UChicago 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bkhopeful

Re: UChicago 2011

Postby bkhopeful » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:19 pm

bkhopeful wrote:
CastleRock wrote:I just got in via email.

me too. never got a call, but they may have tried my cell, which gets no reception in my office. yay!

JK, a voicemail from Dean Perry just popped up on my cell. (lest i make ppl believe the email can come w/o the call)

lynnford

Postby lynnford » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Waitlisted via email. Bummed. Congrats to everyone accepted!

linda90

Postby linda90 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:27 pm

lynnford wrote:Waitlisted via email. Bummed. Congrats to everyone accepted!

I'm on the same boat. Do anyone know how many people they waitlisted in previous years?

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:29 pm

legalpad11 wrote:
glitched wrote:Is anyone 1/7 without any news whatsoever? Haha no wl no ding no admit no "hello hey how you doing? Wanna grab dinner? No? How about some coffee then? Cool. Meet at starbucks at 7! Oh you don't like starbucks? Oh okay. coffee bean it is. see you soon!" ? Lol

I'm in the same boat! UR 12/23, 12/27, and now 1/7. Is no news good news? haha

Count me in this little club. Same dates too! Anyone else care to join?

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:29 pm

softsgalore wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
softsgalore wrote:Waitlisted! I'm psyched about this, I COMPLETELY expected a ding, holy shit!

ME TOO! and we both got mich rejections! were you expecting that???? cuz i wasn't. PM me with your stats!

This was in NO WAY how I expected my day to go -- I expected it the other way around, or maybe even a Michigan acceptance given my PS...I can't help but wonder if my PS was judged in a very personally negative way and it freaks me out. OTOH, I fell in love with U of Chicago completely when I visited it, so please, everyone on the waitlist, WITHDRAW YOUR APP. I am longing to sit in that building again. I figure I'll never get off the waitlist, but...but...oh, the dream. I even have a "Why Chicago?" all written from before I found out Chicago didn't like those, so I never sent it. With a few minor tweaks and edits, I can keep the dream alive.

I will say that even a Chicago acceptance (due to their crappy LRAP) would be hard to think about if I was able to get full tuition somewhere, but Illinois only gave me 3/4 and I have no way to know what the increases would be (and it doesn't scale with the increases). I've lived in crappy enough circumstances that being able to go for free would be highly appealing and Chicago is a bit scary.

Haha a little bit of a rando tangent, but interesting.Good luck!

quetzal_bird

Postby quetzal_bird » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Shloime wrote:
legalpad11 wrote:
glitched wrote:Is anyone 1/7 without any news whatsoever? Haha no wl no ding no admit no "hello hey how you doing? Wanna grab dinner? No? How about some coffee then? Cool. Meet at starbucks at 7! Oh you don't like starbucks? Oh okay. coffee bean it is. see you soon!" ? Lol

I'm in the same boat! UR 12/23, 12/27, and now 1/7. Is no news good news? haha

Count me in this little club. Same dates too! Anyone else care to join?

I'm in

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:36 pm

Waitlist via e-mail 3.5/172

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:36 pm

C-H . . . Chicago!
C-H . . . Chicago!
C-H . . . Chicago!
What is C H for?

METHANE!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:45 pm

I got the WL email while sitting around in Penn Law. I guess I will be withdrawing, not really surprised.

Congrats to all the admits and good luck to everyone willing to ride it out!

reversejinx

Postby reversejinx » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:47 pm

I was literally sick to my stomach when I got the WL email. Then I went and took a shit, and now I feel a lot better. Just a suggestion to all those bummed about getting WL.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:48 pm

r6_philly wrote:I got the WL email while sitting around in Penn Law. I guess I will be withdrawing, not really surprised.

Crazy. I was pulling for you and thought you'd be in for sure. No chance you'd try to get in off the WL?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Emma. wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I got the WL email while sitting around in Penn Law. I guess I will be withdrawing, not really surprised.

Crazy. I was pulling for you and thought you'd be in for sure. No chance you'd try to get in off the WL?

:( I thought I had a fighting chance. I don't think I can turn down Penn and Berkeley for Chicago at sticker so riding the WL is out for me.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Emma. wrote:

:( I thought I had a fighting chance. I don't think I can turn down Penn and Berkeley for Chicago at sticker so riding the WL is out for me.

I bet you'd have a good shot at getting in, but you have a couple great options and you'll probably have more by the time the cycle is over. Congrats man. Sorry not to have you at UChi next year though.

toptwin

Postby toptwin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:57 pm

Rejected via email. I expected it

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:58 pm

Emma. wrote:I bet you'd have a good shot at getting in, but you have a couple great options and you'll probably have more by the time the cycle is over. Congrats man. Sorry not to have you at UChi next year though.

Emma, can you tell us about the WL and what you remember from last cycle? Do people get off of it? The prospects on LSN look really sad tbh... there weren't any WL->Acceptances IIRC. Do you remember anything timing-wise as well - like, when do they start pulling from it (if they do)?

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:01 pm

toptwin wrote:Rejected via email. I expected it

Same. 8)

kdubb513

Postby kdubb513 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:05 pm

In at CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Email just now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must be dreaming

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:10 pm

kazu wrote:
Emma. wrote:I bet you'd have a good shot at getting in, but you have a couple great options and you'll probably have more by the time the cycle is over. Congrats man. Sorry not to have you at UChi next year though.

Emma, can you tell us about the WL and what you remember from last cycle? Do people get off of it? The prospects on LSN look really sad tbh... there weren't any WL->Acceptances IIRC. Do you remember anything timing-wise as well - like, when do they start pulling from it (if they do)?

Sorry, I didn't really keep track of that last year. Last year, though, we ended up overenrolled by something like 15 people, so I'd imagine they are trying to be really cautious this year. It could be that even if no one got in off the WL last year (which could be completely wrong) they could admit a bunch this year.

I do know that they want to admit people that really want to be at UChi, so if you are interested I'd definitely recommend sending in a good "Why UChi?" essay.

culinaryorlawschool

Postby culinaryorlawschool » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Got waitlist email, stats above 75ths. I wrote them back right away with a terse email saying I don't want to remain on WL. I don't play games and I don't want to be strung along. Never thought law school admissions would resemble dating this much.

pride09

Postby pride09 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 pm

I bet they are waitlisting people with very high numbers to protect their yield. No reason to accept lots of people who are just going to jump to YHS when those acceptances come--which is why they ask for a Why Chicago to see who is really serious and not using them as a back up.

At least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:32 pm

pride09 wrote:I bet they are waitlisting people with very high numbers to protect their yield. No reason to accept lots of people who are just going to jump to YHS when those acceptances come--which is why they ask for a Why Chicago to see who is really serious and not using them as a back up.

they ask for a why Chicago? hrmmm

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:33 pm

Emma. wrote:
kazu wrote:

Sorry, I didn't really keep track of that last year. Last year, though, we ended up overenrolled by something like 15 people, so I'd imagine they are trying to be really cautious this year. It could be that even if no one got in off the WL last year (which could be completely wrong) they could admit a bunch this year.

I do know that they want to admit people that really want to be at UChi, so if you are interested I'd definitely recommend sending in a good "Why UChi?" essay.

I know one person off the WL last year (well, I dont know him but he pmed me when I was trying to figure out my cycle after my June score came in) who wrote an excellent Why Chi. Though that's just one person, so who knows, esp since they overenrolled last year. I dont think you can gain any knowledge on prior years WL info. It really depends on their yield for that particular cycle.

Good luck to everyone on the WL and congrats to all those in!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Well my goals are so focused, maybe it doesn't really scream "Chicago" since I am a little weak on the numbers anyway. I am really happy where I am, was just caught up in this thread for the fun and excitement of it :D

There are plenty of great personalities going to Chicago, you guys are going to have a wonderful 1L class. I will find my seat in another town 8)

pride09

Postby pride09 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:39 pm

I got waitlisted, which was before my LSAT retake scores were out (I'm hoping that differentiates me from the usual waitlist blackhole). I was told the one thing they would add to my file was a Why Chicago essay if I sent it in by the end of January.
Last edited by pride09 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swfangirl

Postby swfangirl » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:43 pm

pride09 wrote:I bet they are waitlisting people with very high numbers to protect their yield. No reason to accept lots of people who are just going to jump to YHS when those acceptances come--which is why they ask for a Why Chicago to see who is really serious and not using them as a back up.

I'm not under the impression that UChi YP's that heavily. UVa is famous for it, though.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”