LSU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Gamecock227
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby Gamecock227 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:47 am

A12345 wrote:What did the students you talked to have to say regarding section stacking?

rmjones03 wrote:I definitely enjoyed my time at LSU this weekend. I was in tour group 6, and once again among the OOS crowd. Still have to do ASW at FSU and Tulane, but I liked LSU, and feel everyone was very open and accommodating, as well as honest about the job prospects. I know I meet one person from this forum, but everyone else still remains a mystery lol.

I will say that the apparent openness between faculty and students was a very attractive feature of LSU. I still question whether or not they stick most of the OOS scholly folks in one section... The faculty said this was not the case, but some 1L's felt that it, I'm sorry, the determination of sections ;) was not random.



I'm confused, isn't the stipulation based on class as a whole not section rank. how would this affect the schollys as a whole?

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby IHaveLawyers » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:34 am

Hey,

How do I check my status in PAWS? I have no idea on how that thing works... I just see bunch of news.

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: LSU 2011

Postby cartercl » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:36 am

Gamecock227 wrote:
A12345 wrote:What did the students you talked to have to say regarding section stacking?

rmjones03 wrote:I definitely enjoyed my time at LSU this weekend. I was in tour group 6, and once again among the OOS crowd. Still have to do ASW at FSU and Tulane, but I liked LSU, and feel everyone was very open and accommodating, as well as honest about the job prospects. I know I meet one person from this forum, but everyone else still remains a mystery lol.

I will say that the apparent openness between faculty and students was a very attractive feature of LSU. I still question whether or not they stick most of the OOS scholly folks in one section... The faculty said this was not the case, but some 1L's felt that it, I'm sorry, the determination of sections ;) was not random.



I'm confused, isn't the stipulation based on class as a whole not section rank. how would this affect the schollys as a whole?


If they're all in the same section then they all take the same classes, and thus they are all graded on the same curve. No way 100% of them can keep a scholarship this way against the other sections as well. I'm guessing this is what the complaint is. Someone feel free to correct me.

Hey,

How do I check my status in PAWS? I have no idea on how that thing works... I just see bunch of news.


You can't. You need to have a status checker. If you were never emailed the information for your status checker you will need to call admissions to get it.

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby IHaveLawyers » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:49 am

cartercl wrote:
Gamecock227 wrote:
A12345 wrote:What did the students you talked to have to say regarding section stacking?

rmjones03 wrote:I definitely enjoyed my time at LSU this weekend. I was in tour group 6, and once again among the OOS crowd. Still have to do ASW at FSU and Tulane, but I liked LSU, and feel everyone was very open and accommodating, as well as honest about the job prospects. I know I meet one person from this forum, but everyone else still remains a mystery lol.

I will say that the apparent openness between faculty and students was a very attractive feature of LSU. I still question whether or not they stick most of the OOS scholly folks in one section... The faculty said this was not the case, but some 1L's felt that it, I'm sorry, the determination of sections ;) was not random.



I'm confused, isn't the stipulation based on class as a whole not section rank. how would this affect the schollys as a whole?


If they're all in the same section then they all take the same classes, and thus they are all graded on the same curve. No way 100% of them can keep a scholarship this way against the other sections as well. I'm guessing this is what the complaint is. Someone feel free to correct me.

Hey,

How do I check my status in PAWS? I have no idea on how that thing works... I just see bunch of news.


You can't. You need to have a status checker. If you were never emailed the information for your status checker you will need to call admissions to get it.


Thanks! I will do this first thing Monday.

User avatar
Gamecock227
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby Gamecock227 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:04 am

From what I heard from my tour guide is the professor gives you a letter grade, which is actually not on the curve, the grades are curved based against the entire class to hit the 3.0 curve. This is done by the apartment of records or something.

This certain is a worry though all the "competition" in 1 section competing. Assumably every school does the same thin with scholarship awardees. Not giving me any reason to knock LSU specifically

A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: LSU 2011

Postby A12345 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:21 am

Gamecock227 wrote:From what I heard from my tour guide is the professor gives you a letter grade, which is actually not on the curve, the grades are curved based against the entire class to hit the 3.0 curve. This is done by the apartment of records or something.

This certain is a worry though all the "competition" in 1 section competing. Assumably every school does the same thin with scholarship awardees. Not giving me any reason to knock LSU specifically


It is pretty unethical for schools to do that yet still claim they are random

User avatar
legalprincess
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:32 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby legalprincess » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:41 pm

BLin98 wrote:There were more out of state people there than I expected.

Free T-shirt = WIN.

Anyone else in tour group 4?

What? Ya'll got T-shirts?!?!?! Dang it, I knew I shouldn't have snuck out before tours!

BLin98
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby BLin98 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:32 pm

I had no idea that there is an actual court room in the building that gets used for real cases.

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby Kinderby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:35 am

BLin98 wrote:There were more out of state people there than I expected.

Free T-shirt = WIN.

Anyone else in tour group 4?

Me! I was in 4, The Silent One. We never had questions! Haha.

I laughed when they said 60% of the students are in-state, because I could swear, I only met one prospective student from Louisiana.

I really really liked the experience. I started getting really stressed out during one of the panels, but then I talked to two students at lunch who were so nice (everyone was SO nice!!) and they answered questions, and talked about why other schools I'm looking at are good, and why LSU can also offer what I want. They were just really genuine, and not pushy at all about oh, I should definitely pick LSU. I was there to be sold on the school, and I pretty much was. I never felt like anyone was BSing me.

rmjones03 wrote:I will say that the apparent openness between faculty and students was a very attractive feature of LSU.

Yeah, I really like that.

BLin98
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby BLin98 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:41 am

Kinderby wrote:Me! I was in 4, The Silent One. We never had questions! Haha.

I laughed when they said 60% of the students are in-state, because I could swear, I only met one prospective student from Louisiana.

I really really liked the experience. I started getting really stressed out during one of the panels, but then I talked to two students at lunch who were so nice (everyone was SO nice!!) and they answered questions, and talked about why other schools I'm looking at are good, and why LSU can also offer what I want. They were just really genuine, and not pushy at all about oh, I should definitely pick LSU. I was there to be sold on the school, and I pretty much was. I never felt like anyone was BSing me.

rmjones03 wrote:I will say that the apparent openness between faculty and students was a very attractive feature of LSU.

Yeah, I really like that.


I was the guy in the light blue button down shirt and khakis in group 4.

Not having been to any other ASD, I have nothing to compare openeness and frankness of the faculty, staff and students to. But, overall I felt that everyone with LSU wanted to give honest and frank answers to all questions and concerns. There were certainly times when the answers provided could have been spun to be more favorable to LSU.

Lack of in-state folks may just be due to most of them not needing/wanting to attend ASD to reach a decision.

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby Kinderby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:53 pm

I think I remember light blue button-down. Did you get called on in the mock class? If that was you, I think I met you at the reception! :)

BLin98
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby BLin98 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:21 pm

Kinderby wrote:I think I remember light blue button-down. Did you get called on in the mock class? If that was you, I think I met you at the reception! :)


Nope I wasn't called on for the mock class at all. I was almost introduced to that professor at the reception but he turned at the last second and went another direction. So lucky!

bayougrl26
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby bayougrl26 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Group 4 also.

I met Kinderby Friday night. It was nice to have a familiar face in the group on Saturday.

I was already sold on LSU. I knew I wanted to come home, and my husband's job is pretty limited in where he can transfer. With my scores and his job, LSU was already the right fit. I love the atmosphere too though. I thought the mock class was great (and also glad I wasn't called on).

I visited a top 30 school that had a really intense environment, and a TTTT that was too laid back. LSU was a nice mix of "work hard/play hard."

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby Kinderby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:18 pm

BLin98 wrote:Nope I wasn't called on for the mock class at all. I was almost introduced to that professor at the reception but he turned at the last second and went another direction. So lucky!

bayougrl and I both met the professor at the reception, and when he started calling on people he'd met, I just started thinking, "Don'tcallonmedon'tcallonmedon'tcallonme." It worked!! :) Although actually I don't think it would've been that bad if he had called on me, because I did the homework. And if I hadn't known the answer, he wouldn't have been scary, which is what I am expecting in real!class.

LSU's only real drawback right now for me is that I feel like I'm barely leaving home. I wanted to GTFO of Texas :D and moving next door hardly feels like that. (Also, humidity and mosquitoes. Omg, I'm going to be eaten alive.) But other than that, I really really like everything else. I'm not allowing myself to make a decision before I visit at least one other school.

User avatar
rmjones03
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:40 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby rmjones03 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:47 pm

If all OOS scholarship recipients are in one section, not all of them could possibly be above all others in other sections. Within each section there will be a bell curve when scores come out with the majority in the middle and only a few at the top. Granting the other sections have the same general curve, not all of the OOS folks will meet the stipulation... However, I am not terribly worried about that aspect.

What I do not want to happen is for my section to be filled with OOS poeple fighting there way to the top. Of course everyone says there is little cut-throat stuff going on, but in the section with all those competing for top 33, there will be more than usual. I want to have a good experience, an look forward to collaborating with those in my section, and would be upset if things went the other way.

I got them impression that sections were stacked because some of the students said the majority of the people in there section had scholarships and that 8 of the top 10 ended up being in there section. Sounds like they threw all the scholly kids in one bunch to fight it out. These students said they loved their section, but it was the most competitive of the three.

Of course there could be other explanations, but I am still left pondering the issue. I suspect most schools may do the same, so the point is moot, but I can't keep my self from thinking about it.

Still like LSU though:) I found a professor I really connect with, as well as a 1L who was extremely helpful, and fully willing to give me her notes next year:) I did not expect to find those things at ASW, but the fact that I did shows me that the LSU may end up being the place I am meant to attend?? We shall see, sorry so long BTW!!! Off to work!

User avatar
Gamecock227
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby Gamecock227 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:33 pm

How many of incoming 1Ls would one suspect to have a 33% or higher stipulation?

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: LSU 2011

Postby cartercl » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:21 pm

Deposited today.

User avatar
erw0331
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby erw0331 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:20 am

Gamecock227 wrote:How many of incoming 1Ls would one suspect to have a 33% or higher stipulation?


I think it depends on the percentage of your tuition covered by scholarship. My scholly covers half of my oos fee as opposed to many of you who have all or almost all waived, so therefore my stipulation is less stringent. That being said, I would assume that however many have at least half of their tuition covered by scholly or all of their oos covered by it have that top 33% stipulation. I know it's not an exact number, but I hope that helps...

BLin98
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby BLin98 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:50 am

Per financial aid they will not start looking at fall FAFSA's until "sometime next week." I was honestly hoping to have some concrete information on my financial aid package before seat deposits become due.

A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: LSU 2011

Postby A12345 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:12 pm

BLin98 wrote:Per financial aid they will not start looking at fall FAFSA's until "sometime next week." I was honestly hoping to have some concrete information on my financial aid package before seat deposits become due.


even worse they told me tuition figures for next year will not be out until mid july. With the rate LSU has been raising OOS tuition that could be 3,000 or 4,000 this year alone. A good question might be to ask if tuition goes up will my OOS waiver in the amount of 14,080 go up to cover the difference as well so i'm left paying only the in-state as originally intended

User avatar
rmjones03
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:40 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby rmjones03 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:15 pm

A12345 wrote:
BLin98 wrote:Per financial aid they will not start looking at fall FAFSA's until "sometime next week." I was honestly hoping to have some concrete information on my financial aid package before seat deposits become due.


even worse they told me tuition figures for next year will not be out until mid july. With the rate LSU has been raising OOS tuition that could be 3,000 or 4,000 this year alone. A good question might be to ask if tuition goes up will my OOS waiver in the amount of 14,080 go up to cover the difference as well so i'm left paying only the in-state as originally intended


+1

Paralegalonthemove
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:55 am

Re: LSU 2011

Postby Paralegalonthemove » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:49 am

aweckerly wrote:
Paralegalonthemove wrote:
BLin98 wrote:Just be happy to have a status checker. Those of us who were accepted in December had to spend our time trying to scry out acceptance status via the addition of options to PAWS.


I've found the PAWS expansion bit is not completely 100% accurate. I applied in September, set up my PAWs when I went complete in October. All I could do was look at a few things on it nothing else. In January my PAWs account expanded to show registration information and billing information (two things that were not there before). I just found out last week that I was wait listed so even the expansion is not a great way to tell anymore.



Yea, I'm still pending but my PAWS account looks fully expanded, but without Law Course Offerings. Other than that, it seems like I have everything else so I'm not counting on that to tell me anything, lol.

Did anyone else get an LSU ID? When they sent me the PAWS account info email, they also gave me an LSU ID. Just wondering, I haven't seen anyone talking about it.



Yes I also have an LSU student ID.

User avatar
Gamecock227
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby Gamecock227 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:35 pm

erw0331 wrote:
Gamecock227 wrote:How many of incoming 1Ls would one suspect to have a 33% or higher stipulation?


I think it depends on the percentage of your tuition covered by scholarship. My scholly covers half of my oos fee as opposed to many of you who have all or almost all waived, so therefore my stipulation is less stringent. That being said, I would assume that however many have at least half of their tuition covered by scholly or all of their oos covered by it have that top 33% stipulation. I know it's not an exact number, but I hope that helps...



I would say we have close to even numbers you have 1 pt higher LSAT I'm .2 higher gpa. I would love a half fee waiver, would you say you have amazing softs or are alot
Cooler than me? Lol or did you go complete way early in the cycle?

Also did anyone else get the email for April 11th visiting day. Didn't they just have a visiting day?

BLin98
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby BLin98 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Gamecock227 wrote:
Also did anyone else get the email for April 11th visiting day. Didn't they just have a visiting day?


Were you at the one this past weekend? Admissions may have gone through the accepted student list and sent out a second wave of invites for anyone that didn't come to the 1st one.

User avatar
Gamecock227
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby Gamecock227 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:14 pm

I actually wasn't, that never crossed my mind but is probly true. I did visit solo already though and I got 2 free t-shirts and a coffee mug lol




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], hip to be Square, longsh0305, SevenSeven77, splitterfromhell and 13 guests