UCLA? 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Redsgomarchingon

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:36 pm

RedItalus10 wrote:Just to get a sense of the ED pool, what your numbers?(if you don't mind telling of us course) Mine are 3.7/166. Do I have a chance?

I know there have been two ED acceptance on LSN. They seemed to have submitted early (Oct). and they both have at least one stat at or around the 75th, which worries me cause both of mine are below UCLA's medians :( I'm scarrrrrred.

for the record they had:
169/3.45 (complete 11/02/10)
165/3.82 (complete 10/13/10)

Last year's class:
25th 50th 75th
GPA: 3.56 3.77 3.87
LSAT: 165 168 170

*I'm sure most people on here know the info above, but I figured it would be convenient to list it.

I'd say you were a toss up as an ED. It'll come down to your softs and PS. Hope you didn't make any grammar mistakes

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:40 pm

yes, i agree with the above. last year's thread showed some scary dings and WL's for ED, numbers-wise. and some weird acceptances, too...

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:43 pm

I swear most of the time I forget I even applied to this school.
I think this is a good thing, no status checker or anything has made me considerably less neurotic about it.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:35 pm

almostfamous wrote: no status checker or anything has made me considerably less neurotic about it.

furrywalls

Postby furrywalls » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:46 pm

almostfamous wrote:I swear most of the time I forget I even applied to this school.
I think this is a good thing, no status checker or anything has made me considerably less neurotic about it.

I was just telling someone that I forgot I applied to UCLA and ND. I didn't think it was a good thing at first but now I definitely appreciate it.

LilMonsterAnnie

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:49 pm

furrywalls wrote:
almostfamous wrote:I swear most of the time I forget I even applied to this school.

I was just telling someone that I forgot I applied to UCLA and ND. I didn't think it was a good thing at first but now I definitely appreciate it.

after being UR for numerous schools, I actually forgot the other night half of them I applied to. It has gotten so tedious to run to the mailbox, check the inbox, stare at the phone. I have definately gotten numb and indifferent about obsessively checking.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:48 pm

I am now UR for 11 schools and have been UR in some way for most of them since 11/05-ish.

Oh the horror.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I am now UR for 11 schools and have been UR in some way for most of them since 11/05-ish.

Oh the horror.

I filed most before Oct. It feels like they were sent last cycle by now.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I am now UR for 11 schools and have been UR in some way for most of them since 11/05-ish.

Oh the horror.

you've also been accepted to (at least one) top 10. Don't start with me R6.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:55 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Oh the horror.

you've also been accepted to (at least one) top 10. Don't start with me R6.

That was last week, so you wait 4 weeks and we will compare again.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:56 pm

Just playing with you if that's not clear :) good luck.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:Just playing with you if that's not clear :) good luck.

I'm sure I need something more than luck =/

Not even a school where I'm >> 75th's on both is taking me (and they're not YP'ers). I'm worried that the December LSAT I'd been registered for (that I cleared off w/ LSAC via fax about 3 days after I submitted all my apps *and* emailed ALL the schools about) is somehow holding my files up everywhere. Either that or they're afraid I'll go crazy PTSD on their asses and they don't want to let me in. I'm so confused.

williams55

Postby williams55 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:52 pm

r6...you know we're all just jealous of your acceptance(s?) don't let the haters get you down! (:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:53 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

Not even a school where I'm >> 75th's on both is taking me (and they're not YP'ers). I'm worried that the December LSAT I'd been registered for (that I cleared off w/ LSAC via fax about 3 days after I submitted all my apps *and* emailed ALL the schools about) is somehow holding my files up everywhere. Either that or they're afraid I'll go crazy PTSD on their asses and they don't want to let me in. I'm so confused.

You will be fine. This is a weird cycle at the mid range schools because last year they were all pretty overwhelmed. Looks like many schools are not touching the group that is above both medians yet, maybe to see how it will look after the Dec. LSAT.

Did you serve in combat? You should some love for your service.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:54 pm

williams55 wrote:r6...you know we're all just jealous of your acceptance(s?) don't let the haters get you down! (:

It's quite alright. I feel similar in other threads. It's ok, I think we will all find out happy place in the end.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:57 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

You will be fine. This is a weird cycle at the mid range schools because last year they were all pretty overwhelmed. Looks like many schools are not touching the group that is above both medians yet, maybe to see how it will look after the Dec. LSAT.

Did you serve in combat? You should some love for your service.

Yes, two tours in fact... I thought it would be a pretty good distinction, you know, how many combat vets could they possibly have, especially ones with pretty much perfect academic records? Just that one silly test holding me back I guess. We all have our demons =-/

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:57 pm

r6_philly wrote:
williams55 wrote:r6...you know we're all just jealous of your acceptance(s?) don't let the haters get you down! (:

It's quite alright. I feel similar in other threads. It's ok, I think we will all find out happy place in the end.

I'm SO hatin' on you ;) In a good way, though, even if you are kind of silly.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:02 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Yes, two tours in fact... I thought it would be a pretty good distinction, you know, how many combat vets could they possibly have, especially ones with pretty much perfect academic records? Just that one silly test holding me back I guess. We all have our demons =-/

The test is fitting only for some. I am sure you will do well as a lawyer wherever you end up. It takes character, and you will succeed beyond what the test is trying to tell you.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:05 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I'm SO hatin' on you ;) In a good way, though, even if you are kind of silly.

lol I have to be silly and look at this world in a funny way. Or I would have killed myself long ago (seriously and literally), or fallen prey to many other ungodly things. At least I am fun to know and be around, so everyone benefits.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:09 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

The test is fitting only for some. I am sure you will do well as a lawyer wherever you end up. It takes character, and you will succeed beyond what the test is trying to tell you.

Thanks for that, although you and I both know that the school's name that goes on your J.D. dictates what opportunities you are allowed to have, not to mention the quality of experience you have in earning the J.D.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:13 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Thanks for that, although you and I both know that the school's name that goes on your J.D. dictates what opportunities you are allowed to have, not to mention the quality of experience you have in earning the J.D.

I agree to a large extend on the first point - for most jobs. But if you go to a good regional and look for opportunities around the school that is not that bad.

I don't necessarily agree with the second point as much. I see law school as a way to socialize, network, and earning that diploma. This doesn't have to be done at a top school to be done well, although I am very familiar and do appreciate the top schools. But you can do that in many of the schools you will get into.

Not being an ass, but you can also try retake with your GPA if it doesn't work out. I may retake in Feb...

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

I agree to a large extend on the first point - for most jobs. But if you go to a good regional and look for opportunities around the school that is not that bad.

I don't necessarily agree with the second point as much. I see law school as a way to socialize, network, and earning that diploma. This doesn't have to be done at a top school to be done well, although I am very familiar and do appreciate the top schools. But you can do that in many of the schools you will get into.

Not being an ass, but you can also try retake with your GPA if it doesn't work out. I may retake in Feb...

Believe you me, "retake" has been on my mind since I saw my score in October. If I do re-take, though, it won't be until June, although I hope it doesn't come to it. I'm not too worried about debt load because I have the yellow ribbon program and other things covering a decent chunk of the cost associated with LS but I do have some fairly stringent geographical requirements mostly related to my husband and his work. Basically anywhere in a big city would be fine I suppose. I kind of applied with that in mind, and tried to get a really good "shotgun" approach to it, really emphasizing that "reach - target - safety" mentality.

About my 2nd point - It's hard to elucidate precisely what it is that I mean, but I think I can sum it up by saying that I appreciate a very academic, "hard core" type of schooling and I don't know if lower T1 schools (and below) would really offer that kind of rigor. I have carried 16+ quarter units since I started undergrad and have never received a grade lower than A- (And that grade only a couple of times). From what I HEAR, schools where you have the majority of students in the lower to mid 150 LSAT range and 3.2-3.5 GPA range don't offer the same "mind screw" and work load demands that schools higher up do. I could be wrong about this and so my could my admittedly small sample of sources and am willing to accept any and all counterexamples.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:06 am

+1

edit for shift hold

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:20 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Believe you me, "retake" has been on my mind since I saw my score in October. If I do re-take, though, it won't be until June, although I hope it doesn't come to it. I'm not too worried about debt load because I have the yellow ribbon program and other things covering a decent chunk of the cost associated with LS but I do have some fairly stringent geographical requirements mostly related to my husband and his work. Basically anywhere in a big city would be fine I suppose. I kind of applied with that in mind, and tried to get a really good "shotgun" approach to it, really emphasizing that "reach - target - safety" mentality.

About my 2nd point - It's hard to elucidate precisely what it is that I mean, but I think I can sum it up by saying that I appreciate a very academic, "hard core" type of schooling and I don't know if lower T1 schools (and below) would really offer that kind of rigor. I have carried 16+ quarter units since I started undergrad and have never received a grade lower than A- (And that grade only a couple of times). From what I HEAR, schools where you have the majority of students in the lower to mid 150 LSAT range and 3.2-3.5 GPA range don't offer the same "mind screw" and work load demands that schools higher up do. I could be wrong about this and so my could my admittedly small sample of sources and am willing to accept any and all counterexamples.

I took 24 credit my last semester (full time is 12) and have a 4.0 for my degree so trust me, I know what you mean. However, in a professional school (law school is not academic) I really just want to learn the practical skills and get the diploma. I plan to take clinics and other classes outside of the law school when I can, so I am not really looking for vigor per se. You may expect it differently, I just want to have a nice experience while getting the right training. I believe I already gained the proper work ethic and self-discipline, and you probably have as well (maybe more so due to your military background), so you should be fine and don't really need the handholding.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:12 pm

UCLA, what is going onnnnnn. My ED is becoming an ND... a normal decision!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”