Michigan 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vertex

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby vertex » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:37 pm

What do people think of the single suite? Is it worth the extra cost?

SGO

Postby SGO » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:28 am

2L at Michigan here, willing to answer any questions.

Also, subleasing my apartment for the summer. 1 bedroom, quiet building, partially furnished, 5 min walk to law school. PM me for details.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:33 am

SGO wrote:2L at Michigan here, willing to answer any questions.

Also, subleasing my apartment for the summer. 1 bedroom, quiet building, partially furnished, 5 min walk to law school. PM me for details.

This thread really isn't the place for a post like this. Start a new thread offering to answer questions if you like, but don't clutter up a thread on a more specific topic that's already over a thousand posts in length.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:11 pm

St.Remy wrote:
SGO wrote:2L at Michigan here, willing to answer any questions.

This thread really isn't the place for a post like this. Start a new thread offering to answer questions if you like, but don't clutter up a thread on a more specific topic that's already over a thousand posts in length.

This kind of thread is traditionally where this was done. It's better to clutter up the Michigan thread with stuff pertinent to people at Michigan than to clutter up the entire board. But thanks for playing.

Look through past years if you don't believe me. In March when you're scrambling for an apartment you'll appreciate being able to find a roommate or ask advice about housing here.

Edit: While there is a 1L/2L thread...lots of advice was given in a thread like this. People would go to the 2L thread if they had a specific question but 2Ls would also drop into the acceptance thread and weigh in on discussions.

Edit 2: Can you really clutter up a thread that is 600 posts of "OMG my status checker date updated!" and "I've checked five times today but I'm still not in!". 1,000 posts is nothing. BP before the delete hit 10,000 pages
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:27 pm

I haven't really looked to see if you guys created one or not, but you should make a Michigan Class of 2014 thread for the people that are actually in. This would help people read through posts where people talk about housing and such instead of status checkers moving. (It also fits how past years have done it...once in school everything goes by your graduation year not your 1L year.

Edit: Ok, I found one but it seems like people waiting to hear are also posting in there... This will make it much harder come April when people decide to go to Mich and want to re-read the whole discussion. Also, people coordinating meet-ups during admitted weekends and posting their impressions will get flooded by people checking statuses...

For example: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=83031 And no, I didn't create it even though I stole Post 1...

/procrastinatingoutlining

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:57 pm

blowhard wrote: Edit: While there is a 1L/2L thread...lots of advice was given in a thread like this. People would go to the 2L thread if they had a specific question but 2Ls would also drop into the acceptance thread and weigh in on discussions.

There are indeed better spaces to have "ask a 2L" threads than in the middle of another thread, thus my post. Just because the threads bled together last year doesn't mean that it should have. Obviously if the 2L is responding to an already posed question then that is fine.

blowhard wrote: Edit: Ok, I found one but it seems like people waiting to hear are also posting in there... This will make it much harder come April when people decide to go to Mich and want to re-read the whole discussion. Also, people coordinating meet-ups during admitted weekends and posting their impressions will get flooded by people checking statuses...

I'm glad you've discovered the value of people posting in the proper threads on the proper topic. Yay learning!

AfroThunder1212

Postby AfroThunder1212 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:59 pm

How long does it usually take to receive a status checker or email confirming your application has been received?

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:00 pm

St.Remy wrote:
blowhard wrote: Edit: While there is a 1L/2L thread...lots of advice was given in a thread like this. People would go to the 2L thread if they had a specific question but 2Ls would also drop into the acceptance thread and weigh in on discussions.

There are indeed better spaces to have "ask a 2L" threads than in the middle of another thread, thus my post. Just because the threads bled together last year doesn't mean that it should have. Obviously if the 2L is responding to an already posed question then that is fine.

blowhard wrote: Edit: Ok, I found one but it seems like people waiting to hear are also posting in there... This will make it much harder come April when people decide to go to Mich and want to re-read the whole discussion. Also, people coordinating meet-ups during admitted weekends and posting their impressions will get flooded by people checking statuses...

I'm glad you've discovered the value of people posting in the proper threads on the proper topic. Yay learning!

Dude, if you plan on coming to Michigan you need to become way less of a douche. At least to fellow students who you'll be turning to for outlines and advice. He was OFFERING help. As was I.

He didn't create an "ask a 2L thread". He said he was available if anyone had questions and posted an advertisement for his apt. I fail to see how that's more cluttering than half of the posts ITT.

And he was on topic. This thread title suggests it is a thread for those applying this year and thus anything that will be helpful for those applying. The 1L/2L thread tends to be more for people who are in. He could be offering advice on how to apply or whether Michigan is right for you.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:10 pm

blowhard wrote: He didn't create an ask a 2L thread. He said he was available if anyone had questions and posted an advertisement for his apt.

That's my point exactly, he should create an "ask a 2L" thread rather than launching the topic in the middle of this one. You think after the post is buried in oh, I don't know, a day, that people are going to sift through this thread looking for it? It makes more sense and would be more helpful to start a new thread.

blowhard wrote: I fail to see how that's more cluttering than half of your posts ITT.

All two of them, with this being the third? Nice try.

blowhard wrote:And he was on topic. This thread title suggests anything that will be helpful for those applying. The 1L/2L thread tends to be more for people who are in.

Do you really not understand that "helping those who are applying" and "helping those who are deciding" are two different topics? They are, and they should have separate threads.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:17 pm

St.Remy wrote:
blowhard wrote: I fail to see how that's more cluttering than half of your posts ITT.

All two of them, with this being the third? Nice try.

I didn't mean to say yours. I had already corrected it by the time you posted. If you only have two posts, I'm not sure why you are so invested in this thread or feel that you are the master of it and what's appropriate.

St.Remy wrote:Do you really not understand that "helping those who are applying" and "helping those who are deciding" are two different topics? They are, and they should have separate threads.

Do you not realize that they don't want 30 threads dealing with Michigan on the board? I've been on this board for a long time. (My post count and join date have been altered) I'm well aware of what clutters threads and when a separate one would be helpful.

There is already a 2L thread but it deals primarily with people who are in. My point is, whether this is the best place or not, he was offering to help people. Cut him a break and don't be such a huge douche. If for nothing else, Dean Z periodically reads these threads and has even made blog posts about people being ridiculous on here. Do you really want to create a reputation before you get here?
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:18 pm

AfroThunder1212 wrote:How long does it usually take to receive a status checker or email confirming your application has been received?

Confirmation email comes very quickly, only a couple days for me. The status checker email took closer to a week, week and a half.

ziggie

Postby ziggie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:26 pm

St.Remy wrote:
AfroThunder1212 wrote:How long does it usually take to receive a status checker or email confirming your application has been received?

Confirmation email comes very quickly, only a couple days for me. The status checker email took closer to a week, week and a half.

The status checker email took a little longer for me: applied 11/1, status checker on 11/22.

mst

Postby mst » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:50 pm

Yeah... I applied like 20 days ago and I'm still without a status checker....

NZA

Postby NZA » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:12 pm

mst wrote:Yeah... I applied like 20 days ago and I'm still without a status checker....

It's been a week for me without a status checker. However, I had to add a supplemental essay, and when I emailed the admissions department, they said they had my application. Maybe they're just taking their time updating the status checker? I don't know. :)

ziggie

Postby ziggie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:21 pm

NZA wrote:
mst wrote:Yeah... I applied like 20 days ago and I'm still without a status checker....

It's been a week for me without a status checker. However, I had to add a supplemental essay, and when I emailed the admissions department, they said they had my application. Maybe they're just taking their time updating the status checker? I don't know. :)

You could be right, when I got my status checker my app was was already complete.

U-Bahn

Postby U-Bahn » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:47 pm

i'm a splitter with 171/3.3, and i'm still waiting for my status checker e-mail.

how does michigan feel about splitters?

what would be my chances?

god..this is killing me..

NZA

Postby NZA » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:52 pm

U-Bahn wrote:i'm a splitter with 171/3.3, and i'm still waiting for my status checker e-mail.

I don't know...here're the stats from TLS:

stats.php?school=u-of-michigan#171_33

I'm sure you have a decent chance! Especially if you had a hard major, something science-y or some such. They probably take that into account, right? Anyway, don't sweat it. Your LSAT is awesome, and the best you can do now is just chill out and enjoy the holidays, really. :)

EDIT: For grammar.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:54 pm

NZA wrote:
U-Bahn wrote:i'm a splitter with 171/3.3, and i'm still waiting for my status checker e-mail.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/s ... gan#171_33

I'm sure you have a decent chance! Especially if you had a hard major, something science-y or some such. They probably take that into account, right? Anyway, don't sweat it. Your LSAT is awesome, and the best you can do now is just chill out and enjoy the holidays, really. :)

How much public interest experience do you have? Dean Z loves PI... Have you ever lived on Antarctica? If so....auto-in.

U-Bahn

Postby U-Bahn » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:04 pm

NZA wrote:

wow, thanks for the info.

i majored liberal arts.. not so attractive right?

NZA

Postby NZA » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:10 pm

U-Bahn wrote:wow, thanks for the info.

i majored liberal arts.. not so attractive right?

Haha! Well, man, I majored in Environmental Studies (not Environmental Science), so I think we're in the same boat. But, c'est la vie, it's in the adcoms' hands now.

cortnf

Postby cortnf » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:37 pm

blowhard wrote:
NZA wrote:

How much public interest experience do you have? Dean Z loves PI... Have you ever lived on Antarctica? If so....auto-in.

hahahaha this is so true

bleedblue

Postby bleedblue » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:02 pm

Everyone should refuse to go here unless they fire Rich Rod.

Postby 4102011 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:21 pm

blowhard wrote:
Do you not realize that they don't want 30 threads dealing with Michigan on the board? I've been on this board for a long time. (My post count and join date have been altered) I'm well aware of what clutters threads and when a separate one would be helpful.

There is already a 2L thread but it deals primarily with people who are in. My point is, whether this is the best place or not, he was offering to help people. Cut him a break and don't be such a huge douche. If for nothing else, Dean Z periodically reads these threads and has even made blog posts about people being ridiculous on here. Do you really want to create a reputation before you get here?

Ruh ruh. My reputation is going to be a crazed Michigan stalker!

Who else enjoyed the gaaaame today? <3

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:35 pm

[quote="U-Bahn"]i'm a splitter with 171/3.3, and i'm still waiting for my status checker e-mail.

god..this is killing me..[/quote

If Mich accepts me, then we will balance each other out for the USNWR stats since I have 163 lsat and 3.8 GPA. I think if they accept both of us as a pair, then we balance each other out.

farrellaroonie

Postby farrellaroonie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:35 pm

bleedblue wrote:Everyone should refuse to go here unless they fire Rich Rod.

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”