NYU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dany

Re: NYU 2011

Postby Dany » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:23 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
kazu wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:ITT: Future law students put on display the reason everyone hates law school: The people.

lawschoollll wrote:you people are awful

Why do you hate people in this thread so much?

I keep checking the thread to hoping that the fact that there are almost 30 pages means that something newsworthy w/r/t NYU apps has happened. Instead I find page after page of jittery aspie drivel about postmarks and status checker obsession.

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:29 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
kazu wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:ITT: Future law students put on display the reason everyone hates law school: The people.

lawschoollll wrote:you people are awful

Why do you hate people in this thread so much?

I keep checking the thread to hoping that the fact that there are almost 30 pages means that something newsworthy w/r/t NYU apps has happened. Instead I find page after page of jittery aspie drivel about postmarks and status checker obsession.

Dude, this is TLS. Every thread for every school is filled with people obsessing over decisions and status checkers. It's for us to freak out and help each other out.

So why the hate for this thread as opposed to the other waiting threads??

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:31 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:Dude, this is TLS. Every thread for every school is filled with people obsessing over decisions and status checkers. It's for us to freak out and help each other out.

lawschoolll ED-ed to NYU, apparently. Probably just taking out his frustration out on us.

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:36 pm

kazu wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:Dude, this is TLS. Every thread for every school is filled with people obsessing over decisions and status checkers. It's for us to freak out and help each other out.

lawschoolll ED-ed to NYU, apparently. Probably just taking out his frustration out on us.

Anyone else vote to get back on topic and disregard such ridiculousness? Even pure speculation about possibly non-existent acceptance letters going out is more interesting than giving this guy any attention.

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:41 pm

jd2014! wrote:
kazu wrote:

Anyone else vote to get back on topic and disregard such ridiculousness? Even pure speculation about possibly non-existent acceptance letters going out is more interesting than giving this guy any attention.

+1

And flawed campus mail systems... :lol:

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:41 pm

So....... IT'S DECEMBER EVERYONE.

PotatoMonkey

Postby PotatoMonkey » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:45 pm

WHERE IS THE PURPLE!

Back to creeping.

supahstahxruv

Postby supahstahxruv » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:48 pm

wait, so not to be a party-pooper or anything but, for the sake of my own sanity, if we do see anything today it will most likely be on the status checker instead of in the mailbox, correct?

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:50 pm

supahstahxruv wrote:wait, so not to be a party-pooper or anything but, for the sake of my own sanity, if we do see anything today it will most likely be on the status checker instead of in the mailbox, correct?

We don't know. But if you don't live in NYC, it's highly unlikely you'll be getting snail mail from them today.

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:50 pm

supahstahxruv wrote:wait, so not to be a party-pooper or anything but, for the sake of my own sanity, if we do see anything today it will most likely be on the status checker instead of in the mailbox, correct?

No one knows the answer to this question, because this is NYU's first year using status checkers. That said, the past several years' data suggest that it is unlikely anyone would hear via snail mail as early as today.

Postby 4102011 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:51 pm

Unless there's super speedy mail & they went with sending it on a Tuesday again (instead of waiting for December), it's unlikely there'll be any purple envelopes today. & the status checker is a mystery!

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:51 pm

Yeah. It would most likely be status checker based on past release dates. Plus, it's a lot of conjecture to assume that they will come out the very earliest they ever have and that we will all be a part of the first wave.

Doesn't mean that its not keeping me from doing my job...

boushi

Postby boushi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:51 pm

So I'm an RD applicant and I've now been stuck in "application processing" limbo since 10/29. Looking around here and on LSN, that seems to be quite a bit longer than other applicants (RD & ED). NYU hasn't reached out to me about a missing item or anything and I've gone complete everywhere else without issue (except for Stanford who immediately requested an about a post-bacc language program transcript).

Am I hyper-paranoid or should I contact them first at this point? Anyone else have success in pushing processing along faster by reaching out to them first? I'd rather not bother them, but its hard to think this processing time is "normal" at this point.

Postby 4102011 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:52 pm

tipler4213 wrote:Yeah. It would most likely be status checker based on past release dates. Plus, it's a lot of conjecture to assume that they will come out the very earliest they ever have and that we will all be a part of the first wave.

Doesn't mean that its not keeping me from doing my job...

Shhh, we're all very special snowflakes who will be the first ones to know! :cry:

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:53 pm

Also, take it for what its worth (status checkers being an unknown), but the NYU website says they only give decisions via mail (no phone, e-mail, or admissions-office-stalker) because of privacy concerns.

Postby 4102011 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:53 pm

tipler4213 wrote:Also, take it for what its worth (status checkers being an unknown), but the NYU website says they only give decisions via mail (no phone, e-mail, or admissions-office-stalker) because of privacy concerns.

Hmmm...but they could go all Michigan-like and just post "Decision"!

...I hope :(

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:55 pm

boushi wrote:So I'm an RD applicant and I've now been stuck in "application processing" limbo since 10/29. Looking around here and on LSN, that seems to be quite a bit longer than other applicants (RD & ED). NYU hasn't reached out to me about a missing item or anything and I've gone complete everywhere else without issue (except for Stanford who immediately requested an about a post-bacc language program transcript).

Am I hyper-paranoid or should I contact them first at this point? Anyone else have success in pushing processing along faster by reaching out to them first? I'd rather not bother them, but its hard to think this processing time is "normal" at this point.

NYU seems to go from Application Processing directly to Under Review. Several other posters have noted that they are still "Processing" despite submitting a while ago. It seems as though they may have sorted the piles to be put under review (ED and above both medians first) or it might just be totally random. I don't think you should worry about it yet though.

pulandasu

Postby pulandasu » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 pm

bdubs wrote:
boushi wrote:So I'm an RD applicant and I've now been stuck in "application processing" limbo since 10/29. Looking around here and on LSN, that seems to be quite a bit longer than other applicants (RD & ED). NYU hasn't reached out to me about a missing item or anything and I've gone complete everywhere else without issue (except for Stanford who immediately requested an about a post-bacc language program transcript).

NYU seems to go from Application Processing directly to Under Review. Several other posters have noted that they are still "Processing" despite submitting a while ago. It seems as though they may have sorted the piles to be put under review (ED and above both medians first) or it might just be totally random. I don't think you should worry about it yet though.

Totally random - I'm under review since 10/22. I am not above medians.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 pm

Haahahaha I love how to 1 question like five us responded ASAP, at the same time, w/ the same answer.

This thread is awesome <3

jd2014!

Postby jd2014! » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:59 pm

bdubs wrote:

Agreed. Plus, if you big them today, it may slow down the decisions for the rest of us! Kidding.

I would suggest sticking it out a bit. It isn't unheard of to get stuck at the complete/processing stage for a while. You could go UR tomorrow, so hold tight. If you are still processing in a few weeks, you could send a friendly "anything I can do for you?" email.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:01 pm

bdubs wrote:

I am hoping that a big group will go under review today. If you look on LSN a large number of people marked their apps as "Complete" on 12/1 of last year.

mst

Postby mst » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:03 pm

Just call if you're super worried. My money says your app is fine and they are just rushing through the ED & Sept/Oct admits. They are getting tons of calls a week, I'm sure. Just don't mention your name at first, and say "Howdy, I applied in late October, and I noticed my application is still processing. Is this normal or should I be concerned my application is missing materials?" If they say "Well that's weird, what's your name?" you will have accomplished something. If they say "oh don't worry there are still quite a few applicants in that submission area who are regular decision and we still haven't had time to complete their apps..." then problem solved and you can remain anonymous.

If your SUPER DUPER worried about about bothering them, just shoot them an email "Howdy Admissions, Noticed this and wanted to see if there was anything else missing from my application that I might need to submit. My LSAC Num-num is XXXXXXXXX. K thx bai.

lshamlet

Postby lshamlet » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:03 pm

jd2014! wrote:
Agreed. Plus, if you big them today, it may slow down the decisions for the rest of us! Kidding.

I would suggest sticking it out a bit. It isn't unheard of to get stuck at the complete/processing stage for a while. You could go UR tomorrow, so hold tight. If you are still processing in a few weeks, you could send a friendly "anything I can do for you?" email.

lol wow, i definitely would not do that. i don't get how any of you can think that the adcoms are so incompetent that your file somehow gets lost or MIA, or that you could "do anything for them." they're really busy and the last thing any of the offices want from an applicant is emails or phone calls asking them why things aren't moving along. my uncle works in MD admissions and he says his entire department gets really ticked off by students like that.

try not to be neurotic, and if you are (like I get) don't call the law schools about it. keep it on this forum.

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:05 pm

mst wrote:If your SUPER DUPER worried about about bothering them, just shoot them an email "Howdy Admissions, Noticed this and wanted to see if there was anything else missing from my application that I might need to submit. My LSAC Num-num is XXXXXXXXX. K thx bai.

Not posting, eh? ;-)

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:07 pm

lshamlet wrote:lol wow, i definitely would not do that. i don't get how any of you can think that the adcoms are so incompetent that your file somehow gets lost or MIA, or that you could "do anything for them." they're really busy and the last thing any of the offices want from an applicant is emails or phone calls asking them why things aren't moving along. my uncle works in MD admissions and he says his entire department gets really ticked off by students like that.

try not to be neurotic, and if you are (like I get) don't call the law schools about it. keep it on this forum.

I don't think they care that much. I called UW about a similar issue yesterday and they volunteered to resolve it right away.

Side note: NYU is just asking for people to bug them when they choose a status of "Application Processing" and then leave people at that status for more than a month. Almost every other school uses complete, which is much more reassuring.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”