UCLA? 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vegenator

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby vegenator » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:57 pm

bhan87 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
vegenator wrote:I know a few pages back someone was asking if anyone else had success negotiating $ at ucla based on texas offers. I emailed dean Schwartz a copy of my offers at Texas (76.5), Michigan (45k), wustl (129k) and uiuc (120k) a few weeks ago and was just offered 67.5 k at ucla. Negotiating works! :mrgreen:

congrats!

Nice job!

Are you considering taking UCLA over Michigan?

I'm still leaning towered Michigan as col is cheaper and it's higher ranked, but I would like to end up in ca eventually so I still have some thinking to do. I just wanted to post my success to let others know it works and that if you have other offers you really should try to leverage them. And thanks everyone!

pennyloafer17

Postby pennyloafer17 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:22 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:
sanguar wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:Just got a $12K need access grant from UCLA.

Considering I was expecting NOTHING---this is AWESOME. Definitely tips me towards to UCLA. YOUR MOVE CORNELL.

Congrats!! If you don't mind my asking, how long ago did you submit your NeedAccess?

A week ago.

did you get an email confirming your finaid stuff was all submitted?

There was no confirmation email. The only email I received was the email with the grant award:)

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:36 pm

well i suppose that does not bode well for me, i submitted fafsa/needaccess early february and have yet to hear anything back :(

yellowmellow

Postby yellowmellow » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:07 pm

rupret1 wrote:I'm still complete as of 10/25 with nothing but crickets. Anyone else in that time frame still heard nothing? (of course, I'll probably get waitlisted in the next hour just for having put this out there.)

Me. I've been complete since 10/08 and havent heard anything since

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:56 pm

I FINALLY COME TO THIS THREAD WITH NEWS!

Accepted on the phone at 4:00 PM Eastern! $87,500 with it! Oh HELL yeah!

Sent 11/17

Complete 11/23

Decision today! Numbers/LSN in profile.

USC: YOUR MOVE, BROSKI!

P.S.: Asked about travel stipends, and Dean Schwartz said that they are running low on funds (thanks for taking forever, UCLA), but if I send in a request today AND go to one of their ASWs (not just a random visit), they'll see what they can do.

He also mentioned info about the need-based process. He said as long as the needaccess is in (it is), then they will make a need-based offer by next Friday. He said the FAFSA and related materials are necessary, but they go on the needaccess primarily and that's what they use for the decision. Everything else is just kind of a confirmation of your "neediness" :)

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Congrats homie!

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:08 pm

pereira6 wrote:I FINALLY COME TO THIS THREAD WITH NEWS!

Sent 11/17

Complete 11/23

P.S.: Asked about travel stipends, and Dean Schwartz said that they are running low on funds (thanks for taking forever, UCLA), but if I send in a request today AND go to one of their ASWs (not just a random visit), they'll see what they can do.

He also mentioned info about the need-based process. He said as long as the needaccess is in (it is), then they will make a need-based offer by next Friday. He said the FAFSA and related materials are necessary, but they go on the needaccess primarily and that's what they use for the decision. Everything else is just kind of a confirmation of your "neediness" :)

WOW! Huge congratulations!

Not a UCLA alum but I live in Westwood now and though not the most exciting college town its a very very nice place to live.

I went complete around the same time and was thinking of writing a LOCI its been so long. Glad to see people are still getting in and getting $. Also I've seen you in this thread forever - so very happy for your success!

khodorko

Postby khodorko » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:08 pm

pereira6 wrote:I FINALLY COME TO THIS THREAD WITH NEWS!

Sent 11/17

Complete 11/23

Dude, seriously fantastic. Props to you for giving us all hope!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Thank you all, thank you! I am really excited about a UCLA/USC decision + scholarship decision because I know it has been absolutely nothing but crickets in these threads as far as decisions are concerned.

It's also a lot harder than I thought to pretend to be surprised when your phone tells you a California number is calling you (and you don't have any friends/family in Cali), so you already know it's UCLA giving you good news! (The scholarship was pretty sick, though!)

Finally, this Upstate New York homebody (who has been freezing all winter...)has a reason to see LOS ANGELES!!! Lakers Blakers game, anyone?

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:21 pm

pereira6 wrote:Thank you all, thank you! I am really excited about a UCLA/USC decision + scholarship decision because I know it has been absolutely nothing but crickets in these threads as far as decisions are concerned.

It's also a lot harder than I thought to pretend to be surprised when your phone tells you a California number is calling you (and you don't have any friends/family in Cali), so you already know it's UCLA giving you good news! (The scholarship was pretty sick, though!)

Finally, this Upstate New York homebody (who has been freezing all winter...)has a reason to see LOS ANGELES!!! Lakers Blakers game, anyone?

congrats!! would you take USC/UCLA over Penn? Interesting that they're 'getting low on funds'...

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:25 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
pereira6 wrote:Thank you all, thank you! I am really excited about a UCLA/USC decision + scholarship decision because I know it has been absolutely nothing but crickets in these threads as far as decisions are concerned.

congrats!! would you take USC/UCLA over Penn? Interesting that they're 'getting low on funds'...

Yeah, weird on the funds thing. Makes me a little ticked that they would take a long time to make a decision on a scholarship-receiving admittance, and therefore causing that (very excited) applicant to perhaps not have sufficient funds to make a visit.

As for Penn, I am not sure I want to pay sticker price for a school anything lower ranked than Stanford. I go back and forth every day, but I am not even going to come close to thinking about it until my cycle is all over. I can make that decision fairly quickly. Also, Penn hasn't made their scholarship decisions yet so that could turn out awesome as well.

Right now, it's a tie between Penn, UCLA, Texas, and Illinois. Indiana is not terribly far behind.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:39 pm

i just got a finaid email saying the deadline to apply for finaid is March 2nd. Guess I need to send them an e-mail.

casterfield

Postby casterfield » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Just got waitlisted. Kinda disappointing.

originalmutt

Postby originalmutt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:23 pm

Just wait listed, which was the best I could have hoped for.

FF55

Postby FF55 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:32 pm

Waitlisted as well. Completely predictable and yet I'm still pretty torn up over this one. :(

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:13 pm

Hey waitlist people, don't you dare leave this thread without posting your application dates!

originalmutt

Postby originalmutt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:14 pm

I went complete sometime mid-December.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:16 pm

hipstermafia wrote:i just got a finaid email saying the deadline to apply for finaid is March 2nd. Guess I need to send them an e-mail.

got it too and have already gotten my finaid package. I think they just sent it to everyone admitted as a reminder.

casterfield

Postby casterfield » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:17 pm

helloperson wrote:Hey waitlist people, don't you dare leave this thread without posting your application dates!

Mid-December. MEhhhhHH!!!!!!

UA7789

Postby UA7789 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:22 pm

I called the admission office today, because I still hadn't gone complete and they apologized and were unsure what happened, but told me I would receive a decision by the end of April. Just an updated timeline for anyone wondering! I applied early January.

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:43 pm

Sorry, I am too lazy to read all the way back through the thread--does a scholarship offer come in the fat admitted envelope, or as a separate letter? They didn't mention $$ on the phone, and there's nothing in the package I got yesterday...does that mean I didn't get offered anything? If so, I'm withdrawing, I guess.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:30 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:Sorry, I am too lazy to read all the way back through the thread--does a scholarship offer come in the fat admitted envelope, or as a separate letter? They didn't mention $$ on the phone, and there's nothing in the package I got yesterday...does that mean I didn't get offered anything? If so, I'm withdrawing, I guess.

Pretty sure that means no merit aid, though you could negotiate.
Also, they offer some need aid if you qualify.

samilabuena

Postby samilabuena » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:33 pm

Just got an email that they received my LOCI and have updated my file. I can expect a decision by the end of April.... which is after most first deposits are due and a full 6 months after I submitted. I REALLY hope to hear something - anything - well before then.

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:07 pm

JJDancer wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:Sorry, I am too lazy to read all the way back through the thread--does a scholarship offer come in the fat admitted envelope, or as a separate letter? They didn't mention $$ on the phone, and there's nothing in the package I got yesterday...does that mean I didn't get offered anything? If so, I'm withdrawing, I guess.

Pretty sure that means no merit aid, though you could negotiate.
Also, they offer some need aid if you qualify.

+1. I posted on the previous page about how I negotiated 67.5k from no initial offer. Good luck!

HNSA15

Postby HNSA15 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:57 pm

hey guys...I got the call from Dean Schwartz yesterday afternoon...PM me for stats. He didn't mention any money, though. Do you guys know if him not mentioning money means that I didn't get a scholarship, or could it be that ill be notified in my formal acceptance letter?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”