UChicago 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:24 pm

arism87 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:I don't know what to do for needaccess. Hell, my father isn't even listed on my birth certificate.


What does it ask for?

Detailed financial information. Including tax information and asset/liabilities information.

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Muenchen » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:24 pm

arism87 wrote:Question for those who have started the FAFSA/can at least see it:

I gather that I have to give parental information, per law school request.

Well, what does that mean? Technically my dad last had custody of me. Do I need my mom's info anyway? She doesn't work/have any assets, really- but she files jointly with my stepdad. Do I need to put HIS info? That would REALLY suck, guy's pretty loaded but I have never seen a dime of it (not complaining, I don't need it and he has 6 kids- but it is what it is, lol)

Help!


(Take this as non-expert understanding)
It's my understanding that this depends on how your taxes are going to be filed/how you want to give information. If you normally file as an independent, than you do not need to give parental information (this of course does not apply to NeedAccess form) and only need to give your numbers (or estimates if you haven't filed). As far as parental contributions go, you need to read the fine print about who qualifies as a "parent" in the sense of contribution amounts relative to you. HTH at least a little.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:25 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:sorry if this is a dumb question, but if we aren't applying for loans should we still fill out FAFSA for merit scholarships? or is that unnecessary?

I believe it is uneccessary, but schools seem to think that if you need aid scholarships you should be using loans.

I'm not filling out FAFSA because I am not American.

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Muenchen » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:25 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:sorry if this is a dumb question, but if we aren't applying for loans should we still fill out FAFSA for merit scholarships? or is that unnecessary?


You must fill out the FAFSA no matter what. They may offer you a package, but you don't have to accept it. Still necessary though.
Last edited by Muenchen on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:27 pm

seancooksey07 wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:sorry if this is a dumb question, but if we aren't applying for loans should we still fill out FAFSA for merit scholarships? or is that unnecessary?


You must fill out the FAFSA no matter what. They may offer you a package, but you don't have to accept it. Still necessary though.

Are you certain?

Edit: I'm certain you are incorrect about this. Nowhere does it say this that I have found.
Last edited by WestOfTheRest on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:27 pm

When I just went to the Need Access form I saw other law schools on it... should I put all of them or just UChi?

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Muenchen » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:29 pm

CastleRock wrote:
seancooksey07 wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:sorry if this is a dumb question, but if we aren't applying for loans should we still fill out FAFSA for merit scholarships? or is that unnecessary?


You must fill out the FAFSA no matter what. They may offer you a package, but you don't have to accept it. Still necessary though.

Are you certain?


From a cost/benefit standpoint, even if it isn't necessary, filling it out FOR FREE commits you to no loans or liabilities. You can reject any financial student loans they offer so you don't have anything to lose really.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:30 pm

seancooksey07 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
seancooksey07 wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:sorry if this is a dumb question, but if we aren't applying for loans should we still fill out FAFSA for merit scholarships? or is that unnecessary?


You must fill out the FAFSA no matter what. They may offer you a package, but you don't have to accept it. Still necessary though.

Are you certain?


From a cost/benefit standpoint, even if it isn't necessary, filling it out FOR FREE commits you to no loans or liabilities. You can reject any financial student loans they offer so you don't have anything to lose really.

Well, for most students this is true. But it's just a waste of time for me, and definitely not required.

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Muenchen » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:35 pm

If anyone is really uncertain however, the best thing to do is just to e-mail FinAid. They responded to my questions same day.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby arism87 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:41 pm

CastleRock wrote:
arism87 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:I don't know what to do for needaccess. Hell, my father isn't even listed on my birth certificate.


What does it ask for?

Detailed financial information. Including tax information and asset/liabilities information.


Yeah, but from whom exactly?

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:42 pm

arism87 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
arism87 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:I don't know what to do for needaccess. Hell, my father isn't even listed on my birth certificate.


What does it ask for?

Detailed financial information. Including tax information and asset/liabilities information.


Yeah, but from whom exactly?

From you, your mother and your father. I don't know if you have a different question that I am failing to answer.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby arism87 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:42 pm

seancooksey07 wrote:
arism87 wrote:Question for those who have started the FAFSA/can at least see it:

I gather that I have to give parental information, per law school request.

Well, what does that mean? Technically my dad last had custody of me. Do I need my mom's info anyway? She doesn't work/have any assets, really- but she files jointly with my stepdad. Do I need to put HIS info? That would REALLY suck, guy's pretty loaded but I have never seen a dime of it (not complaining, I don't need it and he has 6 kids- but it is what it is, lol)

Help!


(Take this as non-expert understanding)
It's my understanding that this depends on how your taxes are going to be filed/how you want to give information. If you normally file as an independent, than you do not need to give parental information (this of course does not apply to NeedAccess form) and only need to give your numbers (or estimates if you haven't filed). As far as parental contributions go, you need to read the fine print about who qualifies as a "parent" in the sense of contribution amounts relative to you. HTH at least a little.


I do file as an independent, but it seems that many schools require you to put parental information anyway. Which means FAFSA probably can't even answer the question about WHICH parents, as they don't require ANY. I don't want to have to call all 10 schools I'm considering to ask them.. plus I can really either include it or not include it, I'm not down with sending and revising and sending again..

Bottom line, this blows.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby arism87 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:43 pm

CastleRock wrote:From you, your mother and your father. I don't know if you have a different question that I am failing to answer.


So if they ask for info from my mother- can I get away with her zeros? Or is it the numbers on her tax forms which she files jointly with my stepdad- thus including his info as well?

That might be a really specific question if it doesn't apply to you, but if you happen to know.. lol

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:46 pm

arism87 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:From you, your mother and your father. I don't know if you have a different question that I am failing to answer.


So if they ask for info from my mother- can I get away with her zeros? Or is it the numbers on her tax forms which she files jointly with my stepdad- thus including his info as well?

That might be a really specific question if it doesn't apply to you, but if you happen to know.. lol

It doesnt specifically ask for Income taxes, so you can likely provide numbers specific to your mother.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby arism87 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:17 pm

CastleRock wrote:
arism87 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:From you, your mother and your father. I don't know if you have a different question that I am failing to answer.


So if they ask for info from my mother- can I get away with her zeros? Or is it the numbers on her tax forms which she files jointly with my stepdad- thus including his info as well?

That might be a really specific question if it doesn't apply to you, but if you happen to know.. lol

It doesnt specifically ask for Income taxes, so you can likely provide numbers specific to your mother.


I just looked, and it asks for "household income".. Yeah, let me provide numbers for FOUR parents/stepparents when none of them are helping, and only one has ever helped at all- and even then never paid a dime of UG tuition.. phenom.

Sorry, this rant is misplaced.. *off to find the RANT thread..* :cry:

HowdyYall
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby HowdyYall » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:19 pm

wait, so has anyone established whether parents information is needed by UChicago on FAFSA. From their admitted students website it looks like they only need parental info on the NeedAccess form

tsbosox
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby tsbosox » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:38 pm

Has anyone with a complete date in december started to go under review yet?

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:40 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:sorry if this is a dumb question, but if we aren't applying for loans should we still fill out FAFSA for merit scholarships? or is that unnecessary?


I may have misread this in the chat(pretty good chance I did, it was hectic).. but one of the things they seemed to be encouraging was taking out the subsidized portion of Stafford loans, earning interest on the money while in law school, then paying back the principal before it starts to accrue interest if you dont end up using the money..

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:42 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:sorry if this is a dumb question, but if we aren't applying for loans should we still fill out FAFSA for merit scholarships? or is that unnecessary?


I may have misread this in the chat(pretty good chance I did, it was hectic).. but one of the things they seemed to be encouraging was taking out the subsidized portion of Stafford loans, earning interest on the money while in law school, then paying back the principal before it starts to accrue interest if you dont end up using the money..


did this in UG :) worked quite nicely.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby arism87 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Oh (rant not over) I want to also add that my "stepmother" is my age.

The idea that they are asking for "household income" and that this probably is intended to include her is lulzy..

User avatar
gatorgirl4life
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:06 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby gatorgirl4life » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:11 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:sorry if this is a dumb question, but if we aren't applying for loans should we still fill out FAFSA for merit scholarships? or is that unnecessary?


I may have misread this in the chat(pretty good chance I did, it was hectic).. but one of the things they seemed to be encouraging was taking out the subsidized portion of Stafford loans, earning interest on the money while in law school, then paying back the principal before it starts to accrue interest if you dont end up using the money..


ok thanks for helping to clear that up! and thanks to seancooksey07, too!

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Muenchen » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:43 pm

Filled out both my FAFSA and my NeedAccess tonight and I am glad to have it over with. Some of the questions on NeedAccess were a little ridiculous i.e. there was no way I could give them a perfect estimate, but overall if you have a parent standing by pretty painless albeit tedious. Some of the information you need to have is the basic 1040 information for you and your parent(s), information on some of your and your parents basic asset/debt situation (retirement accounts, investments, house, cars) and it definitely helps to have the entire 1040 chart to check for US tax amounts paid.

I'm just giving this info so those who haven't done it yet or looked at it know the kind of stuff to have ready before you fill it out. PM with any specific questions, though be warned that I am by no means an expert.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Dany » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:02 pm

seancooksey07 wrote:Filled out both my FAFSA and my NeedAccess tonight and I am glad to have it over with. Some of the questions on NeedAccess were a little ridiculous i.e. there was no way I could give them a perfect estimate, but overall if you have a parent standing by pretty painless albeit tedious. Some of the information you need to have is the basic 1040 information for you and your parent(s), information on some of your and your parents basic asset/debt situation (retirement accounts, investments, house, cars) and it definitely helps to have the entire 1040 chart to check for US tax amounts paid.

I'm just giving this info so those who haven't done it yet or looked at it know the kind of stuff to have ready before you fill it out. PM with any specific questions, though be warned that I am by no means an expert.

Thanks so much. My dad and I set a FAFSA/NeedAccess date for this weekend to knock it all out. So do you just do it once and it gets sent to all the schools you list?

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Muenchen » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:10 pm

eskimo wrote:
seancooksey07 wrote:Filled out both my FAFSA and my NeedAccess tonight and I am glad to have it over with. Some of the questions on NeedAccess were a little ridiculous i.e. there was no way I could give them a perfect estimate, but overall if you have a parent standing by pretty painless albeit tedious. Some of the information you need to have is the basic 1040 information for you and your parent(s), information on some of your and your parents basic asset/debt situation (retirement accounts, investments, house, cars) and it definitely helps to have the entire 1040 chart to check for US tax amounts paid.

I'm just giving this info so those who haven't done it yet or looked at it know the kind of stuff to have ready before you fill it out. PM with any specific questions, though be warned that I am by no means an expert.


Thanks so much. My dad and I set a FAFSA/NeedAccess date for this weekend to knock it all out. So do you just do it once and it gets sent to all the schools you list?


Yes, I would definitely do them all in one swoop. One mistake (well, in the sense that I wasted a bit of time) I made was doing the FAFSA, sending it off and closing that window, and then starting the NeedAccess. A lot of the information needed for the early NeedAccess info (especially if you are listed as a dependent and need parent info for the FAFSA) is the same, so it could save you some time to have both windows open so you can fill the same numbers for the same questions.

And yes, make sure you have your codes and whatnot. For the NeedAccess, there weren't any codes per se like the FAFSA, but you do have to look up the schools you want. (Note: I don't think all schools use NeedAccess. For example, I remember WUSTL asked me a lot of these questions on their application, and so I couldn't find them as a listed school on NeedAccess like I did for FAFSA)
HTH!

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Dany » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:14 pm

I really, really appreciate it. I didn't have to do a FAFSA or anything for undergrad, so I'm so new at this.

As an aside, I am spending unhealthy amounts of time on the Accepted Students' site and the Regents website looking at floor plans. *is in love*




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bloomsday, Christinabruin, jjcorvino, RictusErectus and 13 guests