UCLA? 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:13 am

Ya Dean call me and vegenator tomorrow!

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:17 am

r6_philly wrote:Ya Dean call me and vegenator tomorrow!

LOL @ r6 still not getting into an LA school. It's because they can smell the bay area on you.

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:18 am

Hmmm... yah, I can see why YP WL would be a concern. You're just overall a better candidate than me lol- so I have no idea. If they let me in they should let you in![/quote

I wasn't worried about yield protect waitlists as I didn't think people at 75ths / my numbers were good enough for that. The people who got waitlisted today are what concerns me as it seems most of them have at least one solid number and are generally above the 25ths.

ellewoods2

Postby ellewoods2 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:18 am

I'm part of the 10/07 batch! Call me, too!!

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:19 am

vegenator wrote:Hmmm... yah, I can see why YP WL would be a concern. You're just overall a better candidate than me lol- so I have no idea. If they let me in they should let you in![/quote

I wasn't worried about yield protect waitlists as I didn't think people at 75ths / my numbers were good enough for that. The people who got waitlisted today are what concerns me as it seems most of them have at least one solid number and are generally above the 25ths.

Your numbers + WE + masters might make it possible- but what do I know.

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:21 am

Arbiter213 wrote:

LOL @ r6 still not getting into an LA school. It's because they can smell the bay area on you.

That'd be awesome, r6 :D but I know which ca school you're really hoping will call tomorrow. Starts with an S and rhymes with banford :mrgreen:

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:22 am

ellewoods2 wrote:

I'm part of the 10/07 batch! Call me, too!!

Conference call? All tlsers at 10/7 complete get a call tomorrow? :mrgreen:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:23 am

Arbiter213 wrote:

That's mean :cry: you are going to turn my happy face to a sad face!

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:25 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
vegenator wrote:Hmmm... yah, I can see why YP WL would be a concern. You're just overall a better candidate than me lol- so I have no idea. If they let me in they should let you in![/quote

Your numbers + WE + masters might make it possible- but what do I know.

Thanks for the confidence. :) (something anxious waiting tends to destroy!)

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:26 am

r6_philly wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Awww, I'm sorry r6- just think of your shiny acceptances :) If I could I'd trade you Berkeley for UCLA :)

Also, I've just decided that UCLA admitting me must be a mistake. They admitted me too fast, over people with better numbers, and didn't give me any scholarship, despite people with worse numbers getting them, e.g. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Destined

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:26 am

r6_philly wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

You should be proud! Eau de bay is a really prestigious cologne. :wink:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:27 am

vegenator wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

That'd be awesome, r6 :D but I know which ca school you're really hoping will call tomorrow. Starts with an S and rhymes with banford :mrgreen:

There is always hope for this median applicant. I hope they like me! I am ready to move.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:31 am

Arbiter213 wrote:Awww, I'm sorry r6- just think of your shiny acceptances :) If I could I'd trade you Berkeley for UCLA :)

Also, I've just decided that UCLA admitting me must be a mistake. They admitted me too fast, over people with better numbers, and didn't give me any scholarship, despite people with worse numbers getting them, e.g. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Destined

Maybe they like your UG for diversity reasons? Your numbers are quite decent I think. You applied to Berkeley right? You never know!

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:33 am

r6_philly wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Awww, I'm sorry r6- just think of your shiny acceptances :) If I could I'd trade you Berkeley for UCLA :)

Maybe they like your UG for diversity reasons? Your numbers are quite decent I think. You applied to Berkeley right? You never know!

Haha, hope springs eternal! We shall see- I suppose they might like my UG- we definitely focus more at other schools in the region. My working theory is my personal statement talks about my study of philosophy, and UCLA has the premier Philosophy and Law program.

I fully expect you to get in to Stanford and thereby free up spots for me other deserving applicants.

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:34 am

Arbiter213 wrote:

I wouldn't be too worried (though probably confused and disappointed). I see you've been accepted to wustl and with your numbers you should get solid money there. If by then you haven't gotten money from ucla you should start negotiating. You'd also likey get close to a full ride at Illinois if you want to spend $12 for extra leverage.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:37 am

vegenator wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

I wouldn't be too worried (though probably confused and disappointed). I see you've been accepted to wustl and with your numbers you should get solid money there. If by then you haven't gotten money from ucla you should start negotiating. You'd also likey get close to a full ride at Illinois if you want to spend $12 for extra leverage.

I'm tempted- I did the same thing to Minnesota- without giving too much away, I'm actually in Illinois, so maybe I should spend the $12- but is it worth the glass of single malt I could but with it?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:41 am

Arbiter213 wrote:Haha, hope springs eternal! We shall see- I suppose they might like my UG- we definitely focus more at other schools in the region. My working theory is my personal statement talks about my study of philosophy, and UCLA has the premier Philosophy and Law program.

I fully expect you to get in to Stanford and thereby free up spots for me other deserving applicants.

I really think you should get good money seeing they really liked your application. It should also be taken as a good sign for Berkeley. I am taking my Berkeley nod as a good sign for Stanford.

It will def. work out for all of us if I get in then! :mrgreen:

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:43 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
vegenator wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

I'm tempted- I did the same thing to Minnesota- without giving too much away, I'm actually in Illinois, so maybe I should spend the $12- but is it worth the glass of single malt I could but with it?

Lol. I think illinois is a better $12 than mn. Mn gives out far fewer full rides than il, so I say forgo the malt beverage tonight and perhaps be thankful when you get thousands from ucla. Funny thing is, I'm in mn and was holding out for a mn fee waiver. I never got one and since I got both a full ride at Illinois (ranked higher) and accepted to Michigan I see no reason to spend 75 on my hometown school...

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:46 am

r6_philly wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Haha, hope springs eternal! We shall see- I suppose they might like my UG- we definitely focus more at other schools in the region. My working theory is my personal statement talks about my study of philosophy, and UCLA has the premier Philosophy and Law program.

I really think you should get good money seeing they really liked your application. It should also be taken as a good sign for Berkeley. I am taking my Berkeley nod as a good sign for Stanford.

It will def. work out for all of us if I get in then! :mrgreen:

Yeah I keep thinking my quick acceptance to Michigan was a good sign for Berkeley. And r6's acceptance to Berkeley is definitely indicative of good things to come. Which of course would be awesome for arbiter and me (race you to Berkeley!) :mrgreen:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:52 am

I am composing an essay for the Rothman at USC. Think they won't laugh at it and throw it away?

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:59 am

r6_philly wrote:I am composing an essay for the Rothman at USC. Think they won't laugh at it and throw it away?

I want to do this too, but I'm having a hard tome figuring out how to make it unlike my ps...
I don't think it'd be unusual for higher numbers to submit the essay, since after all aren't most of us trying to get into top law schools so we can work at firms like skadden anyways? That plus full ride = one lucky law bastard law student.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:07 am

vegenator wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I am composing an essay for the Rothman at USC. Think they won't laugh at it and throw it away?

I want to do this too, but I'm having a hard tome figuring out how to make it unlike my ps...
I don't think it'd be unusual for higher numbers to submit the essay, since after all aren't most of us trying to get into top law schools so we can work at firms like skadden anyways? That plus full ride = one lucky law bastard law student.

Yah- I'm fortunate, in that my most impressive softs are not even hinted at in my PS and are barely discussed on my resume- so I can write a decent essay. But I have about 0 chance to win- for one thing, r6 is applying. >_<

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:08 am

vegenator wrote:

Apparently I am good at tooting my own horn which is perfect for this (see? :D )

My PS doesn't quite apply, so I will write more of an "About me". I do have plenty to write about. Shameless self-promotion is a talent :mrgreen: Whether or not they will think it's sincerely I am not sure.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:11 am

r6_philly wrote:
vegenator wrote:

Apparently I am good at tooting my own horn which is perfect for this (see? :D )

My PS doesn't quite apply, so I will write more of an "About me". I do have plenty to write about. Shameless self-promotion is a talent :mrgreen: Whether or not they will think it's sincerely I am not sure.

I'm only applying because this is my first vacation without a thesis or major research project/ LSAT studying/ APPS hanging over my head in like 2 years- need a way to fill time.

For the record, I just applied to Illinois. I'd feel guilty about my almost 100% false why Illinois if I had any interest in attending. Not sure how that makes it better in my mind but I'm ok with that.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:13 am

I am quite sure they expect nothing less than a trove of falsehoods in everyone's "Why X" statements. In an interview over on AdmissionsDean, The dean of NYLS said exactly that in defending his decision of stopping the requirement of PStatements @ NYLS. It's a pretty fun read if you guys haven't seen it yet.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”