Michigan 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DreamShake

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby DreamShake » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:01 am

NZA wrote:
DreamShake wrote:I agree, but the word itself lends an unequivocally negative air to the discussion. I think that's unwarranted, given how stressful the process is. She's always seemed much more diplomatic than that (as evidenced by her own post).

If the admissions dean of a major law school suggests that people are taking the application process to a place that it need not be taken (emotionally/fetishtically/psychologically/whatever), I think she'd be one of the people whose word we ought to take. :D

Not really sure how that follows; an admissions dean isn't a psychologist. Regardless, I'm not saying she was inaccurate in labeling the behavior neurotic, just that it seems out of character for her to be that blunt/negative.

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:15 am

DreamShake wrote:Not really sure how that follows; an admissions dean isn't a psychologist. Regardless, I'm not saying she was inaccurate in labeling the behavior neurotic, just that it seems out of character for her to be that blunt/negative.

Ah, I see. Well, in any case, it apparently WAS out of character, since she said so in her post. Or rather, said that the Michiganap2010 (or wtv) user was exaggerating or taking her telephonic communications out of context.

Nonetheless, I think even a generous, kind-hearted person would have no trouble describing someone logging in "many, many times a day, everyday for more than a month" as acting neurotically. Since I am a cold-blooded asshole, I would use decidedly more colorful language to describe such a person. :P

I kid. But I see your point, sir/madam, and you are indeed correct: Dean Z does not seem the judgmental type whatsoever.

Dwigt

Postby Dwigt » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:55 pm

Still sitting at complete. Received status checker 10/26. Cornell rejection has me on edge.

Please be kind to me, Michigan! Your buildings are beautiful, your faculty is top-notch, and your admissions dean is the best!

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:05 pm

I'm sure this has been answered, but how do I handle Section VI of the app? (asks for your plans prior to enrolling in law school) I'm out of school and working, so I'm assuming a resume is sufficient to address this?

Or do I need to write an addendum saying, "I am currently working at XXX, and plan to continue there until I begin law school."

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:08 pm

The Gentleman wrote:I'm sure this has been answered, but how do I handle Section VI of the app? (asks for your plans prior to enrolling in law school) I'm out of school and working, so I'm assuming a resume is sufficient to address this?

Or do I need to write an addendum saying, "I am currently working at XXX, and plan to continue there until I begin law school."

I only included my resume and figured this would be enough (I have been out of school for a while). I think they want people who are taking a gap year (not working) to address what they are doing.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:13 pm

bdubs wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:I'm sure this has been answered, but how do I handle Section VI of the app? (asks for your plans prior to enrolling in law school) I'm out of school and working, so I'm assuming a resume is sufficient to address this?

I only included my resume and figured this would be enough (I have been out of school for a while). I think they want people who are taking a gap year (not working) to address what they are doing.

Thnx! Probably submitting tonight!

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:24 pm

Oy, I guess they're not joking around when they say 3+ weeks for a status checker. Although, people with my submit AND completion date have gotten them. Hopefully not correlated with the speed of my decision...

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:27 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:Oy, I guess they're not joking around when they say 3+ weeks for a status checker. Although, people with my submit AND completion date have gotten them. Hopefully not correlated with the speed of my decision...

I could go and search for your dates, buuuut...I could just ask for them again. :) When did you submit?

I submitted 11/18, and got an email yesterday, 11/29, stating that, "You will receive an email from our office in 3-4 weeks with your University of Michigan ID Number and the URL to our Online Status Checker."

It seems from what I've been reading on here that they do not use the typical OSC? That would explain why: if some poor, benighted soul is entering all of our information manually (as opposed to having most of the stuff instantly created by LSAC, which I think is how the "regular" OSC works), then I could understand why it is taking so long.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:32 pm

NZA wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:Oy, I guess they're not joking around when they say 3+ weeks for a status checker. Although, people with my submit AND completion date have gotten them. Hopefully not correlated with the speed of my decision...

I could go and search for your dates, buuuut...I could just ask for them again. :) When did you submit?

I submitted 11/18, and got an email yesterday, 11/29, stating that, "You will receive an email from our office in 3-4 weeks with your University of Michigan ID Number and the URL to our Online Status Checker."

It seems from what I've been reading on here that they do not use the typical OSC? That would explain why: if some poor, benighted soul is entering all of our information manually (as opposed to having most of the stuff instantly created by LSAC, which I think is how the "regular" OSC works), then I could understand why it is taking so long.

Well I submitted 11/08, and got that acknowledgment email on 11/12. But, I saw someone with those exact dates get a status checker in last Wednesday's wave. And yeah they have their own Michigan ID instead of using your firstinitial/lastinitial/last 4 lsac numbers. I guess I could be patient for another week or two, but Mich is one of my top choices so I guess I'm more anxious for any sign of acknowledgment from them.

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:39 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
NZA wrote:

Well I submitted 11/08, and got that acknowledgment email on 11/12. But, I saw someone with those exact dates get a status checker in last Wednesday's wave. And yeah they have their own Michigan ID instead of using your firstinitial/lastinitial/last 4 lsac numbers. I guess I could be patient for another week or two, but Mich is one of my top choices so I guess I'm more anxious for any sign of acknowledgment from them.

:( A month is definitely a long time to wait for an OSC. I feel the same way about Michigan...it's the one school I've actually put a bit of my self into (as in, wanting to go there so badly), and it's also the one that is seemingly the most cryptic about an applicant's status.

C'est la vie, I guess. Maybe we'll get our acceptance packets the week before Christmas or something. A true Christmas miracle. Helluva gift, right?

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:45 pm

NZA wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:
NZA wrote:

:( A month is definitely a long time to wait for an OSC. I feel the same way about Michigan...it's the one school I've actually put a bit of my self into (as in, wanting to go there so badly), and it's also the one that is seemingly the most cryptic about an applicant's status.

C'est la vie, I guess. Maybe we'll get our acceptance packets the week before Christmas or something. A true Christmas miracle. Helluva gift, right?

I'd say! But I was also hoping to get my parents school sweatshirts from whatever school I decide upon for Christmas. I told them that it may be very late before they get them, but we'll see. Unfortunately I probably won't know for sure until February at the earliest where I can commit.

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:10 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:I'd say! But I was also hoping to get my parents school sweatshirts from whatever school I decide upon for Christmas. I told them that it may be very late before they get them, but we'll see. Unfortunately I probably won't know for sure until February at the earliest where I can commit.

Ah, indeed! That's a cool gift idea...I might have to borrow that idea from you. ;) This is assuming I actually manage to get my pathetic self in to a law school, of course.

If I don't, my parents may well get coupons good for another year of their son ashamedly occupying their basement! What more could the proud parents of a college graduate ask for in this, the year of our Lord 2010? :roll:

Well, good luck, homie. Post here the second you get that package!

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:18 am

Haha. I love that idea, that's really cute. I really hope I'll know where I'm going by Christmas.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:26 am

shanshan333 wrote:Haha. I love that idea, that's really cute. I really hope I'll know where I'm going by Christmas.

True, but unless you got into a pretty much cycle-ending school (e.g. Harvard, which I didn't bother applying to) or secure an ED acceptance somewhere (which is starting to make me super nervous), I don't know if any of us will know 100% for certain where we're going by Christmas :? I did let me parents know that I could be as many as two months late with gifts.

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:37 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
shanshan333 wrote:Haha. I love that idea, that's really cute. I really hope I'll know where I'm going by Christmas.

True, but unless you got into a pretty much cycle-ending school (e.g. Harvard, which I didn't bother applying to) or secure an ED acceptance somewhere (which is starting to make me super nervous), I don't know if any of us will know 100% for certain where we're going by Christmas :? I did let me parents know that I could be as many as two months late with gifts.

Hah. Yupp, that's my situation. Waiting on an ED and then I guess I will have a better idea of whether I will even know by Christmas. I'm hopeful but doubtful at the same time.

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:38 am

I'm ED Michigan, and I would LOVE to do this for my parents too :( please michigan, love me back!

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:46 am

almostfamous wrote:

I'm ED Michigan, and I would LOVE to do this for my parents too :( please michigan, love me back!

Good luck! :) One day you'll be cool. Look under your bed, it'll set you free.

lshamlet

Postby lshamlet » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:53 am

I REALLY hope I get a status checker today (Wednesday) :( I applied early November and was left out of the last round of status checkers last week...sigh...

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:01 am

I'm just curious, is anyone still left from the 10/6 complete group besides me haha? I have over an 75th LSAT and over median GPA. I didn't do any extra essays so maybe I'll get WL'd since the rest of my app may not have been enough to impress them.

moxiepostulate

Postby moxiepostulate » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:02 am

lshamlet wrote:I REALLY hope I get a status checker today (Wednesday) :( I applied early November and was left out of the last round of status checkers last week...sigh...

+1!

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:09 pm

Just submitted a few days ago. 4.0/168 Here's hoping! :D

calvmpv

Postby calvmpv » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:31 pm

I know this same thing has probably been posted a million times already...but the thread is 52 pages long haha. :?

Status checker updated today (as per usual)...still says complete...no decision mailed or anything...

But I was able to log in to the Admitted Students site today for the first time. It doesn't say I was admitted or anything though, so I'm not sure. It's just a blue page that says "Welcome, Mark Your Calendar, etc."

Is this what other people's admitted students login has looked like???!

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:33 pm

calvmpv wrote:I know this same thing has probably been posted a million times already...but the thread is 52 pages long haha. :?

Status checker updated today (as per usual)...still says complete...no decision mailed or anything...

But I was able to log in to the Admitted Students site today for the first time. It doesn't say I was admitted or anything though, so I'm not sure. It's just a blue page that says "Welcome, Mark Your Calendar, etc."

When did you apply/when did you first go complete?

calvmpv

Postby calvmpv » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:38 pm

Entchen wrote:
calvmpv wrote:I know this same thing has probably been posted a million times already...but the thread is 52 pages long haha. :?

Submitted - 10/19
Complete - 10/26

I just got linked to a "welcome, congratulations" letter...I hope this isn't one of those cases where I can logon but am not really admitted!

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:40 pm

calvmpv wrote:
Entchen wrote:

Submitted - 10/19
Complete - 10/26

I just got linked to a "welcome, congratulations" letter...I hope this isn't one of those cases where I can logon but am not really admitted!

Congrats if you really did get in! And it looks pretty certain if you've made it to those pages.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”