Michigan 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cortnf

Re: Michigan 2011

Postby cortnf » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:33 pm

cortnf wrote:
bdubs wrote:When do status checkers generally go out? Seems to not be much activity for those of us still waiting on our checkers.

still waiting on a checker here

On a whim, i searched my email for "University of Michigan ID Number". I applied for undergrad, so I had one already. Pasted that into the status checker website, and I'm complete.

Never got the status checker email but this worked for me. If you're still waiting on a status checker and you applied to UMich for undergrad, try that number.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:35 pm

thereelshaq wrote:In via the admitted students website! Now I know who i'll be cheering for when they play the Buckeyes on the 27th...

3.8/168

I really hope they're still giving love for 168/3.8xers....... :|

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:01 pm

From the FAQ on the Admitted Students site:

"What time zone is Ann Arbor in?

We are at the western edge of the Eastern time zone, so we have the same time as our friends on the East Coast, but it is light for about an hour later in the evening. "

Haha, I wonder if they know how big a selling point the extra hour of daylight in the evening is. As someone who loves daylight but hates waking up early, I'm going to take this into serious consideration :)

cortnf

Postby cortnf » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:02 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:From the FAQ on the Admitted Students site:

We are at the western edge of the Eastern time zone, so we have the same time as our friends on the East Coast, but it is light for about an hour later in the evening. "

Haha, I wonder if they know how big a selling point the extra hour of daylight in the evening is. As someone who loves daylight but hates waking up early, I'm going to take this into serious consideration :)

I grew up in Michigan. I did undergrad on the East Coast. There is no discernible difference.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:14 pm

An extra hour of daylight in the evening translate into an extra hour of darkness in the morning. You actually will feel like you are getting earlier (it stays dark later), which does not work very well for me as a non-morning person.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:14 pm

cortnf wrote:

I grew up in Michigan. I did undergrad on the East Coast. There is no discernible difference.

Oh, that's a shame. But not a big shame :)

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:15 pm

r6_philly wrote:

An extra hour of daylight in the evening translate into an extra hour of darkness in the morning. You actually will feel like you are getting earlier (it stays dark later), which does not work very well for me as a non-morning person.

I'm rarely awake in time for this to matter in any case. Though, I guess that could change in law school...

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:18 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I'm rarely awake in time for this to matter in any case. Though, I guess that could change in law school...

I def notice a difference but I'm lucky enough to be in a section that has class start at 10:40 twice a week and 9:05 the other three days so its not too bad. Another section has 8 a.m. class 4 times a week though.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:18 pm

cortnf wrote:

That also depends what latitude you undergrad was. I'm sure there is no difference between Michigan and the Carolina's and south but between Michigan and NY? Probably.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:23 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:
I def notice a difference but I'm lucky enough to be in a section that has class start at 10:40 twice a week and 9:05 the other three days so its not too bad. Another section has 8 a.m. class 4 times a week though.

Can you request to be in the later section? My entire profession and academic career has never started earlier than 9am. That's probably longer than most professors' tenure, so I doubt that I can all of a sudden get up and be on-time at 8. (yes I was late EVERYDAY in middle school and high school).

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:24 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Holy crap. I just got in via admitted students website. I am definitely lightheaded. Haha, I didn't realize I would be so excited.

I had just checked the AS site yesterday, and did not succeed; knowing that they can tell when you check, I almost didn't check again today... so glad I did.

Stats are 3.69, 171 (retake from a 163), WE in public interest (and PS about the same). Submitted 10/26, Complete 11/8.

Edited for excitement fail

Congrats! As an almost numbers twin and a fellow retaker (as we discussed), hopefully this bodes well for me :) Michigan's definitely up there in my top choices.

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:

Can you request to be in the later section? My entire profession and academic career has never started earlier than 9am. That's probably longer than most professors' tenure, so I doubt that I can all of a sudden get up and be on-time at 8. (yes I was late EVERYDAY in middle school and high school).

I have no idea, I know people have requested sections for child care purposes but that's about as far as my knowledge about section requesting goes.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:36 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:I have no idea, I know people have requested sections for child care purposes but that's about as far as my knowledge about section requesting goes.

Were they granted? I never thought about section assignments before.

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:41 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:I have no idea, I know people have requested sections for child care purposes but that's about as far as my knowledge about section requesting goes.

I know of one that was, generally if there is a good reason I'm sure Dean Z will be accommodating but she won't accommodate individual's sleep schedules since she tries her best to make diverse sections of people that she feels will mesh well together.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:41 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:Holy crap. I just got in via admitted students website. I am definitely lightheaded. Haha, I didn't realize I would be so excited.

I had just checked the AS site yesterday, and did not succeed; knowing that they can tell when you check, I almost didn't check again today... so glad I did.

Stats are 3.69, 171 (retake from a 163), WE in public interest (and PS about the same). Submitted 10/26, Complete 11/8.

Congrats! As an almost numbers twin and a fellow retaker (as we discussed), hopefully this bodes well for me :) Michigan's definitely up there in my top choices.

I'm sure it does! When did you apply? Have you tried logging in?
r6_philly wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:

Dude, ditto. Though I have a feeling that this sort of request might get us placed in the early section just for asking. After all, as lawyers I doubt our schedules are going to be so cushy. (Unless you've got something in mind...)

Postby 4102011 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:44 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Risk of 8 AM classes -> even greater reason to go LC.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:50 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:

Well I actually didn't send it in until the 8th (It was stupid but I saved all the supplemental essays - Penn, UVA, Duke, Mich) for last, and I got their confirmation on the 12th. Unfortunately I don't even have a status checker yet, but I'll sit tight. I'd say Mich is in my top 3, but I'm concentrating ALL my prayers on my CLS ED and would not mind in the least being REQUIRED to turn down/withdraw awesome possible acceptances. And so as for your question about logging in, since I don't have a status checker yet I don't even have a Michigan ID. Plus, I plan on being a square who refuses on principle to "sneak in" :roll:

Postby 4102011 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:53 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:

Well I actually didn't send it in until the 8th (It was stupid but I saved all the supplemental essays - Penn, UVA, Duke, Mich) for last, and I got their confirmation on the 12th. Unfortunately I don't even have a status checker yet, but I'll sit tight. I'd say Mich is in my top 3, but I'm concentrating ALL my prayers on my CLS ED and would not mind in the least being REQUIRED to turn down/withdraw awesome possible acceptances. And so as for your question about logging in, since I don't have a status checker yet I don't even have a Michigan ID. Plus, I plan on being a square who refuses on principle to "sneak in" :roll:

Spoken like someone who hasn't gotten their status checker yet :wink:

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Straight from the horse's mouth (NOT THAT YOU ARE A HORSE, DEAN Z, IN CASE YOU'RE READING THIS. YOU KNOW IT'S JUST A COLLOQUIALISM!):

Sarah Zearfoss wrote:Sometimes, too, there will be people who have important scheduling considerations that need to be accommodated, like childcare responsibilities, or a longish commute—those folks need to be in particular sections.

From the A2Z blog, about 2/3 of the way down the second page, in "Take the bus, and leave the driving to us."

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:58 pm

dulcatis wrote:
Spoken like someone who hasn't gotten their status checker yet :wink:

Haha, you definitely got that right. And I know I'm saying this now, but I definitely think it would be nicer to come home one week and just constantly see some nice acceptances in the mail, rather than being excited at the lack of an error page. Especially if I get a Vandy one. I don't even care if they filled a huge box with coal, the sight of their supposed huge FedEx packages would make my day.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:18 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Dude, ditto. Though I have a feeling that this sort of request might get us placed in the early section just for asking. After all, as lawyers I doubt our schedules are going to be so cushy. (Unless you've got something in mind...)

Just so happen I do have a tiny one to care for in the am. My wife takes our daughter to school while I stay with the little one. I leave for work when she gets back.

I am going to be a consultant :lol:

I can make 9am. 8 is too much.

scorky

Postby scorky » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:21 pm

3.52, 167... and accepted! Seriously. (Application went complete 10/11, and I got the package in the mail today.) Must be that whole holistic review process thing. Hopefully this gives some warm fuzzies to others with lower numbers though! Good luck everyone :D

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:22 pm

scorky wrote:3.52, 167... and accepted! Seriously. (Application went complete 10/11, and I got the package in the mail today.) Must be that whole holistic review process thing. Hopefully this gives some warm fuzzies to others with lower numbers though! Good luck everyone :D

Very awesome. Good job.

wildcathighfive

Postby wildcathighfive » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:23 pm

scorky wrote:3.52, 167... and accepted! Seriously. (Application went complete 10/11, and I got the package in the mail today.) Must be that whole holistic review process thing. Hopefully this gives some warm fuzzies to others with lower numbers though! Good luck everyone :D

congrats!! well done.

yanksbgood

Postby yanksbgood » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Congrats! Youre an inspiration. Best of luck!!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”