LSU 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cartercl

Bronze

LSU 2011

Post by cartercl » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:51 pm

Decided to start a thread for the LSU applicants. Louisiana resident here; just submitted my application today. Let's keep each other updated. Good luck to everyone!

csnowden1985

New

Re: LSU 2011

Post by csnowden1985 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:41 am

If anyone has any questions, I am literally sitting in class right now as a new 1L. I can try and answer them. I am an out of stater, if that helps as well. This forum help me alot last year. I could probably answer any general question.

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:43 pm

I have a few questions. How much are you studying everyday; is the workload heavy? How are the professors; do they seem to have any pet peeves? How easy was it for you to find housing close to the school? And what's the atmosphere like?

(Sorry for all the questions. Thanks though!)

ChattTNdt

Bronze

Post by ChattTNdt » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:43 am

Haha csnowden... I know who you are, and I know what class you were in when you offered to take questions... I'm in that class right now too...

The workload is, in some ways, heavier than at other state schools because of the civil law class requirements. In addition to traditional Fall 1L classes (Contracts, Torts, Civ Pro, Crim Law, LR&W), we have a 3-hour Legal Traditions & Systems class. This class is described as a historical look at the development of the French legal system and how it translates to the modern-day Louisiana Civil Code. So 1L's take 16 hours each semester here. Personally, I have been frontloading my work each week. I spend approx. 5 hours each day Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, 2-4 hours Wednesday and Thursday, and Friday and Saturday (when I'm not socializing / drinking / watching football) I don't work on any actual class assignments- I use this time to think big picture, thinking through the development of each class thus far and trying to grasp concepts and trends. I haven't felt overwhelmed at all yet, and I think this is a pretty common feeling across the class. The workload is very similar to what I expected.

Generally, the professors are awesome. From what I can tell only about half the professors truly use a Socratic method. Crim Law is extremely entertaining, but hard to grasp a big picture because everything the professor says is a question. He has the reputation of "hiding the ball", but looking for it is fun.

Check out therath.com if you want a good laugh. It is a collection of funny quotes from classes with LSU professors.

As far as housing, I chose a place ~15-20 minutes from campus because I wanted to be far away from the massive undergraduate population. Most of the 1L's I know do live very close to campus, and from what I've heard it is easy to find housing as long as you start looking by July. If you want a quieter, more private area, there are a fair number of good apartment options 3-6 miles from campus.

The atmosphere is very relaxed. No traditional "gunners", a plethora of helpful 2Ls and 3Ls, and lots and lots of alcohol. Every Friday the SBA holds an event for law students at various local bars, complete with free and discounted drinks all night. Beer was served after both days of orientation, IN the law center! Being from Tennessee, the "buckle of the bible belt", this blew my mind! This might not be as unheard of to most people, but I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Hope this information is helpful. I don't mind answering questions at all... TLS was such an amazing resource for me during the application and decision making processes, I am happy to give back.

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:21 pm

Yeah man, you pretty much covered everything. Thanks a lot for taking the time to do that. I'm from Louisiana so I definitely know how much of a party school LSU is (undergrad anyway). I guess it's a good thing that everyone isn't so serious all the time. I'm kind of looking forward to being in that type of atmosphere.

When did you get accepted? I just got my PAWS account and admissions told me I should be complete by early next week. I was just trying to get an idea of when the adcomm will start to review applications. What is your impression of the admissions cycle at LSU having gone through it already?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ChattTNdt

Bronze

Post by ChattTNdt » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:29 pm

I got accepted very late in the cycle. I didn't even apply to LSU until early February, and was accepted by the middle of March... so I can't say much about the early part of the admission cycle. I can say that scholarship info does not come with the acceptance later... it comes 2-3 weeks later.

Last year you could actually be tipped off early that you had been accepted... your PAWS account will "expand", in that all of the options on the left side will become expandable. I never checked mine before I got my acceptance, so I can't attest to what actually changes... but everybody else was talking about it. Anyway, if I remember correctly there weren't any decisions until around Christmas...but LSN would be more precise about the date.

JDLaf

New

Post by JDLaf » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:36 am

I just applied and got my PAWS account all set up. I'm an out-of-stater but an active duty military type so hopefully that will work in my favor?? Definitely looking forward to a decision!

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:57 pm

JDLaf wrote:I just applied and got my PAWS account all set up. I'm an out-of-stater but an active duty military type so hopefully that will work in my favor?? Definitely looking forward to a decision!
Good luck! Hopefully it won't be 4 months before we get some news. What branch of the military are you in?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:34 pm

sending in an app next week :) good luck yall

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JDLaf

New

Post by JDLaf » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:07 am

cartercl wrote:
JDLaf wrote:I just applied and got my PAWS account all set up. I'm an out-of-stater but an active duty military type so hopefully that will work in my favor?? Definitely looking forward to a decision!
Good luck! Hopefully it won't be 4 months before we get some news. What branch of the military are you in?
I'm in the Air Force. Hopefully it will be more like 2 months rather than 4, haha.

jellopuddingpops

New

Post by jellopuddingpops » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:11 am

csnowden1985 wrote:If anyone has any questions, I am literally sitting in class right now as a new 1L. I can try and answer them. I am an out of stater, if that helps as well. This forum help me alot last year. I could probably answer any general question.
Sitting crim law, eh? Little Pee Wee and Joseph getting drunker than a hootenaney (no idea how to spell that word)

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Noticed that some acceptances were posted on LSN today. Anyone heard anything yet?

adamoore35

New

Post by adamoore35 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:16 pm

I got an acceptance in the mail today.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jim

New

Post by jim » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:17 pm

Got an acceptance packet in the mail today. It said scholarship decisions had not been made yet.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:44 pm

boo for not being able to find my mail key lol.

SouthernMagnolia

New

Post by SouthernMagnolia » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:13 pm

Hey everyone, I sent in my application to LSU in early November. I noticed a lot of you have talked about receiving a PAWS account. This may be a dumb question, but why haven't I received any information on one? I'm currently an undergraduate at LSU - does that mean I don't get one? Sorry, just trying to make sure nothing went awry with my application.

On another note, I know some people have already gotten acceptance letters. When did y'all send in your applications?

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:54 am

SouthernMagnolia wrote:Hey everyone, I sent in my application to LSU in early November. I noticed a lot of you have talked about receiving a PAWS account. This may be a dumb question, but why haven't I received any information on one? I'm currently an undergraduate at LSU - does that mean I don't get one? Sorry, just trying to make sure nothing went awry with my application.

On another note, I know some people have already gotten acceptance letters. When did y'all send in your applications?
If you go to LSU for undergrad you should already have a PAWS account, I believe. That's probably why you didn't get one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SouthernMagnolia

New

Post by SouthernMagnolia » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:37 am

Yeah, that's what I figured. I didn't think there was a separate PAWS account for law students. Just checking ... thanks!

pokerlaw

Bronze

Post by pokerlaw » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:39 am

When did people apply?

I went complete on 11/16

deliriousxix

Bronze

Post by deliriousxix » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:52 am

I went complete 11/22.

SouthernMagnolia

New

Post by SouthernMagnolia » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:47 pm

11/11

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JDLaf

New

Post by JDLaf » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:08 pm

went complete 10/28.

SouthernMagnolia

New

Post by SouthernMagnolia » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:16 am

I wanted to get some feedback on this. I may be reading too much into things. I noticed that a user on LSN who has numbers very similar to mine has already been accepted to LSU. She has a 156 LSAT and a 3.89 GPA, I have a 155 LSAT and a 3.95. We are both white females. She applied one day before I did.

Is this a bad sign that I haven't received a decision yet?

bendtheslurry

New

Post by bendtheslurry » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:39 pm

SouthernMagnolia wrote:I wanted to get some feedback on this. I may be reading too much into things. I noticed that a user on LSN who has numbers very similar to mine has already been accepted to LSU. She has a 156 LSAT and a 3.89 GPA, I have a 155 LSAT and a 3.95. We are both white females. She applied one day before I did.

Is this a bad sign that I haven't received a decision yet?
I dont think so. I have a higher lsat, lower gpa than you and I haven't heard back yet. Maybe you applied before I did? I went complete early/mid november.

txag10

Bronze

Post by txag10 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:27 am

The annoying this is, I can't check the status online.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”