Michigan 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
neonx

Silver

Re: Michigan 2011

Post by neonx » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:21 pm

I submitted 11/15 and haven't received a status checker. Is this normal?

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:24 pm

neonx wrote:I submitted 11/15 and haven't received a status checker. Is this normal?
There are at least two other people not including myself that submitted in the middle of November, and none of us have got one, yet. So I'm thinking it's normal.

I didn't even get the "We have your app!" email until this Monday. :( Stressssssful.

shanshan333

Bronze

Post by shanshan333 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:25 pm

CSCS Trainer wrote:Finishing up my 2 optional essays and app going in tonight.
What are the essay topics... I don't recall. To the other poster, I submitted 11/14 and haven't received a status checker. Unfortunately, it is normal.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:27 pm

shanshan333 wrote:
What are the essay topics... I don't recall. To the other poster, I submitted 11/14 and haven't received a status checker. Unfortunately, it is normal.
I guess that's five people, then, that submitted mid-Nov.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:34 pm

NZA wrote:
shanshan333 wrote:
11/15 no checker here. It's normal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Teflon1974

New

Post by Teflon1974 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:21 pm

shanshan333 wrote:
Essay One
Say more about your interest in the University of Michigan Law School. What do you believe Michigan has to offer to you and you to Michigan?
Essay Two
Describe your current hopes for your career after completing law school. How will your education, experience, and development so far support those plans?
Essay Three
If you do not think that your academic record or standardized test scores accurately reflect your ability to succeed in law school, please tell us why.
Essay Four
Describe a failure or setback in your life. How did you overcome it? What, if anything, would you do differently if confronted with this situation again?
Essay Five
Describe an experience that speaks to the problems and possibilities of diversity in an educational or work setting.
Essay Six
What do you think are the skills and values of a good lawyer? Which do you already possess? Which do you hope to develop?
Essay Seven
How might your perspectives and experiences enrich the quality and breadth of the intellectual life of our community or enhance the legal profession?
Essay Eight
Describe your educational experiences so far. What kinds of learning environments, teaching methods, student cultures, and/or evaluation processes have you found lead you to thrive, or contrariwise, thwart your success?

shanshan333

Bronze

Post by shanshan333 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Teflon1974 wrote:
shanshan333 wrote:
Essay One
Say more about your interest in the University of Michigan Law School. What do you believe Michigan has to offer to you and you to Michigan?
Essay Two
Describe your current hopes for your career after completing law school. How will your education, experience, and development so far support those plans?
Essay Three
If you do not think that your academic record or standardized test scores accurately reflect your ability to succeed in law school, please tell us why.
Essay Four
Describe a failure or setback in your life. How did you overcome it? What, if anything, would you do differently if confronted with this situation again?
Essay Five
Describe an experience that speaks to the problems and possibilities of diversity in an educational or work setting.
Essay Six
What do you think are the skills and values of a good lawyer? Which do you already possess? Which do you hope to develop?
Essay Seven
How might your perspectives and experiences enrich the quality and breadth of the intellectual life of our community or enhance the legal profession?
Essay Eight
Describe your educational experiences so far. What kinds of learning environments, teaching methods, student cultures, and/or evaluation processes have you found lead you to thrive, or contrariwise, thwart your success?
Aww thanks teflon. you are my permanent buddy.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:26 pm

1,2,6,7,8 can all serve as "Why Michigan". This is like a trick question.

shanshan333

Bronze

Post by shanshan333 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:1,2,6,7,8 can all serve as "Why Michigan". This is like a trick question.
Yeah, see I wrote a "Why Michigan"... that's why I asked... I got scared.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:46 pm

Seven is essentially a DS.

CSCS Trainer

New

Post by CSCS Trainer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:13 pm

I wrote #3 & 7

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:32 pm

Looking at Michigan's LSN graph for this year (http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats) there appears to be an interesting pattern. There seems to be many admitted students left of the 174 mark, but to the right of the 174 mark the number of accepted is significantly fewer. Moreover those people to the right of 174 who have been admitted have Harvard level numbers (indeed 5 of the 6 have been accepted to Harvard already). This makes me curious as to what Michigan is planning to do with the 174+ but below Harvard level students- yield protect cutoff maybe? The Harvard level students are of course worth the hit to yield since Michigan can lure a couple away from HYS with Darrows, so they would get admitted. Maybe I'm over thinking this, maybe there's just one adcomm that processes 175+ and they've only put through the auto-admits so far. Still, the current pattern is interesting and makes me a bit concerned (I only did one of Michigan's laundry list of optional essays). Has anyone on the board been admitted with a 175 or higher that didn't stand a good chance at Harvard? s0ph1e you don't count, your JR2 will come around before the cycle's through.

lolok

New

Post by lolok » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:29 pm

In today via large packet sent to my house. I remember trying the admitted students website just a few days ago and being denied, but the postmark on the packet indicates it was mailed before I was trying to get into the site...so I kinda think they wait to change the admitted students site access until after they've mailed the packet, since the dean has said she wants people to find out via the packet and not the site. So for the people who have been trying to get in and failing, maybe your packet is already in the mail?

Also, does anyone know:

1) When financial aid information will be coming?

or

2) If there will be a stipend available to visit for ASW?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Post by bistduverrueckt » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:35 pm

NZA wrote:
shanshan333 wrote:
Yeah I submitted around 11/13 and still no status checker.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:40 pm

Submitted 11/08, still no status checker either...

bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Post by bistduverrueckt » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:41 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:Submitted 11/08, still no status checker either...
Oh hi cycle twin.

moneko

Bronze

Post by moneko » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:48 pm

:( they received mine 11/17, no status checker here either...
bistduverrueckt wrote:
NZA wrote:
shanshan333 wrote:
Yeah I submitted around 11/13 and still no status checker.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

coolymx

New

Post by coolymx » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:49 pm

u know life without a status checker aint so bad...saves people from anxiety attacks, as exemplified by those who logged on "multiple times a day, over 100 times a month" :P

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:54 pm

lolok wrote:In today via large packet sent to my house. I remember trying the admitted students website just a few days ago and being denied, but the postmark on the packet indicates it was mailed before I was trying to get into the site...so I kinda think they wait to change the admitted students site access until after they've mailed the packet, since the dean has said she wants people to find out via the packet and not the site. So for the people who have been trying to get in and failing, maybe your packet is already in the mail?

Also, does anyone know:

1) When financial aid information will be coming?

or

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your completion date? Numbers? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:24 pm

I also got the packet today. Summer start. Letter dated 12/2. I'm about 8 hours from Ann Arbor (out of state) - surprised it got here so quickly.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:10 pm

coolymx wrote:u know life without a status checker aint so bad...saves people from anxiety attacks, as exemplified by those who logged on "multiple times a day, over 100 times a month" :P
Lol, true. But it's making me paranoid I forgot some part of my app out or some such.

And plus, I just substitute checking my email constantly for checking a status checker constantly. :P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

amkid100

Bronze

Post by amkid100 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:24 am

NZA wrote:
shanshan333 wrote:
Make it 6, no checker.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:05 am

submitted 11/21 - no checker..the email said 3-4 weeks, though.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:15 pm

lolok wrote: 1) When financial aid information will be coming?
Last year I was accepted Dec 24 and found out like the end of Feb or March about financial aid.
lolok wrote:
I think there may have been a small one available last year but I didn't get one. So, it either wasn't worth my time or too cumbersome to apply for.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:20 pm

St.Remy wrote:Looking at Michigan's LSN graph for this year (http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats) there appears to be an interesting pattern. There seems to be many admitted students left of the 174 mark, but to the right of the 174 mark the number of accepted is significantly fewer. Moreover those people to the right of 174 who have been admitted have Harvard level numbers (indeed 5 of the 6 have been accepted to Harvard already). This makes me curious as to what Michigan is planning to do with the 174+ but below Harvard level students- yield protect cutoff maybe? The Harvard level students are of course worth the hit to yield since Michigan can lure a couple away from HYS with Darrows, so they would get admitted. Maybe I'm over thinking this, maybe there's just one adcomm that processes 175+ and they've only put through the auto-admits so far. Still, the current pattern is interesting and makes me a bit concerned (I only did one of Michigan's laundry list of optional essays). Has anyone on the board been admitted with a 175 or higher that didn't stand a good chance at Harvard? s0ph1e you don't count, your JR2 will come around before the cycle's through.
You're probably over thinking this. Michigan doesn't really yield protect all that much. We were actually over-enrolled this year because the yield was too high. Also, from experience LSN isn't entirely accurate. It's self-reported data and a large number of applicants have never heard of it. From talking to people it seems like those with really high LSATs last year did way less research than those with lower scores and didn't post their data.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”