UChicago 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pinkzeppelin

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby pinkzeppelin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:48 am

Have there been any scholarship offers yet?

bkhopeful

Postby bkhopeful » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:32 pm

The Stig wrote:I can't make it to ASW in April, and I just booked my ticket to the Day in the Life program on Feb 18th...anyone else going then?!?!?!

Yeah, I'm skipping ASW to attend Berkeley's. Do they give travel stipends for the Feb program? I got unexpectedly excited about Chi after flipping through the viewbook last night (NOT the creepy Glass Menagerie thing).

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:34 pm

pinkzeppelin wrote:Have there been any scholarship offers yet?

No.

Calla Lily

Postby Calla Lily » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:36 pm

bkhopeful wrote:
The Stig wrote:I can't make it to ASW in April, and I just booked my ticket to the Day in the Life program on Feb 18th...anyone else going then?!?!?!

Yeah, I'm skipping ASW to attend Berkeley's. Do they give travel stipends for the Feb program? I got unexpectedly excited about Chi after flipping through the viewbook last night (NOT the creepy Glass Menagerie thing).

In the viewbook, I believe it said that the up to $200 travel stipend would apply for either the ASW or Day in the Life programs.

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:46 pm

Just updated to under review 1/24...I see a rejection email in the near future...

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:48 pm

The viewbook looked cool to me. I'll probably just be traveling up there by train or something given where my UG is. I'll just arrange a day to see what it's all about. The tour or something and sitting in a class I suppose. Not enough cash to fly to multiple ASWs...got to figure that out given my spring break plans.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:56 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:The viewbook looked cool to me. I'll probably just be traveling up there by train or something given where my UG is. I'll just arrange a day to see what it's all about. The tour or something and sitting in a class I suppose. Not enough cash to fly to multiple ASWs...got to figure that out given my spring break plans.

As mentioned above, they offer a $200 reimbursement for their ASW & Day in the Life Plans (my ticket was $197 :D )!

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Still sitting at complete 12/21. 3.74/177. A little bit dismaying seeing everyone else go UR but from reading the thread it doesn't seem that anyone who applied in mid-December has gone UR, correct?

Good luck to everyone!!

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:53 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
pinkzeppelin wrote:Have there been any scholarship offers yet?

No.

The committee on the Rubenstein meets all next month.

WarioLaw

Postby WarioLaw » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Ship87 wrote:Still sitting at complete 12/21. 3.74/177. A little bit dismaying seeing everyone else go UR but from reading the thread it doesn't seem that anyone who applied in mid-December has gone UR, correct?

Good luck to everyone!!

+1

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:49 pm

AfroThunder1212 wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:I just got my second under review date - 1/18. My first was 12/23. I'm in the Rubenstein pile, right?

ditto

Why would people who haven't been accepted yet already have been sent for Rubenstein review? I figured they just sent mine back for another review because they couldn't figure out if I was really smart or really dumb. Or am I misunderstanding what the Rubenstein is - those are the full tuition deals right?

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:51 pm

ahduth wrote:
AfroThunder1212 wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:I just got my second under review date - 1/18. My first was 12/23. I'm in the Rubenstein pile, right?

ditto

Why would people who haven't been accepted yet already have been sent for Rubenstein review? I figured they just sent mine back for another review because they couldn't figure out if I was really smart or really dumb. Or am I misunderstanding what the Rubenstein is - those are the full tuition deals right?

Yeah full schollys but are they purely merit like the Hamilton or Darrow or are they more holistic?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:07 pm

RJ127 wrote:Yeah full schollys but are they purely merit like the Hamilton or Darrow or are they more holistic?

Full merit.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:11 pm

Explain to me the difference between full merit and holistic lol..
And FWIW, the Rubenstein process is definitely underway.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:07 pm

Fresh wrote:Explain to me the difference between full merit and holistic lol..

I would assume full merit = purely #s, nothing else considered. Holistic takes into consideration outside factors, URM status, economic need, leadership skills, WE...etc.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:13 pm

RJ127 wrote:

I would assume full merit = purely #s, nothing else considered. Holistic takes into consideration outside factors, URM status, economic need, leadership skills, WE...etc.

Riiight, maybe the Rubenstein process will be "holistic" just like then entire law school application process is "holistic." :roll:

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:19 pm

was this discussed in one of the chats?? Or do you have insider info?? Im pretty sure a Rubenstein would end my cycle. They got my updated report on the 15th. Hopefully that made it into the Rubenstein committee

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:20 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

was this discussed in one of the chats?? Or do you have insider info?? Im pretty sure a Rubenstein would end my cycle. They got my updated report on the 15th. Hopefully that made it into the Rubenstein committee

You'd take a Ruby over max HLS grant?

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:25 pm

Anyone else still hanging around with a 1/13 second UR?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:26 pm

RJ127 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

You'd take a Ruby over max HLS grant?

Im not 100% sure but I feel like Im leaning that way. Doing the math, and considering that Harvard reduces grant aid if you make substantial summer money, I honestly see very, very little chance of HYS over CCN w/ full ride ever being a financially prudent decision. If I was in a position where I had parents who could lend me money or something then maybe I would. Assuming a 2L SA, You could very well end up with just 30k in loans from Chicago. Harvard you are looking at 125k minimum.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:48 pm

RJ127 wrote:

I assumed he meant merit-based versus merit- and need-based considered together. Now I'm just confused. The Hamilton and the Darrow are purely numbers? Sometimes I can't believe the way this process is run.

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:55 pm

ahduth wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

I assumed he meant merit-based versus merit- and need-based considered together. Now I'm just confused. The Hamilton and the Darrow are purely numbers? Sometimes I can't believe the way this process is run.

The Darrow is intended to be "holistic". From the invitation email:

"Of all the merit scholarships awarded by the University of Michigan Law School, the Darrow is the apogee. The award of a Darrow Scholarship reflects not merely the recipient's outstanding scholastic achievements, because those abound in our student body, but our sense that the recipient will one day go on to a remarkable career. Darrows vary in amount, but can be as large as full tuition for three years at the Law School, plus a stipend.

Our comprehensive review of your application materials has led us to conclude that you are a fine candidate for a Darrow. If you would like to be considered, please compose an essay on the following: In 500 words or less, discuss your involvement in and contributions to a particular community. What did you accomplish? How did this experience influence your goals? How did your involvement make a difference to others? How did their involvement make a difference to you?"

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:57 pm

er doctor wrote:
ahduth wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

The Darrow is intended to be "holistic". From the invitation email:

"Of all the merit scholarships awarded by the University of Michigan Law School, the Darrow is the apogee. The award of a Darrow Scholarship reflects not merely the recipient's outstanding scholastic achievements, because those abound in our student body, but our sense that the recipient will one day go on to a remarkable career. Darrows vary in amount, but can be as large as full tuition for three years at the Law School, plus a stipend.

Our comprehensive review of your application materials has led us to conclude that you are a fine candidate for a Darrow. If you would like to be considered, please compose an essay on the following: In 500 words or less, discuss your involvement in and contributions to a particular community. What did you accomplish? How did this experience influence your goals? How did your involvement make a difference to others? How did their involvement make a difference to you?"

They say holistic but wrapping quotes around it def applies. You will only get the invite if you have certain #s but for URMs, it seems the #s are scaled down a tad bit (for Darrow). But I believe the Hamilton is def more numbers driven than the Darrow, based on past recipients. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

giddybiscuit

Postby giddybiscuit » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:11 am

1/18 -> 1/20 -> 1/24.... I am so hoping this doesn't mean auto-ding, but with my scores, who knows.

awahoya

Postby awahoya » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:20 am

giddybiscuit wrote:1/18 -> 1/20 -> 1/24.... I am so hoping this doesn't mean auto-ding, but with my scores, who knows.

頑張ってね~  :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”