UCLA? 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahlawg

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby sarahlawg » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:56 am

sanguar wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:By the way, is the 50k they site as tuition and fees for OOS JDs including the 21k they budget for COL? or is it 71k total/year?

Pretty sure (i.e., 99.999999% sure) that's just the tuition and fees. So the total hits 71k. Otherwise that means that oos tuition would be 29k/yr and I would have already submitted my deposit :-D

:shock: geez. that puts them down the list a bit for that price, even with 27k off/year.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:31 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
sanguar wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:By the way, is the 50k they site as tuition and fees for OOS JDs including the 21k they budget for COL? or is it 71k total/year?

Pretty sure (i.e., 99.999999% sure) that's just the tuition and fees. So the total hits 71k. Otherwise that means that oos tuition would be 29k/yr and I would have already submitted my deposit :-D

:shock: geez. that puts them down the list a bit for that price, even with 27k off/year.

You do realize that's about what most schools cost, right?

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
sanguar wrote:

You do realize that's about what most schools cost, right?

eh, more expensive than UVA and Penn, so it falls down the list for me. I thought it being a UC it would be cheaper than that... of course CA is in ridiculous financial turmoil.

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Does UCLA reject via usps mail or email?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:41 pm

HopefulFish wrote:Does UCLA reject via usps mail or email?

E-mail.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:43 pm

Why does my alma matter neglect me?! Ugh, this wait has become too long and it's really annoying to hear nothing back from them. I guess status checkers are a double-edge sword in this scenario. Before I was cool with not having to worry about checking it every day, but now it's just terrible. At least I haven't been dinged yet so I guess that's a good sign :?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:48 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:Why does my alma matter neglect me?!Ugh, this wait has become too long and it's really annoying to hear nothing back from them. I guess status checkers are a double-edge sword in this scenario. Before I was cool with not having to worry about checking it every day, but now it's just terrible. At least I haven't been dinged yet so I guess that's a good sign :?

This is mostly how I feel too. But I wrote a lot of extra things for UCLA/visited etc and although I'm happy to still be in the running, I'm afraid they will WL me or admit me with no/very little $$ and although I appreciate whatever I can get, I REALLY want to be in LA (UCLA/USC) and I would NOT be able to afford attending UCLA with a 30K (total) scholly or something. :(

Also, I'm becoming an anxious mess since USC and UCLA were my first apps and neither have gotten back to me yet. Though I did just get a THIRD under review date at USC. :) ?

Also, the fact that UCLA has accepted people with my stats in like 10 days of them submitting in January tells me that they just aren't that excited about me :( !!

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:03 pm

Sigh, they just don't like us, JJ. I say we got an sit in front of Murphy Hall and just protest or something. Maybe start feeding the local squirrels so they turn even more rabid. That'll show them!

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:41 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:Sigh, they just don't like us, JJ. I say we got an sit in front of Murphy Hall and just protest or something. Maybe start feeding the local squirrels so they turn even more rabid. That'll show them!

Haha. I don't want to force them to accept me though. Plus I'd have to fly out from FL for that.
I think we should do something awesome and try to impress/flatter them into submission instead :)

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:28 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:Sigh, they just don't like us, JJ. I say we got an sit in front of Murphy Hall and just protest or something. Maybe start feeding the local squirrels so they turn even more rabid. That'll show them!

they actually moved their admin into the bottom floor of Dodd haha

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:29 pm

Has anyone emailed/contacted them about pending apps from say 4 months ago?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:34 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:

Oo. I knew this. Since I visited. At Dodd. D'oh!

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:39 pm

JJDancer wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:

haha, who did you see there? did it happen to be t-squared down in admins?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:10 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:

haha, who did you see there? did it happen to be t-squared down in admins?

I just went on a student led tour. A girl inside the admissions office asked me if I wanted to speak to Dean Schwartz and I was like :shock: but also nervous lol. So I was like "sure." (because I didn't know I could do that) but when I came back from my tour, I asked about meeting him and someone else told me he was out that day.

Not sure what t-squared means :oops:

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:39 am

haha i was referring to a gentleman in the admissions office. He's really really nice guy and will give you solid advice for any law school you're interested in. What did you think of the tour? IMO UCLA law has one of the best facilities i've seen amongst the t20, but i could be a little biased as my office is not too far from the law school haha

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:45 am

pimpsdontcry wrote:haha i was referring to a gentleman in the admissions office. He's really really nice guy and will give you solid advice for any law school you're interested in. What did you think of the tour? IMO UCLA law has one of the best facilities i've seen amongst the t20, but i could be a little biased as my office is not too far from the law school haha

Ah, ok.
No I didn't see any men in the admissions office lol.
I liked the tour. I really liked the library (especially compared to USCs).

The only other facilities I've seen is NYU's library and Columbia's shiny new law school building and the classroom ish facilities of UCLA/USC paled in comparison to Columbia's. (But I don't think that matters much.)

I didn't really see as much "diversity" as I expected. Even in the way of Asian people and UCLA UG has soo much at least Hispanic/Asian diversity (I think) so I was surprised.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:07 am

Ah, totally forgot it was in Dodd. The basement of Dodd could literally be in a horror movie. Seriously, just imagine being stuck in that long hallway with flickering lights.

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:12 am

WonkyPanda wrote:Ah, totally forgot it was in Dodd. The basement of Dodd could literally be in a horror movie. Seriously, just imagine being stuck in that long hallway with flickering lights.

hollar next time your there and I'll take you to my office, it looks like the setting for a zombie revival cult movie haha

JJDancer wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:haha i was referring to a gentleman in the admissions office. He's really really nice guy and will give you solid advice for any law school you're interested in. What did you think of the tour? IMO UCLA law has one of the best facilities i've seen amongst the t20, but i could be a little biased as my office is not too far from the law school haha

Ah, ok.
No I didn't see any men in the admissions office lol.
I liked the tour. I really liked the library (especially compared to USCs).

The only other facilities I've seen is NYU's library and Columbia's shiny new law school building and the classroom ish facilities of UCLA/USC paled in comparison to Columbia's. (But I don't think that matters much.)

I didn't really see as much "diversity" as I expected. Even in the way of Asian people and UCLA UG has soo much at least Hispanic/Asian diversity (I think) so I was surprised.

diversity is overrated haha. but seriously, i think it's more of a professional diversity that law schools are looking for, not so much cultural.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:22 pm

Yeah, it's not like "omg there were a lot of white people" is a big issue lol. Most of America is a lot of white people and hey, nothing wrong with that.

But I think I had a different expectation. And it's just something that I visibly noticed. I'm an ORM so I guess somewhere my subconscious was looking for a similar face or something...

alexdelarge

Postby alexdelarge » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:33 pm

In via phone call from Dean Schwartz on 1/24. I submitted on 1/10 and went complete 1/13. He's a total baller. We've been corresponding all week regarding clinic opportunities, etc. My stats are in the median range for UCLA, but I'm a California resident with sweet softs. Also in the running for an Epstein. Schwartz said he'd get in touch ASAP if I'm screened out.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:11 pm

I'm posting this in a couple of UCLA related threads so apologies to anyone who reads this more than once.

Anybody have any thoughts on, or success with, scholarship negotiations (with UCLA specifically, or other schools in general)? Here's my situation:

UCLA offered me $75,000. Their most recent figures put total cost of attendance over three years (inc. COL) at approx $75,000/yr OOS, $65,000/yr in-state. Given the ease of establishing CA residency, that puts total COA over three years at $205,000 (one year at out-of-state, two years at in-state). Take out the $75,000 scholly and I'm at $130,000.

Texas offered me an In-state exemption + $9,5000/yr. Total value over three years is $76,500. For an in-state student their COA is 45,170/yr. Subtract the $9,500 and that's down to $35,670/yr. Over three years that comes to $107,010.

COA difference over three years then comes to $22,990.

UCLA and Texas are tied at 15th in the rankings. Though the total $$ value of their offers are only $1,500 apart, I'm wondering if UCLA might be willing to negotiate vis-a-vis the overall difference in COA?

Anybody have any thoughts on this or experience with the process (w/r/t UCLA specifically or just in general)? How to go about presenting it? etc. Any thoughts/advice/suggestions appreciated.

I prefer UCLA to Texas for a variety of reasons (though that is subject to change), but that approx. $23,000 difference over three years looks like a big number to me.

Thanks for any help/advice!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:15 pm

Congrats on the offers!

I would just write them and briefly explain the total cost you will incur attending UCLA and UT, and ask if they would make it equivalent so you can make your decision on UCLA. Of course explain why UCLA is a better fit and the reason for your preference. I think it's small enough of a difference they should cover it.

Good luck!

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:20 pm

When I tried to start negotiating with Dean Schwartz he said wait till financial aid info was in, and now I'm learning they don't make decisions on that till mid february at the earliest. I'm starting to think they don't negotiate much. I should probably point out they're not my best acceptance though...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:31 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:When I tried to start negotiating with Dean Schwartz he said wait till financial aid info was in, and now I'm learning they don't make decisions on that till mid february at the earliest. I'm starting to think they don't negotiate much. I should probably point out they're not my best acceptance though...

They are probably going to look at your whole package: merit + need anyway. If they can give you more need than merit that's better for them since it's from different funding sources.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:41 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:When I tried to start negotiating with Dean Schwartz he said wait till financial aid info was in, and now I'm learning they don't make decisions on that till mid february at the earliest. I'm starting to think they don't negotiate much. I should probably point out they're not my best acceptance though...

They are probably going to look at your whole package: merit + need anyway. If they can give you more need than merit that's better for them since it's from different funding sources.

Love the optimism Philly. When you get your full ride offer I'll buy you a mental beer.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”