LSU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
prea5356

Re: LSU 2011

Postby prea5356 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:45 pm

rehtulx wrote:Accepted today! Baton Rouge here I come.

Yay! hope to see you at admitted students day!

Deathcab

Postby Deathcab » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:20 pm

will be there monday for admitted students visiting day -- looking forward to seeing what all baton rouge has to offer!

also, does anyone have any information on how difficult it is to get in-state reclassification??

i have a Louisiana birth certificate but my family moved out of state a few years after my birth -- think that would help my case any?

Paralegalonthemove

Postby Paralegalonthemove » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:26 pm

Deathcab wrote:will be there monday for admitted students visiting day -- looking forward to seeing what all baton rouge has to offer!

also, does anyone have any information on how difficult it is to get in-state reclassification??

i have a Louisiana birth certificate but my family moved out of state a few years after my birth -- think that would help my case any?

I don't think so. They seem to be sticklers on their residency requirements.

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Paralegalonthemove wrote:
Deathcab wrote:will be there monday for admitted students visiting day -- looking forward to seeing what all baton rouge has to offer!

They were very adamant in letting us know during an online chat you have to be able to prove you will stay in state after you graduate. Aka if they give you discount education you have to pay state taxes to recoup this. How you prove that I'm not sure lol but it will require some effort for sure.

A12345

Postby A12345 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:11 pm

Gamecock227 wrote:

They were very adamant in letting us know during an online chat you have to be able to prove you will stay in state after you graduate. Aka if they give you discount education you have to pay state taxes to recoup this. How you prove that I'm not sure lol but it will require some effort for sure.

Fwiw an accepted student asked a current student on the panel about the ease of gaining in state and he said it was pretty much impossible unless you worked full time while going to law school. That definitely ruffled some of the admissions people's feathers as they quickly changed the subject.

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:55 pm

The in state thing that student was a bit off I will not he working full time but my parents live in new Orleans. They have for 3 years so once I get my drivers license and am physically present for 12 months in LA I will be cleared.

The law school can determine eligibility in house as well but the undergraduate office will oversee everything from my understanding.

The basic notion however I would agree with most people is if you go to LSU from any state other than Louisiana expect to pay OOS for the entire 3 years. There will be people squeaking by to get in state but the majority won't.

Deathcab

Postby Deathcab » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:27 pm

anyone in town tonight?

BLin98

Postby BLin98 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:50 am

RE: In state residency.

It's only a 5 page read and it appears very subjective.

--LinkRemoved--

Excerpts:

The individual’s physical presence within this state for one year must be associated with substantial evidence that such presence was with the intent to maintain a Louisiana domicile. Physical presence within the state solely for educational purposes without substantial evidence of the intent to remain in Louisiana will not be sufficient for resident classification regardless of the length of time within the state.

&

In order to establish financial independence, a student seeking reclassification should meet the following criteria for the current and immediately preceding calendar year: (1) that the student has not been claimed as an exemption for state or federal income tax purposes by his/her non-resident parents; (2) that the student has not lived in the home of his/her non-resident parents for more than six weeks after the time at which a Louisiana domicile is claimed; and (3) that the student’s primary source of financial support not be derived from Federal programs and/or campus employment (such as graduate assistant scholarships and scholarships that provide a waiver of non-resident fees).

rehtulx

Postby rehtulx » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:21 am

How long before you guys got your letter after being accepted? It has been about a week now for me.

blacknmildntx

Postby blacknmildntx » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:17 pm

rehtulx wrote:How long before you guys got your letter after being accepted? It has been about a week now for me.

It took about a a week for me to receive the admission letter and about another week to get the scholly info!

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:41 pm

blacknmildntx wrote:
rehtulx wrote:How long before you guys got your letter after being accepted? It has been about a week now for me.

It took about a a week for me to receive the admission letter and about another week to get the scholly info!

Same here week for letter. 2 weeks for scholly.

rehtulx

Postby rehtulx » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:39 am

Ugh, bad to hear...I hope they speed it up this late in the cycle.

bendtheslurry

Postby bendtheslurry » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:28 pm

I just finished touring lsu law and it has officially moved from my #3 choice to my #1! If I don't make it in to Florida I'll be in baton rouge this fall!

prea5356

Postby prea5356 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:45 pm

bendtheslurry wrote:I just finished touring lsu law and it has officially moved from my #3 choice to my #1! If I don't make it in to Florida I'll be in baton rouge this fall!

Yay!!!

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:40 am

I just went in review, my numbers are not anything special so I'm expecting a ding because it's so late in the cycle.

Wish me luck guys!

VTOrange19

Postby VTOrange19 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:57 pm

Status date changed, but I still got nothing from the Bayou Bengals. For others who have already heard, how long after the updated status date changed did you hear anything?

I went from a 3/15ish UR to a 4/12 UR, but nothing else has changed. God this sucks.

rehtulx

Postby rehtulx » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:42 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:I just went in review, my numbers are not anything special so I'm expecting a ding because it's so late in the cycle.

Wish me luck guys!

LSAT isn't far below median, and GPA is high...I wouldn't give up. I applied late with great numbers, and just heard back too.

rehtulx

Postby rehtulx » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:47 pm

Are there any other veterans or current National Guard going to LSU Law this year?

Deathcab

Postby Deathcab » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:36 pm

FWIW, emails went out today informing those who did not place their deposit that they were being removed from the class -- should help some people who are still pending.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:14 pm

rehtulx wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:I just went in review, my numbers are not anything special so I'm expecting a ding because it's so late in the cycle.

Wish me luck guys!

LSAT isn't far below median, and GPA is high...I wouldn't give up. I applied late with great numbers, and just heard back toullo.

Thanks buddy. I have hope that I'm gonna get in
Wtf is up with the Hawaii ding? I got one too

Paralegalonthemove

Postby Paralegalonthemove » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:02 am

Deathcab wrote:FWIW, emails went out today informing those who did not place their deposit that they were being removed from the class -- should help some people who are still pending.

Thanks for letting us know! I have scheduled a visit to the campus for May 6. I cannot wait and hope that I am admitted from the wait list!

rehtulx

Postby rehtulx » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:48 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:
rehtulx wrote:

Wish me luck guys!

LSAT isn't far below median, and GPA is high...I wouldn't give up. I applied late with great numbers, and just heard back toullo.

Thanks buddy. I have hope that I'm gonna get in
Wtf is up with the Hawaii ding? I got one too

Hawaii is apparently pretty famous for dinging people who they think want to just go there because it's Hawaii, and won't stay. I guess this is fair, since I planned on taking off immediately after graduating to go JAG.

prea5356

Postby prea5356 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:18 pm

Deathcab wrote:FWIW, emails went out today informing those who did not place their deposit that they were being removed from the class -- should help some people who are still pending.

Thanks for letting us know! I have scheduled a visit to the campus for May 6. I cannot wait and hope that I am admitted from the wait list!

Cool do u have a meeting with someone of the admissions committee as well?

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:12 pm

Hey guys, How long before you are hearing back from LSU after your files goes in review? thanks

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:25 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:Hey guys, How long before you are hearing back from LSU after your files goes in review? thanks

It only took me a week but at this point in the cycle there's alot of different curve balls including final deposits due in about 10 days as well as waitlisted applicants. Don't be surprised if it takes til Mid-May from here so LSU knows how many seats are left.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”