UChicago 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
re-applicant

Bronze

Re: UChicago 2011

Post by re-applicant » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:32 pm

There's 1.5 hours until close, and I suppose if today was they day they'd be calling people by now. So I guess tomorrow's it?

Trustbuster

Bronze

Post by Trustbuster » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:33 pm

re-applicant wrote:There's 1.5 hours until close, and I suppose if today was they day they'd be calling people by now. So I guess tomorrow's it?
And then the next day. and the next. and the next. and the...

jdstl

Bronze

Post by jdstl » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:40 pm

Trustbuster wrote:
re-applicant wrote:There's 1.5 hours until close, and I suppose if today was they day they'd be calling people by now. So I guess tomorrow's it?
And then the next day. and the next. and the next. and the...
Rats.

EDIT: I'm predicting (based on their twittered "update" coming soon) that around closing time today they will announce that calls will begin tomorrow.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Has anyone else ITT noticed that we seem to have a lot of people who are above both medians that LOVE Chicago? Makes me a bit nervous considering there are so few seats and I am a splitter. Chicago is so small it seems like it will fill up with TLSers who have super strong numbers.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:59 pm

bdubs wrote:Has anyone else ITT noticed that we seem to have a lot of people who are above both medians that LOVE Chicago? Makes me a bit nervous considering there are so few seats and I am a splitter. Chicago is so small it seems like it will fill up with TLSers who have super strong numbers.
Eh, no reason to get discouraged yet. I'm a reverse splitter but I'm not ruling it out. They admitted almost 800 people last year; that's a lot than our grossly unrepresentative sample can fill up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SentinelsOfEvil

Bronze

Post by SentinelsOfEvil » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:00 pm

trudat15 wrote:
Fresh wrote:
trudat15 wrote:This reminds me of the ED thread the Friday before we start getting calls. Some people moved dates, some didnt, and didnt seem to have any correlation to in/out. No one knows anything so just relax and go crazy when you get the 773 area code on your phone. Good luck!
"No one knows anything so just go crazy and relax when you get the 773 area code on your phone."

FTFY
Lol. Thanks for that. Though you probably dont have to go crazy at all anymore and can relax all the way through to your Rubenstein offer.
I envy you people who get a phone call. I am in Singapore and I'm quite sure that they don't call internationally

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:07 pm

bdubs wrote:Has anyone else ITT noticed that we seem to have a lot of people who are above both medians that LOVE Chicago? Makes me a bit nervous considering there are so few seats and I am a splitter. Chicago is so small it seems like it will fill up with TLSers who have super strong numbers.
Yeah I'm a bit discouraged. I got deferred NYU ED, and all these people with both numbers strong are loving Chicago...not sure how I'd end up anywhere above the waitlist.

SirWilliam1022

Bronze

Post by SirWilliam1022 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:23 pm

Good news and bad news

The good news is that the December LSAT takers got their score today which means that we should all be hearing back in the next couple of days (assuming that has been what the admissions offices were waiting for in regards to regular decisions).

The bad news is that it was the most generous curve ever with a -14 for a 170 and a -30 for a 160. This would suggest that there were as many, if not more, LSAT takers this December than last December. This suggests a more challenging admit pool and an increased likelihood for waitlists and holds while admissions offices sort out how many students will indeed be applying this January. This I find distressing.

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:27 pm

SirWilliam1022 wrote:Good news and bad news

The good news is that the December LSAT takers got their score today which means that we should all be hearing back in the next couple of days (assuming that has been what the admissions offices were waiting for in regards to regular decisions).

The bad news is that it was the most generous curve ever with a -14 for a 170 and a -30 for a 160. This would suggest that there were as many, if not more, LSAT takers this December than last December. This suggests a more challenging admit pool and an increased likelihood for waitlists and holds while admissions offices sort out how many students will indeed be applying this January. This I find distressing.
I'm not sure if that's necessarily bad news. -14 and -28 last december (so almost the same). Chicago's LSAT numbers went down even with the december test last year being generous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:30 pm

Lol.. here we go.. Want to explain exactly how the bolded is suggested??

fletchcon

New

Post by fletchcon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Wait, how does a generous curve mean any of the above? Don't they calculate the curve ahead of time based on the results from when the questions were in the experimental section. And I assume they calculate that curve with a view to keeping the percentiles pretty steady. So all it means is that the questions were tougher/people have gotten dumber

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:35 pm

fletchcon wrote:

Wait, how does a generous curve mean any of the above? Don't they calculate the curve ahead of time based on the results from when the questions were in the experimental section. And I assume they calculate that curve with a view to keeping the percentiles pretty steady. So all it means is that the questions were tougher/people have gotten dumber
I think he was suggesting that because it is a bigger pool that would make the average taker dumber which is a bit of a fallacy. I think it's just as likely that the test was harder and the #s went down or stayed steady.

123xalady

Bronze

Post by 123xalady » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:36 pm

-14??? Noooooooooo

edit: i know the generous curve doesn't really mean anything, but I'm tired of waiting and I'm losing my miiiind

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:40 pm

Lol this comes up after every single exam.

LSAT Equating:
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/ls ... -lsac.html

mistermister

Bronze

Post by mistermister » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:42 pm

from twitter:

# RD update 2: We review and release decisions in groups in date order. Thanks for your patience Sept. and Oct. files. Will post update soon.

# RD update 1: Comm. working hard to finalize a big group of decisions, including Sept., Oct., and Nov. completed files, hopefully this week.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:46 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Lol this comes up after every single exam.

LSAT Equating:
I knew that they didn't use a strict curve, but this makes it seem as though they let a group of psychologists score every LSAT.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:52 pm

bdubs wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Lol this comes up after every single exam.

LSAT Equating:
I knew that they didn't use a strict curve, but this makes it seem as though they let a group of psychologists score every LSAT.
That pretty much is how they do it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:54 pm

mistermister wrote:from twitter:

# RD update 2: We review and release decisions in groups in date order. Thanks for your patience Sept. and Oct. files. Will post update soon.

# RD update 1: Comm. working hard to finalize a big group of decisions, including Sept., Oct., and Nov. completed files, hopefully this week.
:shock:

:roll:

SirWilliam1022

Bronze

Post by SirWilliam1022 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Yes, larger test pools traditionally mean an easier curve. No, this is not a universal truth, but only that there is a strong correlation. The other reason to suggest a larger pool would be that it took LSAC an extra 3 days compared to tradition (26 days as opposed to the median 23 days... mean is closer to 21). That said, it certainly could have been a tougher exam, they could have changed the percentiles that corresponded with scores (as I think they did this time), and the extra holiday between releasing tests (and snow storms) may explain the delay. Still, definitely not what you were hoping to see if you wanted a smaller December pool (as all of us who are still waiting should want). Hope that helps clear up any ambiguities... the Tea Leafs are not reassuring at this point, but obviously this isn't confirmed.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:02 pm

SirWilliam1022 wrote:Yes, larger test pools traditionally mean an easier curve. No, this is not a universal truth, but only that there is a strong correlation. The other reason to suggest a larger pool would be that it took LSAC an extra 3 days compared to tradition (26 days as opposed to the median 23 days... mean is closer to 21). That said, it certainly could have been a tougher exam, they could have changed the percentiles that corresponded with scores (as I think they did this time), and the extra holiday between releasing tests (and snow storms) may explain the delay. Still, definitely not what you were hoping to see if you wanted a smaller December pool (as all of us who are still waiting should want). Hope that helps clear up any ambiguities... the Tea Leafs are not reassuring at this point, but obviously this isn't confirmed.
:shock:

:roll:

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:07 pm

What? Like someone else said, -14 was the same curve as last December, and Chicago's median went down.
Also, there's no evidence that there's a larger test pool this year. In fact, there's more evidence (from October's stats) that the number of test takers may be heading back down. Please stop your rampant speculation unless you have ANYTHING to back it up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:10 pm

The curve has nothing to do with the size of the test pool. It's been calculated months in advance (possibly even years in some cases).

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:11 pm

UChicagoLawApps UChicagoLawAdmission
RD update 3: Comm. meeting tomorrow. We will start releasing decisions Monday.
51 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply
MONDAY!!!!

dbrddr

Bronze

Post by dbrddr » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:12 pm

the liars, lol

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:12 pm

The Stig wrote:
UChicagoLawApps UChicagoLawAdmission
RD update 3: Comm. meeting tomorrow. We will start releasing decisions Monday.
51 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply
MONDAY!!!!
Gah! I knew they were behind schedule and all this 'later in the week' business was crap.

Mondayyyyyyyy

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”