Michigan 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jpk5372

Bronze

Re: Michigan 2011

Post by jpk5372 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Entchen wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:It seems there was good news heading out. Congratulations!!
Congrats!!! Do you remember around when you were accepted?

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:36 pm

Entchen wrote:Just got email to apply for Darrow :D

I was hoping to get some money, but definitely thought my GPA would put me out of the running for that. Obviously they invite lots of people to apply, so I'm not counting on anything, but still exciting to be considered.
It seems that Michigan uses some sort of weighted formula to determine which applicants are offered scholarships - a high LSAT score can counterbalance a lower GPA. In your case, you have an extremely impressive LSAT and a solid GPA, so no surprise about the Darrow invitation. In years past, if you were invited to apply for a Darrow, you stood a good chance of receiving either the half- or full-scholarship award as long as you took the essay seriously. Best of luck!

Congratulations to everyone who was admitted to Michigan so far in this cycle. I'd strongly encourage you all to attend - it's a fantastic school!

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:41 pm

jpk5372 wrote:
Entchen wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:It seems there was good news heading out. Congratulations!!
Congrats!!! Do you remember around when you were accepted?
Thanks! Accepted December 16.

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Entchen wrote:Just got email to apply for Darrow :D I was hoping to get some money, but definitely thought my GPA would put me out of the running for that. Obviously they invite lots of people to apply, so I'm not counting on anything, but still exciting to be considered.
f-n-a. That's exciting! Have you pretty much settled on Michigan then? Are you going to one of the ASWs?

leopardRAWR

Bronze

Post by leopardRAWR » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:53 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:its no secret that the status checker updates EVERYDAY with (complete)....but has anyone else been at complete as long as 10/26? I figured by now it would of switched to decision made.
I'm not apart of it, but there's an entire club :D :
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=140941
Don't know if any of them still haven't heard back yet.
I think most of us have accepted that although we all love Michigan, Michigan for whatever reason doesn't seem to love us back. We all seem to be fairly competitive candidates for admission, but our numbers for the most part don't put us into YP territory. You should probably start bracing yourself for the impending waitlist and developing your plan to get off it (LOCI, additional LORS, updating grades, etc.) if Michigan is one of your top choices. Good luck!

Ps congrats to all the recent admits and scholarship recipients!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:59 pm

leopardRAWR wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:
FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:its no secret that the status checker updates EVERYDAY with (complete)....but has anyone else been at complete as long as 10/26? I figured by now it would of switched to decision made.
I'm not apart of it, but there's an entire club :D :
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=140941
Don't know if any of them still haven't heard back yet.
I think most of us have accepted that although we all love Michigan, Michigan for whatever reason doesn't seem to love us back. We all seem to be fairly competitive candidates for admission, but our numbers for the most part don't put us into YP territory. You should probably start bracing yourself for the impending waitlist and developing your plan to get off it (LOCI, additional LORS, updating grades, etc.) if Michigan is one of your top choices. Good luck!

Ps congrats to all the recent admits and scholarship recipients!
I still check every day. 11/01 submit and 11/24 complete.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Darrow invite here too. It was surprising b/c I was admitted quite a while ago and missed the first round of invites. Moral of the story: if you were accepted in time for the first round and you didnt get the first round invites, dont lose hope.

dbrddr

Bronze

Post by dbrddr » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:14 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Moral of the story: if you were accepted in time for the first round and you didnt get the first round invites, dont lose hope.
...unless you've already received a scholarship offer :p

Congrats, Entchen and tk!

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:17 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
Entchen wrote:Just got email to apply for Darrow :D I was hoping to get some money, but definitely thought my GPA would put me out of the running for that. Obviously they invite lots of people to apply, so I'm not counting on anything, but still exciting to be considered.
f-n-a. That's exciting! Have you pretty much settled on Michigan then? Are you going to one of the ASWs?
Yup, pretty much already decided, the $$ would just be a bonus.

I'll be at the first ASW. Can't wait!

Congrats tk!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amkid100

Bronze

Post by amkid100 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:16 pm

anyone able to get into admitted students semi-recently (who has not yet received a package in the mail)?

prt86a

New

Post by prt86a » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:33 pm

I applied in early November and still no word from Michigan. Anyone else in the same situation?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:35 pm

prt86a wrote:I applied in early November and still no word from Michigan. Anyone else in the same situation?
11/1 and no dice. Some people with similar numbers and similar dates to me are in already, so it doesn't look great.

I wrote a Why Mich too.

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:37 pm

prt86a wrote:I applied in early November and still no word from Michigan. Anyone else in the same situation?
I applied mid october and havent heard a peep. Michigan hasnt released decisions in a while. Hopefully theyll release a large batch soon.

prt86a

New

Post by prt86a » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:39 pm

bdubs wrote:
11/1 and no dice. Some people with similar numbers and similar dates to me are in already, so it doesn't look great.

I wrote a Why Mich too.
I don't think this necessarily means anything, for what it's worth.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:44 pm

September 3rd. I gave up a long time ago and pretty much have narrowed it down to two other places. Sorry if this doesn't help at all. I have heard that people who applied in early November have received acceptances recently if that helps. I was bitter for a while considering I got a fee waiver with a personalized note from Dean Z, which caused me to refrain from applying ED anywhere else because I thought I'd get into Michigan (couldn't ED there because my job goes until June.) Yeah.....kinda ruined my Christmas to be honest.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:53 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
September 3rd. I gave up a long time ago and pretty much have narrowed it down to two other places. Sorry if this doesn't help at all. I have heard that people who applied in early November have received acceptances recently if that helps. I was bitter for a while considering I got a fee waiver with a personalized note from Dean Z, which caused me to refrain from applying ED anywhere else because I thought I'd get into Michigan (couldn't ED there because my job goes until June.) Yeah.....kinda ruined my Christmas to be honest.
You did get an OOS UVA acceptance, so that is worth quite a bit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:55 pm

bdubs wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Yes, and that's the only reason I'm posting on this thread instead of being too resentful to even look at it (you win some you lose some I guess)

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:08 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
bdubs wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Yes, and that's the only reason I'm posting on this thread instead of being too resentful to even look at it (you win some you lose some I guess)
I applied 11/18 to all my law schools, and have only heard from Santa Clara (fee waiver). God damn it. :'(

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:33 pm

NZA,

Get back to me in March if you still haven't heard and we'll commiserate - you've got a long way to go, grasshopper.

Paulina

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:07 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:NZA,

Get back to me in March if you still haven't heard and we'll commiserate - you've got a long way to go, grasshopper.

Paulina
Lol, will do. But at least you've heard from a school that you would actually attend! :) That's good, right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:14 pm

Entchen wrote:Just got email to apply for Darrow :D

I was hoping to get some money, but definitely thought my GPA would put me out of the running for that. Obviously they invite lots of people to apply, so I'm not counting on anything, but still exciting to be considered.
Congrats! I was in the first round of invites and submitted my essay last week...the fact that they're sending out their next round of invites gives me hope their first round decisions will be soon :o

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:41 pm

Anyone else still rocking an 11/5ish status checker?

supahstahxruv

Bronze

Post by supahstahxruv » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:46 pm

whitman wrote:Anyone else still rocking an 11/5ish status checker?
yup. 11/11 status checker received

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:20 am

Also 11/11. Wrote two supplementals including Why Michigan (but not convinced that mine was convincing enough). That said, numbers are fair to middlin', barely below/barely above. Would understand anything from rejection to waitlist. Best of luck to all!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”