UChicago 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Knock

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby Knock » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:03 am

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
Knock wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Starting to lose hope... :(

Yuppers

Dear Chicago,

I donate my spot to Habit. I don't think anyone deserves it more.

Knock

Waitlisted. My first non-accept, and it felt a little gut-punchy. That said, posts like this make it feel better.

I think I'll certainly write a Why Chi, because it will come so easily. I wish I had an updated transcript to send them, or that they would accept an additional LOR or resume. But I'll do what I can. I at least thought the waitlist email was done kindly and respectfully.

Noooooo, sorry Habit :(. Definitely write that Why Chi! There's still a lot to play out with CCN & BP, so don't lose hope :). I really wanted you to get into Chicago today though.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:04 am

lisjjen wrote:I was waitlisted today. The letter said

"You are among a select group of students we would like to continue considering for admission."

Is this legit or should I just yank my name off the waitlist?

Hmm, well this is the first real waitlist I've been on (I got waitlisted at a reach for undergrad but all the way in late April or so, and I had already made up my mind by then), but FWIW, it's not like they held back with the rejections (sorry to hear that Sophie! :( ). Along the same lines, I do feel like the waitlist email was composed tactfully.

It's a tough call for me because my numbers put me right in CCN range (and I would not go to N) and I haven't heard back from MVP (and I'm pretty sure my files have been lost at a couple of those). Chicago and Columbia are interchangeably my top choices, but I'm not sure that if they're enough so that I'd wait until the end of the summer to get off a waitlist and with no $, since I think I might be happier committing to DCG with a little bit of money and peace of mind.

Tough call - decisions, decisions...

ilovemulch

Postby ilovemulch » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:05 am

Waitlisted today as well...also first non-accept decision (but certainly not only!) so it was a little sad :(

I'm @ both medians so I knew it could go either way, didn't write a Why Chi...did other people in here?

Also, seems like today was really WL heavy vs. reject heavy, or do you think they did same # for both and maybe it's a reporting bias, with dings less likely to report? Oh speculation...

EDIT: As long as we get out LOCIs in by the deadline they mention, do you think the date we submit them makes any difference (to Chicago and any school for that matter)

SORRY FOR SO MANY Qs!

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:06 am

Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:09 am

Well I feel honored to even be talking about being waitlisted with all of you brilliant people. The only reason I could even put my name in a sentence with UChi is because of a number of potent softs. I've already gotten a lot of non-admit decisions including a rejection from UVA to being waitlisted at schools from UMN to Harvard. I doubt I'll be amongst you for long, but it's a wonderful thing chilling at your altitude for a little while at least.
Last edited by lisjjen on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovemulch

Postby ilovemulch » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:10 am

seancooksey07 wrote:
ilovemulch wrote:Waitlisted today as well...also first non-accept decision (but certainly not only!) so it was a little sad :(

I'm @ both medians so I knew it could go either way, didn't write a Why Chi...did other people in here?

Also, seems like today was really WL heavy vs. reject heavy, or do you think they did same # for both and maybe it's a reporting bias, with dings less likely to report? Oh speculation...

EDIT: As long as we get out LOCIs in by the deadline they mention, do you think the date we submit them makes any difference (to Chicago and any school for that matter)

SORRY FOR SO MANY Qs!

Boo. Not mulch too! :?

Oh yes, sean! Haha I got caught in the crossfire - didn't escape this one! CONGRATS btw...we've been through a lot with the Mich 10/26 club and all! (still havent heard over there, have you?!? Sorry to derail!)

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:12 am

Knock wrote:
Knock wrote:

Yuppers

Dear Chicago,

I donate my spot to Habit. I don't think anyone deserves it more.

Knock

Waitlisted. My first non-accept, and it felt a little gut-punchy. That said, posts like this make it feel better.

I think I'll certainly write a Why Chi, because it will come so easily. I wish I had an updated transcript to send them, or that they would accept an additional LOR or resume. But I'll do what I can. I at least thought the waitlist email was done kindly and respectfully.

Noooooo, sorry Habit :(. Definitely write that Why Chi! There's still a lot to play out with CCN & BP, so don't lose hope :). I really wanted you to get into Chicago today though.

No hope lost. I have already had a great cycle. By the way... Stanford! Fingers crossed for you this week!

7ED

Postby 7ED » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:24 am

Last edited by 7ED on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nomurasan

Postby nomurasan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:15 am

Did anyone waitlisted receive a more personal letter from Anne Perry? Anything about asking to keep in touch?

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:20 am

I just read the email again and I just realize that Chicago only has 190 spots. This partially explains all the high LSAT/GPA WLs.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:25 am

nomurasan wrote:Did anyone waitlisted receive a more personal letter from Anne Perry? Anything about asking to keep in touch?

... What do you mean? Isn't it just a relatively form letter?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:27 am

lisjjen wrote:I was waitlisted today. The letter said

"You are among a select group of students we would like to continue considering for admission."

Is this legit or should I just yank my name off the waitlist?

I don't know how legitimate it actually is, but that is some baller wording for a WL email. Kudos to whoever wrote that. However, the more people who post on TLS about their WL, the more i doubt that the list really is so small and cozy. Plus, 190 spots? That's tiny. Who knows....I can't sleep.....shit.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:28 am

Ragged wrote:I just read the email again and I just realize that Chicago only has 190 spots. This partially explains all the high LSAT/GPA WLs.

Yeah, they have the second smallest 1L class IIRC. Tiny.

nomurasan

Postby nomurasan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:32 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
nomurasan wrote:Did anyone waitlisted receive a more personal letter from Anne Perry? Anything about asking to keep in touch?

Referring to this

http://yfrog.com/0hchicagowaitlisteditedj

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:34 am

nomurasan wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:

Referring to this

very enlightening....thanks for posting this

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:36 am

nomurasan wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:

Referring to this

That reads like a form letter with a personal flavor.

nomurasan

Postby nomurasan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:39 am

r6_philly wrote:
nomurasan wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:

Referring to this

That reads like a form letter with a personal flavor.

Found it here, fwiw

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70060&start=75

nomurasan

Postby nomurasan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:43 am

Additionally, did anyone receive a waitlist letter with Anne Perry's @uchicago.edu address on it?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:45 am

nomurasan wrote:Additionally, did anyone receive a waitlist letter with Anne Perry's @uchicago.edu address on it?

Yes, it's in her signature. It isn't in yours?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:46 am

nomurasan wrote:Additionally, did anyone receive a waitlist letter with Anne Perry's @uchicago.edu address on it?

nope, which means i should just withdraw now. p.s. i think it's ann :) spelling = pet peeve!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:48 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:

nope, which means i should just withdraw now. p.s. i think it's ann :) spelling = pet peeve!

See above - you don't have her address in the signature?

nomurasan

Postby nomurasan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:51 am

r6_philly wrote:

I have her email address and what looks like a proper signature minus the actual handwriting

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:52 am

nomurasan wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I have her email address and what looks like a proper signature minus the actual handwriting

So then what is the significance of a letter with her email in the body of the letter (if it is already in the signature)?

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:54 am

r6_philly wrote:
nomurasan wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

So then what is the significance of a letter with her email in the body of the letter (if it is already in the signature)?

It means you are more likely to get in... :roll:

nomurasan

Postby nomurasan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:58 am

Judging by the results of the last few years, the "intimacy" of the letter is a subtle way of indicating your rank in the WL

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”