UCLA? 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
helloperson

Bronze

Re: UCLA? 2011

Post by helloperson » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:12 am

leopardRAWR wrote:
helloperson wrote:
leopardRAWR wrote:Congrats to all the recent admits and scholarship recipients!

Does anyone know whether UCLA will negotiate scholarships more than once? I don't currently have a scholarship offer from UCLA, but I have a nice one from UT that I'm hoping I could use to negotiate. I'm also anticipating hearing something (hopefully good!) about scholarships from USC and Vanderbilt in the next week or two and am wondering if I should just go ahead and try to negotiate now with just the UT offer, or wait to see what happens with Vandy and USC.

I feel like it would look greedy/a bit rude to keep coming back and saying "Thanks for the money last time, but school X just beat you, so can you give me more money again?" so my instinct is to wait a week or two to have all my offers on the table and only ask once. Then again, considering the funding issues they claim to be having with travel stipends, part of me says ask ASAP before money dries up. Any advice would be appreciated!
There is a danger in waiting in that they might run out of scholarship money.
So you think that I'm better off trying to negotiate with what I have now instead of waiting a few weeks to negotiate with a few more scholarships from peer schools?
I think you should negotiate now with the offers you have, and in the unlikely event that a comparable school offers you even more money than what you just negotiated, then should be the time to revisit. The worst they can do is say no; they aren't going to revoke your offer of acceptance, and unless you're either a real prick or outrageously personable, they probably won't even remember your name.

Just don't say anything stupid like, "if you don't match, I won't attend your school," unless you mean it.

leopardRAWR

Bronze

Post by leopardRAWR » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:52 am

helloperson wrote:
leopardRAWR wrote:
helloperson wrote:
leopardRAWR wrote:Congrats to all the recent admits and scholarship recipients!

Does anyone know whether UCLA will negotiate scholarships more than once? I don't currently have a scholarship offer from UCLA, but I have a nice one from UT that I'm hoping I could use to negotiate. I'm also anticipating hearing something (hopefully good!) about scholarships from USC and Vanderbilt in the next week or two and am wondering if I should just go ahead and try to negotiate now with just the UT offer, or wait to see what happens with Vandy and USC.

I feel like it would look greedy/a bit rude to keep coming back and saying "Thanks for the money last time, but school X just beat you, so can you give me more money again?" so my instinct is to wait a week or two to have all my offers on the table and only ask once. Then again, considering the funding issues they claim to be having with travel stipends, part of me says ask ASAP before money dries up. Any advice would be appreciated!
There is a danger in waiting in that they might run out of scholarship money.
So you think that I'm better off trying to negotiate with what I have now instead of waiting a few weeks to negotiate with a few more scholarships from peer schools?
I think you should negotiate now with the offers you have, and in the unlikely event that a comparable school offers you even more money than what you just negotiated, then should be the time to revisit. The worst they can do is say no; they aren't going to revoke your offer of acceptance, and unless you're either a real prick or outrageously personable, they probably won't even remember your name.

Just don't say anything stupid like, "if you don't match, I won't attend your school," unless you mean it.
Sounds like a good plan, thanks for the advice!

mdfreeman

New

Post by mdfreeman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:36 am

Just to anyone who's wondering and currently on the UCLA Waitlist like me.

Visited their admissions office last Friday. Was told by an admissions officer that they won't start looking at the waitlist until April 30th (first seat deposit) and that they won't even open any letters/material from WL people until the date.

On a side note though, it doesn't appear that they make any notice of you visiting their school unlike some other institutions.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:43 am

mdfreeman wrote:Just to anyone who's wondering and currently on the UCLA Waitlist like me.

Visited their admissions office last Friday. Was told by an admissions officer that they won't start looking at the waitlist until April 30th (first seat deposit) and that they won't even open any letters/material from WL people until the date.

On a side note though, it doesn't appear that they make any notice of you visiting their school unlike some other institutions.
I Smell Sabotage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chebbyshev

New

Post by chebbyshev » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:31 am

Just got my grant award today...a huge 1k PER YEAR so that means I'll be financing about 98% of law school with loans :(

Do I have any hope to get more $$ or should I just suck it up this year and renegotiate with my (hopefully) good grades in law school next year? I didn't even send the FAFSA to Boston or UC Davis because I haven't heard from them yet (and don't plan to attend), but if I get in does anyone think a private school like Boston could give me better financial aid and thus some negotiating power with UCLA? I don't know how generous they are with grants, but I'm guessing UC davis is about as good or worse since they are in the UC system as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mdfreeman

New

Post by mdfreeman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:23 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
mdfreeman wrote:Just to anyone who's wondering and currently on the UCLA Waitlist like me.

I Smell Sabotage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey that's just what the admissions officer told me. It was a relatively...unproductive visit.

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:26 pm

I sat on the UCLA waitlist til August last year. They are cold when you go to visit and could care less about you. It made me really not like the school.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:36 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:I sat on the UCLA waitlist til August last year. They are cold when you go to visit and could care less about you. It made me really not like the school.
They didn't bother to acknowledge my form and the accompanying questions. Did anyone receive a confirmation or something?

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:I sat on the UCLA waitlist til August last year. They are cold when you go to visit and could care less about you. It made me really not like the school.
They didn't bother to acknowledge my form and the accompanying questions. Did anyone receive a confirmation or something?
Like I said...they don't care. Not sure what is up with their admissions office. They act like it is a chore to speak to you. And you have to follow up for a confirmation. Phone is probably best since they can't avoid you

EDIT: I looked back into my waitlist last year and they did email me a confirmation after I faxed the form within a day after I emailed them asking for a confirmation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks, pimpsdontcry.

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:49 pm

IN!!!! Called just now! No $$.

apple1234

New

Post by apple1234 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:51 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:IN!!!! Called just now! No $$.
Congrats!!! :D

When did you go complete?

Hopefully I'm next haha
Last edited by apple1234 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanguar

Silver

Post by sanguar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:52 pm

Congrats!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:56 pm

apple1234 wrote:
Congrats!!! :D

When did you go complete?

Hopefully I'm next haha
Complete on 1/13

snichols16

Bronze

Post by snichols16 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:58 pm

My phone is on and sitting between my laptop and I.

Please call...

mikeydan5

New

Post by mikeydan5 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:59 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Like I said...they don't care. Not sure what is up with their admissions office. They act like it is a chore to speak to you. And you have to follow up for a confirmation. Phone is probably best since they can't avoid you

EDIT: I looked back into my waitlist last year and they did email me a confirmation after I faxed the form within a day after I emailed them asking for a confirmation.
I have had questions answered by three different people in the admissions office including Dean Schwartz, and all of them have been extremely helpful. Not sure who you are dealing with, but it is unfair to generalize about the whole admissions office.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:03 pm

mikeydan5 wrote: I have had questions answered by three different people in the admissions office including Dean Schwartz, and all of them have been extremely helpful. Not sure who you are dealing with, but it is unfair to generalize about the whole admissions office.
That's because you have been accepted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mikeydan5 wrote: I have had questions answered by three different people in the admissions office including Dean Schwartz, and all of them have been extremely helpful. Not sure who you are dealing with, but it is unfair to generalize about the whole admissions office.
THIS

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:11 pm

In a few hours ago, no $$, anyone get merit offers after the initial phone call?

sanguar

Silver

Post by sanguar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:14 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
THIS
LOL now that you're in you should start calling them just to get the "good customer service".

FWIW, I never had any contact with them prior to being admitted, so I have no basis at all for comparison, but every dealing I've had with UCLA's offices (admissions office, housing, financial aid) have been really positive.

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:22 pm

sanguar wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
THIS
LOL now that you're in you should start calling them just to get the "good customer service".

FWIW, I never had any contact with them prior to being admitted, so I have no basis at all for comparison, but every dealing I've had with UCLA's offices (admissions office, housing, financial aid) have been really positive.
I'm sure...once you are in. He seemed more than willing to help me now. But before? They did not respond. Was like pulling teeth.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sanguar

Silver

Post by sanguar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:38 pm

askyemcdonald wrote: I'm sure...once you are in. He seemed more than willing to help me now. But before? They did not respond. Was like pulling teeth.
That's really obnoxious. I think I would, in your shoes, just start calling them constantly now just to "feel the love".

bobbyjohnson

New

Post by bobbyjohnson » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:25 pm

In via phone call. Applied Early December.

aryathegreat

New

Post by aryathegreat » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Just WL'd by email. 165, 4.0. Sad times. Seems like my chances of getting off the list are bleak at best.

helloperson

Bronze

Post by helloperson » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:40 pm

aryathegreat wrote:Just WL'd by email. 165, 4.0. Sad times. Seems like my chances of getting off the list are bleak at best.
when did you apply

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”