LSU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby Barbie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:44 pm

I wonder what the scholarship will be... hmmmm :) Whats OOS tuition without one?

User avatar
erw0331
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby erw0331 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:25 pm

Barbie wrote:I wonder what the scholarship will be... hmmmm :) Whats OOS tuition without one?


It's really not that bad, comparatively speaking. $25,566 a year

A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: LSU 2011

Postby A12345 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:50 pm

erw0331 wrote:
Barbie wrote:I wonder what the scholarship will be... hmmmm :) Whats OOS tuition without one?


It's really not that bad, comparatively speaking. $25,566 a year


30k with fees and expected to jump up again this year

User avatar
RushLimbaugh
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby RushLimbaugh » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:13 am

Good or bad sign to be "in review" for just over a month? I went complete on 1/11/11, haven't heard anything since.

I guess the admissions committee wants law students to know what it's like to wait for a jury to return a verdict...

ll2014
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby ll2014 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:00 pm

llaw2011 wrote:What are the chances when applying to LSU law for 2011 entering class with a 150 lsat and 3.87 GPA - out of state


Here's the thing, they don't auto-admit anyone from out of state. So people from in state always get consideration first. Furthermore, they generally at best admit 15% out of state, which also lowers chances. The out of state lsat average is always higher than the instate, so technically a lot of students with lower qualifications than you could get in as in-state residents. I would apply as early as you can! Last year I applied in late January out of state from a top 25 undergrad school, with a 164 and a 3.2 and got wait listed and then rejected. This year I applied in state and got a decision in 4 days... so my advice is to definitely apply as early as possible.. and look into the possibility of applying in-state if you live in Louisiana currently.

ll2014
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby ll2014 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:14 pm

Gamecock227 wrote:I asked this a while back but got no response, just wondering if anyone knows if LSU has a quota it has to fill of LA residents. I'm a 2.9/160 which isnt represented much of LSN. Just a bit anxious about my chances. I've seen people with 2.75/161 get scholarships and 3.0/158 get $ too. Anyone wanna build my confidence?


Yes absolutely a quota.. they have to accept at least 70% in-state and usually it is 85/15. Which means, it is a LOT harder for people to get in from out of state than in-state. And if anyone from out of state is waiting a long time for a decision, it is normal. They look at all in-state applications at that time, before out of state.

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: LSU 2011

Postby cartercl » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:20 pm

ll2014 wrote:
Gamecock227 wrote:I asked this a while back but got no response, just wondering if anyone knows if LSU has a quota it has to fill of LA residents. I'm a 2.9/160 which isnt represented much of LSN. Just a bit anxious about my chances. I've seen people with 2.75/161 get scholarships and 3.0/158 get $ too. Anyone wanna build my confidence?


Yes absolutely a quota.. they have to accept at least 70% in-state and usually it is 85/15. Which means, it is a LOT harder for people to get in from out of state than in-state. And if anyone from out of state is waiting a long time for a decision, it is normal. They look at all in-state applications at that time, before out of state.


.
Last edited by cartercl on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gamecock227
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby Gamecock227 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:21 pm

I called the office of admissions and just asked them straight up if they hold a certain amount of spots the lady's response sounded like she was a bit uneasy in replying:

"No Sir we dont hold a certain amount of spots for in state students to be accepted, nor a percentage. We are a state school however so you have to keep that in mind"

It sounds like she said no first then said yes afterwards to me? Im confused...

ll2014
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby ll2014 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:29 pm

cartercl wrote:
ll2014 wrote:
Gamecock227 wrote:I asked this a while back but got no response, just wondering if anyone knows if LSU has a quota it has to fill of LA residents. I'm a 2.9/160 which isnt represented much of LSN. Just a bit anxious about my chances. I've seen people with 2.75/161 get scholarships and 3.0/158 get $ too. Anyone wanna build my confidence?


Yes absolutely a quota.. they have to accept at least 70% in-state and usually it is 85/15. Which means, it is a LOT harder for people to get in from out of state than in-state. And if anyone from out of state is waiting a long time for a decision, it is normal. They look at all in-state applications at that time, before out of state.


Just curious... but how do you know this (reference please)? I'm not suggesting that your information is wrong, but there is a ton of misinformation that gets thrown around on TLS. I just want to make sure that the applicants that may look at this thread next cycle, seeking information, have the right stuff.


My husband is at lsu law now, and I'm friends with some people who do research with faculty members on the admissions committee. Apparently b/c they are a public school they have to accept a certain percentage of in-state applicants.. which is generally at least 70/30.. and in the past it has panned out to be 85/15.

bayougrl26
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby bayougrl26 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:32 pm

I am OOS and one of the last on here to have received the acceptance email. I was sweating bullets all through December and January so this would have been nice to know. :)

User avatar
pokerlaw
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 am

Re: LSU 2011

Postby pokerlaw » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:36 pm

According to their website, 78% were from LA in 2010.

ll2014
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby ll2014 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Gamecock227 wrote:I called the office of admissions and just asked them straight up if they hold a certain amount of spots the lady's response sounded like she was a bit uneasy in replying:

"No Sir we dont hold a certain amount of spots for in state students to be accepted, nor a percentage. We are a state school however so you have to keep that in mind"

It sounds like she said no first then said yes afterwards to me? Im confused...


Right.. what she really means is yes.. obviously they have to accept a LOT more in state than out of state. W

It also says on their website at the bottom : http://www.law.lsu.edu/index.cfm?geaux=admissions.faqs that the breakdown of 1Ls was 70/30 in-state out of state. That isn't who was admitted.. that was who actually went..
Last edited by ll2014 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ll2014
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby ll2014 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:42 pm

bayougrl26 wrote:I am OOS and one of the last on here to have received the acceptance email. I was sweating bullets all through December and January so this would have been nice to know. :)


I know what you mean.. last year, applying out of state, I waited 3 months to hear something.. it is SO stressful! Congrats!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby Barbie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

anyone get their scholly letter today?

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: LSU 2011

Postby cartercl » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

.
Last edited by cartercl on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:27 am, edited 4 times in total.

BLin98
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby BLin98 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:58 pm

ll2014 wrote:
Gamecock227 wrote:I called the office of admissions and just asked them straight up if they hold a certain amount of spots the lady's response sounded like she was a bit uneasy in replying:

"No Sir we dont hold a certain amount of spots for in state students to be accepted, nor a percentage. We are a state school however so you have to keep that in mind"

It sounds like she said no first then said yes afterwards to me? Im confused...


Right.. what she really means is yes.. obviously they have to accept a LOT more in state than out of state. Why with a 164 and a 3.2 from a top 25 undergrad.. but applying out of state would I get wait listed when the median lsat is a 157 and GPA is a 3.3.. WHY would kids from in-state who went to schools like Mcneese with 153 lsats who applied later than me.. get in over me if they didn't have an instate quota? (I'm not trying to say that to be bitter.. I'm happy I didn't go as an out of stater.. SO much cheaper to be an in-stater!!)

It also says on their website at the bottom : http://www.law.lsu.edu/index.cfm?geaux=admissions.faqs that the breakdown of 1Ls was 70/30 in-state out of state. That isn't who was admitted.. that was who actually went..


Difficult to say w/o considering softs.

It seems easy enough to cover up an in state preference through the admissions process given the relative ranking of LSU nationally. For example, accept lots of well above median OOS apps knowing that LSU is an unlikely safety, thus having a low matriculation.

Admissions gets plausible deniability and gets to answer questions from OOS folks with a nudge and a wink. Consider this orientation for life in Louisiana.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby Barbie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:01 pm

cartercl wrote:
Gamecock227 wrote:I called the office of admissions and just asked them straight up if they hold a certain amount of spots the lady's response sounded like she was a bit uneasy in replying:

"No Sir we dont hold a certain amount of spots for in state students to be accepted, nor a percentage. We are a state school however so you have to keep that in mind"

It sounds like she said no first then said yes afterwards to me? Im confused...



I think the second part of her answer suggests that the overwhelming percentage of in-state students accepted versus OOS students is due to self-selection. Remember, LSU doesn't have any information comparing the percentage of in-state/OOS applicants. However, they do have information comparing in-state/OOS matriculants.

Right.. what she really means is yes.. obviously they have to accept a LOT more in state than out of state. Why with a 164 and a 3.2 from a top 25 undergrad.. but applying out of state would I get wait listed when the median lsat is a 157 and GPA is a 3.3.. WHY would kids from in-state who went to schools like Mcneese with 153 lsats who applied later than me.. get in over me if they didn't have an instate quota? (I'm not trying to say that to be bitter.. I'm happy I didn't go as an out of stater.. SO much cheaper to be an in-stater!!)

It also says on their website at the bottom : http://www.law.lsu.edu/index.cfm?geaux=admissions.faqs that the breakdown of 1Ls was 70/30 in-state out of state. That isn't who was admitted.. that was who actually went..


I'm sorry, but it seems as if you are trying desperately to rationalize your denial last year -- by assuming it to be a fact that LSU has a quota -- when there could have been several factors that prevented you from gaining admission. There is always the possibility for an alternative explanation (see my response above to Gamecock) to explain those statistics. What you're saying is perfectly logical, it is. However, that doesn't mean that your explanation is the one that's correct. I just think if LSU had a quota there would be something on their website about that... somewhere.


Not trying to get in the middle of this, but I'm from no where NEAR LSU and have numbers similar to the guy who got waitlisted... I'm in with a scholly letter on the way.

ll2014
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby ll2014 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:10 pm

BLin98 wrote:
ll2014 wrote:
Gamecock227 wrote:I called the office of admissions and just asked them straight up if they hold a certain amount of spots the lady's response sounded like she was a bit uneasy in replying:

"No Sir we dont hold a certain amount of spots for in state students to be accepted, nor a percentage. We are a state school however so you have to keep that in mind"

It sounds like she said no first then said yes afterwards to me? Im confused...


Right.. what she really means is yes.. obviously they have to accept a LOT more in state than out of state. Why with a 164 and a 3.2 from a top 25 undergrad.. but applying out of state would I get wait listed when the median lsat is a 157 and GPA is a 3.3.. WHY would kids from in-state who went to schools like Mcneese with 153 lsats who applied later than me.. get in over me if they didn't have an instate quota? (I'm not trying to say that to be bitter.. I'm happy I didn't go as an out of stater.. SO much cheaper to be an in-stater!!)

It also says on their website at the bottom : http://www.law.lsu.edu/index.cfm?geaux=admissions.faqs that the breakdown of 1Ls was 70/30 in-state out of state. That isn't who was admitted.. that was who actually went..


Difficult to say w/o considering softs.

It seems easy enough to cover up an in state preference through the admissions process given the relative ranking of LSU nationally. For example, accept lots of well above median OOS apps knowing that LSU is an unlikely safety, thus having a low matriculation.

Admissions gets plausible deniability and gets to answer questions from OOS folks with a nudge and a wink. Consider this orientation for life in Louisiana.



Look all I know is that from three different people who know what the admissions process looked like last year (with a new director it might have changed). I was told that no one from out of state was an automatic admit (no matter what their scores were). But they did do that with in-state applicants. Essentially they had a point formula they used plugging your lsat and gpa in.. and if you made a certain number of points or above you were an automatic admit. Then they looked at in-state maybes and then out of state people. Obviously, if you're applying in-state you have a better chance under this system. And, the point is that if you don't have at least higher than the median numbers and are applying out of state.. you probably will have a harder time getting in.. unless you're applying early.. and even then as evidenced by bayougrl26's comments about how long she had to wait to get a decision they're taking longer to respond to out of state residents. If you're in-state and have around the median it seems as though you will probably not have a problem getting in.

ll2014
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby ll2014 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:15 pm

ll2014 wrote:
BLin98 wrote:
ll2014 wrote:
Gamecock227 wrote:I called the office of admissions and just asked them straight up if they hold a certain amount of spots the lady's response sounded like she was a bit uneasy in replying:

"No Sir we dont hold a certain amount of spots for in state students to be accepted, nor a percentage. We are a state school however so you have to keep that in mind"

It sounds like she said no first then said yes afterwards to me? Im confused...


Right.. what she really means is yes.. obviously they have to accept a LOT more in state than out of state. Why with a 164 and a 3.2 from a top 25 undergrad.. but applying out of state would I get wait listed when the median lsat is a 157 and GPA is a 3.3.. WHY would kids from in-state who went to schools like Mcneese with 153 lsats who applied later than me.. get in over me if they didn't have an instate quota? (I'm not trying to say that to be bitter.. I'm happy I didn't go as an out of stater.. SO much cheaper to be an in-stater!!)

It also says on their website at the bottom : http://www.law.lsu.edu/index.cfm?geaux=admissions.faqs that the breakdown of 1Ls was 70/30 in-state out of state. That isn't who was admitted.. that was who actually went..


Difficult to say w/o considering softs.

It seems easy enough to cover up an in state preference through the admissions process given the relative ranking of LSU nationally. For example, accept lots of well above median OOS apps knowing that LSU is an unlikely safety, thus having a low matriculation.

Admissions gets plausible deniability and gets to answer questions from OOS folks with a nudge and a wink. Consider this orientation for life in Louisiana.



Look all I know is that from three different people who know what the admissions process looked like last year (with a new director it might have changed). I was told that no one from out of state was an automatic admit (no matter what their scores were). But they did do that with in-state applicants. Essentially they had a point formula they used plugging your lsat and gpa in.. and if you made a certain number of points or above you were an automatic admit. Then they looked at in-state maybes and then out of state people. Obviously, if you're applying in-state you have a better chance under this system. And, the point is that if you don't have at least higher than the median numbers and are applying out of state.. you probably will have a harder time getting in.. unless you're applying early.. and even then as evidenced by bayougrl26's comments about how long she had to wait to get a decision they're taking longer to respond to out of state residents. If you're in-state and have around the median it seems as though you will probably not have a problem getting in.



BLin: I LOVE your quote you are so right about life in louisiana :)!!!

BLin98
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby BLin98 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:19 pm

ll2014 wrote:If you're in-state and have around the median it seems as though you will probably not have a problem getting in.


I haven't really done any out of state app research at other schools, but I would assume that the statement above would/should be true for just about any public university law school and not something unique to LSU.

ll2014
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby ll2014 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:26 pm

BLin98 wrote:
ll2014 wrote:If you're in-state and have around the median it seems as though you will probably not have a problem getting in.


I haven't really done any out of state app research at other schools, but I would assume that the statement above would/should be true for just about any public university law school and not something unique to LSU.


Absolutely, unless you're applying to top 10 schools that happen to be public like Michigan or UT.. that general rule might be slightly different..

And to Gamecock, my point was that if you're applying in-state (which you said you are) and you have those numbers (which are similar to the median numbers), (unless their numbers have jumped much higher in just a year) all things point to a scenario in which you will be heavily considered. Sorry you've had to wait so long! I know it's stressful!

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: LSU 2011

Postby cartercl » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:26 pm

.
Last edited by cartercl on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ll2014
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby ll2014 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:31 pm

cartercl wrote:
ll2014 wrote:
Look all I know is that from three different people who know what the admissions process looked like last year (with a new director it might have changed). I was told that no one from out of state was an automatic admit (no matter what their scores were). But they did do that with in-state applicants. Essentially they had a point formula they used plugging your lsat and gpa in.. and if you made a certain number of points or above you were an automatic admit. Then they looked at in-state maybes and then out of state people. Obviously, if you're applying in-state you have a better chance under this system. And, the point is that if you don't have at least higher than the median numbers and are applying out of state.. you probably will have a harder time getting in.. unless you're applying early.. and even then as evidenced by bayougrl26's comments about how long she had to wait to get a decision they're taking longer to respond to out of state residents. If you're in-state and have around the median it seems as though you will probably not have a problem getting in.


You have some serious reasoning problems in this post. Anyway... if you don't have any evidence to support these claims you are making, I propose we get back to the purpose of this thread which is keeping other applicants and admitted students updated on acceptances/denials and scholarship awards.


What evidence do you want? A leaked instruction manual from the admissions committee? A lot of state schools employ a similar system, b/c it is fast and effective. The bottom line is that all things being equal except for residency status, an in-state applicant will have a better chance. I apologize for getting off topic, since there were previous posts about quotas on the board, I figured it was about more than just scholarship and decision notifications.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:30 am

ll2014 wrote:
cartercl wrote:
ll2014 wrote:
Look all I know is that from three different people who know what the admissions process looked like last year (with a new director it might have changed). I was told that no one from out of state was an automatic admit (no matter what their scores were). But they did do that with in-state applicants. Essentially they had a point formula they used plugging your lsat and gpa in.. and if you made a certain number of points or above you were an automatic admit. Then they looked at in-state maybes and then out of state people. Obviously, if you're applying in-state you have a better chance under this system. And, the point is that if you don't have at least higher than the median numbers and are applying out of state.. you probably will have a harder time getting in.. unless you're applying early.. and even then as evidenced by bayougrl26's comments about how long she had to wait to get a decision they're taking longer to respond to out of state residents. If you're in-state and have around the median it seems as though you will probably not have a problem getting in.


You have some serious reasoning problems in this post. Anyway... if you don't have any evidence to support these claims you are making, I propose we get back to the purpose of this thread which is keeping other applicants and admitted students updated on acceptances/denials and scholarship awards.


What evidence do you want? A leaked instruction manual from the admissions committee? A lot of state schools employ a similar system, b/c it is fast and effective. The bottom line is that all things being equal except for residency status, an in-state applicant will have a better chance. I apologize for getting off topic, since there were previous posts about quotas on the board, I figured it was about more than just scholarship and decision notifications.


BLin89's statement is closest to what is actually going on. This is something that is common to most public law schools, not just LSU.

As you all know, LS are pretty much a slave to USNWR. One of the figures that USNWR takes into account is how selective a school is- how many offers of acceptance they extend compared to how many applications they receive. A higher percentage = less selective, lower percentage = more selective. LS also know that applicants are being told that they should choose the LS that is both cost effective, but in a city where they can actually see themselves practicing. An LA resident, especially one who has lived there most of their life, is more likely to stay in LA than one that is OOS. So, since they are more likely to stay in LA, they are more likely to accept an offer from LSU, keeping LSU's offer count low. When LSU, and most LS, make a decision they are not only picking applicants that are within their numbers, a good fit for the school, and so on, but are also picking applicants they think will actually accept their offer.

I'm sure there may be some quotas or something involved, but that is pretty much the underlying motivation- Ad comms want to accept people that actually want to go there.

Good luck you guys, I know the waiting game sucks :(

User avatar
TT09
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: LSU 2011

Postby TT09 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Okay, so I'm writing an LOCI and was wondering what I should actually write out as the official title of the school. Should I write the Paul M. Hebert Law Center or the LSU Law Center? Can I still reference it as LSU Law?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, harmcharm, hip to be Square, m052310, Rich Uncle Skeleton, Smc1994, studyingeveryday, Tomthecat, ZEROL27 and 19 guests