UCLA? 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby Bumi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:43 pm

If you want to go to a school, then yes withdrawing is probably not a good move.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:55 pm

jamiLAW wrote:
kelesands wrote:I'm new to this, can someone explain what the benefits are of withdrawing an app to a school you've become sure you don't want to attend? (Not WL'd...also I'm not referring to UCLA, ha)


It seems like the real benefit is that you don't have to worry about an additional school that you only have a small chance of getting into. Also it frees up the spot for people on the WL who desperately want to go to that school.

However, if you really want to go to that school yourself (i.e. it's your top choice), there is no real benefit to withdrawing.


There is no benefit at all. It's nice to have the options open, since you already paid the money.

kelesands
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby kelesands » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:
jamiLAW wrote:
kelesands wrote:I'm new to this, can someone explain what the benefits are of withdrawing an app to a school you've become sure you don't want to attend? (Not WL'd...also I'm not referring to UCLA, ha)


It seems like the real benefit is that you don't have to worry about an additional school that you only have a small chance of getting into. Also it frees up the spot for people on the WL who desperately want to go to that school.

However, if you really want to go to that school yourself (i.e. it's your top choice), there is no real benefit to withdrawing.


There is no benefit at all. It's nice to have the options open, since you already paid the money.


This is exactly what I thought. LOL.

Once I know whether I'm admitted and with what $$ offer (and I'm sure I'm not going) of course I will open up the spot for others. But I just can't see the benefit of withdrawing an app before I know the outcome...perhaps mental health for some.

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby jwmalone87 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:28 pm

Yeah, it does help someone else who's waiting for that spot. I think that's reason enough, especially if you couldn't honestly and completely see yourself attending that school.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:37 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:Yeah, it does help someone else who's waiting for that spot. I think that's reason enough, especially if you couldn't honestly and completely see yourself attending that school.


It doesn't work this way. Since schools give away more admission offers than they have seats (a lot more since yield at lower ranked schools are a lot less than 40-50%) they will not go to WL until deposits are due. Most people will not withdraw until they make deposit, so early withdraws will just be ignored.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Silly UCLA sent me an email saying they got my fin. aid app, but that there were "mistakes" on it- but they weren't mistakes x_X ... sigh @ UCLA...

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby sanguar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:35 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Silly UCLA sent me an email saying they got my fin. aid app, but that there were "mistakes" on it- but they weren't mistakes x_X ... sigh @ UCLA...


Was it your FAFSA or NeedAccess? I sent my NeedAccess a few days ago, and my FAFSA this morning. I was wondering about how long before I could call them to make sure they've received it all. (I'm paranoid about bureaucratic foul-ups, exp. when it comes to $ things. Though actually every dealing I've had with UCLA administrative/bureaucratic things has been remarkably good and easy so far.) When did you submit your forms?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:57 pm

sanguar wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Silly UCLA sent me an email saying they got my fin. aid app, but that there were "mistakes" on it- but they weren't mistakes x_X ... sigh @ UCLA...


Was it your FAFSA or NeedAccess? I sent my NeedAccess a few days ago, and my FAFSA this morning. I was wondering about how long before I could call them to make sure they've received it all. (I'm paranoid about bureaucratic foul-ups, exp. when it comes to $ things. Though actually every dealing I've had with UCLA administrative/bureaucratic things has been remarkably good and easy so far.) When did you submit your forms?


Needaccess, and I got them out around 2 weeks ago, IIRC. My opinion of how they're handling this will be determined by whether and how much aid they offer me.

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby sanguar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Needaccess, and I got them out around 2 weeks ago, IIRC. My opinion of how they're handling this will be determined by whether and how much aid they offer me.


Lol. Thanks for the info. I didn't necessarily mean to praise their whole app/$ process specifically. But I've had to call some of their offices (not just the law school ones) a few times for some info (housing, travel to ASW, housing again, and one more I think), and it's always been a really smooth process with competent people on the phone willing to help. In contrast, I've been at schools where getting information out of administrative offices requires a secret handshake, black magic, and a dentist drill. Somehow one of the things I like best about UCLA is how easy they've been to deal with. It's like great customer service from a business: fosters a positive emotional association.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:03 pm

sanguar wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Needaccess, and I got them out around 2 weeks ago, IIRC. My opinion of how they're handling this will be determined by whether and how much aid they offer me.


Lol. Thanks for the info. I didn't necessarily mean to praise their whole app/$ process specifically. But I've had to call some of their offices (not just the law school ones) a few times for some info (housing, travel to ASW, housing again, and one more I think), and it's always been a really smooth process with competent people on the phone willing to help. In contrast, I've been at schools where getting information out of administrative offices requires a secret handshake, black magic, and a dentist drill. Somehow one of the things I like best about UCLA is how easy they've been to deal with. It's like great customer service from a business: fosters a positive emotional association.


Yah- they ARE very easy to deal with, but the tone of the email they sent me- automatically assuming I made a mistake on how broke my family is, put a sour taste in my mouth.

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby glitter178 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:06 pm

I'm worried I should already know this but... What is need access?

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby sanguar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Yah- they ARE very easy to deal with, but the tone of the email they sent me- automatically assuming I made a mistake on how broke my family is, put a sour taste in my mouth.


Yeah, I'd imagine it's a bit of an awkward conversation too. UCLA: "You're not really this poor are you?" You: "Yep". UCLA: "oh... sorry"

Maybe they'll make it up to you with a boatload of $$!

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby sanguar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:10 pm

glitter178 wrote:I'm worried I should already know this but... What is need access?


It's a financial aid form. You can find it online at needaccess.org. Not all schools use it, but UCLA and a few others do. I think they use it to determine need-based grant money (whereas fafsa is used to determine need-based loans). [If I've screwed up the different uses, somebody correct me. This is just the understanding that I had about it].

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby aaaaaah » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:13 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Yah- they ARE very easy to deal with, but the tone of the email they sent me- automatically assuming I made a mistake on how broke my family is, put a sour taste in my mouth.


I sympathize with this. NYU (undergrad) once did the same thing to me, then proceeded to audit my paperwork when I insisted it wasn't a mistake. :roll: You would think people working in financial aid offices would be trained to be more sensitive about such matters.

registeredtosay
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby registeredtosay » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:14 pm

I got the complete email from UCLA in mid october and haven't heard anything since. Thinking about sending them a "Why UCLA". Is this a good idea?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:21 pm

aaaaaah wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Yah- they ARE very easy to deal with, but the tone of the email they sent me- automatically assuming I made a mistake on how broke my family is, put a sour taste in my mouth.


I sympathize with this. NYU (undergrad) once did the same thing to me, then proceeded to audit my paperwork when I insisted it wasn't a mistake. :roll: You would think people working in financial aid offices would be trained to be more sensitive about such matters.


TBF, there IS something weird on it, so I was sort of expecting an inquiry, but assuming it's a mistake seems a little rude. And one of the things they questioned just didn't make sense at all.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:21 pm

registeredtosay wrote:I got the complete email from UCLA in mid october and haven't heard anything since. Thinking about sending them a "Why UCLA". Is this a good idea?


Stats?

registeredtosay
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby registeredtosay » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Below 50th GPA, at 75th LSAT. CA resident

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:05 pm

registeredtosay wrote:Below 50th GPA, at 75th LSAT. CA resident


You're probably fine? Couldn't hurt, I doubt you'll get WL so no reason not to.

JKill01
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby JKill01 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Out via e-mail. Bad day....

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby glitched » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:21 pm

JKill01 wrote:Out via e-mail. Bad day....


Man I wish I could buy you a drink... my condolences. :(

JKill01
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby JKill01 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Thanks! I'll be okay. :) Congrats on your acceptances in your profile. That's awesome!

UA7789
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:47 am

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby UA7789 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:00 pm

I was wondering how long on average it takes to go complete? I sent my app in almost a month ago, and still have not received a complete e-mail. hmmm....

mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby mistermister » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:04 pm

JKill01 wrote:Out via e-mail. Bad day....


sorry to hear it. :( mind sharing when you went complete?

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby JJDancer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:09 pm

UA7789 wrote:I was wondering how long on average it takes to go complete? I sent my app in almost a month ago, and still have not received a complete e-mail. hmmm....

Went complete in days.

I would call to check on that.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”