UChicago 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:19 pm

I was excited about the Rubenstein, because of how it could push merit aid downward to people who wouldn't have gotten any before. But now I'm thinking... I would never qualify for aid from Chicago anyway, and this will just make the school more attractive to students who otherwise would have gone to C and N, or maybe even to YHS (?). Meaning Chicago won't have to stoop to kids with my numbers who otherwise might have a chance. On the other hand, this could end up giving borderline candidates a boost at CLS and NYU... but then again, probably not this cycle, since CLS and NYU won't yet be sure what the effect of the Rubensteins is (if it's even on their radar screens). Sooo I'm probably overthinking this, but has anyone else reasoned a similar effect?

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby arism87 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:I was excited about the Rubenstein, because of how it could push merit aid downward to people who wouldn't have gotten any before. But now I'm thinking... I would never qualify for aid from Chicago anyway, and this will just make the school more attractive to students who otherwise would have gone to C and N, or maybe even to YHS (?). Meaning Chicago won't have to stoop to kids with my numbers who otherwise might have a chance. On the other hand, this could end up giving borderline candidates a boost at CLS and NYU... but then again, probably not this cycle, since CLS and NYU won't yet be sure what the effect of the Rubensteins is (if it's even on their radar screens). Sooo I'm probably overthinking this, but has anyone else reasoned a similar effect?


I think the effect has to be seen in borderline candidates SOMEWHERE. Fact remains there is a fixed number of people with HYS CCN numbers, and with Chicago upping the ante, there is more money out there to be had. True, CLS and NYU may not be planning ahead for this, but they might make more late offers off the WL or for $$ if they lose incoming students to Rubensteins.

Just my thoughts!

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:26 pm

My thinking is that, at least for this year, I can't see applications at Chicago going up because of the new scholarships. It just isn't that well known (I would think).

So I'm hoping for a trickle down effect. Looking at LSN, a few people with my numbers got like $20,000 from Chi. Hopefully they'll be giving out more of these small schollys since the big ones are handled by the Rubensteins.

And then NYU/Columbia will feel compelled to throw a little money my way when I explain how awesome Chicago is being.

=D

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:31 pm

Those both make sense. I guess I would be happy with any sort of adjustment toward CCN taking more borderline candidates, no matter which of the schools it came from (but secretly I love Chicago the most!)

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby T6Hopeful » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:13 pm

As Chicago is my 2nd choice, the thought of Rubensteins almost single-handedly stopped me from a Columbia ED. But then I realized that in the case I were even somehow even able to pull off a Rubenstein, there's a possibly I would need to defer, thus losing the scholarship. Plus, it's obviously not guaranteed I'll get in, in the first place. C'est la vie, I guess.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Im thinking the numbers for the Rubenstein would have to be similar(maybe slightly lower) to Hamilton numbers. With 20 of them being handed out, it should seriously push up Chicago medians. Only problem is, Im not sure how many ppl outside of TLS know about the Rubenstein so there could be a year delay before it gets super competitive. Its probably just a little out of my reach but if I were to get it, it would immediately end my cycle. The clincher for me is Chicago COL plus the full use of SA monies toward costs. At Harvard, getting 30k over the summer via a SA would reduce need based aid for the following year by about 15k. With the Rubenstein, your summer earnings can eliminate the need for a COL loan for 3L year. Basically, its not out of the question to only have 20-30k in total loans from UChicago with the Rubenstein. The more I do the math, I really dont see how low income students with numbers for CCN full scholarships could ever end up at HYS.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:49 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:My thinking is that, at least for this year, I can't see applications at Chicago going up because of the new scholarships. It just isn't that well known (I would think).

So I'm hoping for a trickle down effect. Looking at LSN, a few people with my numbers got like $20,000 from Chi. Hopefully they'll be giving out more of these small schollys since the big ones are handled by the Rubensteins.

And then NYU/Columbia will feel compelled to throw a little money my way when I explain how awesome Chicago is being.

=D

This is actually what I'm really hoping for. Now, I don't know what they're looking for in Rubenstein candidates, but it's almost assuredly not my numbers/softs. But generally, people with my numbers seem to get either $0, $30K, or $45K in scholarships. So I'm hoping that having extra money for the people at the top will serve to essentially bump up my amount some. It's wishful, but I wouldn't say unlikely. Guess we'll see!

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:56 pm

I went complete recently and expect my Rubenstein invite shortly.

User avatar
pinkzeppelin
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby pinkzeppelin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:56 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:My thinking is that, at least for this year, I can't see applications at Chicago going up because of the new scholarships. It just isn't that well known (I would think).

So I'm hoping for a trickle down effect. Looking at LSN, a few people with my numbers got like $20,000 from Chi. Hopefully they'll be giving out more of these small schollys since the big ones are handled by the Rubensteins.

And then NYU/Columbia will feel compelled to throw a little money my way when I explain how awesome Chicago is being.

=D


I specifically applied because of the scholarship. So that's at least one more application.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:07 pm

pinkzeppelin wrote:I specifically applied because of the scholarship. So that's at least one more application.


Count me in, but not that I have a chance.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Tanicius » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:26 pm

Tagging thread.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Dany » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:32 pm

Tanicius wrote:Tagging thread.

Welcome!

User avatar
Trustbuster
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:48 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Trustbuster » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:21 pm

Aw how cute, I was updated to 12/13 today. Its funny because it implies they're actually looking at my app.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby thecilent » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Mine updated to 12/13 toooo. Hmmmm

User avatar
obrienfa
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby obrienfa » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:25 pm

Do we know for the Rubenstein if it is just numbers or if they look at other factors?

Just checked and mine updated as well.
Last edited by obrienfa on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby mrmangs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:25 pm

Mine has also updated.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby duckmoney » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:29 pm

Mine too. I thought they had forgotten about me / auto-dinged me since I'd been UR since 9/30 up to now.

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby 4102011 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:30 pm

thecilent wrote:Mine updated to 12/13 toooo. Hmmmm


Same.

pulandasu
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby pulandasu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:31 pm

dulcatis wrote:
thecilent wrote:Mine updated to 12/13 toooo. Hmmmm


Same.


maybe this is an auto-update. same for me as well.

User avatar
absolutazn87
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby absolutazn87 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Mine still at 9/30 :(

User avatar
jd2014!
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:31 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby jd2014! » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:33 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:Mine still at 9/30 :(



+1

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby arism87 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:33 pm

pulandasu wrote:
dulcatis wrote:
thecilent wrote:Mine updated to 12/13 toooo. Hmmmm


Same.


maybe this is an auto-update. same for me as well.


Aww mine didn't :( and I applied early Sept *tries not to be neurotic and stress*

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:34 pm

Mine went 11/15 -> 12/13 just now. Checked it this morning was still 11/15.

syezzie
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby syezzie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:Mine went 11/15 -> 12/13 just now. Checked it this morning was still 11/15.


Same

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby thecilent » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:35 pm

Guesses at why 12/13 updates? Auto-admits obvii, right?

Oh and when does UChi usually start sending out? Isnt like a few weeks?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”