UChicago 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:27 pm

The Stig wrote:
WhatSarahSaid wrote:
The Stig wrote:anyone participating in the online chat today at 3pm eastern?


I'm in it right now. I'll post some highlights after it, if people are interested.


interesting question from tkgarrett :lol:


Yeah.. did not like the way that was answered.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:28 pm

eskimo wrote:
WhatSarahSaid wrote:
The Stig wrote:anyone participating in the online chat today at 3pm eastern?


I'm in it right now. I'll post some highlights after it, if people are interested.

Yes please! I'm in class and on my iPod so I couldn't join y'all. And what did tk ask???


+1. Very curious now.

User avatar
The Stig
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:29 pm

eskimo wrote:
WhatSarahSaid wrote:
The Stig wrote:anyone participating in the online chat today at 3pm eastern?


I'm in it right now. I'll post some highlights after it, if people are interested.

Yes please! I'm in class and on my iPod so I couldn't join y'all. And what did tk ask???


I'll take this down if you don't want it posted but-

<tkgrrett> So even applicants who would only attend with one of the very large merit scholarships should do NeedAccess/Fafsa by February 1st?
<Karla> Well, I would hope that no one is in that situation.
<Karla> We hope that you want to be here and that you are not settling for UCHICAGO
<tkgrrett> By that I meant to say for students in a situation where it is only financially feasible to attend UChicago with one of the very large scholarships

made me :lol:
there was definitely a miscommunication there

User avatar
er doctor
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:35 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby er doctor » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:29 pm

yeah I got the link but was unable to access the admitted students website :(

User avatar
WhatSarahSaid
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:30 pm

So far, it's a lot of stuff about the specifics of NeedAccess/the FAFSA (deadlines, parental info, etc).

You guys might be interested in:

Q: Since it is new, I'm sure many have questions regarding the Rubenstein Law Scholars program. Is the criteria basically the same and decisions made based on all info after you receive it? Or will select people be invited to apply for it?

A: Well the Rubenstein Scholars Program is new and as of now, we have not contacted folks. We are quite holistic here and therefore consider the entire file again before making any offer, including a Rubenstein offer. Awards should begin to be released in mid-Feb.

Q: Will Feb LSATs be taken into consideration [for Rubenstein scholarships]? Seems like if Mid Feb is the release time for awards, it might be before the Feb LSAT scores are released.

A: We will be using the file as it exists now along with any submissions made before Feb 1 (Need Access, FAFSA).

User avatar
The Stig
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:31 pm

and i think a nice summary would be
-estimate when you don't have your parent's exact information (but correct it with the correct information by May 1st)
-submit FAFSA and NeedAccess to UChi by Feb 1st
-receive offer late february
Last edited by The Stig on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Knock » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:32 pm

er doctor wrote:yeah I got the link but was unable to access the admitted students website :(


Same here. Says authorization denied or something :|.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Dany » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:34 pm

The Stig wrote:and i think a nice summary would be
-estimate when you don't have your parent's exact information
-submit FAFSA and NeedAccess to UChi by Feb 1st
-receive offer late february

Awesome, thanks!

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:36 pm

RJ127 wrote:
eskimo wrote:
WhatSarahSaid wrote:
The Stig wrote:anyone participating in the online chat today at 3pm eastern?


I'm in it right now. I'll post some highlights after it, if people are interested.

Yes please! I'm in class and on my iPod so I couldn't join y'all. And what did tk ask???


+1. Very curious now.


So far.. the NeedAccess/Fafsa info is required by Feb. 1st if you would like them to consider need in making a merit-based offer to you. There is no need-based aid, however, and you can still be offered merit-based aid w/o submitting the need information(which seems to imply only submit need-based info if you anticipate significant need). Also, one of her answers seemed to possibly imply that there may be some invite process for Rubenstein offers(maybe similar to the Darrow).

My question was essentially "should those who would only attend UChicago with one of the large merit offers bother to submit need-based information"?

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:38 pm

The Stig wrote:
eskimo wrote:
WhatSarahSaid wrote:
The Stig wrote:anyone participating in the online chat today at 3pm eastern?


I'm in it right now. I'll post some highlights after it, if people are interested.

Yes please! I'm in class and on my iPod so I couldn't join y'all. And what did tk ask???


I'll take this down if you don't want it posted but-

<tkgrrett> So even applicants who would only attend with one of the very large merit scholarships should do NeedAccess/Fafsa by February 1st?
<Karla> Well, I would hope that no one is in that situation.
<Karla> We hope that you want to be here and that you are not settling for UCHICAGO
<tkgrrett> By that I meant to say for students in a situation where it is only financially feasible to attend UChicago with one of the very large scholarships

made me :lol:
there was definitely a miscommunication there


Yeah.. did not like that at all. I actually quite like UChicago

User avatar
The Stig
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:39 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Yeah.. did not like that at all. I actually quite like UChicago


it was definitely quite defensive on their end...


Also, she just said that the transcript will probably be posted (but tbh it is a bit of a messy chat room)

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby 4102011 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:40 pm

That sounds like an...interesting chat.

& man that's a quick turnaround! I need to get on my financial aid stuff ASAP ><

User avatar
The Stig
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:43 pm

dulcatis wrote:That sounds like an...interesting chat.

& man that's a quick turnaround! I need to get on my financial aid stuff ASAP ><


I know, right? good thing I am going home this weekend to fill it all out...

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby arism87 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:04 pm

The Stig wrote:
dulcatis wrote:That sounds like an...interesting chat.

& man that's a quick turnaround! I need to get on my financial aid stuff ASAP ><


I know, right? good thing I am going home this weekend to fill it all out...


Me too.. I can't even complete it on my computer, apparently it's too out of date :(

User avatar
ebeth
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:51 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby ebeth » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:46 pm

probably a dumb question..should i submit this need access thing even if i haven't been admitted yet (and may not be)?

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby glitched » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:48 pm

ebeth wrote:probably a dumb question..should i submit this need access thing even if i haven't been admitted yet (and may not be)?

User avatar
Verisimi
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:01 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Verisimi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Hmmm something that I've been idly thinking about in regards to the Rubenstein and the Hamilton and HYS.

There are supposed to be 20 people who get the Rubenstein, but that means that they will have to offer it to more than 20 people (making the obvious assumption that not all people who are offered the award will take it). However, this is their first year with the scholarship so they shouldn't have a great idea about the acceptance rate. Maybe they will model it off of the Hamilton's acceptance rate, but with the Rubenstien that should also go down if some dual Hamilton Rubenstein recipients choose the Rubenstein.

Regardless, the Rubenstein should free up spaces at Harvard. I guess what I'm saying is that even though people like me don't have the numbers for one of those big scholarships, it will make this cycle quite interesting around the acceptance deadlines.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:04 pm

arism87 wrote:
The Stig wrote:
dulcatis wrote:That sounds like an...interesting chat.

& man that's a quick turnaround! I need to get on my financial aid stuff ASAP ><


I know, right? good thing I am going home this weekend to fill it all out...


Me too.. I can't even complete it on my computer, apparently it's too out of date :(

If I can't get my father's info, what do you guys think I should do?

glitched wrote:
ebeth wrote:probably a dumb question..should i submit this need access thing even if i haven't been admitted yet (and may not be)?


My guess is that yes you should, but I would call the admissions office to confirm.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby arism87 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:10 pm

Question for those who have started the FAFSA/can at least see it:

I gather that I have to give parental information, per law school request.

Well, what does that mean? Technically my dad last had custody of me. Do I need my mom's info anyway? She doesn't work/have any assets, really- but she files jointly with my stepdad. Do I need to put HIS info? That would REALLY suck, guy's pretty loaded but I have never seen a dime of it (not complaining, I don't need it and he has 6 kids- but it is what it is, lol)

Help!

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Ghost » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:13 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Kili wrote:
arism87 wrote:Question for those who have started the FAFSA/can at least see it:

I gather that I have to give parental information, per law school request.

Well, what does that mean? Technically my dad last had custody of me. Do I need my mom's info anyway? She doesn't work/have any assets, really- but she files jointly with my stepdad. Do I need to put HIS info? That would REALLY suck, guy's pretty loaded but I have never seen a dime of it (not complaining, I don't need it and he has 6 kids- but it is what it is, lol)

Help!


If one of them claims you as a dependent then that person. I'd call and check to see that you have to if not. You might be able to get away with not putting it in. You will need for it needaccess though :/


all through college I used only one parent's income (whoever claimed me). I think it's crap that we have to use our parents at all. I have been financially independent for a long time now and my mom won't be able to contribute squat. Well, that will probably be reflected anyway, I guess.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:20 pm

I don't know what to do for needaccess. Hell, my father isn't even listed on my birth certificate.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby arism87 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:21 pm

CastleRock wrote:I don't know what to do for needaccess. Hell, my father isn't even listed on my birth certificate.


What does it ask for?

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby arism87 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:22 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
Kili wrote:
arism87 wrote:Question for those who have started the FAFSA/can at least see it:

I gather that I have to give parental information, per law school request.

Well, what does that mean? Technically my dad last had custody of me. Do I need my mom's info anyway? She doesn't work/have any assets, really- but she files jointly with my stepdad. Do I need to put HIS info? That would REALLY suck, guy's pretty loaded but I have never seen a dime of it (not complaining, I don't need it and he has 6 kids- but it is what it is, lol)

Help!


If one of them claims you as a dependent then that person. I'd call and check to see that you have to if not. You might be able to get away with not putting it in. You will need for it needaccess though :/


all through college I used only one parent's income (whoever claimed me). I think it's crap that we have to use our parents at all. I have been financially independent for a long time now and my mom won't be able to contribute squat. Well, that will probably be reflected anyway, I guess.


+1, except for me it WON'T be reflected- my parents could help and aren't going to. I totally understand why ("You won't value money if we give it to you, and if you don't value it you'll never have any!" Ok, ok) But it sucks to be in this situation :(

User avatar
gatorgirl4life
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:06 am

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby gatorgirl4life » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:24 pm

sorry if this is a dumb question, but if we aren't applying for loans should we still fill out FAFSA for merit scholarships? or is that unnecessary?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bleakchimera2, Christinabruin, Leliana, Long shot hero and 12 guests