UChicago 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BeachedBrit

Bronze

Re: UChicago 2011

Post by BeachedBrit » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:46 pm

ED: You're guaranteed to hear back either In/WL/Ding by Dec 31 but i'd imagine they're like most admissions offices and close before christmas until after new years which makes me think no later than 23rdish of December.

Also ED and went under review today: 11/22.

For whatever reason after no change since early november I went under review at 3 of 9 schools today. A little weird.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:51 pm

deepdishpizza wrote:Any word on when EDers hear back? I couldn't tell from the spreadsheet who was ED and who was RD, although most dates seem to be concentrated around February (which I assume is RD).

I saw one "acceptance" date on 12/18, but a lot more acceptances in mid-January. Thoughts?
That one was probably me not paying very much attention and is probably an EDer. I tried to make the spreadsheets just RD, but sometimes I was just going so fast I didn't notice.

deepdishpizza

New

Post by deepdishpizza » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:27 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:ED: You're guaranteed to hear back either In/WL/Ding by Dec 31 but i'd imagine they're like most admissions offices and close before christmas until after new years which makes me think no later than 23rdish of December.

For whatever reason after no change since early november I went under review at 3 of 9 schools today. A little weird.
Awesome, thank you!

supahstahxruv

Bronze

Post by supahstahxruv » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:52 pm

RD submitted 10/25 finallyyy UR!

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:53 pm

supahstahxruv wrote:RD submitted 10/25 finallyyy UR!
Ahh me too!

Super stoked...Submitted 10/28.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MPeterson

Bronze

Post by MPeterson » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:11 pm

UR as of today, too! Submitted around the same time. But still waiting 'til Feb. for a decision...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:14 pm

Just submitted. 168/>3.9

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:25 pm

Good luck! I think I am going to forget that I applied here and just hope for a really nice surprise in 3-4 months. :D stalking this thread is probably going to be the most futile.

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:10 pm

MPeterson wrote:
UR as of today, too! Submitted around the same time. But still waiting 'til Feb. for a decision...
February 4th is circled in red on my calendar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:32 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:ED: You're guaranteed to hear back either In/WL/Ding by Dec 31 but i'd imagine they're like most admissions offices and close before christmas until after new years which makes me think no later than 23rdish of December.

Me too! Nothing had happened with any of my apps for weeks. Today, an acceptance (Mich) and two status changes to UR, including Chicago. Yayyy.

DaveBear07

Bronze

Post by DaveBear07 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:49 am

So, 20 Rubenstein's this cycle......

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:32 am

DaveBear07 wrote:So, 20 Rubenstein's this cycle......
Wow... not bad.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:41 am

DaveBear07 wrote:So, 20 Rubenstein's this cycle......
If only I had the numbers to even think about Rubensteins and Hamiltons and whatnot. I'm just hoping I get in at all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rsg87

New

Post by rsg87 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:01 am

Hey guys thought I would stop by and share my story from last year. I applied some time in September and got a phone call a few days after Christmas saying I got in. I remember financial aid didn't come til much later like March. For financial aid, they really want to know that you will matriculate if they are giving you money especially if you don't have HYS numbers. I really have no insight into what they are going to do with the new scholarships though. I know my class overmatriculated, but the dean said they still plan to try and keep the number of enrolled students at 190 each class give or take 5 students.

Also I am really enjoying school here. The whole "where fun goes to die" is complete crap. Just like any other school there are people who like to go out and go to bar review and there are people who don't. Many times during the week people don't feel like going out and just go out for dinner or have people over to watch a movie. You can go out as much as you want especially during the early part of the quarter if you use your time wisely. I can also attest to people sharing notes and helping one another on topics that they might not understand. I am not finding it competitive at all. Everyone here seems of the persuasion that we are all in the same boat and have no clue what it actually means to do well on a law school exam.

For the international students, I would not worry at all. People here really tend to get to want to know you regardless of where you come from. The Dean here really stresses how no idea is off limits and you have to respect everyone. Also there is a good chance that an LLM is probably from the same country you are or someone in your class speaks your native language.

obrienfa

Bronze

Post by obrienfa » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:03 pm

rsg87 wrote:Hey guys thought I would stop by and share my story from last year. I applied some time in September and got a phone call a few days after Christmas saying I got in. I remember financial aid didn't come til much later like March. For financial aid, they really want to know that you will matriculate if they are giving you money especially if you don't have HYS numbers. I really have no insight into what they are going to do with the new scholarships though. I know my class overmatriculated, but the dean said they still plan to try and keep the number of enrolled students at 190 each class give or take 5 students.

Also I am really enjoying school here. The whole "where fun goes to die" is complete crap. Just like any other school there are people who like to go out and go to bar review and there are people who don't. Many times during the week people don't feel like going out and just go out for dinner or have people over to watch a movie. You can go out as much as you want especially during the early part of the quarter if you use your time wisely. I can also attest to people sharing notes and helping one another on topics that they might not understand. I am not finding it competitive at all. Everyone here seems of the persuasion that we are all in the same boat and have no clue what it actually means to do well on a law school exam.

For the international students, I would not worry at all. People here really tend to get to want to know you regardless of where you come from. The Dean here really stresses how no idea is off limits and you have to respect everyone. Also there is a good chance that an LLM is probably from the same country you are or someone in your class speaks your native language.
Thanks for posting this! Did you apply ED or RD?

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:50 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:11 pm

eskimo wrote:For those who haven't seen it, dulcatis made a nice google spreadsheet to look at when we'll hear back!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... hcYN#gid=0

My money's on February 4th!
My money's on me getting waitlisted March 9th.

Wow that's a long wait. :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rsg87

New

Post by rsg87 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:26 pm

obrienfa wrote:
rsg87 wrote:Hey guys thought I would stop by and share my story from last year. I applied some time in September and got a phone call a few days after Christmas saying I got in. I remember financial aid didn't come til much later like March. For financial aid, they really want to know that you will matriculate if they are giving you money especially if you don't have HYS numbers. I really have no insight into what they are going to do with the new scholarships though. I know my class overmatriculated, but the dean said they still plan to try and keep the number of enrolled students at 190 each class give or take 5 students.

Thanks for posting this! Did you apply ED or RD?
I applied RD. Also for financial aid this site http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective ... ialaid/faq should answer most of your questions and it is nice to get your fafsa and what not out of the way. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Uchicago.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:08 pm

deepdishpizza wrote:Any word on when EDers hear back? I couldn't tell from the spreadsheet who was ED and who was RD, although most dates seem to be concentrated around February (which I assume is RD).

I saw one "acceptance" date on 12/18, but a lot more acceptances in mid-January. Thoughts?
According to LSN, last year's ED acceptances all heard on 12/18 (Friday). I would imagine acceptances will hear around then 12/17 this year?

I think Dings/WL heard back only shortly thereafter.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:35 pm

trudat15 wrote:

According to LSN, last year's ED acceptances all heard on 12/18 (Friday). I would imagine acceptances will hear around then 12/17 this year?

I don't know if you have a Twitter, but I think last year they sent out a notice when they were about to start calling accepted applicants. Might be useful to keep tabs on it just in case they have updates this year! http://twitter.com/uchicagolawapps

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:32 pm

eskimo wrote:
trudat15 wrote:

I don't know if you have a Twitter, but I think last year they sent out a notice when they were about to start calling accepted applicants. Might be useful to keep tabs on it just in case they have updates this year! http://twitter.com/uchicagolawapps
Wow, that's really some clear communication. I wish other schools had such active updates as well. It would just be such a relief to see "RD applicants: Still reading RD files too, of course. Currently reading files completed before and up to around mid-October" instead of neurotically promulgating any apparent patterns of complete dates, blank checkers, and the like.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:18 am

Yeah, they really impress me with the usefulness of what they post. I don't mind that some schools take longer to make decisions, but I sincerely appreciate that they keep us updated along the way. If you go back to December last year, they even say when they're going to start making ED and RD calls a little in advance.

SERIOUSLY -- I LOVE YOU, CHICAGO. <3

thedude221

Bronze

Post by thedude221 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:02 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
eskimo wrote:
trudat15 wrote:

Wow, that's really some clear communication. I wish other schools had such active updates as well. It would just be such a relief to see "RD applicants: Still reading RD files too, of course. Currently reading files completed before and up to around mid-October" instead of neurotically promulgating any apparent patterns of complete dates, blank checkers, and the like.
Based off of the early decision acceptances on law school numbers with an ED of 3.96/169 does it seem like I have a pretty good shot?

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:42 pm

thedude221 wrote:
Based off of the early decision acceptances on law school numbers with an ED of 3.96/169 does it seem like I have a pretty good shot?
How prominent is your UG?

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:54 pm

Weird that a city community college like UChicago would care about UG prestige.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”