Michigan 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wiseguy33

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby wiseguy33 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:11 pm

soupisgood wrote:10/26 completion date... no news yet :( Then again, I'm a splitter, so I guess I can't be expecting good news already.

Chin up. We've got semi-similar numbers, and I have a feeling we'll both get in. Plus, didn't you already get into a T14? I remember a giant shoe getting an admit somewhere. :lol:

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:14 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
soupisgood wrote:10/26 completion date... no news yet :( Then again, I'm a splitter, so I guess I can't be expecting good news already.

I got in already with very similar numbers that are in your profile. You should be good to go.

Really? That makes me feel a bit better. :) Did you write a UMich essay? I was under the impression that a good chunk of the admits wrote one.

wiseguy33 wrote:

Chin up. We've got semi-similar numbers, and I have a feeling we'll both get in. Plus, didn't you already get into a T14? I remember a giant shoe getting an admit somewhere. :lol:

:lol: Indeed, that was me. Got into Cornell last week.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:16 pm

soupisgood wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:

I got in already with very similar numbers that are in your profile. You should be good to go.

Really? That makes me feel a bit better. :) Did you write a UMich essay? I was under the impression that a good chunk of the admits wrote one.

Yeah I wrote a why umich essay. I also submitted the first day the app opened.

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:18 pm

soupisgood wrote: :lol: Indeed, that was me. Got into Cornell last week.

Congrats!

I think it's depressing for me to see everyone else get in at all these places, seeing how many people applied in October, etc.

Frankly, I was working more on my Halloween costume on 10/26 than my LS apps. :P So I guess I'm being punished by having to wait to hear back.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:19 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
soupisgood wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:

Yeah I wrote a why umich essay. I also submitted the first day the app opened.

Ahh well congrats, and hopefully I get lucky! :)

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:20 pm

NZA wrote:
soupisgood wrote: :lol: Indeed, that was me. Got into Cornell last week.

Congrats!

I think it's depressing for me to see everyone else get in at all these places, seeing how many people applied in October, etc.

Frankly, I was working more on my Halloween costume on 10/26 than my LS apps. :P So I guess I'm being punished by having to wait to hear back.

Thanks! Though trust me, when I look at all the September applicants, I feel like a slacker. :P

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:32 pm

--ImageRemoved--

December and snow!

coolymx

Postby coolymx » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:47 pm

it wasn't snowing when I was there yesterday... but windy for sure.

Man I have a pile of paper work on my desk and all I'm thinking is...why the heck haven't I gotten a status checker yet?!

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Just noticed that I actually went complete 10/2 not 11/26... oops

so maybe I shouldn't freak until late December

Dinho

Postby Dinho » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:42 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Just noticed that I actually went complete 10/2 not 11/26... oops

so maybe I shouldn't freak until late December

As a URM with a 175+ and a 3.5 you probably shouldn't freak out at all.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:04 pm

Just sent app in today. I wasn't going to apply, but after the letter where Dean Zearfoss signed and wrote a little note to me...I figured why not. I was trying to run away from the cold though.

hellome

Postby hellome » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:38 pm

i think i'm in?
just logged on to the admitted students site
haven't tried in the past couple days so i don't know when this exactly happened
it's been so long since i submitted i don't really know how i feel...

oh and also, when i log in, i only have two links on the initial page:
"admissions communications" and "financial aid app"

the "mail and money" tab doesn't exist for me, is this normal?

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:42 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Just sent app in today. I wasn't going to apply, but after the letter where Dean Zearfoss signed and wrote a little note to me...I figured why not. I was trying to run away from the cold though.

Good luck! :)

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:44 pm

hellome wrote:i think i'm in?
haven't tried in the past couple days so i don't know when this exactly happened

Yeah it was like that for me for a day or two then it changed. Congrats.

hellome

Postby hellome » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:46 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
hellome wrote:i think i'm in?

Yeah it was like that for me for a day or two then it changed. Congrats.

thanks, you just made my day :wink:

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:47 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Just sent app in today. I wasn't going to apply, but after the letter where Dean Zearfoss signed and wrote a little note to me...I figured why not. I was trying to run away from the cold though.

Damn, I also got a letter with a handwritten note from Zearfoss. She said Michigan loves grads from my undergrad. Now I need to question the sincerity of her comments. Did she also tell you she LOVES undergrads from your school?
I attend an ivy so I believed it, but now I'm beginning to wonder. Maybe her handwritten note is simply to boost the number of people applying....DAMN

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:51 pm

masterthearts wrote:

Damn, I also got a letter with a handwritten note from Zearfoss. She said Michigan loves grads from my undergrad. Now I need to question the sincerity of her comments. Did she also tell you she LOVES undergrads from your school?
I attend an ivy so I believed it, but now I'm beginning to wonder. Maybe her handwritten note is simply to boost the number of people applying....DAMN

I notice a lot of these notes (from all schools) tend to be very short and generic. "I love <insert one thing that proved I read your resume or PS>!"

Edit: Oh, I thought this was an acceptance letter.

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:52 pm

masterthearts wrote:

I got a letter too, about environmental law.

But just because she did it for everyone doesn't make it less special. I mean, think about it: how many of those letters did she send out? Hundreds? That's a lot of letter writing and signing, which at least shows she's willing to take a substantial time out of her day to make people feel good about themselves.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:58 pm

Kili wrote:I applied mostly bc of Dean Z's letter. Doesn't really seem like much until you consider how many people she does it for.

I was wondering if she has one of those stamps that resembles a handwritten note. You've seen those, right? Maybe she just takes her stamper out and has different stamps with different comments and she puts one of say 10 stamps on everyone's letter that goes out.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:00 pm

masterthearts wrote:
Kili wrote:I applied mostly bc of Dean Z's letter. Doesn't really seem like much until you consider how many people she does it for.

I was wondering if she has one of those stamps that resembles a handwritten note. You've seen those, right? Maybe she just takes her stamper out and has different stamps with different comments and she puts one of say 10 stamps on everyone's letter that goes out.

Unless she has one for each major, I doubt that this is the case. I wouldn't be surprised if it was not Dean Z but anyone of a number of people in the admissions office who write them though. Still is above and beyond what other schools do.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:07 pm

masterthearts wrote:

There is no way I can answer this without exposing what my undergrad is. But no that's not exactly what she said.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:31 pm

masterthearts wrote:

Ego-stroke achieved.

Really, though, if her (apparently) handwritten signature is on a letter, I doubt she'd allow somebody else either to write the message and let her sign it or to sign a facsimile signature himself. Doesn't really seem like Dean Z's style. Here's to inspecting such a message on a letter sent to me! :P

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:40 pm

Check the paper and see if it was actually hand signed. There should be impression marks on the backside.

I went to information sessions (not Michigan) at an Ivy (grad school) and state school (UG), the tone toward applicants were definitely different. They absolutely stroke the Ivy ego. I don't know if it really translate to anything in the admission process though.

Still, I would like to receive one of those notes.

The notes Dean Z write on the acceptance letters are really cool though. Berkeley won't even send a letter (to be green) :)

itsnotrealme

Postby itsnotrealme » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:19 pm

Any one has the same experience before.
Last night, I tried to log in my status checker, but the system said my account didn't exist!
I was able to check in today, but it is still COMPLETE. Does the incident of last night indicate anything? They might reject/admit me and pull my account out yesterday/today?

Thanks

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”