UChicago 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
s0ph1e2007

Silver

Re: UChicago 2011

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:20 pm

daisyduke wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:Thanks guys. I was a little upset.
Was I the only one to get straight up rejected? :oops:
That is what's really freaking me out...
No, no There were quite a few back a few pages.
Okay, so I shouldn't be too embarrassed. Thanks guys. I will try to not give up hope on all my other schools.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:23 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
pride09 wrote:I bet they are waitlisting people with very high numbers to protect their yield. No reason to accept lots of people who are just going to jump to YHS when those acceptances come--which is why they ask for a Why Chicago to see who is really serious and not using them as a back up.

At least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself.
they ask for a why Chicago? hrmmm
yes, they do
I'm not seeing this on the application =/ Hope it doesn't kill my chances at Chi.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:25 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
pride09 wrote:I bet they are waitlisting people with very high numbers to protect their yield. No reason to accept lots of people who are just going to jump to YHS when those acceptances come--which is why they ask for a Why Chicago to see who is really serious and not using them as a back up.

At least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself.
they ask for a why Chicago? hrmmm
yes, they do
I'm not seeing this on the application =/ Hope it doesn't kill my chances at Chi.
I've never heard this.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:25 pm

I think they mean the "Why Chicago" requested by the WL email.

pride09

New

Post by pride09 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:26 pm

It's not required but the waitlist email said it was an option I could do at that point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:26 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:26 pm

Although it's also stated (I seem to recall) in the TLS profile of Chicago that they are strongly considering requiring a Why Chicago as part of the app, Penn-style (from what I understand).

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:28 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

texaskk

Bronze

Post by texaskk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:28 pm

Got the acceptance call today! Congratulations to everyone and best of luck to those still waiting!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:30 pm

seancooksey07 wrote:
Pretty sure they mean for those on the WL. They were invited to send in a Why Chicago essay and updated grades toshow that they will attend Chicago so they can be accepted supplement their applications.
oh okay, that makes sense.
mr_toad wrote:Although it's also stated (I seem to recall) in the TLS profile of Chicago that they are strongly considering requiring a Why Chicago as part of the app, Penn-style (from what I understand).
Ah, didn't send one to Penn and managed to get in. Well, I'll gladly send one if I get WL'd! Relieved to see I didn't miss something in the process.

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:30 pm

seancooksey07 wrote:
mr_toad wrote:Although it's also stated (I seem to recall) in the TLS profile of Chicago that they are strongly considering requiring a Why Chicago as part of the app, Penn-style (from what I understand).
True. But then again, I also remember from the Chicago website back when I applied that they DO NOT want any extra essays in the original application.
thats what anne ivey (former Uchicago dean) recommends in her book as well

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:34 pm

Not saying they're required, just saying, well, here's the quote:

The school doesn’t ask for any optional essays or materials besides a resume. Chicago Dean of Admissions Ann Perry advised students not to send in information that is not requested, but a “Why Chicago?” essay or something of the like can be an asset. She said:

It’s fine if they want [to send in an extra essay] — they can add it to their personal statement. I am a fan of addendums. If they feel there’s something they really want the admissions committee to know that already isn’t in their application in another way, addendums work in that way. Sometimes I think about going to a Why Chicago question; I haven’t yet, though.
(http://www.top-law-schools.com/chicago-law-school.html)

I didn't do it myself. [edit: it's very ambiguously worded, imho]

hemm

Bronze

Post by hemm » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:42 pm

lshamlet wrote:I'm above both 75ths too and got WLed, and I've heard nothing from Berk or Mich despite applying in Oct/Nov. I'm beginning to get really nervous about my prospects here, haha. Maybe the "numbers game" mantra needs revision.
Same here. I've looked over my apps and they're free of typos and mistakes; maybe a bad LOR is sinking me or something. LSP so far has been way too optimistic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SirWilliam1022

Bronze

Post by SirWilliam1022 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 pm

No, I was rejected straight up as well with a 174 and a 3.65 GPA. Even though my GPA was a little bit higher I would still be a splitter at Chi. and my personal statement for Chi. was admittedly a little weak because I was working over 100 hour weeks on campaigns at that time (I should have just held back a couple of weeks, but I was more concerned with timeliness and didn't realize how brain dead I was until I looked back at the application later). Anyhow... don't take it to heart and you have some remarkable acceptances with tons of scholly money. Don't sweat it dude.
s0ph1e2007 wrote:
daisyduke wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:Thanks guys. I was a little upset.
Was I the only one to get straight up rejected? :oops:
That is what's really freaking me out...
No, no There were quite a few back a few pages.
Okay, so I shouldn't be too embarrassed. Thanks guys. I will try to not give up hope on all my other schools.

SirWilliam1022

Bronze

Post by SirWilliam1022 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:49 pm

Honestly what happens isn't bad LORs that say something nasty as opposed to just weak LORs... professors and employers shouldn't suggest they can do a LOR for you if they are going to form letter it. However, I applied all over the map and tried a couple different mixes on what letters I would have sent out so in the long run feel well prepared for the cycle... in the short term... =C Always hate rejections.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:52 pm

SirWilliam1022 wrote:Honestly what happens isn't bad LORs that say something nasty as opposed to just weak LORs... professors and employers shouldn't suggest they can do a LOR for you if they are going to form letter it. However, I applied all over the map and tried a couple different mixes on what letters I would have sent out so in the long run feel well prepared for the cycle... in the short term... =C Always hate rejections.
I'm very curious to know what my LORs said..I may ask all my writers for a copy in the end. One actually already offered to send me the one she wrote. This admissions is quite a process.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:54 pm

i am surprised you got rejected sophie. what happened to the days when 3.4/179 URMs got into HYS easily?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SirWilliam1022

Bronze

Post by SirWilliam1022 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:56 pm

Honestly even though you are not supposed to see it I would suggest getting a glance unless you are absolutely certain. I had somebody I trusted pretty well that I had done extensive work with do a LOR for me for a White House Internship and she form lettered it. Sort of made me sick when I saw it. Fortunately, I did see the other two letters and they were beyond phenomenal. If you got into the schools that were your target, or better yet, your reach schools then go give you recommenders a hug and buy them chocolates... they so very well could have been the difference.

oscodasa

Bronze

Post by oscodasa » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:58 pm

I was rejected today as well. Submitted 11/3, complete 11/5, UR sometime early Dec, 1/4 & 1/7.

Chicago was a pretty big reach for me and I didn't have much invested in it so it's neither surprising nor upsetting - although it clearly would have been nice to be accepted.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

SirWilliam1022

Bronze

Post by SirWilliam1022 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:59 pm

I think from this we can ascertain that the applicant pool is widening up after the December LSAT if they are getting so picky. They need to be careful though... so many of the applicants they admitted this surge will dump them like a cheerleader dumping the kid with glasses right before prom. So many of those kids will get offer from the rest of the T-6 and scholarships throughout the T-14 that they may not hang around. Also, with the LSAT coming through later than ever nobody knows just how many applicants there will be or when they will apply. Unchartered territory = foolish to not waitlist somebody like Sophie... IMO
$1.99 wrote:i am surprised you got rejected sophie. what happened to the days when 3.4/179 URMs got into HYS easily?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:00 pm

SirWilliam1022 wrote:Honestly even though you are not supposed to see it I would suggest getting a glance unless you are absolutely certain. I had somebody I trusted pretty well that I had done extensive work with do a LOR for me for a White House Internship and she form lettered it. Sort of made me sick when I saw it. Fortunately, I did see the other two letters and they were beyond phenomenal. If you got into the schools that were your target, or better yet, your reach schools then go give you recommenders a hug and buy them chocolates... they so very well could have been the difference.
You're not "not supposed to see it" but regardless, a lot of applicants don't have that luxury anyway.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SirWilliam1022

Bronze

Post by SirWilliam1022 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:02 pm

Eski... LSAC actually has a note in which you are asked to give up the right to see the LOR. They don't say that you have to accept that option, but only that it is looked upon more favorably if you do. Thus, assuming like most applicants that choice was selected you quite honestly aren't supposed to see it.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:03 pm

eskimo wrote:
SirWilliam1022 wrote:Honestly even though you are not supposed to see it I would suggest getting a glance unless you are absolutely certain. I had somebody I trusted pretty well that I had done extensive work with do a LOR for me for a White House Internship and she form lettered it. Sort of made me sick when I saw it. Fortunately, I did see the other two letters and they were beyond phenomenal. If you got into the schools that were your target, or better yet, your reach schools then go give you recommenders a hug and buy them chocolates... they so very well could have been the difference.
You're not "not supposed to see it" but regardless, a lot of applicants don't have that luxury anyway.
yeah I don't see why it would matter at all if I saw them after apps have been sent and if my wonderful writers would be willing to share, why not? If they wrote form, they wrote form, still probably has some nice things about me in it :D

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:04 pm

SirWilliam1022 wrote:Eski... LSAC actually has a note in which you are asked to give up the right to see the LOR. They don't say that you have to accept that option, but only that it is looked upon more favorably if you do. Thus, assuming like most applicants that choice was selected you quite honestly aren't supposed to see it.
ah, thought that was just for before the cycle.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:04 pm

SirWilliam1022 wrote:I think from this we can ascertain that the applicant pool is widening up after the December LSAT if they are getting so picky. They need to be careful though... so many of the applicants they admitted this surge will dump them like a cheerleader dumping the kid with glasses right before prom. So many of those kids will get offer from the rest of the T-6 and scholarships throughout the T-14 that they may not hang around. Also, with the LSAT coming through later than ever nobody knows just how many applicants there will be or when they will apply. Unchartered territory = foolish to not waitlist somebody like Sophie... IMO
$1.99 wrote:i am surprised you got rejected sophie. what happened to the days when 3.4/179 URMs got into HYS easily?
I think they shouldn't have rejected me too haha
I'll be okay. I'm remembering how great Michigan is :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”