UCLA? 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
EverTrue

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby EverTrue » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:01 pm

yellowmellow wrote:
rupret1 wrote:I'm still complete as of 10/25 with nothing but crickets. Anyone else in that time frame still heard nothing? (of course, I'll probably get waitlisted in the next hour just for having put this out there.)

Me. I've been complete since 10/08 and havent heard anything since

Submitted 11/22, Complete 11/30. Radio silence ever since. I like to think that means they're giving my application a thorough evaluation and they'll soon realize how great a fit we are for each other. :) Here's hoping...

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:31 pm

EverTrue wrote:
yellowmellow wrote:
rupret1 wrote:I'm still complete as of 10/25 with nothing but crickets. Anyone else in that time frame still heard nothing? (of course, I'll probably get waitlisted in the next hour just for having put this out there.)

Me. I've been complete since 10/08 and havent heard anything since

Submitted 11/22, Complete 11/30. Radio silence ever since. I like to think that means they're giving my application a thorough evaluation and they'll soon realize how great a fit we are for each other. :) Here's hoping...

Met with adcomm officer today. I applied in october and his response was that things look bleak for me, if he were a betting man he said "waitlist", but that's just me and my crummy application.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:39 pm

They told me today I can have 200$ towards my UCLA visit on April 10th. Considering they gave many other (scholarship) admittances full ride visits, it makes me grumpy. But I'm glad to have something! Hopefully it doesn't end up being too expensive.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:11 pm

pereira6 wrote:They told me today I can have 200$ towards my UCLA visit on April 10th. Considering they gave many other (scholarship) admittances full ride visits, it makes me grumpy. But I'm glad to have something! Hopefully it doesn't end up being too expensive.

If you're looking to minimize expenses, there's a Hosteling International hostel in Santa Monica. It's by far and away the cheapest lodging I could find in the area (and it's not listed on UCLA's list of suggestions for places to stay). It's a bus-ride to campus, but the next cheapest place to stay was more than twice as expensive. And it's not like it's prohibitively far away from the school.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:12 pm

sanguar wrote:
If you're looking to minimize expenses, there's a Hosteling International hostel in Santa Monica. It's by far and away the cheapest lodging I could find in the area (and it's not listed on UCLA's list of suggestions for places to stay). It's a bus-ride to campus, but the next cheapest place to stay was more than twice as expensive. And it's not like it's prohibitively far away from the school.

I've never stayed in a hostel before. What is that one like? PM me if you prefer :)

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:17 pm

pereira6 wrote:They told me today I can have 200$ towards my UCLA visit on April 10th. Considering they gave many other (scholarship) admittances full ride visits, it makes me grumpy. But I'm glad to have something! Hopefully it doesn't end up being too expensive.

That sucks. I can't figure out what criteria they use to decide who to cover and for what.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:21 pm

pereira6 wrote:
I've never stayed in a hostel before. What is that one like? PM me if you prefer.

I've never stayed in this particular one before, though it looks nice enough on the website. I've stayed in enough other hostels in various places to have something of an informed take though. In general, they're not particularly glamorous, but hardly bad places to stay by any stretch. Cheapest options typically involve a bed in a room with some number of other people in the same room (which may not always be taken by anybody, if the place isn't fully booked). Some have a small rec room (from the website, this one appears to have a pretty good one - few pool tables at least), and a lobby/lounge area. Shared bathrooms usually, though sometimes the set-up differs. Some places have bathrooms for every room and you're sharing with whoever else is staying in your room. Other places have one or two bathrooms to serve a floor. It's a lot like dormitory living actually. Reasonably clean, not much more than a place to lie lay your head and kill some time if necessary.

This particular one offers a locker of sorts by your bed (supply your own lock or buy one for $5 I think), and extra locker storage in the lobby ($5 per day) for keeping your stuff during the day.

Here's the link in case you're interested. They've got some pictures on the website. Looks like a fairly nice hostel actually.
http://www.hilosangeles.org/

Edited to add: actually, I just read through the website more carefully and, by my not-super-extensive-but-not-insignificant hostel experience, this one looks really nice.
Last edited by sanguar on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:24 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

That sucks. I can't figure out what criteria they use to decide who to cover and for what.

Based on what Dean Schwartz told me on the phone, they were just losing money. I think they spent way more money than they thought they would. Usually I'm the one playing the "chill out, law schools know what they're doing" card, but it's borderline offensive to give some people stipends and others not (with the assumption of course, of holding scholarship awards constant, and that scholarship award amounts are indicative of applicants of similar quality--in other words, a 50k scholarship winner getting a full stipend where another 50k scholarship winner getting nothing makes no sense if the 50k is meant to also insinuate that the two applicants are identical/similar).

I don't mean to bitch or sound egregiously upset; just a little grumpy as I indicated in my first post :P

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:32 pm

sanguar wrote:
pereira6 wrote:
I've never stayed in a hostel before. What is that one like? PM me if you prefer.

I've never stayed in this particular one before, though it looks nice enough on the website. I've stayed in enough other hostels in various places to have something of an informed take though. In general, they're not particularly glamorous, but hardly bad places to stay by any stretch. Cheapest options typically involve a bed in a room with some number of other people in the same room (which may not always be taken by anybody, if the place isn't fully booked). Some have a small rec room (from the website, this one appears to have a pretty good one - few pool tables at least), and a lobby/lounge area. Shared bathrooms usually, though sometimes the set-up differs. Some places have bathrooms for every room and you're sharing with whoever else is staying in your room. Other places have one or two bathrooms to serve a floor. It's a lot like dormitory living actually. Reasonably clean, not much more than a place to lie lay your head and kill some time if necessary.

This particular one offers a locker of sorts by your bed (supply your own lock or buy one for $5 I think), and extra locker storage in the lobby ($5 per day) for keeping your stuff during the day.

Here's the link in case you're interested. They've got some pictures on the website. Looks like a fairly nice hostel actually.

Edited to add: actually, I just read through the website more carefully and, by my not-super-extensive-but-not-insignificant hostel experience, this one looks really nice.

I think I'll book it. I definitely don't mind people, I'm only there one night, and as long as I have a bathroom I'm fine. I'd like to do something fun on Saturday night in LA (I'm ridiculously excited about going to LA, as I'm from Buffalo and haven't really traveled much), so it really would only be a place to crash and get to the school.

As long as it has decent transportation to/from LAX and UCLA, I'm comfortable with that. Maybe other TLSers will join me?

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:35 pm

pereira6 wrote:
I think I'll book it. I definitely don't mind people, I'm only there one night, and as long as I have a bathroom I'm fine. I'd like to do something fun on Saturday night in LA (I'm ridiculously excited about going to LA, as I'm from Buffalo and haven't really traveled much), so it really would only be a place to crash and get to the school.

As long as it has decent transportation to/from LAX and UCLA, I'm comfortable with that. Maybe other TLSers will join me?

I haven't figured out all the transportation (yet), but it looks like the bus system in the area is pretty good. I'm already booked to stay there, so at least I'll be joining you. Would be great for others to be there too!

Edited to add: Just found the part on the hostel's website detailing how to get there from LAX. Looks pretty easy. And from the hostel to UCLA looked pretty easy by bus too last time I looked at it.
Last edited by sanguar on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:35 pm

pereira6 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Based on what Dean Schwartz told me on the phone, they were just losing money. I think they spent way more money than they thought they would. Usually I'm the one playing the "chill out, law schools know what they're doing" card, but it's borderline offensive to give some people stipends and others not (with the assumption of course, of holding scholarship awards constant, and that scholarship award amounts are indicative of applicants of similar quality--in other words, a 50k scholarship winner getting a full stipend where another 50k scholarship winner getting nothing makes no sense if the 50k is meant to also insinuate that the two applicants are identical/similar).

I don't mean to bitch or sound egregiously upset; just a little grumpy as I indicated in my first post :P

I'm glad they were willing to cover my flight, considering my numbers twins on LSN got a slightly larger scholly than me. :|

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:25 pm

pereira6 wrote:
sanguar wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

You should check out My Father's Office in Santa Monica. It's a pretty happenin' bar with a good beer selection.

aaaaaah

Postby aaaaaah » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:34 pm

Yeah, I got the $200 offer, too. I was initially pretty bummed that I couldn't get a full reimbursement, but I was able to find a flight for $275, so I'm pretty damn happy with their offer.

That hostel looks like a great option! Thanks for posting, Sanguar. I'm definitely considering this now.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:13 am

helloperson wrote:
pereira6 wrote:
sanguar wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

You should check out My Father's Office in Santa Monica. It's a pretty happenin' bar with a good beer selection.

I agree, you should check out Father's Office (not "My"). Also, if you're staying in that hostel in downtown Santa Monica, you'll be close to Chloe, which is a cool little spot. Also, take a cab over to Abbot Kinney Blvd in Venice and hit The Otheroom, Tasting Kitchen, and all of the taco trucks that will be out.

plurilingue

Postby plurilingue » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:24 am

Last edited by plurilingue on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:30 pm

plurilingue wrote:Public transit to/from Santa Monica from LAX is pretty easy via the Big Blue Bus if I recall correctly; to UCLA, incredibly simple via the FlyAway to Westwood (wi-fi enabled), which drops you off next to campus. While difficult in comparison to San Francisco or New York City, LA's Westside still has plenty of decent public transit options if you figure it out ahead of time.

And yes, going out on Saturday evening and nursing your hangover at Urth Caffè on Melrose Ave the next morning is obligatory =]

That figuring things out ahead of time part is key as Westside gridlock can make getting even from Santa Monica to Westwood a giant pain. I wouldn't recommend trying to head east from around 4-7 PM. Last week it took me about 1 hour to get from the Santa Monica Public Library to Westwood and that's not atypical.

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:34 pm

chasgoose wrote:
plurilingue wrote:Public transit to/from Santa Monica from LAX is pretty easy via the Big Blue Bus if I recall correctly; to UCLA, incredibly simple via the FlyAway to Westwood (wi-fi enabled), which drops you off next to campus. While difficult in comparison to San Francisco or New York City, LA's Westside still has plenty of decent public transit options if you figure it out ahead of time.

And yes, going out on Saturday evening and nursing your hangover at Urth Caffè on Melrose Ave the next morning is obligatory =]

That figuring things out ahead of time part is key as Westside gridlock can make getting even from Santa Monica to Westwood a giant pain. I wouldn't recommend trying to head east from around 4-7 PM. Last week it took me about 1 hour to get from the Santa Monica Public Library to Westwood and that's not atypical.

This sounds about right. Schedule your flight to get in before 3:30 if possible, and try not to be on the roads between 4 and 7 30. A fifteen minute drive can take an hour and a half.

tlabrum3

Postby tlabrum3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:31 pm

How to they notify you of acceptances, WL, or denials? Sounds like you get a phone call for the first. Is it email of snail mail for the other two?

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:58 pm

tlabrum3 wrote:How to they notify you of acceptances, WL, or denials? Sounds like you get a phone call for the first. Is it email of snail mail for the other two?

Email for WL and rejects.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:37 pm

Anyone have a schedule for UCLA's march admitted students event? Also, if there is a part of the event that involves drinking, everyone down for some drinking?

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:27 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Anyone have a schedule for UCLA's march admitted students event? Also, if there is a part of the event that involves drinking, everyone down for some drinking?

I couldn't find a schedule online, so I emailed them and asked what, if anything, they had planned, because the only thing I saw was the invite to the "reception" that looked like it lasted 4 hours or so. Here's what they emailed back:

"there will be optional tours of the law school, a registration/refreshments portion, a mock class, a Q&A session with current students, info sessions on financial aid & the office of career services, a welcome from the Dean, and a reception with current students, faculty and alums. We do not have formal events scheduled during the day on March 14th; however, we would be happy to arrange a tour for you and class visit that day before the official Welcome Reception event begins. We have a pre-set tour at 12:30 that day followed by a class visit of a first-year property class."

And "yes" to drinking!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:59 pm

UCLA threw me 8,660 in need-based for the first year. Nice. My finances won't be changing at all for three years, so 26,000 over 3 years would be sick!

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:01 pm

ANY NEW ADMITS OUT THERE!?!?

So quiet....

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:03 pm

sanguar wrote:And "yes" to drinking!

Lol, have fun at all 3 of the bars in Westwood...

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:04 pm

pereira6 wrote:UCLA threw me 8,660 in need-based for the first year. Nice. My finances won't be changing at all for three years, so 26,000 over 3 years would be sick!

Wow, add that to your scholly and it's practically free tuition, right? congrats!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”