Michigan 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
baby diego

New

Re: Michigan 2011

Post by baby diego » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:42 pm

BearHugs wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Alright, so, apparently the dean's scholarship offers aren't actually being sent in the mail until January and everything saying they've been sent this week is a glitch.
Where did you hear this?
bump

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:08 pm

baby diego wrote:
BearHugs wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Alright, so, apparently the dean's scholarship offers aren't actually being sent in the mail until January and everything saying they've been sent this week is a glitch.
Where did you hear this?
bump
Soph and I called them and asked if we could access our financial awards before getting back to school in a month. They told me to email them and that they'll just respond with a scanned PDF of the letter, but they apparently told Soph that it was a glitch.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:11 pm

Tanicius wrote:
baby diego wrote:
BearHugs wrote:
Where did you hear this?
bump
Soph and I called them and asked if we could access our financial awards before getting back to school in a month. They told me to email them and that they'll just respond with a scanned PDF of the letter, but they apparently told Soph that it was a glitch.
Does this mean that even though your Mail & Money refers to a dean's scholarship, you might not actually get one? Or just that the dates of the letters being sent are inaccurate?

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:13 pm

Does this mean that even though your Mail & Money refers to a dean's scholarship, you might not actually get one? Or just that the dates of the letters being sent are inaccurate?
Inaccurate dates.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:53 pm

JeNeRegretteRien wrote:
jrh1987 wrote:I feel like I'm almost definitely a WL at this point. Applied 10/25, still just "complete" as of 12/17. GPA between 25th and median, LSAT way above 75th. Wrote a Why Mich. Anyone knows what gives, or is it possible I'll still be accepted if it's been this long?
Have been wondering this too (about my app). But I just sorted LSN Acceptances at UofM by decision date, and there are a fair number of recent decisions for files with complete dates in October and early November. So there is hope.

Maybe they were swamped trying to get ED files processed and ED decisions out by 12/15, and the pace of RD decisions slowed (especially on those files that went complete near the October LSAT score release)?

[edited for clarity]

i'm in the same boat as you jrh (well, kinda, except my GPA is way above 75th and my LSAT is 25th (took it once...won't ever put myself through that hell again.) and i applied early in the cycle. I also have really good softs and I refuse to give up hope at this point, as it is still early and it seems like acceptances and WL/denials are just trickling in these days instead of coming in a huge wash. i've also read other places that as soon as auto admits and auto dings are done (they happen in the beginning obv) the amount of waiting time is a little less relevant because everyone goes into committee review and is looked at comparatively. i hope this helps. good luck to you and hopefully we will both be satisfied with wherever we ultimately decide to attend :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:14 pm

Tanicius wrote:

Inaccurate dates.
One thing to point out for all of you. Michigan is very formulaic in their scholarships. So, you are likely to get what people around you are getting. That was pretty true last year with only a few exceptions that I know of.

So when people start reporting...

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:34 pm

sent 11/21 and stiiiiiill waiting for the status checker =( c'mon mich, let me obsess over yours too.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Nevermind, wrong dates. Sorry.

sojuteacher

Bronze

Post by sojuteacher » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:37 am

sarahlawg wrote:sent 11/21 and stiiiiiill waiting for the status checker =( c'mon mich, let me obsess over yours too.
I sent my app in 11/17 and got the status checker 12/16 -- and my status is at 12/17. already obsessing ..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dorriedoodle

New

Post by dorriedoodle » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:54 am

Tanicius wrote:

Inaccurate dates.
So if that shows up on your mail & money does that definitely mean you are getting something??? that would be FANTASTICALLY AMAZING AMAZING

prt86a

New

Post by prt86a » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:01 am

I sent my application in in early-mid November, and I didn't get a status checker until last week. Is that normal or could it be a bad sign? Also, it seems like people already know about merit scholarships and Darrows. Do those come along with your decision, or after?

Raramuri415

New

Post by Raramuri415 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:21 pm

prt86a wrote:I sent my application in in early-mid November, and I didn't get a status checker until last week. Is that normal or could it be a bad sign? Also, it seems like people already know about merit scholarships and Darrows. Do those come along with your decision, or after?
My UMich status checker's date has been updating every day for about the past 2-3 weeks? Is this normal? Usually it only updates as they have made a decision on your app.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:32 pm

Raramuri415 wrote:
prt86a wrote:I sent my application in in early-mid November, and I didn't get a status checker until last week. Is that normal or could it be a bad sign? Also, it seems like people already know about merit scholarships and Darrows. Do those come along with your decision, or after?
My UMich status checker's date has been updating every day for about the past 2-3 weeks? Is this normal? Usually it only updates as they have made a decision on your app.
it updates almost every day for everyone

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:45 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Raramuri415 wrote:
it updates almost every day for everyone
+1. You are probably viewing a cached version of it. Try reloading with the F5 key once or twice.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:59 pm

dorriedoodle wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Inaccurate dates.
So if that shows up on your mail & money does that definitely mean you are getting something??? that would be FANTASTICALLY AMAZING AMAZING
Yes! Congrats :D you're getting money
I have a hunch that it's the highest deans' amount, since (According to some graphing [ill find the link and insert it in a bit] people with my #s have frequently gotten Darrow invites or the highest dean's amount.

Does anyone know if you can negotiate for more money than the highest dean's amount? Like if UVA gives me full scholy, could I come to Mich and say, so you're giving me 70,000, can I please have some more, like 90,000? (obviously I wouldn't ask them like that)
but anyways has anyone heard of someone getting money in between Darrow and top Dean's?
I would try to change their mind and ask for a Darrow invite, but I don't think they do that. If they gave me a Darrow, I'd withdraw all my applications now.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:07 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
Does anyone know if you can negotiate for more money than the highest dean's amount? Like if UVA gives me full scholy, could I come to Mich and say, so you're giving me 70,000, can I please have some more, like 90,000? (obviously I wouldn't ask them like that)
but anyways has anyone heard of someone getting money in between Darrow and top Dean's?
I would try to change their mind and ask for a Darrow invite, but I don't think they do that. If they gave me a Darrow, I'd withdraw all my applications now.
One of the admissions people told me they are flexible for peer schools probably even if you are maxed out. It would have to be a close peer though. She told me that if I got more $ at Duke for instance they probably wouldn't up the amount but at Penn or UVA they might.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:35 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:
One of the admissions people told me they are flexible for peer schools probably even if you are maxed out. It would have to be a close peer though. She told me that if I got more $ at Duke for instance they probably wouldn't up the amount but at Penn or UVA they might.
Thanks AreJay. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dbrddr

Bronze

Post by dbrddr » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:13 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Does anyone know if you can negotiate for more money than the highest dean's amount? Like if UVA gives me full scholy, could I come to Mich and say, so you're giving me 70,000, can I please have some more, like 90,000?
I was looking on LSN last night, and I only saw one number between Dean's and Darrow for the 09-10 cycle--M matched a Berkeley offer of $90,000.
s0ph1e2007 wrote:I would try to change their mind and ask for a Darrow invite, but I don't think they do that.
If I don't get an invite, I'll probably let you know after I get an initial $$ offer :p (no, seriously. Y+H acceptances at least = to a full ride at one of M's peer schools? Might as well ask, right?)

applepiecrust

Bronze

Post by applepiecrust » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:54 am

I FINALLY got my package in the mail (no thanks to Georgetown... argh!) and I am in love!

So excited!
Dean Z's note (and I know there's one on everyone's acceptance letter, but still) was such a wonderful touch, though what was even more thrilling was this little underline under the very of "I am very pleased to offer you...". Ah, love this school. So glad I EDed.

Hello, stress-free remainder of senior year of college!

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:55 am

applepiecrust wrote:I FINALLY got my package in the mail (no thanks to Georgetown... argh!) and I am in love!

So excited!
Dean Z's note (and I know there's one on everyone's acceptance letter, but still) was such a wonderful touch, though what was even more thrilling was this little underline under the very of "I am very pleased to offer you...". Ah, love this school. So glad I EDed.

Congrats! That's great news! :)

applepiecrust

Bronze

Post by applepiecrust » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:57 am

NZA wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:I FINALLY got my package in the mail (no thanks to Georgetown... argh!) and I am in love!

So excited!

I mean, I've known I was in since 12/8, but the package just made it real. But, thanks :)
P.S. Also got Cornell acceptance package at the same time. Note to Cornell: winning prospective students over, you're doing it wrong.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:03 am

applepiecrust wrote:
NZA wrote:

So excited!

I mean, I've known I was in since 12/8, but the package just made it real. But, thanks :)
P.S. Also got Cornell acceptance package at the same time. Note to Cornell: winning prospective students over, you're doing it wrong.
Wait...how did you know?

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:06 am

dbrddr wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:Does anyone know if you can negotiate for more money than the highest dean's amount? Like if UVA gives me full scholy, could I come to Mich and say, so you're giving me 70,000, can I please have some more, like 90,000?
I was looking on LSN last night, and I only saw one number between Dean's and Darrow for the 09-10 cycle--M matched a Berkeley offer of $90,000.
s0ph1e2007 wrote:I would try to change their mind and ask for a Darrow invite, but I don't think they do that.
If I don't get an invite, I'll probably let you know after I get an initial $$ offer :p (no, seriously. Y+H acceptances at least = to a full ride at one of M's peer schools? Might as well ask, right?)
you're joking right? go to yale....
or are you planning on going to yale and just want to take a darrow away from someone who actually wants it lol

applepiecrust

Bronze

Post by applepiecrust » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:07 am

NZA wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:
NZA wrote:

So excited!

Wait...how did you know?
1. Admitted students site; 2. Status check changed to decision (ED); 3. Panicked email to Michigan about decision because I was afraid the letter/package wouldn't get here before I left school for winter break (which they responded to with a very sweet phone call).

dbrddr

Bronze

Post by dbrddr » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:34 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:you're joking right? go to yale....
or are you planning on going to yale and just want to take a darrow away from someone who actually wants it lol
SO is applying to grad schools. SO will probably get into Michigan but may not get into Yale. Not living apart from SO for 3+ years is more important to me than going to Y/H if I can't do both. My situation's unusual in that in spite of those two acceptances, I'd probably never get a full ride in the T-14 based on numbers alone. If I do end up "having" to attend a school like Michigan or Duke, a full ride or something close to it would be awfully nice. I guess I have no clue whether using a Yale acceptance to negotiate merit aid in the 4-12 range actually works because so few Yale admits even consider schools outside HYS after hearing the good news.

Sorry to keep cluttering up the thread with info about my personal circumstances!

Congrats to all the new admits!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”