Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby Dany » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:36 pm

hellojd wrote:I just sent in the scholarship app (merit only), but looks like that info won't come until January if I read correctly.


At what income level should you apply for need-based also? My family isn't what I'd consider poor, but we don't make a lot, either. I didn't have to fill out financial aid stuff for UG so I'm not sure how it all works.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:53 pm

eskimo wrote:
hellojd wrote:I just sent in the scholarship app (merit only), but looks like that info won't come until January if I read correctly.


At what income level should you apply for need-based also? My family isn't what I'd consider poor, but we don't make a lot, either. I didn't have to fill out financial aid stuff for UG so I'm not sure how it all works.

Duke law uses fafsa and with that it depends on a few things. Your family income is subject to some kind of income allowance depending on how many members and I think how many in college. Above that level a certain percentage goes toward the estimated family contribution. Students also get an allowance of like $3000 and above that u are expected to contribute 50% of earnings/savings into the efc. Not really sure how law schools really use the efc though. For reference, my family income is usually 40-50k and my efc usually hovers around 2-3k I think. I would say with the high cost of law school even incomes in the 75-100k range may yield something.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:01 pm

Do you happen to know what do law school do with your own personal income since you are the one going to school? I am the only wage earner in my family, take away my half of my income and my EFC is 0. Would that yield better aid for me?

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby Tanicius » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:Do you happen to know what do law school do with your own personal income since you are the one going to school? I am the only wage earner in my family, take away my half of my income and my EFC is 0. Would that yield better aid for me?


I have to imagine it must.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:07 pm

Tanicius wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Do you happen to know what do law school do with your own personal income since you are the one going to school? I am the only wage earner in my family, take away my half of my income and my EFC is 0. Would that yield better aid for me?


I have to imagine it must.


I had to jump through hoops for undergrad because they use my previous year tax returns even though I was unemployed and with 0 income at the time. I hope law schools will consider that. But I see a lot of schools won't bump the budget for spouse and kids so that worries me a bit.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby Dany » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:08 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
eskimo wrote:
hellojd wrote:I just sent in the scholarship app (merit only), but looks like that info won't come until January if I read correctly.


At what income level should you apply for need-based also? My family isn't what I'd consider poor, but we don't make a lot, either. I didn't have to fill out financial aid stuff for UG so I'm not sure how it all works.

Duke law uses fafsa and with that it depends on a few things. Your family income is subject to some kind of income allowance depending on how many members and I think how many in college. Above that level a certain percentage goes toward the estimated family contribution. Students also get an allowance of like $3000 and above that u are expected to contribute 50% of earnings/savings into the efc. Not really sure how law schools really use the efc though. For reference, my family income is usually 40-50k and my efc usually hovers around 2-3k I think. I would say with the high cost of law school even incomes in the 75-100k range may yield something.

Thanks TK! Good to know.

Haven't gotten the packet yet, but I will be filling out merit + need.

lshamlet
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby lshamlet » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:05 pm

Anyone know how long it takes after acceptance to receive the initial welcoming packet in the mail?

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby gbpackerbacker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:24 pm

I know that Duke states that I will have an answer within ten days, but what is the general consensus around here for a PT applicant to receive notice after he or she is "complete?"

Anybody get an answer in five days? Seven?

Thanks.

lshamlet
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby lshamlet » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:27 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:I know that Duke states that I will have an answer within ten days, but what is the general consensus around here for a PT applicant to receive notice after he or she is "complete?"

Anybody get an answer in five days? Seven?

Thanks.


Almost everyone has gotten it on Day 10 on the dot, except for people who applied super early.

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby mrmangs » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:29 pm

lshamlet wrote:Anyone know how long it takes after acceptance to receive the initial welcoming packet in the mail?


Took awhile for it to get to me. Almost 2 wks!

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby starrydreamz3 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:31 pm

lshamlet wrote:Anyone know how long it takes after acceptance to receive the initial welcoming packet in the mail?


3 days for me...though I'm sure it depends on how far from the school you are.

lshamlet
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby lshamlet » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks for your responses guys. I guess it just varies. I'm anxious to get it! I got accepted last Wednesday.

The Real Jack McCoy
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:05 pm

lshamlet wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:I know that Duke states that I will have an answer within ten days, but what is the general consensus around here for a PT applicant to receive notice after he or she is "complete?"

Anybody get an answer in five days? Seven?

Thanks.


Almost everyone has gotten it on Day 10 on the dot, except for people who applied super early.


7 business days, and wasn't super early (sent in 10/23). I didn't get the sense I was much of an exception. But I was complete prior to the wave of October LSAT takers.

Good luck.

NDirish23
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby NDirish23 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:18 pm

One week from submitted for me. I got in this afternoon, and I submitted it exactly a week ago (11/3) went complete on (11/4) and under review on (11/5)...super quick!

User avatar
s254w
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby s254w » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:16 pm

NDirish23 wrote:One week from submitted for me. I got in this afternoon, and I submitted it exactly a week ago (11/3) went complete on (11/4) and under review on (11/5)...super quick!


Wow congrats! What were your numbers, if you don't mind sharing?

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby Dany » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Image

Image

Hey! I didn't want to make a new thread for this, but I wanted to remind everyone to either create or update their LSN/Admissions Dean profiles. It's a little break from checking status checkers obsessively, and it's easier to get all the dates correct now rather than going back at the end and trying to remember. LSN has been such an immense help to me (and I'm sure all of you, as well) so I'd like to make sure we're giving the next cycles our useful information.

Also, if you're concerned about privacy (I am!) you can keep your information private while the cycle is ongoing. I am keeping my profile on "hidden" throughout the cycle but updating it regularly, then once I've made final decisions, I'll open it up.

Anddd, I'm posting this in all the waiting threads, so don't get annoyed if you see it more than once. :D

User avatar
Lou9
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:08 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby Lou9 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Waitlisted. I was complete on the 11/3 and got the decision on 11/10.

TrustMeI'mAnActress
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:43 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby TrustMeI'mAnActress » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:16 pm

For Duke, does the status checker change to decision rendered or something like that or does it stay at under review?

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby Sentry » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:18 pm

It'll switch to Decision Made Watch for email.

If you're above both medians with PT=admit.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby arism87 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:50 pm

TrustMeI'mAnActress wrote:For Duke, does the status checker change to decision rendered or something like that or does it stay at under review?


Mine didn't change until after I got the email (or maybe like an hour before but I had been checking and never saw it)

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby gbpackerbacker » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:04 pm

Can I write my PS for Cooley about the anxiety that I am facing waiting for a Duke PT decision? I did get a fee waiver from them...

User avatar
coolymx
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby coolymx » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:12 pm

put on Reserve from PT (a.k.a. soft rejection seeing they didn't go into the waitlist last year)

172 LSAT 3.67. Oh well.

ivantheterbl
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:04 am

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby ivantheterbl » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:13 pm

Ahh I just checked and it said decision has been rendered, watch for an email!

User avatar
OrdinarilySkilled
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:22 am

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:14 pm

coolymx wrote:put on Reserve from PT (a.k.a. soft rejection seeing they didn't go into the waitlist last year)

172 LSAT 3.67. Oh well.


Did you write a why duke essay? I have the same numbers so this saddens me.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Postby kazu » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:14 pm

Sentry wrote:It'll switch to Decision Made Watch for email.

If you're above both medians with PT=admit.

Bolded not true... at least a couple of TLSers above both medians (even above 75% LSAT in one case I think) were "Priority Reserved".




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”