Duke 2011 - Priority Track Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
T6Hopeful

Silver

Re: Duke 2011 - Priority Track

Post by T6Hopeful » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:35 pm

smscat wrote:I did PT but didn't get accepted right away - I don't think I'm going to write a statement of continued interest or whatever. I expect my grades to be fine (at least a 3.4) this semester, but I think this semester is going to bring my overall GPA down a bit - nothing impressive. Should I bother to keep sending them stuff?
Well if your grades are going down and they didn't ask for them, you probably don't want to send those. That being said, if you're not willing to write a statement of continued interest, I'm assuming it's not really that high up on the list for you; in which case I would say don't bother, and set your sights on the schools you do want to go to. HTH.

smscat

New

Post by smscat » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:38 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
smscat wrote:I did PT but didn't get accepted right away - I don't think I'm going to write a statement of continued interest or whatever. I expect my grades to be fine (at least a 3.4) this semester, but I think this semester is going to bring my overall GPA down a bit - nothing impressive. Should I bother to keep sending them stuff?
Well if your grades are going down and they didn't ask for them, you probably don't want to send those. That being said, if you're not willing to write a statement of continued interest, I'm assuming it's not really that high up on the list for you; in which case I would say don't bother, and set your sights on the schools you do want to go to. HTH.

Yeah that's what I figured. They suggested a transcript, but I already got in some places I think I like better, so I'm not too concerned. I don't know if I should dismiss trying so easily though, but thanks for your advice!

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:43 pm

smscat wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:

Yeah that's what I figured. They suggested a transcript, but I already got in some places I think I like better, so I'm not too concerned. I don't know if I should dismiss trying so easily though, but thanks for your advice!
No problem. The only reason I can think of to follow through is to eventually secure some negotiating aid: however, it's not worth it to play this game if you don't even know if those efforts will end up netting you an acceptance. At least based on the past 2 classes, we have no idea whether they'll take ALL or NONE of the priority reserve waiting in the ranks.

garrcv7

New

Post by garrcv7 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:38 pm

In!! First acceptance of the cycle :)

Submitted 11/19, held up because they needed a dean's note for a disciplinary incident, got a decision 10 days after they got the letter. 171/3.86/no "Why Duke"

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:05 pm

garrcv7 wrote:In!! First acceptance of the cycle :)

Submitted 11/19, held up because they needed a dean's note for a disciplinary incident, got a decision 10 days after they got the letter. 171/3.86/no "Why Duke"
CONGRATS! The first acceptance feels great! Enjoy it!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:37 pm

Scholarship info doesn't come until later, correct?

Checked a few pages of the thread and didn't see any info on this, sorry if its been asked before!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Spykuh wrote:
Spykuh wrote:presents and a handwritten note! how exciting!
I was SO excited to get the presents. :D
i haven't technically gotten them :( i put down my home address because my apt at school is notoriously bad about mail, so my mom called me to tell me all about them. my parents only live like half an hour away though so im seriously considering driving home tomorrow to pick up the package...even though its finals week hahaha.[/quote]

How long after the acceptance should I have gotten stuff? They accepted me like... I dunno, awhile ago. 12/9 looks like. I haven't heard or seen anything since.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:53 pm

In on Friday via email! Also in the "needed dean's certification" batch, so it took much longer than 10 days, and so my dates are useless if you're trying to gauge any date trends.
172, 3.7x, wrote a "Why Duke," and I think it was pretty solid, or at least the best of my Why essays.

Spykuh

Bronze

Post by Spykuh » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:59 pm

ahduth wrote:
Spykuh wrote:
Spykuh wrote:presents and a handwritten note! how exciting!
I was SO excited to get the presents. :D
i haven't technically gotten them :( i put down my home address because my apt at school is notoriously bad about mail, so my mom called me to tell me all about them. my parents only live like half an hour away though so im seriously considering driving home tomorrow to pick up the package...even though its finals week hahaha.
How long after the acceptance should I have gotten stuff? They accepted me like... I dunno, awhile ago. 12/9 looks like. I haven't heard or seen anything since.[/quote]

uhhhh i got mine like 3 or 4 days after the acceptance i think.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:48 pm

Soooo since they requested my fall grades (but never said I was deferred to regular applicant pile), I asked if after they received my fall grades if I would hear a decision within 10 days. They said they'll try their best, but no guarantee.

Do I have a right to be really upset about this? Giving me PT status, requesting fall grades but keeping me PT, and then essentially telling me "just kidding, it's going to take a while to get back to you because we're really busy now". I feel like I should be a quick decision like I was supposed to be.

Somebody calm me down haha

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:07 am

pereira6 wrote:Soooo since they requested my fall grades (but never said I was deferred to regular applicant pile), I asked if after they received my fall grades if I would hear a decision within 10 days. They said they'll try their best, but no guarantee.

Do I have a right to be really upset about this? Giving me PT status, requesting fall grades but keeping me PT, and then essentially telling me "just kidding, it's going to take a while to get back to you because we're really busy now". I feel like I should be a quick decision like I was supposed to be.

Somebody calm me down haha
I felt the exact same way, but I'm pretty sure they'll get back to you in a pretty reasonable amount of time. After all, if you qualified for PT in the first place and they do want to send you an acceptance, they're going to want to do it earlier rather than later to get their school into your consideration. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that requesting fall grades was a good sign, because they could easily have just priority reserved you, and at that point you might have to get your fall grades in anyway.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:24 pm

T6Hopeful wrote: I felt the exact same way, but I'm pretty sure they'll get back to you in a pretty reasonable amount of time. After all, if you qualified for PT in the first place and they do want to send you an acceptance, they're going to want to do it earlier rather than later to get their school into your consideration. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that requesting fall grades was a good sign, because they could easily have just priority reserved you, and at that point you might have to get your fall grades in anyway.
I think the only thing I'm nervous about is being delayed for scholarship consideration...I mean I'm not too sure how that process works but I just want my decision made quickly haha

My grades are coming in now and are looking right on par or better than my current LSDAS GPA, so that's a win!

tlslsnlsp

Bronze

Post by tlslsnlsp » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:30 am

submitted a week or so ago but got the news that since it's the holiday season they can't promise the 10 day response; i gotta wait till after jan 3rd. damn. wish me luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:51 pm

For people that submitted the scholarship app already, did you receive a confirmation email or status checker update saying they received it?

Thanks!

WhatSarahSaid

Bronze

Post by WhatSarahSaid » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:56 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:For people that submitted the scholarship app already, did you receive a confirmation email or status checker update saying they received it?

Thanks!
Confirmation e-mail.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:56 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:For people that submitted the scholarship app already, did you receive a confirmation email or status checker update saying they received it?

Thanks!
Yeah I got an email.. I feel like it took about 2 weeks but that's a total guess.

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:09 pm

arism87 wrote:

Thanks!
Yeah I got an email.. I feel like it took about 2 weeks but that's a total guess.
Awesome, thanks. I called into the financial aid office the next day.. I guess I'll wait a little longer before calling in again.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tlslsnlsp

Bronze

Post by tlslsnlsp » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:02 pm

in via email hours ago 3.67 / 172, hope this info helps everyone.

good luck to the rest of you!

khodorko

New

Post by khodorko » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:09 pm

Submitted 12/18 Priority Track, Email Acceptance on 12/30

First one! Like everybody else, it said the package with scholarship app is on its way.

coolgreen42

New

Post by coolgreen42 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:16 am

Submitted 12/21, Accepted 1/4.

First one for me too, and what a relief!

hellojd

Bronze

Post by hellojd » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:48 am

so we're supposed to be hearing about schollys this month right? anyone know how / when? what did it look like last year?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ship87

Bronze

Post by Ship87 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:32 pm

How long from file under review till the decision usually?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:37 pm

Ship87 wrote:How long from file under review till the decision usually?
I think most were from 8-10 days. Mine took 8 days.

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

paralegal

Bronze

Post by paralegal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Duke Law News, Jan. 4, 2011

Sarah Campbell ’09 bound for Supreme Court Clerkship in July ’11.

http://www.law.duke.edu/news/story?id=5945&u=11

Campbell is currently a litigator at Williams & Connolly in Washington, D.C. Campbell previously served as clerk for Judge William H. Pryor Jr. on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit.

Campbell is the second Duke Law graduate Alito has selected as a clerk; Garrick Sevilla ’07 is clerking for him in the current term. Amy Mason Saharia ’05 is currently a clerk for Justice Sonia Sotomayor and Allison Jones ’07 clerks for Justice Clarence Thomas.

Justice Alito has been teaching a short course on constitutional interpretation at Duke Law School for the past two years.

Campbell’s comments on Duke Law: “I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Law School,” she added. “My peers were incredibly bright and down-to-earth, and my professors created a caring environment that made it easy for students to excel.”

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”