UCLA? 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
archie&veronica

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby archie&veronica » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:06 pm

Also accepted this past week via phone call!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:07 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
UCLA actually sent an email that included a note saying that scholarships are done on a rolling basis and you should tell them of any scholarship offers you get. I'm debating whether I should tell them about my Fordham $60k (20/yr), or wait for my inevitable huge money from WUSTL before I play the game.

I'd wait.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
UCLA actually sent an email that included a note saying that scholarships are done on a rolling basis and you should tell them of any scholarship offers you get. I'm debating whether I should tell them about my Fordham $60k (20/yr), or wait for my inevitable huge money from WUSTL before I play the game.

I'd wait.

Yah that's what I'm planning.

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:12 pm

In case there are any other potential double bruins on here, my URSA menu had a "respond to law school offer" option at the top of the page when I logged in the day I was admitted (potentially before but I don't usually go on URSA frequently). So if you happen to have attended UCLA previously and are still waiting on a phone call that's another way to check!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:22 pm

I was worried that despite living in socal for most of my life, and going to HS and UG there, that my three years in other states since graduating would preclude me from instate tuition. Now that I know I will qualify for in state tuition because I went to HS in California, UCLA is my top choice. I really hope I get admitted AND perhaps even get some amount of scholarship money.....

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:30 pm

JenDarby wrote:I was worried that despite living in socal for most of my life, and going to HS and UG there, that my three years in other states since graduating would preclude me from instate tuition. Now that I know I will qualify for in state tuition because I went to HS in California, UCLA is my top choice. I really hope I get admitted AND perhaps even get some amount of scholarship money.....

I'm so confused on merit scholarship money. If they didn't offer any with our acceptance call, are we out of the running, or will they offer later, or what?

speedyj88

Postby speedyj88 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Knock wrote:
JenDarby wrote:I was worried that despite living in socal for most of my life, and going to HS and UG there, that my three years in other states since graduating would preclude me from instate tuition. Now that I know I will qualify for in state tuition because I went to HS in California, UCLA is my top choice. I really hope I get admitted AND perhaps even get some amount of scholarship money.....

I'm so confused on merit scholarship money. If they didn't offer any with our acceptance call, are we out of the running, or will they offer later, or what?

I'd like to know the answer to this question too.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:36 pm

File complete 11/16, @ both 75ths, OOS...

"Chirp... chirp."

I wonder if they review Epstein program apps last...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:39 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:File complete 11/16, @ both 75ths, OOS...

"Chirp... chirp."

I wonder if they review Epstein program apps last...

I am still complete 10/7 with nothing...

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:37 am

how do u know when u went complete? they have status checker??????

or just e-mail?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:48 am

justadude55 wrote:how do u know when u went complete? they have status checker??????

or just e-mail?

email to my LSAC email address (not the one on my app, and it landed in the junk folder).

furrywalls

Postby furrywalls » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:39 am

r6_philly wrote:I am still complete 10/7 with nothing...

+1 and also 10/6 complete with nothing since at USC....Coincidence that the cali schools don't want to send me decisions (i'm in the southeast)? Probably more likely that it has something to do with being a splitter.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:29 am

furrywalls wrote:

+1 and also 10/6 complete with nothing since at USC....Coincidence that the cali schools don't want to send me decisions (i'm in the southeast)? Probably more likely that it has something to do with being a splitter.

I am not a splitter, but maybe I am not just not a good fit at the LA schools.

LilMonsterAnnie

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:58 pm

furrywalls wrote:

I wouldn't sweat it, I don't think most of us have heard (myself included). I am on the west coast.

Here is hearing awesomeness in 2011

Older Chest

Postby Older Chest » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:37 pm

Knock wrote:

A related question...

Does anyone happen to know what schools UCLA would consider to be peers? I have a hard time that UCLA will match WUSTL or Fordham, but perhaps I am being slightly naive.

Also, is there any chance that UCLA would call bluff on a Cornell scholarship offer and tell the applicant to enjoy life in Ithaca?

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:03 pm

Long Live Jacox wrote:
Knock wrote:

A related question...

Does anyone happen to know what schools UCLA would consider to be peers? I have a hard time that UCLA will match WUSTL or Fordham, but perhaps I am being slightly naive.

Also, is there any chance that UCLA would call bluff on a Cornell scholarship offer and tell the applicant to enjoy life in Ithaca?

There's a chance, but there's really no downside. If it works and they match Cornell, you get money, if it doesn't work, you're not in any worse position than you were before. They're not going to withdraw your acceptance offer or anything.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:07 pm

Knock wrote:There's a chance, but there's really no downside. If it works and they match Cornell, you get money, if it doesn't work, you're not in any worse position than you were before. They're not going to withdraw your acceptance offer or anything.

This is of course assuming that you're not bluffing about a scholarship offer from Cornell. Adcoms know adcoms at other schools, lying about a scholarship offer is not a good idea.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:10 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
Knock wrote:There's a chance, but there's really no downside. If it works and they match Cornell, you get money, if it doesn't work, you're not in any worse position than you were before. They're not going to withdraw your acceptance offer or anything.

This is of course assuming that you're not bluffing about a scholarship offer from Cornell. Adcoms know adcoms at other schools, lying about a scholarship offer is not a good idea.

Oh yeah, most definitely this. That could seriously fuck you over come C&F. Outright lying, especially on something easily verifiable or not is seen as a matter of integrity, which is very important for lawyers to have. But I don't think that's how he meant it.

Older Chest

Postby Older Chest » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:54 pm

Knock wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:

Oh yeah, most definitely this. That could seriously fuck you over come C&F. Outright lying, especially on something easily verifiable or not is seen as a matter of integrity, which is very important for lawyers to have. But I don't think that's how he meant it.

Not how I meant it, but I appreciate the responses nonetheless. I remember reading about an applicant last year that gave a T14 false scholarship information (I am not certain if it was over email or the phone, but I think it was perhaps a forged email/fax of sorts), and then the admissions offices talked, and then that person was in a lot of trouble.

It is an important point to emphasize for everyone out there: do not submit fake scholarship offers to schools. Apart from everything else, admissions officers do talk with one another and know what type of offers are out there.

In this thread though, I am more curious of how best to approach requesting merit aid from UCLA. It is one of my top choices, and I would be very interested in any advice that is out there in dealing with them, especially as relates to an appropriate timeline. I'm sure there are many out there in the same boat as me, and I'm worried about submitting competing offers too late in the cycle when there is less money to disperse.
Last edited by Older Chest on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:59 pm

Older Chest wrote:Not how I meant it, but I appreciate the responses nonetheless. I remember reading about an applicant last year that gave a T14 false scholarship information (I am not certain if it was over email or the phone, but I think it was perhaps a forged email/fax of sorts), and then the admissions offices talked, and then that person was in a lot of trouble.

It is an important point to emphasize for everyone out there; do not submit fake scholarship offers to schools. Apart from everything else, admissions officers do talk with one another and know what type of offers are out there.

In this thread though, I am more curious of how best to approach requesting merit aid from UCLA. It is one of my top choices, and I would be very interested in any advice that is out there in dealing with them, especially as relates to an appropriate timeline. I'm sure there are many out there in the same boat as me, and I'm worried about submitting competing offers too late in the cycle when there is less money to disperse.

Definitely, and well said.

I'd also like to know more about negotiating aid with ucla, if anyone is out there with experience in doing so it out there: help us!

weee

Postby weee » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:19 pm

Dean Z at Michigan blogged about the fake scholarship last year.

Curry

Postby Curry » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:22 pm

Hipster, I go to UCLA and know people at the Law school. What questions do you have?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:12 pm

I assume UCLA would match MVP+gtown, cornell, utA, vandy, usc, wustl, gwu?

But this is based purely on rankings and my own speculation.

Curry

Postby Curry » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:44 pm

They match USC, but only if your numbers are strong. I know people who got scholly's at USC and no match from UCLA

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:57 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:They match USC, but only if your numbers are strong. I know people who got scholly's at USC and no match from UCLA

strong meaning at or above at least one of the 75ths or...?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”