UCLA? 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mcdonrb

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby mcdonrb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:Waitlisted just now via email!

Me too. 177/3.7. Out of school for a while, have done some graduate work, but mostly been teaching for about 4 years. Sent in my app in early October. I had really pinned my hopes on UCLA. Got into Texas with $$$, hoping for something similar at UCLA. UCLA was absolutely my first choice school. What does this mean? What could I possibly have done differently? Is it considered bad form to actually call the admissions office and ask what about my application gave them pause about admitting me?

LegallyBrunette3

Postby LegallyBrunette3 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:08 pm

mcdonrb wrote:

Me too. 177/3.7. Out of school for a while, have done some graduate work, but mostly been teaching for about 4 years. Sent in my app in early October. I had really pinned my hopes on UCLA. Got into Texas with $$$, hoping for something similar at UCLA. UCLA was absolutely my first choice school. What does this mean? What could I possibly have done differently? Is it considered bad form to actually call the admissions office and ask what about my application gave them pause about admitting me?

Do you mind me asking when you submitted your app?

akili

Postby akili » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:09 pm

LegallyBrunette3 wrote:
mcdonrb wrote:

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:10 pm

mcdonrb wrote:

this is 100% COMPLETELY and absolutely YP. you will get off the WL if you write them a LOCI and say UCLA is your #1 choice. Did you not write a "why UCLA" ?

mcdonrb

Postby mcdonrb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:11 pm

LegallyBrunette3 wrote:
mcdonrb wrote:

Can't remember the exact day, but very soon after they started accepting them. Early October at the latest.

Didn't write a "why UCLA," but their essay requirements were so strict (no more than 2 pages, 12 pt font, 1 inch margins) that I figured they didn't want any extra stuff.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:14 pm

mcdonrb wrote:

They think you are going to Harvard, or maybe Yale/Stanford depending on how good your app is.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:20 pm

mcdonrb wrote:

I am going to write them such a letter. I may even consider sending a paper copy.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mcdonrb wrote:

I am going to write them such a letter. I may even consider sending a paper copy.

Write it on BerkeleyLaw letterhead.

akikaze

Postby akikaze » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:28 pm

mcdonrb wrote:

Agree; this is blatant yield protection. With those stats, you're looking at maybe even a scholly at Columbia.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:40 pm

mcdonrb wrote:Didn't write a "why UCLA," but their essay requirements were so strict (no more than 2 pages, 12 pt font, 1 inch margins) that I figured they didn't want any extra stuff.

This is why they WL'd you.

Write a LOCI and state that it's your absolute #1 choice (well, if it is...don't lie) & you will most likely get off the WL

mcdonrb

Postby mcdonrb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:43 pm

What are the prospects of financial aid off the waitlist? Does anybody know?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:43 pm

Gotti wrote:
mcdonrb wrote:Didn't write a "why UCLA," but their essay requirements were so strict (no more than 2 pages, 12 pt font, 1 inch margins) that I figured they didn't want any extra stuff.

Write a LOCI and state that it's your absolute #1 choice (well, if it is...don't lie) & you will most likely get off the WL

I wrote one.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Gotti wrote:

I wrote one.

Yeah i have no idea why they WL'd you =\ sorryyyy

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:47 pm

Gotti wrote:

Look at my yellow dot, so lonely

http://ucla.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/?whichCycle=1011

mcdonrb

Postby mcdonrb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:48 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mcdonrb wrote:

What are you going to write them?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:50 pm

mcdonrb wrote:What are you going to write them?

I want to know why I was not admitted. Not sarcastically, I really want to know. UCLA is a big deal for me even if I don't attend. I used to be in LA and it was something I wanted to achieve.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Gotti wrote:

awww. well i'm sure you'll get off the WL if you write a LOCI

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:53 pm

sorry about the WL everyone!

question: I'm going to visit to hopefully give me a boost. do you think i should meet with an admissions counselor while i'm there?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Gotti wrote:

This guy is also up there with you

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/BTL2T14/jd

mcdonrb - Are you a CA resident?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:55 pm

bdubs wrote:This guy is also up there with you

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/BTL2T14/jd

Now there is an YP. I am at least in the upper range.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:59 pm

I wish they had a status checker. I'm about to get a heart attack just waiting for UCLA/checking my email. Gaaa!

tothePAIN

Postby tothePAIN » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:07 pm

If I haven't written a Why UCLA should I add one to my file to avoid YP? I'd like to go to UCLA with some money but with my numbers 3.84/171/174, it seems that I'll be YP.

mcdonrb

Postby mcdonrb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:18 pm

Not a CA resident. But I'm in Arizona, and would like to be annexed by CA. In all seriousness, though, I have family and friends in SoCal, and would really prefer to live the rest of my life there than in Texas (where I grew up and most of my family is).

R6, I would also like to write/email and ask what I could have done to boost my chance of acceptance, but I don't know how to do so without sounding like a whiny bitch (especially since my first impulse when I read the email was to whine like a bitch). If you send one, would you mind pming me and letting me know what you wrote? I'm thinking I might chill out for a couple of days just so I have some time to think and don't act rashly or say something that I might regret.

In the meantime, I'll add my little yellow dot to the LSN chart and continue to use this board to vent my frustrations and satisfy my neuroses.

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:51 pm

okay, still no WL, still no rejection, still no acceptance. am i now the earliest person to go complete with no news??

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:53 pm

tothePAIN wrote:If I haven't written a Why UCLA should I add one to my file to avoid YP? I'd like to go to UCLA with some money but with my numbers 3.84/171/174, it seems that I'll be YP.

Couldn't hurt. I would if I were in your position, FWIW.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”