UCLA? 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
re-applicant

Re: UCLA? 2011

Postby re-applicant » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:07 pm

shanemahsa wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Can't they let me in? Or maybe they just don't think I would be willing to pay any tuition.

I haven't heard anything either man.

+1. I applied on 9/21.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:24 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
bigjinjapan wrote:Also, can UC schools afford to give out scholarships this year? The state is basically bankrupt, after all...

UCLA probably has more scholarship money this year as part of the tuition increase.

I do not think that is the case. The tuition increase is going toward running the almost bankrupt University of California system.

Do you know for sure how the internal distribution of revenue works? I am very curious about the finances of law schools because for a large part they are not the ones in trouble.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:05 pm

Tagging the thread. Applied late and just went complete on the 13th. Really like UCLA though, esp the law and philosophy program.

lushka

Postby lushka » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:25 pm

Same here, applied oct no word yet. Whats the deal>?! I NEED to hear something!!

weee

Postby weee » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
bigjinjapan wrote:Also, can UC schools afford to give out scholarships this year? The state is basically bankrupt, after all...

UCLA probably has more scholarship money this year as part of the tuition increase.

I do not think that is the case. The tuition increase is going toward running the almost bankrupt University of California system.

Do you know for sure how the internal distribution of revenue works? I am very curious about the finances of law schools because for a large part they are not the ones in trouble.

The law school can't afford NOT to give aid money out. They need to attract strong students to keep their rankings up. It seems to me that the professional schools are somewhat separated from the undergraduate system.

It does make sense that they might target people just above the previous year's 75th marks to slowly bring up their stats, while paying the minimum amount of scholarship money they can.

I talked to Dean Schwartz about scholarships and he basically said that he gets really nervous because as the seat deposit deadlines approach, they have offered out way more financial aid than the school can possibly afford.

I think they rely a lot on matching or negotiation because it minimizes the amount of outstanding scholarship money they offer. If they can snag that great student for $0 aid because they decided not to apply elsewhere and don't realize they have a chance at money, they are ecstatic.

Also, they may reconsider your scholarship after seat deposit deadline, and if money really is a deciding factor for you between two schools you really want to go to, you might want to consider depositing at both. I know that UCLA allowed it at the first deposit, but make sure the second school does so you don't cause yourself problems.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:08 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

I'm basing my speculation on how UG tuition increases worked in the UC system. 1/3rd of all tuition increases went to an increase in scholarships (which were mostly need based).

Curry

Postby Curry » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:12 pm

Hannibal wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

I'm basing my speculation on how UG tuition increases worked in the UC system. 1/3rd of all tuition increases went to an increase in scholarships (which were mostly need based).

This. That being said most of that money went to covering up the amount lost because of the fee hikes.

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:37 pm

Hannibal wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

Regardless of what they've done in the past, I don't see a simple tuition hike covering a state-wide deficit in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Realistically I don't imagine that they'll do away with scholarship money altogether, but I wouldn't be surprised if those dollars are cut back significantly.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Hoping for some input from other UCLA applicants...

I am retaking the LSAT in February. Compared to how I PT'ed, I really underperformed on the Oct. LSAT. That being said, I am fully aware that it's possible I could do worse the Feb. LSAT, though I honestly doubt I will.

I have yet to hear from UCLA, should I alert them I am retaking the LSAT (LSAC does not) in hopes that I do better and avoid getting out right rejected. Or should I ride on my current numbers, hoping for at worst a WL, and then use my hopefully better score to leverage money and or get off of the waitlist?
Last edited by JenDarby on Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juuuulie

Postby Juuuulie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:45 pm

JenDarby wrote:Hoping for some input from other UCLA applicants...

My stats as they stand are 168/3.6. I am retaking the LSAT in February. Compared to how I PT'ed, I really underperformed on the Oct. LSAT. That being said, I am fully aware that it's possible I could do worse the Feb. LSAT, though I honestly doubt I will.

I have yet to hear from UCLA, should I alert them I am retaking the LSAT (LSAC does not) in hopes that I do better and avoid getting out right rejected. Or should I ride on my current numbers, hoping for at worst a WL, and then use my hopefully better score to leverage money and or get off of the waitlist?

Do they do much rejecting or are they an "everybody goes on the waitlist!" school? If they are the latter, I'd wait to see how I did. If the former and they accept the Feb LSAT, I'd be more inclined to tell them.

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:21 am

Went to complete on 1/7 (soon as they got my dec lsat). I accidentally indicated ED on the app and they called me to clear things up, so that's obviously off on a bad start. Stats are 3.7/167, it's definitely a stretch, but also my #1 choice. Good luck to the rest of you guys!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:56 am

Juuuulie wrote:
JenDarby wrote:Hoping for some input from other UCLA applicants...

My stats as they stand are 168/3.6. I am retaking the LSAT in February. Compared to how I PT'ed, I really underperformed on the Oct. LSAT. That being said, I am fully aware that it's possible I could do worse the Feb. LSAT, though I honestly doubt I will.

Do they do much rejecting or are they an "everybody goes on the waitlist!" school? If they are the latter, I'd wait to see how I did. If the former and they accept the Feb LSAT, I'd be more inclined to tell them.

The WL letter said they take a lot of students off the wait list (as much as 20% of their class sometimes) so I'm guessing it's the latter.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:05 pm

IN! Just got off the phone. $75,000!

ETA: Sent 1/10, Complete 1/13

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:09 pm

sanguar wrote:IN! Just got off the phone. $75,000!

Congratz! That is awesome. I, for some odd(odd bc I applied to all my schools 2 months ago) reason, decided to apply to UCLA today and just sent in my app. I'll let you know of my decision around May...

Congratz again!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:05 pm

Can I get a call please? Seriously.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:Can I get a call please? Seriously.

+1

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:Can I get a call please? Seriously.

yeah, kind of rediculous. i'm happy for those who were recently accepted, but it's crazy to see some people get such a fast turnaround while others are left hanging for months and months on end. it'd be interesting to see the process from the adcomm perspective, what is it about certain apps that makes them sit on them for months?

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:09 pm

#'s?

ETA: Nvm, saw your profile.

environmentallaw

Postby environmentallaw » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:29 pm

sanguar wrote:Tagging the thread. Applied late and just went complete on the 13th. Really like UCLA though, esp the law and philosophy program.

I was about to ask if you knew much about UCLA's philosophy department (like whether it was continental or analytic), but then I found Wikipedia, of course. The law and philosophy program does look neat and it seems like they've got a decent mix of courses (anything from Medieval to Wittgenstein). Alas, however, I'm coming from a continental philosophy program, while it appears that UCLA is well-known for being analytic. I should have known, considering Carnap is a former professor.

Anyway, if you know more about the philosophy department, I'd appreciate your insight! :)

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:38 pm

environmentallaw wrote:
sanguar wrote:Tagging the thread. Applied late and just went complete on the 13th. Really like UCLA though, esp the law and philosophy program.

I was about to ask if you knew much about UCLA's philosophy department (like whether it was continental or analytic), but then I found Wikipedia, of course. The law and philosophy program does look neat and it seems like they've got a decent mix of courses (anything from Medieval to Wittgenstein). Alas, however, I'm coming from a continental philosophy program, while it appears that UCLA is well-known for being analytic. I should have known, considering Carnap is a former professor.

Anyway, if you know more about the philosophy department, I'd appreciate your insight! :)

I don't know a ton about their program specifically, though I do know that it is extremely well-regarded. Out of curiosity, where are you coming from? My UG and first MA were at continental programs (Boston College and New School respectively), second MA and soon-to-be-Ph.D. are at an analytic program. If it makes any sort of difference to you, from my experience, the transition was incredibly difficult but incredibly worthwhile. I'm very happy that I have both in my background. I wouldn't let the analytic-ness of UCLA's dept - and thus of the Law and Phil program - deter you at all. Though I would stress that it was difficult to make the switch, particularly when it came to paper-writing; I felt like I had to learn how to write a paper all over again when I went analytic. But I'm a much better writer for it ultimately.

environmentallaw

Postby environmentallaw » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm

sanguar wrote:
environmentallaw wrote:

I don't know a ton about their program specifically, though I do know that it is extremely well-regarded. Out of curiosity, where are you coming from? My UG and first MA were at continental programs (Boston College and New School respectively), second MA and soon-to-be-Ph.D. are at an analytic program. If it makes any sort of difference to you, from my experience, the transition was incredibly difficult but incredibly worthwhile. I'm very happy that I have both in my background. I wouldn't let the analytic-ness of UCLA's dept - and thus of the Law and Phil program - deter you at all. Though I would stress that it was difficult to make the switch, particularly when it came to paper-writing; I felt like I had to learn how to write a paper all over again when I went analytic. But I'm a much better writer for it ultimately.

Thanks for the information! My BA is from Penn State, so I’ve really grown to appreciate continental philosophy. However, I can see the usefulness of an analytic philosophy background in both the study and practice of law. I’ll definitely look into UCLA’s program.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:04 pm

Wtf, why do I get no moneys but you get $75,000 a year? The PhD? The extra .02 and +1 on the lsat? that's the difference between 0 and $25k a year?

:?

I'm hoping they pull through with need based aid...

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:07 pm

Congrats!!
So jealous about the lightning fast response (and scholly!)
Very similar #s, complete since 12/15.

This makes me want to stalk my phone for the next four hours and hope 310 calls!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:09 pm

What are Sanguars numbers? Every time I try and look at their profile, my internet freezes....

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:10 pm

JenDarby wrote:What are Sanguars numbers? Every time I try and look at their profile, my internet freezes....

3.77 and 169 + 2 MAs and a PhD this year.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”