Michigan 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Re: Michigan 2011

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:37 pm

But if it's a rejection and not a glitch, thank you SO MUCH Michigan for being less than diligent about your rejection letters. Really appreciate you guys dragging the process out.

alexisj27

New

Post by alexisj27 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:21 pm

I think I saw somewhere a while ago that there is a facebook group for the Fall 2011 class? How can I find this?

Thanks!

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:40 am

alexisj27 wrote:I think I saw somewhere a while ago that there is a facebook group for the Fall 2011 class? How can I find this?

Thanks!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 57587&ap=1

kingrichardx

New

Post by kingrichardx » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:36 am

I'm going to jump in here and defend the ED process. I was a Umich undergrad with a 169 and 3.52 GPA. Nothing spectacular at all. My resume wasn't out of this world. My letters were good and I thought I wrote a good PS.

No chance I would've gotten in without EDing. FWIW Dean Z wrote a personal note saying how compelling my personal statement was. Clearly there is a holistic process involved and that EDing isn't a terrible idea.

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:44 pm

Question: if Michigan is offering me $ticker, would I not get any sort of snail-mail letter? I got an email saying I qualify for the max in stafford loans, but I haven't received any information about merit aid. I'm just wondering because it looks like there are URM with similar/worse numbers that got significant merit aid and as far as I can tell, I got zippo! Under "money and mailings" on the ASW, it says they haven't mailed any financial aid information.

ETA: I was accepted into michigan on 3/4

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:01 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:Question: if Michigan is offering me $ticker, would I not get any sort of snail-mail letter? I got an email saying I qualify for the max in stafford loans, but I haven't received any information about merit aid. I'm just wondering because it looks like there are URM with similar/worse numbers that got significant merit aid and as far as I can tell, I got zippo! Under "money and mailings" on the ASW, it says they haven't mailed any financial aid information.

I'd email them and ask. Michigan is very formulaic but I know of one or two people last year whose numbers suggest they should have received more than they did.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:03 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:Question: if Michigan is offering me $ticker, would I not get any sort of snail-mail letter? I got an email saying I qualify for the max in stafford loans, but I haven't received any information about merit aid. I'm just wondering because it looks like there are URM with similar/worse numbers that got significant merit aid and as far as I can tell, I got zippo! Under "money and mailings" on the ASW, it says they haven't mailed any financial aid information.

My scholarship showed up under "Mail & Money" ~2 weeks after I was accepted via ASW access.

twelda

New

Post by twelda » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:09 pm

I think your award would appear on the financial aid letter that also shows your loan eligibility (if that's where you are seeing the Stafford Loan information) because they use it to calculate your need.

MyManKanye

New

Post by MyManKanye » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:09 am

Mmmm, I went to WL last week as well. I really want to attend Michigan, and sent a LOCI back at the end of Feb. I would be willing to defer if I got it, but I can't really afford to sit out and retry next year. Anyone have any idea of how many people are on the WL or what the chances of being admitted are? I'm not encouraged by the large number of WL of people with similar numbers to mine here.

Anyways, good luck to all still in the hunt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:52 pm

When is the deposit due and how much is it?

bafanahoy

New

Post by bafanahoy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:39 am

aaaaand... this is getting ridiculous. anyone still left in the waiting game? when were your submission/ complete dates?

^^ the deposit is due at the end of april, but i don't know the specifics. try asking in the michigan 2014 thread.

squirrelgirl

New

Post by squirrelgirl » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:28 am

bafanahoy wrote:aaaaand... this is getting ridiculous. anyone still left in the waiting game? when were your submission/ complete dates?

^^ the deposit is due at the end of april, but i don't know the specifics. try asking in the michigan 2014 thread.
Still waiting here. Submitted mid-December, received status checker 1/27. Michigan was my top choice going into this, but after all this waiting, I'm not so sure.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:15 am

Submitted mid-October, no word. Yeah. I know.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Siamsa414

Bronze

Post by Siamsa414 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:38 pm

I haven't been waiting nearly so long as some others here, but given that time seems to be running out, am I reasonable in concluding my acceptance is much less likely than waitlisting at best? Were there acceptances so late in the cycle last year?

leopardRAWR

Bronze

Post by leopardRAWR » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:48 pm

Also still waiting from mid-October. I think I'm going to give it another week or two and then withdraw.

gotcha

New

Post by gotcha » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:46 am

Siamsa414 wrote:I haven't been waiting nearly so long as some others here, but given that time seems to be running out, am I reasonable in concluding my acceptance is much less likely than waitlisting at best? Were there acceptances so late in the cycle last year?
This is what I assume...

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:19 am

Ugh. I am just about done waiting. It is April! Take it or leave it Michigan!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:29 am

Wow, I feel pretty bad for you guys who are still waiting from the fall. I'm already ready for my cycle to be over, and I'm a Dec LSAT taker who applied in January. Heard back from 14/16 of my schools already (including Mich). Best of luck to you all! I hope all the waiting pays off.

cornhusker

New

Post by cornhusker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:14 am

It certainly seems applying ED to Michigan is a bad move unless you're an auto-admit. In that case, you don't need the (perceived) advantage of binding yourself to a contract.

For this particular app. cycle, my understanding is MOST (as in almost ALL) ED applicants were rolled to RD. I figure most ED applicants applied by the end of September, and were NOT notified they were to be rolled to RD until Dec 14th.
While adhering to the "contract" of receiving an answer by Dec 15, the Michigan office of admissions "strung along" these applicants for 2 to 2 and 1/2 months.
THEN, the pool of ED applicants, now classified as RD rec'd the generic but warmly written "sorry for the long wait" email at the end of January. Michigan Law admissions do many things right. Full disclosure to the ED applicants would allow transparency, and Dean Z claims that she is in favor of more transparency in the application process.
So my question is: Just how many seats out of the possible #90 were actually available[quote="TheStrand"]to the ED applicants? Just wondering how the admissions office justified how long it took them to make decisions (for the ED pool of applicants this cycle) when most other top law schools took no longer than a month to give some kind of answer?? :roll: :lol: :mrgreen: ?
I'll be applying for next year, maybe the year after. At least now I know no school is perfect.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:08 am

cornhusker wrote:It certainly seems applying ED to Michigan is a bad move unless you're an auto-admit. In that case, you don't need the (perceived) advantage of binding yourself to a contract.

For this particular app. cycle, my understanding is MOST (as in almost ALL) ED applicants were rolled to RD. I figure most ED applicants applied by the end of September, and were NOT notified they were to be rolled to RD until Dec 14th.
While adhering to the "contract" of receiving an answer by Dec 15, the Michigan office of admissions "strung along" these applicants for 2 to 2 and 1/2 months.
THEN, the pool of ED applicants, now classified as RD rec'd the generic but warmly written "sorry for the long wait" email at the end of January. Michigan Law admissions do many things right. Full disclosure to the ED applicants would allow transparency, and Dean Z claims that she is in favor of more transparency in the application process.
So my question is: Just how many seats out of the possible #90 were actually available
TheStrand wrote:to the ED applicants? Just wondering how the admissions office justified how long it took them to make decisions (for the ED pool of applicants this cycle) when most other top law schools took no longer than a month to give some kind of answer?? :roll: :lol: :mrgreen: ?
I'll be applying for next year, maybe the year after. At least now I know no school is perfect.

ya think?

45 seats go to EDers every cycle and no more

how did you fuck up the quotes so bad?

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:23 am

Where is my decision?

Seriously, how hard is it to read 2 numbers? =)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cornhusker

New

Post by cornhusker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:31 pm

Response to 'paulinaporis',,,
my apologies for messed up quotes format (esp to The Strand!) just stream of thoughts, i;m currently out of the country in a place where generators are often needed so I used internet cafe with non-american keyboard
yikes! I must have missed the notice that postings would be judged by format fiascoes, i care more about relevant discussions and thought the current subject of timing within this "acceptances, waitlists and denials" was as good a forum as any
On a kinder note it sure seems quite a few people have been waiting a LOnG time: whitman, askemcdonald, leopardRAWR, gotcha, etc.,etc, etc, I hope that means good news/ not bad for you guys!
Best wishes for everyone who has not been rejected already! Sorry, paulinaporiz,,, Cornell does look great for you, Congrats

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:22 pm

cornhusker wrote:It certainly seems applying ED to Michigan is a bad move unless you're an auto-admit. In that case, you don't need the (perceived) advantage of binding yourself to a contract.

So my question is: Just how many seats out of the possible #90 were actually available
TheStrand wrote:to the ED applicants? Just wondering how the admissions office justified how long it took them to make decisions (for the ED pool of applicants this cycle) when most other top law schools took no longer than a month to give some kind of answer??

Not sure how you think ED is for auto admits or that it hurts you. IMO ED should be for people who really really want to go to a school, and would go there regardless of the other choices they might have. Therefore, binding yourself to go to that particular school should essentially have no effect except that you have a chance at getting your decision earlier and, in my experience, get an admissions boost (debatable I suppose). The three things that could happen to you under ED: you are accepted and you hear by 12/15, you are rejected (it hasn't seemed to be the case that people have a more difficult time getting in ED vs RD, so if you are rejected ED then you probably would be rejected RD anyway), or you're rolled over to RD and you receive your decision the same time everyone else gets theirs probably. If you are rolled over to RD you are not really in worse off position. It's not like if you hadn't done ED you would have gottten your decision at the end of September or something. And I'm not sure you can really say it takes other top schools no more than a month to give answers. Northwestern states they do not begin reviewing their apps till December (Feb if you're AJD), Cornell is just..awful ugh, Columbia does around January etc. I think it's also presumptuous to say that most ED applicants submit by end of Sept. Many EDers are Oct LSAT people, and the deadline isn't until like Nov 15th or something for ED apps, and given the small amount of ED panic over submitting last minute, I'm pretty confident that I am not the only one who submitted way after the end of September. Also, just because you do ED doesn't mean you cn't apply to other schools at all. During that two months while you're being "strung along" you can still submit to other schools until you get an acceptance.

Also, during that period from the end of September till Dec 15,they aren't stringing you along...they don't start reviewing that early. Very few top law schools review that early (except Duke I think).

http://www.top-law-schools.com/decision-dates.html

ohnowhattodo

New

Post by ohnowhattodo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:52 am

So I noticed today that my "Last Updated" date is April 4th. As far as I know, the site usually updates everyday, even if there is no movement... so I guess my question is, does this mean I'm rejected?

Status is still complete. But as of 4/4. :(

mia468

New

Post by mia468 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:58 am

ohnowhattodo wrote:So I noticed today that my "Last Updated" date is April 4th. As far as I know, the site usually updates everyday, even if there is no movement... so I guess my question is, does this mean I'm rejected?

Status is still complete. But as of 4/4. :(
Not sure, but I'm stuck at 4/4 as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”