Michigan 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
modmx

Bronze

Re: Michigan 2011

Post by modmx » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:16 pm

file last updated 1/11 but no email regarding hold or anything

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Also got the e-mail. 170/3.49 (transcript recently updated), no "Why Michigan."

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:50 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Received email as well. Below 25th gpa / above 75th LSAT. Has anyone who was deferred from ED received a final decision?
Really interested in the answer to this.

Lou9

Bronze

Post by Lou9 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:28 pm

moneko wrote:
Lou9 wrote:It looks like a similar email went out around this time last year. Some of those who received it managed to get in, so I'm holding out hope.
did any of them get money?
This I do not know, as I'm too lazy to look that far into it at the moment.

santoinettea

Bronze

Post by santoinettea » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:48 pm

Got the cryptic email today. Thinking about maybe sending them out an updated transcript when I get back to school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:54 pm

moneko wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
almightypush wrote:got the hold email as well... will return serve with a withdrawal email later today.
Touché. I may have to follow your lead.
is there any advantage to withdrawing? other than i'm sad if they're really putting us on hold cause of YP :( YP makes me the saddest panda...
i'm only withdrawing because i honestly wouldn't take Mich over the schools i've already been admitted to thus far. not sure if there's any advantage to be had other than putting a stop to the wastage of time.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:11 pm

So just to clarify a few things:

If I sent in a new transcript to LSAC, does that mean Michigan (and other schools) automatically have seen my new (higher) GPA?

People who got this hold e-mail...do we know if any of them got scholarships? Probably not if they weren't auto-admits, right?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:33 pm

pereira6 wrote:So just to clarify a few things:

If I sent in a new transcript to LSAC, does that mean Michigan (and other schools) automatically have seen my new (higher) GPA?

People who got this hold e-mail...do we know if any of them got scholarships? Probably not if they weren't auto-admits, right?
IF they are still reviewing then yes, if you've already been reviewed and decided on, then probably no.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:22 pm

r6_philly wrote:

IF they are still reviewing then yes, if you've already been reviewed and decided on, then probably no.
That's the answer to which question, philly? :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:26 pm

pereira6 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

That's the answer to which question, philly? :)
Sorry question 1.

for #2 I think if you get in you will get merit money if your numbers warrant it. I got in super late last year and got the appropriate offer.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:29 pm

Thanks philly!

I have a hard time leaving it up to someone else to do something important that I could take care of, so just sending LSAC my transcripts and having them say "we got it" scares me a little haha.

Did you apply late last year, or did they just take forever in reviewing your application?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:32 pm

pereira6 wrote:Thanks philly!

I have a hard time leaving it up to someone else to do something important that I could take care of, so just sending LSAC my transcripts and having them say "we got it" scares me a little haha.

Did you apply late last year, or did they just take forever in reviewing your application?
Well if you log into LSAC account, you can go view the report status and see that they actually generated report updates for each school you have not been rejected from, and when that report is pulled by the school. So that's confirmation that schools received the update.

As for last cycle, I took the snow delayed (3 weeks) LSAT in Feb and didn't go complete until mid March. Got in the day before ASW so couldn't go. Personal/family situation prevented me from moving from the state, so I went to Penn for grad school and reapplied.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:37 pm

Man, you're good. Thanks for the 100th time philly!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:50 pm

pereira6 wrote:Man, you're good. Thanks for the 100th time philly!
Glad to help, makes me feel useful :mrgreen:

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:29 am

bananaboat29 wrote:Are people really reading this as a 'hold' email? That's not what I got out of it at all...

My interpretation is that they reviewed our files and we were neither auto-admits nor auto-rejects so they're going to keep reviewing. And they're sorry it's taking so long and they don't want us to read into that. Perhaps I'm missing something?
I know a few people have responded to this point, but I apparently missed it. I'm also confused by all the "hold" talk, since the tone of the email seems to scream "Please don't think this is a hold!"

The only line I can see that makes my guess sound fishy is: We have not yet, however, been able to render a decision, and are continuing to review your application file in the context of the greater applicant pool. But in the context of the rest of the email, it almost seems to me as if they just got hit with a backlog of files and just want to acknowledge that they haven't forgotten about us.

However, the line: But it certainly is not necessary to add anything and you should not interpret this email as a solicitation for more material. is a lot more blunt than anything I've heard from other applicants' holds on this forum, and especially the one waitlist I've received so far.

So is it a de facto hold? Sure, because many of us haven't gotten our decisions, but personally, I don't see it as a traditional/intentional one.

Edit: Feel free to disagree with me. I'm, of course, completely speculating...

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
bananaboat29 wrote:Are people really reading this as a 'hold' email? That's not what I got out of it at all...

My interpretation is that they reviewed our files and we were neither auto-admits nor auto-rejects so they're going to keep reviewing. And they're sorry it's taking so long and they don't want us to read into that. Perhaps I'm missing something?
I know a few people have responded to this point, but I apparently missed it. I'm also confused by all the "hold" talk, since the tone of the email seems to scream "Please don't think this is a hold!"

The only line I can see that makes my guess sound fishy is: We have not yet, however, been able to render a decision, and are continuing to review your application file in the context of the greater applicant pool. But in the context of the rest of the email, it almost seems to me as if they just got hit with a backlog of files and just want to acknowledge that they haven't forgotten about us.

However, the line: But it certainly is not necessary to add anything and you should not interpret this email as a solicitation for more material. is a lot more blunt than anything I've heard from other applicants' holds on this forum, and especially the one waitlist I've received so far.

So is it a de facto hold? Sure, because many of us haven't gotten our decisions, but personally, I don't see it as a traditional/intentional one.

Edit: Feel free to disagree with me. I'm, of course, completely speculating...
This is how I interpreted it, but who knows. I was just really confused by it. I've had my status checker for about 4 weeks now, so I didn't really think it was odd to not have a decision yet.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:04 am

Hold or not, the point is you should not be expecting to get in for a little while - which makes it serve the same purpose as Harvard's hold. So regardless of how it reads, you are in for the same treatment as Harvard's hold - which is why others and I have called it a "hold" email.

ETA: it turns your "any minute now" expectation into a "not for a few weeks at least" expectation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:06 am

r6_philly wrote:Hold or not, the point is you should not be expecting to get in for a little while - which makes it serve the same purpose as Harvard's hold. So regardless of how it reads, you are in for the same treatment as Harvard's hold - which is why others and I have called it a "hold" email.

ETA: it turns your "any minute now" expectation into a "not for a few weeks at least" expectation.
I'm not 100% I agree with this. Mostly because of this:
Dean Z wrote:Indeed, because we make decision on a rolling basis, it is possible that we will send a decision to you before we receive and review any new submissions.
I realize that doesn't mean we will hear something soon, but I think it leaves the possibility that we could. But yeah, it definitely is hold-ish.

amkid100

Bronze

Post by amkid100 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:07 am

r6, you didn't get the email either though, right?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:13 am

birdlaw117 wrote: I realize that doesn't mean we will hear something soon, but I think it leaves the possibility that we could. But yeah, it definitely is hold-ish.
If that is the rule other than the exception, then there is no need to send the email in the first place because they are going to continue to be rolling. I take this email to signal a pause for the people who received the email. Now if everyone who is remaining UR receives the same email then I would be more convinced as a "update" email. If it is selective then you have to read it differently.

For the record, I have not received the email.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:17 am

r6_philly wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote: I realize that doesn't mean we will hear something soon, but I think it leaves the possibility that we could. But yeah, it definitely is hold-ish.
If that is the rule other than the exception, then there is no need to send the email in the first place because they are going to continue to be rolling. I take this email to signal a pause for the people who received the email. Now if everyone who is remaining UR receives the same email then I would be more convinced as a "update" email. If it is selective then you have to read it differently.

For the record, I have not received the email.
Agreed. But it seemed just about everyone up to a certain point (you're complete a little later I believe, right?) got the email. If someone can confirm they were complete in say November, and didn't receive the email, then I think you're right.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:22 am

I submitted 11/18 and got the checker email 12/15. I was able to log in before then and see complete though because I had a UM ID already.

Anyway good luck to all of you! I don't know what to expect for myself. Maybe an email is on the way to me as well.

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:30 am

Maybe they didn't send it to those who were presumably going to be rejected soon? Not implying you, R6. Just a thought.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:33 am

TheOcho wrote:Maybe they didn't send it to those who were presumably going to be rejected soon? Not implying you, R6. Just a thought.
Haha it's ok, I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

But if that is true then this is a "deferral/hold" email then. It's funny we are arguing about the semantics of something that didn't really make any difference.

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:37 am

r6_philly wrote:
TheOcho wrote:Maybe they didn't send it to those who were presumably going to be rejected soon? Not implying you, R6. Just a thought.
Haha it's ok, I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

But if that is true then this is a "deferral/hold" email then. It's funny we are arguing about the semantics of something that didn't really make any difference.
The waiting process can make people do strange things haha.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”