UCLA? 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pereira6

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby pereira6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
sanguar wrote:And "yes" to drinking!

Lol, have fun at all 3 of the bars in Westwood...

Aren't there lots of clubs though? I'm completely uninformed about Los Angeles, and obviously it's a big city, but isn't it a hoppin' place?

mr_toad wrote:
pereira6 wrote:UCLA threw me 8,660 in need-based for the first year. Nice. My finances won't be changing at all for three years, so 26,000 over 3 years would be sick!

Wow, add that to your scholly and it's practically free tuition, right? congrats!

Well, I'm OOS, so it's 50k a year tuition haha. At other schools, it would be free!

It is about 70% of tuition, which is nice...if I get an in-state waiver for 2L and 3L it would be about 85%.

ATR

Postby ATR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:09 pm

pereira6 wrote:
mr_toad wrote:
pereira6 wrote:UCLA threw me 8,660 in need-based for the first year. Nice. My finances won't be changing at all for three years, so 26,000 over 3 years would be sick!

Wow, add that to your scholly and it's practically free tuition, right? congrats!

Well, I'm OOS, so it's 50k a year tuition haha. At other schools, it would be free!

It is about 70% of tuition, which is nice...if I get an in-state waiver for 2L and 3L it would be about 85%.

From what I understand, need-based aid does not get added to your scholarship; rather, it helps meet your scholarship amount.

--ImageRemoved--

Sorry to burst your bubble -- I'm OOS, too, and received both a need-based grant and a scholarship. At least it's easy to establish residency in CA to get in-state tuition during the 2L and 3L years.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:14 pm

ATR wrote:From what I understand, need-based aid does not get added to your scholarship; rather, it helps meet your scholarship amount.

--ImageRemoved--

Sorry to burst your bubble -- I'm OOS, too, and received both a need-based grant and a scholarship. At least it's easy to establish residency in CA to get in-state tuition during the 2L and 3L years.

I have not received my hard copy letter yet. My 86.5k was given over the phone (and Dean Schwartz said the need-based decision will come later), and the 8.6k in need-based was just given to me via e-mail. I assumed that it would be put on top.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:15 pm

pereira6 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:

Aren't there lots of clubs though? I'm completely uninformed about Los Angeles, and obviously it's a big city, but isn't it a hoppin' place?

Haha, not in Westwood. There are clubs in Hollywood (20 min. taxi $20 each way). You can also find good spots Downtown, West Hollywood, or west of campus in Santa Monica/Venice. But since L.A. has the worst public transit ever, getting around town is an expensive nightmare.

For people like you and me not originally from SoCal and/or familiar with UCLA, the most shocking thing is to find out that UCLA is essentially a commuter school. The people here are noticeably more lame than at comparable universities. Of course this might be a good thing for law school, but to anyone expecting a killer social life down here, temper those expectations.

ATR

Postby ATR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:20 pm

pereira6 wrote:
ATR wrote:From what I understand, need-based aid does not get added to your scholarship; rather, it helps meet your scholarship amount.

--ImageRemoved--

I have not received my hard copy letter yet. My 86.5k was given over the phone (and Dean Schwartz said the need-based decision will come later), and the 8.6k in need-based was just given to me via e-mail. I assumed that it would be put on top.

Ah, I guess the scholarships may have different conditions. I got a $105k scholarship, which stipulates (as you see above) that the award includes "any need-based law grant you may receive from the UCLA School of Law." So, for me, my need-based grant will just be used to meet the $105k; it will not be added on top of my merit award. For your sake, I hope the conditions of your scholarship are different than mine.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Last edited by sanguar on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silverlake33

Postby silverlake33 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:24 pm

I sent a request for ASD travel $ on Friday that got shot down today : ( (flying in) I should have emailed earlier.

But then I got another email fron fin aid with a grant of $20,000 per year! SO happy!!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:26 pm

silverlake33 wrote:I sent a request for ASD travel $ on Friday that got shot down today : ( (flying in) I should have emailed earlier.

But then I got another email fron fin aid with a grant of $20,000 per year! SO happy!!

The ASD money and their double standards still annoy me a bit. Sorry about that!

AWESOME offer! Do you also have a large scholarship?

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:27 pm

From what I understand, need-based aid does not get added to your scholarship; rather, it helps meet your scholarship amount.

--ImageRemoved--

I'm not sure that's true, though now I'm petrified enough to call and ask. They just sent me an email today offering me approx $16,000 for the first year in need-based aid, and it would be outstanding if that was added on top of the $ they offered earlier.

But I'm also not sure that interpretation makes any sense. I see how it is in the language of that letter - the relevant passage is not at all clearly written and certainly suggests that your interpretation is correct. But it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to offer merit-scholarships with the offer of admission, then tell you later that, because you're "poor enough" for need-based money, they're going to offer you $X in need-based money and deduct $X from your merit-offer.

Edited to add: I'm going to go look at the text of my letter now. But as somebody said above, I suppose it is possible that different people have different language in their letters, indicating different conditions. Odd.
Last edited by sanguar on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ATR

Postby ATR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:30 pm

sanguar wrote:I'm not sure that's true, though now I'm petrified enough to call and ask. They just sent me an email today offering me approx $16,000 for the first year in need-based aid, and it would be outstanding if that was added on top of the $ they offered earlier.

But I'm also not sure that interpretation makes any sense. I see how it is in the language of that letter - the relevant passage is not at all clearly written and certainly suggests that your interpretation is correct. But it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to offer merit-scholarships with the offer of admission, then tell you later that, because you're "poor enough" for need-based money, they're going to offer you $X in need-based money and deduct $X from your merit-offer.

I hope you're correct -- I haven't called the admissions office, either -- but it does seem clear from the letter that need-based grants will not supplement scholarships (well, at least the one I received). Please let us know what you hear about the issue if/when you call. I can't right now, since I'm at work.

silverlake33

Postby silverlake33 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:38 pm

pereira6 wrote:
silverlake33 wrote:I sent a request for ASD travel $ on Friday that got shot down today : ( (flying in) I should have emailed earlier.

The ASD money and their double standards still annoy me a bit. Sorry about that!

Yeah, I'm going from the east coast so I was really hoping for a bit of cash.

No scholarship, just based off need access : )

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Just got off the phone with them. Yes, the need-based grant is in addition to the merit-based scholarship, not part of it. So, for instance, if they offered you $105,000 over three years, and offered you another $X for the first year in need-based money, you're now sitting on top of a $105,000 + X offer.

I mentioned the misleading passage in the admission letter and they said that they are aware of it.

ATR

Postby ATR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:53 pm

sanguar wrote:Just got off the phone with them. Yes, the need-based grant is in addition to the merit-based scholarship, not part of it. So, for instance, if they offered you $105,000 over three years, and offered you another $X for the first year in need-based money, you're now sitting on top of a $105,000 + X offer.

I mentioned the misleading passage in the admission letter and they said that they are aware of it.

Great news! Thanks for getting back to us.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:59 pm

ATR wrote:
sanguar wrote:Just got off the phone with them. Yes, the need-based grant is in addition to the merit-based scholarship, not part of it. So, for instance, if they offered you $105,000 over three years, and offered you another $X for the first year in need-based money, you're now sitting on top of a $105,000 + X offer.

Great news! Thanks for getting back to us.

No problem. And serious congrats on your recent KA-CHING!!

ATR

Postby ATR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:04 pm

sanguar wrote:No problem. And serious congrats on your recent KA-CHING!!

Thanks! UCLA's definitely in my top three schools at the moment, so your update was well-received.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:05 pm

silverlake33 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

Yeah, I'm going from the east coast so I was really hoping for a bit of cash.

No scholarship, just based off need access : )

So you only have the 20k per year? Still a great deal though!

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:39 pm

Cade McNown wrote:

That's okay, getting thrown out of 3 bars in one night will probably be enough for me.

For people getting need-based awards, when did you submit FAFSA/NeedAccess?

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:48 pm

Need access before the Feb. 1st UChicago deadline. FAFSA about a week later. I think I got the complete email on that one mid-February.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:08 pm

IN today around 4.45 west coast time!!!

No mention of $$ though (I will definitely be negotiating this week + doing need access TONIGHT)

Just to confirm, has anyone ever not had money mentioned in the call but gotten a merit scholly?

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:45 pm

JJDancer wrote:IN today around 4.45 west coast time!!!

No mention of $$ though (I will definitely be negotiating this week + doing need access TONIGHT)

Just to confirm, has anyone ever not had money mentioned in the call but gotten a merit scholly?

congrats! :)

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:54 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:

That's okay, getting thrown out of 3 bars in one night will probably be enough for me.

For people getting need-based awards, when did you submit FAFSA/NeedAccess?

FAFSA today, needaccess about a month ago

ATR

Postby ATR » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:58 am

JJDancer wrote:Just to confirm, has anyone ever not had money mentioned in the call but gotten a merit scholly?

I can only speak for myself, but I did receive information about my scholarship during the acceptance call.

leopardRAWR

Postby leopardRAWR » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:03 am

Congrats to all the recent admits and scholarship recipients!

Does anyone know whether UCLA will negotiate scholarships more than once? I don't currently have a scholarship offer from UCLA, but I have a nice one from UT that I'm hoping I could use to negotiate. I'm also anticipating hearing something (hopefully good!) about scholarships from USC and Vanderbilt in the next week or two and am wondering if I should just go ahead and try to negotiate now with just the UT offer, or wait to see what happens with Vandy and USC.

I feel like it would look greedy/a bit rude to keep coming back and saying "Thanks for the money last time, but school X just beat you, so can you give me more money again?" so my instinct is to wait a week or two to have all my offers on the table and only ask once. Then again, considering the funding issues they claim to be having with travel stipends, part of me says ask ASAP before money dries up. Any advice would be appreciated!

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:05 am

leopardRAWR wrote:Congrats to all the recent admits and scholarship recipients!

Does anyone know whether UCLA will negotiate scholarships more than once? I don't currently have a scholarship offer from UCLA, but I have a nice one from UT that I'm hoping I could use to negotiate. I'm also anticipating hearing something (hopefully good!) about scholarships from USC and Vanderbilt in the next week or two and am wondering if I should just go ahead and try to negotiate now with just the UT offer, or wait to see what happens with Vandy and USC.

I feel like it would look greedy/a bit rude to keep coming back and saying "Thanks for the money last time, but school X just beat you, so can you give me more money again?" so my instinct is to wait a week or two to have all my offers on the table and only ask once. Then again, considering the funding issues they claim to be having with travel stipends, part of me says ask ASAP before money dries up. Any advice would be appreciated!

There is a danger in waiting in that they might run out of scholarship money.

leopardRAWR

Postby leopardRAWR » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:08 am

helloperson wrote:
leopardRAWR wrote:Congrats to all the recent admits and scholarship recipients!

There is a danger in waiting in that they might run out of scholarship money.

So you think that I'm better off trying to negotiate with what I have now instead of waiting a few weeks to negotiate with a few more scholarships from peer schools?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”