Michigan 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cornhusker

New

Re: Michigan 2011

Post by cornhusker » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:01 pm

Just that IF accepted ED'er and UM can agree to cancel the contract, then no harm, no foul. But good faith effort to rescind other applications should be acknowledged....

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:09 pm

cornhusker wrote:Just that IF accepted ED'er and UM can agree to cancel the contract, then no harm, no foul. But good faith effort to rescind other applications should be acknowledged....
Ok. I like your second post, and this would obviously be the best case scenario for the OP. But all this is moot until the OP contacts UM and finds out what his/her options are. The rescinding is the tricky part, though, b/c if I remember correctly, OP was hoping to be able to consider other schools. So it's not that they don't want to go, it's that they would like to go somewhere else (maybe). I think.

EDITED to add following - this was where this whole thing started 4 pages ago:
Just as an FYI. . . for those who may have read that setting aside an ED is doable―that certainly was not my experience. I figured since I was a reach, they would happily offer my seat to someone more worthy. Instead, I received a lecture about the obligations of an ED. I felt like I was under interrogation to disclose the name of the Florida law school I was prepared to opt out to. Since I chose not to say, the conversation went in circles. I finally said I would purchase a pair of woolen mittens and a heavy coat and I would be there in the fall. They said, I would not need them in the fall― yeah, right.

I know I’ll propably like it, but. . . .
[FMaze was the poster]

So clearly, UM does NOTTTT make this easy or really possible to do, at least for current cycle.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:18 pm

EDITED to add following - this was where this whole thing started 4 pages ago:
Just as an FYI. . . for those who may have read that setting aside an ED is doable―that certainly was not my experience. I figured since I was a reach, they would happily offer my seat to someone more worthy. Instead, I received a lecture about the obligations of an ED. I felt like I was under interrogation to disclose the name of the Florida law school I was prepared to opt out to. Since I chose not to say, the conversation went in circles. I finally said I would purchase a pair of woolen mittens and a heavy coat and I would be there in the fall. They said, I would not need them in the fall― yeah, right.

I know I’ll propably like it, but. . . .
[FMaze was the poster]

So clearly, UM does NOTTTT make this easy or really possible to do, at least for current cycle.[/quote]

What do you think she meant by this?

OOOHHH the mittens....right? weird.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:20 pm

I assume they meant it's not cold enough in AA to need winter clothes in fall already.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:23 pm

mr_toad wrote:I assume they meant it's not cold enough in AA to need winter clothes in fall already.
Oh how funny, hardy har. I'm sure that made FMaze feel a lot better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:24 pm

Particularly as said person was considering law school in Florida. That said, come job-hunting time they'll probably be glad UM didn't roll over and let them go to school in Florida.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:01 pm

is there an In at Michigan thread? also, this is probably an extremely dumb question but is there any benefit to attending one preview day over the other?

ejeric

New

Post by ejeric » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:01 am

Received admit packet 1/21 :D Online status was not updated to "decision" until 1/24, though.
Very excited -- it's a great school. Does scholly info come by snail mail too?

sanguar

Silver

Post by sanguar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:03 am

Still no checker. Submitted 12/17. Anyone with me?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:04 am

sanguar wrote:Still no checker. Submitted 12/17. Anyone with me?
Nada here, submitted 12/22.

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:06 am

I got my checker five (FIVE!) weeks after submitting, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

squirrelgirl

New

Post by squirrelgirl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:09 am

sanguar wrote:Still no checker. Submitted 12/17. Anyone with me?
Same here. Submitted 12/17. No checker.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:09 am

LinzerTorte wrote:I got my checker five (FIVE!) weeks after submitting, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
+1, plus you guys got 2 lost weeks of holidays sandwiched in there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:10 am

r6_philly wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:I got my checker five (FIVE!) weeks after submitting, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
+1, plus you guys got 2 lost weeks of holidays sandwiched in there.
Yeah that's what I've been thinking, not too worried!

swl56

Bronze

Post by swl56 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:35 am

i got my status checker last thursday 1/20, and have updated friday, and today. is it normal to update every day?

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:36 am

swl56 wrote:i got my status checker last thursday 1/20, and have updated friday, and today. is it normal to update every day?
it does this.

swl56

Bronze

Post by swl56 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:37 am

Gotti wrote:
swl56 wrote:i got my status checker last thursday 1/20, and have updated friday, and today. is it normal to update every day?
it does this.
ah okay! i wonder how useful the status checker is then... haha

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:38 am

swl56 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
it does this.
Well you'll know right away if your ACTUAL status changes...better than other status checkers I guess...?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:40 am

Gotti wrote:
swl56 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
it does this.
Well you'll know right away if your ACTUAL status changes...better than other status checkers I guess...?
No, you don't. If a decision is rendered the status won't update for a few days. Lots of people get their package in the mail before their status checker changes.

Admitted students site is pretty much the only useful thing that Michigan has.

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:44 am

Admitted students site is pretty much the only useful thing that Michigan has.[/quote]

+1 haha

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:21 pm

mr_toad wrote:
So clearly, UM does NOTTTT make this easy or really possible to do, at least for current cycle.

This doesn't sound like Michigan's admissions office at all. While some may act like this, ours doesn't. Any current student or someone who has dealt with the admissions office previously would smell a red-haring right away.

Keep an eye out for a forthcoming blog post from Dean Z specifically about this. I was conversing with her about something else and she sent me a copy which I won't disclose before she publishes it.

In short, don't believe everything you read on this board.

Seriously, if you guys have concerns e-mail or call them. Hell, PM a current student if you are too scared to out yourself.

Edit: And if Dean Z didn't know who I was before, my outing is officially complete. See guys, it's not so scary...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:32 pm

blowhard wrote:
mr_toad wrote:

This doesn't sound like Michigan's admissions office at all. While some may act like this, ours doesn't. Any current student or someone who has dealt with the admissions office previously would smell a red-haring right away.

Keep an eye out for a forthcoming blog post from Dean Z specifically about this. I was conversing with her about something else and she sent me a copy which I won't disclose before she publishes it.

Seriously, if you guys have concerns e-mail or call them. Hell, PM a current student if you are too scared to out yourself.

Edit: And if Dean Z didn't know who I was before, my outing is officially complete. See guys, it's not so scary...
Coming from a current student, any idea how to interpret the hold e-mail that was sent to a large number of us earlier? Many had good numbers and wrote additional essays to show a genuine interest in Michigan. Is that a sign of doom or is there still hope?

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:35 pm

bdubs wrote:
blowhard wrote:
mr_toad wrote:

Coming from a current student, any idea how to interpret the hold e-mail that was sent to a large number of us earlier? Many had good numbers and wrote additional essays to show a genuine interest in Michigan. Is that a sign of doom or is there still hope?
Also curious to hear the answer to this question.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:43 pm

bdubs wrote:
Link to the text of one?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Unlike a lot of schools, you cannot go strictly by numbers. I know of people who had number that suggested full-ride last year that got rejected and people with numbers that suggested auto-reject that were let in.

Certainly a lot is numbers, but they truly do search through all of the materials and evaluate each person which takes time. Dean Z is very frank and doesn't like to keep people hanging. If she isn't sure of your application yet, I'd see her sending out such an e-mail versus just leaving applications hanging like most schools would. (As an illustration, last year myself and several others received e-mails on Christmas eve saying we were in because she didn't want us to see a decision on the status tracker and worry over the holidays.)

Edit: And I PROMISE I am not secretly a member of the staff or something...lol. I realize that I sound like it in my posts today...

Edit 2: We were also seriously over-enrolled last year and virtually no one on the waitlist got in. I'd expect them to be more conservative this year and hold acceptances until higher ranked people accepted/declined after seeing financial aid numbers.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:45 pm

blowhard wrote:Link to the text of one?
Dean Z e-mail wrote: Thank you for your application to the University of Michigan Law School. Because you went to great lengths to apply early in our season, we understand that you may feel some disappointment at not having received your answer yet. We understand the anxiety that the law school admissions procedure can cause, and are therefore writing to update you on the status of your file in an effort to alleviate at least some of that stress.

Your file has been reviewed at least once by our staff and the admissions committee and we have found much to admire. We have not yet, however, been able to render a decision, and are continuing to review your application file in the context of the greater applicant pool. There are a variety of reasons why we may not have been able to reach a speedy decision: sometimes we are waiting for additional information that we know is en route, like recommendation letters, updated transcripts, a new LSAT score, residency information; sometimes file-readers have different interpretations of or reactions to an application, and we need to meet and discuss; and so on. We take our responsibility of composing a top-notch class extremely seriously, and that is to your benefit; you can be assured your application materials are receiving a thorough review.

We are unfortunately unable to give personalized feedback on individual applications. We would, however, be happy to add items to your file for our readers' benefit, if you have new information you would like us to consider. (If the new information you’d like us to see is a transcript, please be sure to route it through LSAC, rather than sending it directly to our office.) But it certainly is not necessary to add anything and you should not interpret this email as a solicitation for more material. Indeed, because we make decision on a rolling basis, it is possible that we will send a decision to you before we receive and review any new submissions.

Our goal is to have all decisions made by the end of April, but most applicants will hear well before that time. Please be assured that receiving this email does not mean you will not get an answer until then! It simply indicates that we recognize you have been waiting patiently, and we appreciate that.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at law.jd.admissions@umich.edu or 734.764.0537. I sincerely appreciate your interest in the University of Michigan Law School.
I was considering just sending in an LOCI indicating that I am still very interested and reiterating the points I made in my "Why Michigan" essay. Thoughts?
Last edited by bdubs on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”