UCLA? 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pimpsdontcry

Bronze

Re: UCLA? 2011

Post by pimpsdontcry » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:04 pm

mr_toad wrote:Someone needs to put this train back on the tracks.
Ur right, why are we comparing pastry shops? This should be an obvious choice: women in LA >>>>>>>>> Berkeley women :)

Hahah, joking aside. As far as employment goes, while firms do recruit from LA because of status/name, the firms I've spoken with have said that the LA's strong applicant pool has "lessened over the years". Not sure what that means, either the schools aren't pumping out students that are interested in working for firms or the literal interpretation which is that the student's just aren't as good. Has anyone else heard this?

Sidenote: on the topic of UCB students trying to come to LA to find work, i know 2 recent graduates who had to retreat back to norcal to find jobs because they had no luck with LA firms. Just a point I thought was worth mentioning.

samilabuena

New

Post by samilabuena » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:08 pm

kwais wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:It's probably just me, but i never liked the "mission style" that Stanford has.
agreed. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go to Stanford (never gonna happen), but I was expecting to like the campus a lot more. I prefer the neighborhood feel of Berkeley to the country club feel of Stanford
Totally agree!! Stanford is HUGE and the student body is tiny - it just makes it seem like a big, empty estate.

And UCLA is just awesome. If only Westwood was affordable...

snichols16

Bronze

Post by snichols16 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:47 pm

samilabuena wrote:
kwais wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:It's probably just me, but i never liked the "mission style" that Stanford has.
agreed. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go to Stanford (never gonna happen), but I was expecting to like the campus a lot more. I prefer the neighborhood feel of Berkeley to the country club feel of Stanford
Totally agree!! Stanford is HUGE and the student body is tiny - it just makes it seem like a big, empty estate.

And UCLA is just awesome. If only Westwood was affordable...
Even if it were affordable, you wouldn't want to live there.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:58 pm

Anyone know anything about the liklihood of getting off the waitlist, when they'll start taking people off it, how to best become one of those taken off of it, and whether or not they offer money to people taken off the waitlist?

pimpsdontcry

Bronze

Post by pimpsdontcry » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:19 am

whitman wrote:Anyone know anything about the liklihood of getting off the waitlist, when they'll start taking people off it, how to best become one of those taken off of it, and whether or not they offer money to people taken off the waitlist?
like other's have said before, it's not only difficult to get off the waitlist, it's a pain in the a$$ because they don't let you know til after the first seat deposit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:33 am

pimpsdontcry wrote:
whitman wrote:Anyone know anything about the liklihood of getting off the waitlist, when they'll start taking people off it, how to best become one of those taken off of it, and whether or not they offer money to people taken off the waitlist?
like other's have said before, it's not only difficult to get off the waitlist, it's a pain in the a$$ because they don't let you know til after the first seat deposit.

Damn. That's really unfortunate.

tlabrum3

New

Post by tlabrum3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:41 am

yet to receive and email or anything saying application is complete or received. Should I be worried? I submitted it online on 12/20.

LiveFreeOrLaw

New

Post by LiveFreeOrLaw » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:42 am

tlabrum3 wrote:yet to receive and email or anything saying application is complete or received. Should I be worried? I submitted it online on 12/20.
Yes. call first thing tuesday.

tlabrum3

New

Post by tlabrum3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:51 am

LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:
tlabrum3 wrote:yet to receive and email or anything saying application is complete or received. Should I be worried? I submitted it online on 12/20.
will do. I hope everything is alright. In my lsac account is says complete and everything. How long after submission did you get the email from them?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:23 am

tlabrum3 wrote:
LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:
will do. I hope everything is alright. In my lsac account is says complete and everything. How long after submission did you get the email from them?
Maybe it went to your spam. I got it within a week after submission.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:38 am

The ? in this thread title feels very relevant...are we guaranteed decisions before April 30th?

LiveFreeOrLaw

New

Post by LiveFreeOrLaw » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:49 pm

jtemp320 wrote:The ? in this thread title feels very relevant...are we guaranteed decisions before April 30th?
Yes

sef2104

New

Post by sef2104 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:07 pm

I went complete almost three months ago. No word. It sounds like a lot of acceptances and WL/D emails went out last week. So I'm wondering why I didn't hear, one way or the other.

Should I send a LOCI even though I haven't been waitlisted? I'm out of state....Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:09 pm

sef2104 wrote:I went complete almost three months ago. No word. It sounds like a lot of acceptances and WL/D emails went out last week. So I'm wondering why I didn't hear, one way or the other.

Should I send a LOCI even though I haven't been waitlisted? I'm out of state....Thanks!
I don't know, but you should definitely ask this question in every thread.

ETA: Sorry, that was a bit snarky. A lot of people are still waiting, so it's not just you, if that helps. I, personally wouldn't send an LOCI, but it's up to you.

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:48 pm

sef2104 wrote:I went complete almost three months ago. No word. It sounds like a lot of acceptances and WL/D emails went out last week. So I'm wondering why I didn't hear, one way or the other.

I also went complete nearly three months ago (complete on 11/30) and haven't heard anything. I'm not sending a LOCI. Do you by any chance have borderline-ish numbers? I have one number around the 25th percentile and the other above the 75th, so maybe they are taking longer w/applicants who are neither auto-accept nor auto-deny.

samilabuena

New

Post by samilabuena » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:14 am

I've been complete for over 3 months and haven't heard a word since. At this point, UCLA is my top choice, so today I FedEx'd a LOCI to Dean Schwartz. It may or may not have been the best thing to do, but if they are wondering if I'm still interested, now they know.

My numbers are pretty borderline and I'm OOS. I'm holding my breath for even a WL at this point. But I figure, after this long, they must have a good reason for not throwing me in the reject pile by now. Hopefully the LOCI does the trick! I'll keep you posted.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:23 am

I think it's not completely unusual for UCLA to take so long to make a decision. I remember back in January, there were people who had been waiting since September to receive a decision.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:48 am

Was tuesday the 15th the most recent acceptance?

Hopefully some action tomorrow!

LiveFreeOrLaw

New

Post by LiveFreeOrLaw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:53 pm

JJDancer wrote:Was tuesday the 15th the most recent acceptance?
where did you get this info?

Also, judging by the number of acceptances on LSN, the rest of us here seem to be SOL.

helloperson

Bronze

Post by helloperson » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:09 pm

LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:

Also, judging by the number of acceptances on LSN, the rest of us here seem to be SOL.
I count 112. There were 172 accepts on LSN for class of '09 (1105 total accepts), so I think we should expect dozens more accepts.

LiveFreeOrLaw

New

Post by LiveFreeOrLaw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:25 pm

helloperson wrote:
LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:

I count 112. There were 172 accepts on LSN for class of '09 (1105 total accepts), so I think we should expect dozens more accepts.
1105 accepts and only roughly 300 enroll? wow

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:51 pm

LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:
helloperson wrote:
LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:

1105 accepts and only roughly 300 enroll? wow
that's pretty typical. a lot of people apply to a lot of schools. can't attend 'em all!

LiveFreeOrLaw

New

Post by LiveFreeOrLaw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:54 pm

sarahlawg wrote: that's pretty typical. a lot of people apply to a lot of schools. can't attend 'em all!
Except I'm not even good enough to be one of the 1105 =(... yet

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:58 pm

Just got a $12K need access grant from UCLA.

Considering I was expecting NOTHING---this is AWESOME. Definitely tips me towards to UCLA. YOUR MOVE CORNELL.

sanguar

Silver

Post by sanguar » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:04 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:Just got a $12K need access grant from UCLA.

Considering I was expecting NOTHING---this is AWESOME. Definitely tips me towards to UCLA. YOUR MOVE CORNELL.
Congrats!! If you don't mind my asking, how long ago did you submit your NeedAccess?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”