UCLA? 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
whereto4law

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby whereto4law » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:47 am

WL via e-mail last night

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:12 pm

What the hell is UCLA doing with my application that was complete 12/1 ?!?!

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:16 pm

Gotti wrote:What the hell is UCLA doing with my application that was complete 12/1 ?!?!

Gotti, you are far too impatient in too many threads. It takes a long time for most schools for most applicants. People want it to be holistic AND they want it to be now, which doesn't work well. I have been complete for three more weeks than you at UCLA. At least we haven't been rejected or waitlisted. Concentrate on the important things in your everyday life. You'll be dealt with soon enough. I understand your impatience and this IS the proper place for it (i.e., better than than pissing off people IRL with things they don't probably don't really get), but misplaced impatience might lead to unnecessary stress. Find your zen, or a penguin-filled happy place. Just friendly advice.

originalmutt

Postby originalmutt » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:30 pm

mr_toad wrote:
Gotti wrote:What the hell is UCLA doing with my application that was complete 12/1 ?!?!

Gotti, you are far too impatient in too many threads. It takes a long time for most schools for most applicants. People want it to be holistic AND they want it to be now, which doesn't work well. I have been complete for three more weeks than you at UCLA. At least we haven't been rejected or waitlisted. Concentrate on the important things in your everyday life. You'll be dealt with soon enough. I understand your impatience and this IS the proper place for it (i.e., better than than pissing off people IRL with things they don't probably don't really get), but misplaced impatience might lead to unnecessary stress. Find your zen, or a penguin-filled happy place. Just friendly advice.

+1

A lot of folks needs to chill out. I don't know if its just 22-year-old immaturity but there is a lot of whining on these boards. I, for one, prefer a more thorough review, even if it is somewhat convenient.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Aargh. Quoted before could edit my double-don't grammar mistake. Oh well....

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:34 pm

originalmutt wrote:
mr_toad wrote:

+1

A lot of folks needs to chill out. I don't know if its just 22-year-old immaturity but there is a lot of whining on these boards. I, for one, prefer a more thorough review, even if it is somewhat convenient.

Disagree that it's whining. People are just anxious to embark on a new chapter in their lives, so they become a little neurotic. Understandable, and I believe it isn't a product of someone being 22 years old. It happens to a lot of people on the forums. It would be nice for people to know what new city they might be living in this Fall, and what institution they will be studying at. It's normal...keep it moving people.

ETA: And originalmutt, you quoted Gotti and got on her about patience, but you posted something almost identical in the USC thread. Like I said, the impatience happens to a lot of people on the forums...

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:37 pm

originalmutt wrote:
mr_toad wrote:

+1

Get off Gotti's back.

Sure, I'm all for a thorough review if it is somewhat convenient as you said. This is not. Most law school applicants are going to be relocating to go to school. This can be a time consuming process. You have to find a place to live, you have to terminate your employment, you have to pack up all your belongings. I would certainly love to hear back from the schools I applied to.

What is the good of applying before Thanksgiving if they can't be bothered to take action on your application for another THREE MONTHS. That is a bit longer than it should take for a "thorough review." Further, many other schools are able to conduct equally thorough reviews and get back to applicants in a far shorter time span.

So yeah, I'm a little annoyed not to have heard back yet. I agree with Gotti. I think it is a bit absurd to say that a law school admissions decision should take ~3 months.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:38 pm

I don't see it as whining, either, although sometimes it does come across that way. My point is just that the energy directed toward this impatience or, perhaps, due to this impatience, could probably be spent on better things. This is partially also self-directed criticism, but I'm a lot less open on the boards about my impatience as I'm trying to avoid the feedback loop apparent in so many threads. So I understand it. I just think that regardless of whether there's a rational explanation for it that exculpates whatever negative appellations some may bestow upon it (e.g., whining), there is in my mind little doubt that it would be better to occupy the mind with something positive and fulfilling.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:40 pm

When people who submitted after me are getting decisions and it has been 2.5 months, I get frustrated. This acceptance could also mean the difference between staying in CA and moving to the east coast--a decision I'd like to make before my first seat deposit is due. I'm anxious and impatient because I haven't heard a thing, and I submitted in November. I'm a lot less annoyed and impatient with schools that actually tell you what is going on with your application.

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:47 pm

I've been under review 2 months more than you, and I am just super thankful that I haven't been rejected or waitlisted yet. Have patience and go take a walk or something.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:49 pm

+1.

Schools are under no obligation to be on anyone's timetable, and the ones who do (e.g., Northwestern, Cornell with EA) that don't manage to keep their promise really inspire the ire of people. UCLA seems to intentionally promote an opaque process (no status checker, FTL). Just the price to pay.

My workouts have certainly gone up in frequency since this whole thing started. Best of luck to all, including Gotti, to whom I bear no hard feelings. I simply feel it would be healthier to obsess less since we have so little control.

HopefulFish wrote:

I've been under review 2 months more than you, and I am just super thankful that I haven't been rejected or waitlisted yet. Have patience and go take a walk or something.

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:53 pm

originalmutt wrote:
mr_toad wrote:

+1

Well I guess that makes you better than us, doesn't it?

NotImportant

Postby NotImportant » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:56 pm

And moving on...

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:03 pm

NotImportant wrote:And moving on...

+1

And to an extent I apologize for bringing it up. It drove me crazy last week when some people on other threads criticized people for discussing things not 100% related to application issues. But this was meant as I said it, as good advice. And I apologize again if this comes across as me getting the last word in. We are all stressed and we deal with it in different ways.

So, again, moving on. UCLA, just call us and end this conversation! :)

samilabuena

Postby samilabuena » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:40 pm

I totally know what you mean, Gotti. I've been complete since early Nov. and I don't know if this radio silence is a good or bad thing. I am seriously considering sending a LOCI, but if I get put on the WL right after I send it, do I send another one?? And I'll feel like an even bigger ass if I get rejected before they receive my LOCI. I'm in a pickle...

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:49 pm

@Gotti: No offense Gotti but the longer you wait the better for you considering your stats. If UCLA wasn't such a notorious GPA whore you would almost surely have been dinged by now.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:50 pm

samilabuena wrote:I totally know what you mean, Gotti. I've been complete since early Nov. and I don't know if this radio silence is a good or bad thing. I am seriously considering sending a LOCI, but if I get put on the WL right after I send it, do I send another one?? And I'll feel like an even bigger ass if I get rejected before they receive my LOCI. I'm in a pickle...

I'd say just send it. Can't hurt...it can only help, right?

eecs

Postby eecs » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:52 pm

Just got the waitlist email. Submitted late november. 3.2/177. Definitely sending an loci.

K1988

Postby K1988 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:10 pm

Waitlisted. Complete 11/17, 3.4 and 168

samilabuena

Postby samilabuena » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:21 pm

Are either of you in-state?

K1988

Postby K1988 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:25 pm

I'm not.

eecs

Postby eecs » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:28 pm

samilabuena wrote:Are either of you in-state?

I would qualify for in-state since my high school degree is from CA, but I don't live in-state currently. Not sure how they account for this during the admissions process, though.

bruinkid8

Postby bruinkid8 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:42 pm

K1988 wrote:Waitlisted. Complete 11/17, 3.4 and 168

Does anyone know why UCLA doesn't seem to be releasing Waitlists all at once? There seems to be different small waves of dings/Wls each day.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:44 pm

They also seem to waitlist a hell of a lot of people. I fully expect to be WL'd myself but can't imagine actually getting off that thing.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:48 pm

bruinkid8 wrote:
K1988 wrote:Waitlisted. Complete 11/17, 3.4 and 168

Does anyone know why UCLA doesn't seem to be releasing Waitlists all at once? There seems to be different small waves of dings/Wls each day.

Maybe they really are doing it on a rolling basis. At the end of the day, they send out e-mails to whomever they decided to waitlist/reject that day. What doesn't make any sense, however, is why there haven't been any acceptances recently. You would think that in a day's worth of evaluating at least one acceptance might come around...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”