, etc) later - I think if I remember right late Feb/ March. I was fairly certain of Michigan early on, but I still did the tedious financial aid for other schools so I could use it to leverage Michigan which worked nicely for me. In general, fill out the financial aid stuff ASAP because schools tend to have more money early in the cycle as opposed to late and for negotiation this helps.

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby timmna » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:24 pm

saito816 wrote:Just got an accepted packet in the mail :shock:. It came as a huge surprise because my status checker never updated to decision mailed... I'm feeling very happy right now :D.


Congrats! Mind saying when you submitted?

ht2988
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:07 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby ht2988 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:40 pm

RJ127 wrote:Just got status checker email. Applied 12/1, received 12/7.


Finally got mine! Applied 12/1, received 12/6, status checker 1/5. This is my top choice... Have lived in Michigan my entire life and wouldn't mind staying another 3 years for a blue & maize JD. But... even with URM selected, I'm a deny on LSN... Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst :|

User avatar
timmna
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby timmna » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:44 pm

ht2988 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:Just got status checker email. Applied 12/1, received 12/7.


Finally got mine! Applied 12/1, received 12/6, status checker 1/5. This is my top choice... Have lived in Michigan my entire life and wouldn't mind staying another 3 years for a blue & maize JD. But... even with URM selected, I'm a deny on LSN... Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst :|

Don't give up hope - I've already gotten into a school that LSP had me as an outright "deny" for. Good luck!

User avatar
saito816
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby saito816 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:16 pm

timmna wrote:
saito816 wrote:Just got an accepted packet in the mail :shock:. It came as a huge surprise because my status checker never updated to decision mailed... I'm feeling very happy right now :D.


Congrats! Mind saying when you submitted?


I submitted November 1 I believe, and got the status checker Nov 24.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:35 pm

timmna wrote:
ht2988 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:Just got status checker email. Applied 12/1, received 12/7.


Finally got mine! Applied 12/1, received 12/6, status checker 1/5. This is my top choice... Have lived in Michigan my entire life and wouldn't mind staying another 3 years for a blue & maize JD. But... even with URM selected, I'm a deny on LSN... Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst :|

Don't give up hope - I've already gotten into a school that LSP had me as an outright "deny" for. Good luck!


This. Especially for URM cycles, LSP has proven to be wildly inaccurate. Don't let their predictions affect you in the slightest.

ht2988
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:07 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby ht2988 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:58 pm

RJ127 wrote:
timmna wrote:
ht2988 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:Just got status checker email. Applied 12/1, received 12/7.


Finally got mine! Applied 12/1, received 12/6, status checker 1/5. This is my top choice... Have lived in Michigan my entire life and wouldn't mind staying another 3 years for a blue & maize JD. But... even with URM selected, I'm a deny on LSN... Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst :|

Don't give up hope - I've already gotten into a school that LSP had me as an outright "deny" for. Good luck!


This. Especially for URM cycles, LSP has proven to be wildly inaccurate. Don't let their predictions affect you in the slightest.


Thanks! Haven't given up hope entirely - but I'm trying to be pragmatic about this... Looking forward to receiving a decision, whatever Goddess has in store for me :)

User avatar
FortuneFavorsTheBold
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:54 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:10 pm

its no secret that the status checker updates EVERYDAY with (complete)....but has anyone else been at complete as long as 10/26? I figured by now it would of switched to decision made.

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby T6Hopeful » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:13 pm

FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:its no secret that the status checker updates EVERYDAY with (complete)....but has anyone else been at complete as long as 10/26? I figured by now it would of switched to decision made.

I'm not apart of it, but there's an entire club :D :
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=140941
Don't know if any of them still haven't heard back yet.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:17 pm

Yo I just checked my mail to find two letters from Michigan. Apparently they figured that I was a candidate for scholarship $. It was only 10K but still I'm pretty freaking ecstatic... especially considering I was early decision and already loved the school.

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby Entchen » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:22 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Yo I just checked my mail to find two letters from Michigan. Apparently they figured that I was a candidate for scholarship $. It was only 10K but still I'm pretty freaking ecstatic... especially considering I was early decision and already loved the school.

Hooray! Congrats!

Hoping some mail from Michigan has reached other parts of our fair city today, but you also got in before me, so maybe I get to wait longer.

What was the second letter?

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:29 pm

Entchen wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Yo I just checked my mail to find two letters from Michigan. Apparently they figured that I was a candidate for scholarship $. It was only 10K but still I'm pretty freaking ecstatic... especially considering I was early decision and already loved the school.

Hooray! Congrats!

Hoping some mail from Michigan has reached other parts of our fair city today, but you also got in before me, so maybe I get to wait longer.

What was the second letter?


Thanks! It was that they received my deposit and a little booklet with things you need to be a successful law student. I'm going to check it out later.

DreamShake
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby DreamShake » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:44 pm

saito816 wrote:
timmna wrote:
saito816 wrote:Just got an accepted packet in the mail :shock:. It came as a huge surprise because my status checker never updated to decision mailed... I'm feeling very happy right now :D.


Congrats! Mind saying when you submitted?


I submitted November 1 I believe, and got the status checker Nov 24.


Congrats! You give me hope...fellow 11/1 submitter with the same status checker e-mail date. Come on, Michigan...

reversejinx
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby reversejinx » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:04 pm

GMVarun wrote:I was fairly certain of Michigan early on, but I still did the tedious financial aid for other schools so I could use it to leverage Michigan which worked nicely for me. In general, fill out the financial aid stuff ASAP because schools tend to have more money early in the cycle as opposed to late and for negotiation this helps.


Thanks for taking/answering questions! Can you elaborate on this? How exactly did you leverage Michigan w/financial aid info? Are you referring to need-based scholarships, or just strictly to how much of a FAFSA loan you were able to get? And is FAFSA negotiable?

User avatar
FMaze
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby FMaze » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:56 am

Because I am a reverse splitter (3.9 – 165) I decided to take a shot at a top ten school [Michigan] via an ED, but since I did not consider myself a shoe-in I also applied at other schools, including U Miami. When I received the favorable ED acceptance I had to withdraw from all the schools I had applied to, which I did (including U Miami, even though I never heard back from them).

Over the holidays I visited Miami and LOVE the city (South Beach, Coconut Grove, the Keys, etc.)., plus I drove through the U Miami campus―it is gorgeous. To my amazement, I just received an acceptance to U Miami. I researched them and came away very impressed. My guess is that they would offer a fair amount of $$$ assistance. Plus, I heard a U Miami law degree is gold in South Florida. I can see myself living there!

My question is, do any of you know of anyone who has successfully talked their way out of an ED because of a change of heart?

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:58 am

I bet you could do it if you tried really, really, really hard, but it's seen as quite a low move. If you want out of the ED, I would wait until next year and apply again.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby Knock » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:03 am

Tanicius wrote:I bet you could do it if you tried really, really, really hard, but it's seen as quite a low move. If you want out of the ED, I would wait until next year and apply again.


I actually don't think it's that enormous of a deal. Law school don't want you to be forced there, against your will. Just explain politely that you'd like to withdraw your ED, maybe for financial reasons, etc.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:49 am

Knock wrote:
Tanicius wrote:I bet you could do it if you tried really, really, really hard, but it's seen as quite a low move. If you want out of the ED, I would wait until next year and apply again.


I actually don't think it's that enormous of a deal. Law school don't want you to be forced there, against your will. Just explain politely that you'd like to withdraw your ED, maybe for financial reasons, etc.


The other problem is saying yes to Miami after withdrawing.

GMVarun
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby GMVarun » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:19 am

reversejinx wrote:
GMVarun wrote:I was fairly certain of Michigan early on, but I still did the tedious financial aid for other schools so I could use it to leverage Michigan which worked nicely for me. In general, fill out the financial aid stuff ASAP because schools tend to have more money early in the cycle as opposed to late and for negotiation this helps.


Thanks for taking/answering questions! Can you elaborate on this? How exactly did you leverage Michigan w/financial aid info? Are you referring to need-based scholarships, or just strictly to how much of a FAFSA loan you were able to get? And is FAFSA negotiable?


Sure. I basically used my lowest ranked acceptance from which I got a significant amount of money (UT/UCLA/Vandy) range and asked the next highest acceptance, very politely that if they could match it so I could attend their school. I initially only got a very good package from the lowest school, and basically nothing from anyone else. I was able to get decent money from the lower T-14 this way and Michigan basically matched my Cornell/Georgetown offers. Michigan's was actually better given low COA. The goal here though is to be respectful and absolutely do NOT lie. Do NOT fabricate other people's financial offers. If you read Dean Zearfoss's blog, she in fact specifically has an article on just this. I sent them an attachment that had a scanned copy of each of my awards as well as a detailed email which was basically another why mich.

This means apply broadly and do all the financial paperwork broadly ( and early). This also might mean (at least for me it did) sending in more than one deposit - just make sure none of your deposits indicate that you are withdrawing from other schools (usually the first deposit does not, but double check with every school). It's shitty to have to pay more than one deposit but it was well worth it for me. Especially since I think schools intentionally slow down financial aid negotiating to see if you will deposit. Also keep in mind that it's Michigan's policy not to negotiate once they give you some money so this was mainly successful for me because I had been given no money to begin with. You could try if you got money to do this. I have heard stories of it working, but I cannot really speak to this.

Edit: This has nothing to do with the FAFSA. I had 0 on my FAFSA (I think most people get this) but still got nothing initially from Michigan. In my email to them I cited the other schools' offers and had a bit on my particular need. I think, based on the amount I got, it was largely because of my leverage and not because of my need story. Michigan does look at need aid, but you are far more likely to be successful getting merit aid.

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby Entchen » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:24 pm

Just got email to apply for Darrow :D

I was hoping to get some money, but definitely thought my GPA would put me out of the running for that. Obviously they invite lots of people to apply, so I'm not counting on anything, but still exciting to be considered.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:27 pm

Entchen wrote:Just got email to apply for Darrow :D

I was hoping to get some money, but definitely thought my GPA would put me out of the running for that. Obviously they invite lots of people to apply, so I'm not counting on anything, but still exciting to be considered.


It seems there was good news heading out. Congratulations!!

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby Entchen » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:33 pm

AreJay711 wrote:It seems there was good news heading out. Congratulations!!

Thanks :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackpi, finaciardi, hip to be Square and 9 guests