UCLA? 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:14 am

Arbiter213 wrote:Yah- I'm fortunate, in that my most impressive softs are not even hinted at in my PS and are barely discussed on my resume- so I can write a decent essay. But I have about 0 chance to win- for one thing, r6 is applying. >_<

I am not really all that impressive. I just do a good job selling it. :P (well then it probably doesn't matter lol)

But seriously I don't know. I did some cool things but I have no idea what selection criteria they are looking for. I think I am more miss than hit. My non-trad story is a hard sell for a flagship scholarship. I am doing it only because it would be sweet to be a finalist.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 am

r6_philly wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Yah- I'm fortunate, in that my most impressive softs are not even hinted at in my PS and are barely discussed on my resume- so I can write a decent essay. But I have about 0 chance to win- for one thing, r6 is applying. >_<

I am not really all that impressive. I just do a good job selling it. :P (well then it probably doesn't matter lol)

But seriously I don't know. I did some cool things but I have no idea what selection criteria they are looking for. I think I am more miss than hit. My non-trad story is a hard sell for a flagship scholarship. I am doing it only because it would be sweet to be a finalist.

See- I want the finalist thing because that's sweet, but I also think I have a solid shot if I can get that far. For various reasons my GPA isn't quite what it should be :cough:fucking japanese professors:cough:, so I wasn't quite competitive for the major scholarships I wanted to apply for- but my office of fellowships still backed me for the Gates if I wanted to because, as they put it, "put you in an interview and anything can happen."

So I may have the opposite problem: I don't look that impressive on paper and I'm bad at selling myself, but I can be super impressive in person.

But yah, I find cheerleading you to be fun. So go you! You can do it!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:50 am

Arbiter213 wrote:See- I want the finalist thing because that's sweet, but I also think I have a solid shot if I can get that far. For various reasons my GPA isn't quite what it should be :cough:fucking japanese professors:cough:, so I wasn't quite competitive for the major scholarships I wanted to apply for- but my office of fellowships still backed me for the Gates if I wanted to because, as they put it, "put you in an interview and anything can happen."

So I may have the opposite problem: I don't look that impressive on paper and I'm bad at selling myself, but I can be super impressive in person.

Since there are 4 finalist spots, I root for all of us!

Boalt is already an amazing thing, I am very grateful. If I can get more impressive acceptances and offers that would really make me feel great. I hope I can do it too. Moving to Cali is such an attractive thought right now (snowed a little yesterday) I really hope it will happen.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:59 am

r6_philly wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:See- I want the finalist thing because that's sweet, but I also think I have a solid shot if I can get that far. For various reasons my GPA isn't quite what it should be :cough:fucking japanese professors:cough:, so I wasn't quite competitive for the major scholarships I wanted to apply for- but my office of fellowships still backed me for the Gates if I wanted to because, as they put it, "put you in an interview and anything can happen."

Since there are 4 finalist spots, I root for all of us!

Boalt is already an amazing thing, I am very grateful. If I can get more impressive acceptances and offers that would really make me feel great. I hope I can do it too. Moving to Cali is such an attractive thought right now (snowed a little yesterday) I really hope it will happen.

Snowed a little and you're complaining? Dude, have you ever been to Chicago? It windchill -8.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:01 am

you all make me depressed.

That is all.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:02 am

Arbiter213 wrote:Snowed a little and you're complaining? Dude, have you ever been to Chicago? It windchill -8.

I am not quite made for this. That's why NU and Chicago are going to be hard sells for me. I love photographs of snow, but dread the real thing.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:03 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:you all make me depressed.

That is all.

Aww cheer up Aggiesgrad- you're smart and beautiful! It's the holidays! Settle down by the fire with an Irish coffee or a spiked hot chocolate and enjoy the wait for the excitement it is- think how boring your life would be without the wait.

r6_philly wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Snowed a little and you're complaining? Dude, have you ever been to Chicago? It windchill -8.

I am not quite made for this. That's why NU and Chicago are going to be hard sells for me. I love photographs of snow, but dread the real thing.

Yah- uh. Don't move to Chicago. You won't like it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:08 am

Arbiter213 wrote:Yah- uh. Don't move to Chicago. You won't like it.

I know, I've been there in Jan. Wrong city for the homeless :x

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:16 am

Aww cheer up Aggiesgrad- you're smart and beautiful! It's the holidays! Settle down by the fire with an Irish coffee or a spiked hot chocolate and enjoy the wait for the excitement it is- think how boring your life would be without the wait.

I'd rather be dumb, ugly, and accepted to law school. I'll gladly wear size 14 pants if it'll get Dean Shwartz to love me.

Irish coffee does sound fantastic. I have a glass of "chocolate milk" right here though that I am working on. Bailey's poured right onto ice.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:30 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

I'd rather be dumb, ugly, and accepted to law school. I'll gladly wear size 14 pants if it'll get Dean Shwartz to love me.

Irish coffee does sound fantastic. I have a glass of "chocolate milk" right here though that I am working on. Bailey's poured right onto ice.

See that's what I'm talking about. Keep sippin' that milk and you'll see the world is a good place. Also, you probably don't want to be dumb if it gets you into law school- that wouldn't end well. :)

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:34 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

See that's what I'm talking about. Keep sippin' that milk and you'll see the world is a good place. Also, you probably don't want to be dumb if it gets you into law school- that wouldn't end well. :)

Hey, you never know. Could scoot on through with middling grades. Who cares about a good job if the J.D. on your wall says Boalt Hall??? :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:41 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Hey, you never know. Could scoot on through with middling grades. Who cares about a good job if the J.D. on your wall says Boalt Hall??? :)

Apparently half the people who gets into Boalt! :D

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:46 am

r6_philly wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Hey, you never know. Could scoot on through with middling grades. Who cares about a good job if the J.D. on your wall says Boalt Hall??? :)

But hey, Boalt doesn't have grades.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:48 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

But hey, Boalt doesn't have grades.

Funny enough, that's what people are complaining about. People feel like finishing above average and bottom of the class makes no difference at hiring time.

dodgerboy86

Postby dodgerboy86 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:42 am

Dang, I almost feel guilty getting in to UCLA with a 165 after seeing all your numbers. I did have good softs and gpa, but still, I have no idea how that happens, but I'll take it!

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:02 am

dodgerboy86 wrote:Dang, I almost feel guilty getting in to UCLA with a 165 after seeing all your numbers. I did have good softs and gpa, but still, I have no idea how that happens, but I'll take it!

srsly? If you were in the room with me I'd chuck my GULC acceptance package at your head for that comment.

On another note, congrats on the acceptance. :lol:

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:52 pm

2 rabdim qs:

is ucla tge only school w out an online status checker? really?

is there a why ucla essay? ive seen it referenced but it's not on the app.

Redsgomarchingon

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:58 pm

justadude55 wrote:2 rabdim qs:

UCLA doesn't have a status checker. I'm sure a few other schools do not have one either. Yes, really.

The PS question on the app is phrased as such that you could write a why UCLA essay, but I don't think it's necessary or advantageous unless you can back it up with relevant work experience for a specific program or something similar.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:
justadude55 wrote:2 rabdim qs:

UCLA doesn't have a status checker. I'm sure a few other schools do not have one either. Yes, really.

The PS question on the app is phrased as such that you could write a why UCLA essay, but I don't think it's necessary or advantageous unless you can back it up with relevant work experience for a specific program or something similar.

I did write that essay and I thought it was sincerely and very believable. Hasn't helped so far!

Did anyone get a call today yet?

syezzie

Postby syezzie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:51 pm

I got a call yesterday but wasn't able to pick up the phone. Dean Schwatz left a message asking me to call back. I did and left him a message. Phone tag with an admissions dean! Hopefully he calls again today -- I will answer, I promise!!

Redsgomarchingon

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:56 pm

syezzie wrote:I got a call yesterday but wasn't able to pick up the phone. Dean Schwatz left a message asking me to call back. I did and left him a message. Phone tag with an admissions dean! Hopefully he calls again today -- I will answer, I promise!!

congrats!

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:32 pm

[quote="]

Snowed a little and you're complaining? Dude, have you ever been to Chicago? It windchill -8.[/quote]
2 words: metrodome collapse. Now I get to dig my car out of my driveway. But it'll keep my phone on me just in case... :D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:53 pm

vegenator wrote:2 words: metrodome collapse. Now I get to dig my car out of my driveway. But it'll keep my phone on me just in case... :D

Yeaa ... ummm ... no.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:56 pm

r6_philly wrote:
vegenator wrote:2 words: metrodome collapse. Now I get to dig my car out of my driveway. But it'll keep my phone on me just in case... :D

Yeaa ... ummm ... no.

So is NY the coldest place you applied to LS?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:20 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Yeaa ... ummm ... no.

So is NY the coldest place you applied to LS?

Chicago. Don't know what I was thinking.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”