UCLA? 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Aggiegrad2011

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:43 pm

silverlake33 wrote:Email from admissions last week:

"It takes time for us to compile your file and we will be back in touch by email when it is complete and ready for review. If you are taking a future LSAT, we wait for that score before marking your file complete."

I am signed up for December, but I want a decision soon with the score I already have on record. Noooo darn it!!

I had the same problem. This is what I did:

1. E-mailed the schools to tell them to disregard the future LSAT. They all appreciated the e-mail.

2. Fax the LSAT cancellation form, signed and dated, to LSAC (The fax # appears on the PDF). That is simply the fastest way to make that disappear from LSAC.

Boston University is the only school thus far that hasn't acknowledged the cancellation of the Dec. LSAT. I've had to e-mail them twice and still they haven't figured it out. But yeah, do it, do it now!

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:03 pm

"It takes time for us to compile your file and we will be back in touch by email when it is complete and ready for review. If you are taking a future LSAT, we wait for that score before marking your file complete."

I am signed up for December, but I want a decision soon with the score I already have on record. Noooo darn it!!

Tell them via email to not wait for your score. They say that they will anyways but Ive seen people in past cycles get in with $$ before the future LSAT date. (Even though UCLA told them they would wait)

silverlake33

Postby silverlake33 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:19 pm

Aggiegrad- I still intend to write December, but would like UCLA to review me with the score I have on record : ) I hope you work things out with BU!

JJDancer wrote: Tell them via email to not wait for your score. They say that they will anyways but Ive seen people in past cycles get in with $$ before the future LSAT date. (Even though UCLA told them they would wait)

Will do, and I hope the admissions assistant passes on the message... thanks : )

athletics005

Postby athletics005 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:17 pm

To those who have already been accepted, did you receive scholarship information in your acceptance packet in addition to being told over the phone?

forward

Postby forward » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:58 pm

JJDancer wrote:

Tell them via email to not wait for your score. They say that they will anyways but Ive seen people in past cycles get in with $$ before the future LSAT date. (Even though UCLA told them they would wait)

This (for me).

athletics005 wrote:To those who have already been accepted, did you receive scholarship information in your acceptance packet in addition to being told over the phone?

Over the phone. Dean Schwartz indicated a letter was forthcoming. Haven't received it as of Thursday. Call came on Tuesday, but it takes a while for mail to get from the west coast to the midwest.

ETA: Didn't read carefully enough. I thought you were just asking if info came over the phone.
Last edited by forward on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:07 pm

forward21 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

This (for me).

athletics005 wrote:To those who have already been accepted, did you receive scholarship information in your acceptance packet in addition to being told over the phone?

Over the phone. Dean Schwartz indicated a letter was forthcoming. Haven't received it as of Thursday. Call came on Tuesday, but it takes a while for mail to get from the west coast to the midwest.

Have patience dude. I got accepted and Schwartz told me they weren't even going to mail the packet until next week. So it was a good 1.5 weeks from the call. So wait at least that long.

silverlake33

Postby silverlake33 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks for the input, everyone. As expected, here's the response to my request:

"Our policy is that we do not review files until we have all LSAT scores. Since we do not make decisions on a rolling admission basis, it is not first come, first serve, and when you apply or when your file is reviewed does not affect the outcome of your admission decision."

Here's to hoping for a decision anyway :)

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:32 pm

silverlake33 wrote:Thanks for the input, everyone. As expected, here's the response to my request:

"Our policy is that we do not review files until we have all LSAT scores. Since we do not make decisions on a rolling admission basis, it is not first come, first serve, and when you apply or when your file is reviewed does not affect the outcome of your admission decision."

Wait, they're NOT rolling? Then how the fuck did I get in so fast o_O

aesis

Postby aesis » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:23 pm

It's a modified rolling decision basis. You can take the February LSAT and still get in.

They receive around 8,500+ applications and admit around 1,400+, enroll about 300+. They admit very conservatively at first. So good for you because the money pot is still quite full at this point.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:07 pm

aesis wrote:It's a modified rolling decision basis. You can take the February LSAT and still get in.

They receive around 8,500+ applications and admit around 1,400+, enroll about 300+. They admit very conservatively at first. So good for you because the money pot is still quite full at this point.

Except it seems I got no money. So I'm realllllly confused.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:46 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
silverlake33 wrote:Thanks for the input, everyone. As expected, here's the response to my request:

Wait, they're NOT rolling? Then how the fuck did I get in so fast o_O

If they are not rolling, YP may be a real possibility then because they must have a yield formula that they will observe after viewing the whole pool. So target ranges (mid half) may indeed receive decisions faster than the top quarter.

deepdishpizza

Postby deepdishpizza » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:44 pm

I got accepted this past Monday. I got a phone call saying I was accepted within 3 days of my file becoming complete (which happened last Wednesday). it was kind of strange, really, how quickly I found out. but cool nonetheless! i'm dying to get to the west coast! :)
Last edited by deepdishpizza on Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:23 pm

deepdishpizza wrote:I got accepted this past Monday. 3.52/169. I got a phone call saying I was accepted within 3 days of my file becoming complete (which happened last Wednesday). it was kind of strange, really, how quickly I found out. but cool nonetheless! i'm dying to get to the west coast! :)

were you ED?

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:54 pm

I am in! I received the packet in the mail today. (I never received got a call. I don't know if they tried - my cell is usually off.) There is no mention of money. Bummer. I am RD and in-state.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:59 pm

sarahh wrote:I am in! I received the packet in the mail today. (I never received got a call. I don't know if they tried - my cell is usually off.) There is no mention of money. Bummer. I am RD and in-state.

Congrats!!

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:02 pm

sarahh wrote:I am in! I received the packet in the mail today. (I never received got a call. I don't know if they tried - my cell is usually off.) There is no mention of money. Bummer. I am RD and in-state.

Congrats! What part of Cali are you from?

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Knock wrote:

I am in the Bay Area.

Keats

Postby Keats » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:18 pm

I'm in as of 10/27. I was surprised to be admitted so early in the cycle, but haven't heard anything at all about scholarships. Not sure if that means I'm paying sticker or if I just need to be a little more patient.

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:18 pm

sarahh wrote:
Knock wrote:

I am in the Bay Area.

Congratulations! I'm in the Bay Area, too. Time to check the mail! :)

silly101

Postby silly101 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:40 pm

c
glitter178 wrote:
deepdishpizza wrote:I got accepted this past Monday. 3.52/169. I got a phone call saying I was accepted within 3 days of my file becoming complete (which happened last Wednesday). it was kind of strange, really, how quickly I found out. but cool nonetheless! i'm dying to get to the west coast! :)

were you ED?

curious too
that was super fast!
congrats!

deepdishpizza

Postby deepdishpizza » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:16 pm

I wasn't ED! but soooooo excited.

adamdroog

Postby adamdroog » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:28 pm

Based on last year, I expect some activity this week - especially for ED people.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:18 pm

I am ED, but below 25th on LSAT. I'd like something this week, even if it's a rejection e-mail, SOMETHING.

Out of curiosity, how is wait-list handled for ED, does anybody know? On the ED form it says that decisions can be accept, reject or wait-list and it brought an interesting thought to my mind... if they WL me on ED, and, say, Northwestern accepts me, and then UCLA pulls me off the WL, does that UCLA acceptance pre-empt the NW acceptance because it is/was ED? It seems like "wait list" and a binding "early decision" are mutually exclusive, since the idea of an early decision is so that you know where you're going early. A WL is just... a WL.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

wackyjack22

Postby wackyjack22 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:26 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I am ED, but below 25th on LSAT. I'd like something this week, even if it's a rejection e-mail, SOMETHING.

Out of curiosity, how is wait-list handled for ED, does anybody know? On the ED form it says that decisions can be accept, reject or wait-list and it brought an interesting thought to my mind... if they WL me on ED, and, say, Northwestern accepts me, and then UCLA pulls me off the WL, does that UCLA acceptance pre-empt the NW acceptance because it is/was ED? It seems like "wait list" and a binding "early decision" are mutually exclusive, since the idea of an early decision is so that you know where you're going early. A WL is just... a WL.

My guess is that you are no longer bound to UCLA. Most Early Decision contracts say that you are put into the regular admissions pool if you are wait listed. With that being said, it seems that you are no longer under any obligation because they didn't fulfill their promise to give you an "Early Decision".

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:27 pm

wackyjack22 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I am ED, but below 25th on LSAT. I'd like something this week, even if it's a rejection e-mail, SOMETHING.

My guess is that you are no longer bound to UCLA. Most Early Decision contracts say that you are put into the regular admissions pool if you are wait listed. With that being said, it seems that you are no longer under any obligation because they didn't fulfill their promise to give you an "Early Decision".

Unless their "early decision" was a "decision" to wait-list me, and it came "early." So whether I LIKE it or not, it was both early and a decision, so I am just stuck with their decision until they decide to make a new decision (accept or ding). Probably over thinking that one. LOL... but at this point I feel so mind-screwed that I hardly know which way is up anymore.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”