UChicago 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby thecilent » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:46 pm

Calla Lily wrote:It was on the website, where it describes the application components, but it wasn't actually listed on the application itself.


Yeah. It's on the instructions and checklist thing for the app on lsac too. But I didn't even look at that

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Rand M. » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:47 pm

Don't worry.

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Shoot, same here. Glad TLS is there to notice these things; can't believe I didn't. I want Chicago to know I worked long hours in undergrad, so I'm just going to email them an updated resume. I don't think it's a big deal.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby thecilent » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Shoot, same here. Glad TLS is there to notice these things; can't believe I didn't. I want Chicago to know I worked long hours in undergrad, so I'm just going to email them an updated resume. I don't think it's a big deal.


I worked a lot of hours too, but don't think I'm going to update. How much can that really help..

User avatar
purduepete2011
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby purduepete2011 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:55 pm

anyone been to downtown chicago lately? it is one of the greatest cities, by far. went last weekend and ate the best steak of my life--which is hopefully a harbinger of good fortune to come.

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby lawschoollll » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:09 pm

purduepete2011 wrote:anyone been to downtown chicago lately? it is one of the greatest cities, by far. went last weekend and ate the best steak of my life--which is hopefully a harbinger of good fortune to come.

If you like downtown Chicago, U of Chi might not be for you...

User avatar
jd2014!
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby jd2014! » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:41 pm

thecilent wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:Shoot, same here. Glad TLS is there to notice these things; can't believe I didn't. I want Chicago to know I worked long hours in undergrad, so I'm just going to email them an updated resume. I don't think it's a big deal.


I worked a lot of hours too, but don't think I'm going to update. How much can that really help..



Don't send an update if you've already gone complete- from the Chicago Law admissions FAQ:

"After your online status checker indicates that your application is "Complete", you may no longer submit any additional materials for your file unless additional materials are requested by the Admissions Committee."

It probably won't help much, especially if you've already gone complete. They might think you don't pay any attention to the directions.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby thecilent » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:11 am

Gotya thanks

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:46 am

jd2014! wrote:
thecilent wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:Shoot, same here. Glad TLS is there to notice these things; can't believe I didn't. I want Chicago to know I worked long hours in undergrad, so I'm just going to email them an updated resume. I don't think it's a big deal.


I worked a lot of hours too, but don't think I'm going to update. How much can that really help..



Don't send an update if you've already gone complete- from the Chicago Law admissions FAQ:

"After your online status checker indicates that your application is "Complete", you may no longer submit any additional materials for your file unless additional materials are requested by the Admissions Committee."

It probably won't help much, especially if you've already gone complete. They might think you don't pay any attention to the directions.


I haven't gone complete yet, and I'm going to need any potential help that I might get. They might think I don't pay any attention to the directions if they see that my resume doesn't list my work hours and that I didn't bother to correct it. But, good advice for people who have gone complete.

User avatar
sarcasticswede
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby sarcasticswede » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:01 am

From the Admission's Dean Interview:

AD What is the most egregious error you ever saw on a candidate's application at Chicago?
AP For the past three years we have had a completely paperless admissions process which has allowed us to cut down from eleven 5-drawer file cabinets to just one file drawer. So it's been really great. What hasn't been so great is when people submit their applications electronically without doing a thorough final review. So, as a result, we've had a few people submit their personal statement as Word documents despite having left the “track changes” function on.
AD Oh, that's awesome.
AP Oh sure, right, it's great! I mean, seriously, do you really want me to see exactly who reviewed your personal statement and see the edits that they made? Now I realize that accidents happen and it might be tricky to turn track changes off, but I also know that I'm always very careful to make sure that I turn off the track changes function before I send a document. Applicants have to always remember that they are applying to be a member of the legal profession – a job where small details matter and can literally mean the difference between having a brilliant legal career or getting sued for malpractice. What we want to see from every applicant is that they can represent the profession well by exercising good judgment, and that means paying close attention to details.



Not sure if this makes everyone feel better or worse, but as long as you didn't leave track changes on I think you're probably ok.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Knock » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:18 am

sarcasticswede wrote:From the Admission's Dean Interview:

AD What is the most egregious error you ever saw on a candidate's application at Chicago?
AP For the past three years we have had a completely paperless admissions process which has allowed us to cut down from eleven 5-drawer file cabinets to just one file drawer. So it's been really great. What hasn't been so great is when people submit their applications electronically without doing a thorough final review. So, as a result, we've had a few people submit their personal statement as Word documents despite having left the “track changes” function on.
AD Oh, that's awesome.
AP Oh sure, right, it's great! I mean, seriously, do you really want me to see exactly who reviewed your personal statement and see the edits that they made? Now I realize that accidents happen and it might be tricky to turn track changes off, but I also know that I'm always very careful to make sure that I turn off the track changes function before I send a document. Applicants have to always remember that they are applying to be a member of the legal profession – a job where small details matter and can literally mean the difference between having a brilliant legal career or getting sued for malpractice. What we want to see from every applicant is that they can represent the profession well by exercising good judgment, and that means paying close attention to details.



Not sure if this makes everyone feel better or worse, but as long as you didn't leave track changes on I think you're probably ok.


If it's fine in the preview PDF, then it's fine?

User avatar
bringbackfirefly
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:14 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby bringbackfirefly » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:22 am

Knockglock wrote:
If it's fine in the preview PDF, then it's fine?


If you're really concerned, you could just copy-paste into a new document and submit that document.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Knock » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:23 am

bringbackfirefly wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
If it's fine in the preview PDF, then it's fine?


If you're really concerned, you could just copy-paste into a new document and submit that document.


I already submitted. I might have done that though anyways I can't remember.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:25 am

If PDF is fine, it's fine.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Knock » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:30 am

r6_philly wrote:If PDF is fine, it's fine.


Okay, phew

User avatar
bringbackfirefly
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:14 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby bringbackfirefly » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:30 am

Knockglock wrote:
bringbackfirefly wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
If it's fine in the preview PDF, then it's fine?


If you're really concerned, you could just copy-paste into a new document and submit that document.


I already submitted. I might have done that though anyways I can't remember.


In that case, I'm sure it's fine and good luck! Now to stop procrastinating on TLS and finish my DS...

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby kazu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:15 am

Has anyone gone under review during the past few weeks?

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby 4102011 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:32 am

Kazu I went complete on the 15th and I'm not under review yet~

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby kazu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:52 pm

dulcatis wrote:Kazu I went complete on the 15th and I'm not under review yet~

<333

I was just wondering, everyone seemed to go under review really fast during September and then they just dried up in October. Wonder why?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:57 pm

Complete 7th, not UR yet.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby kk19131 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:48 am

I've been under review since Sept. 30th...

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:18 pm

kk19131 wrote:I've been under review since Sept. 30th...

User avatar
cigrainger
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby cigrainger » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:22 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I've been under review since Sept. 30th...

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby 4102011 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:24 pm

I've apparently been UR since 10/15! Only 2.5 more months until I hear something :/

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Sentry » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:25 pm

Went under review today!!!!! :D :D :D

Come on U of C don't let me down.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], mm2368, roar1018 and 12 guests