NYU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
descartesb4thehorse

Re: NYU 2011

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:49 pm

miamiman09 wrote:I know a lot of people are on both this thread and the CLS thread, but wanted to get some NYU input if possible. I just got in to both earlier this week so I couldn't get to the ASWs. However, I am planning to road trip in to visit both early next week. Without the full ASW treatment, I'm somewhat scrambling to plan out the visits at each school and have had mixed results.

CLS has been very helpful. I left a message and got a personal callback from Jill Nussbaum, Assistant Director of Admissions. They have a guided tour of the law school every day and can give me a 1-day pass to get into all the buildings and one of the residences. NYU, on the other hand, has been the opposite of helpful. They don't have regularly schedule tours I can join, only a "self-guided" version. I called the Admissions Office and they said that the one person that can help set something up for me is out of town on vacation and that I can email them and they will respond when they get back next week (best case scenario, I hear from them the day before I plan to drive an entire day to visit). Top that off with Columbia's nice acceptance packet versus NYU's letter and campus map in an envelope, and first impressions are certainly favoring CLS.

However, there have been some negative post-ASW reviews on the CLS thread. After a chance to soak it all in, if anyone can talk in some details about their experiences with the NYU ASW, please PM or post. Also, anyone that has suggestions about where to go/who to talk to/what to do when I'm visiting next week, your advice would be very much appreciated.

Lol part of me wants to defend NYU, but not only is this tax season, it should also be the tax season of people working in admissions. Decisions still aren't all out, seat deposits are coming up... did anyone think that now might not be the best time to allocate employee vacation days?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:59 pm

miamiman09 wrote:I know a lot of people are on both this thread and the CLS thread, but wanted to get some NYU input if possible. I just got in to both earlier this week so I couldn't get to the ASWs. However, I am planning to road trip in to visit both early next week. Without the full ASW treatment, I'm somewhat scrambling to plan out the visits at each school and have had mixed results.

CLS has been very helpful. I left a message and got a personal callback from Jill Nussbaum, Assistant Director of Admissions. They have a guided tour of the law school every day and can give me a 1-day pass to get into all the buildings and one of the residences. NYU, on the other hand, has been the opposite of helpful. They don't have regularly schedule tours I can join, only a "self-guided" version. I called the Admissions Office and they said that the one person that can help set something up for me is out of town on vacation and that I can email them and they will respond when they get back next week (best case scenario, I hear from them the day before I plan to drive an entire day to visit). Top that off with Columbia's nice acceptance packet versus NYU's letter and campus map in an envelope, and first impressions are certainly favoring CLS.

However, there have been some negative post-ASW reviews on the CLS thread. After a chance to soak it all in, if anyone can talk in some details about their experiences with the NYU ASW, please PM or post. Also, anyone that has suggestions about where to go/who to talk to/what to do when I'm visiting next week, your advice would be very much appreciated.

When I talked to CLS I was told they don't do guided tours. I was only told I could do the self-guided tour. Are you sure about the guided tours?

Also, if receiving a binder from one school and not receiving one from another is goin to make your law school decision I think you need to rethink your decision process.

miamiman09

Postby miamiman09 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:15 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:

When I talked to CLS I was told they don't do guided tours. I was only told I could do the self-guided tour. Are you sure about the guided tours?

Also, if receiving a binder from one school and not receiving one from another is goin to make your law school decision I think you need to rethink your decision process.

From CLS's website and confirmed by the email I received from Jill Nussbaum: "The Law School offers guided tours for admitted students between the dates of February 22 through April 21. The tours are scheduled from 12:30 to 1:15 p.m. (Monday - Thursday) and begin at the Office of Admissions (1125 Amsterdam Avenue, between 115th and 116th streets, 5th Floor)."

However, that's under "Visiting Columbia" on the Admitted Students website. Apparently under the same heading on the regular website it explicitly states that they do NOT offer daily guided tours. Weird.

And about the folders, that was mostly tongue-in-cheek. I need to remember to add those emoticons! That isn't a factor, but the personally-returned phone call vs. the "e-mail the guy on vacation" approach will certainly be at the back of my mind. Neither one offered $$$, so unless that changes the biggest factor will be my experiences when I actually do visit next week.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:19 pm

Solid. I haven't been admitted into CLS (still held), so thats probably the difference.

And yeah, I figured it wasn't ACTUALLY a big factor in your decision.

Congrats on the acceptances and I hope you have enjoyable visits! There's really no bad choice

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:15 pm

I am offically in love with nyu.

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:46 am

chrissyc wrote:I am officially in love with nyu.

otterpotter

Postby otterpotter » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:59 am

My application has been UR since 12/23...every other school I've applied to has given me a response (even if it's just "hold") or at least updated the date during the last THREE months. I called and they said it was normal, but it's making me nervous that my application is buried under a pile somewhere. Is anyone else experiencing this?

happyfeet

Postby happyfeet » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:09 pm

i think there is a significant number of us in the same boat. i've been under review since 12/3.

otterpotter wrote:My application has been UR since 12/23...every other school I've applied to has given me a response (even if it's just "hold") or at least updated the date during the last THREE months. I called and they said it was normal, but it's making me nervous that my application is buried under a pile somewhere. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:09 pm

otterpotter wrote:My application has been UR since 12/23...every other school I've applied to has given me a response (even if it's just "hold") or at least updated the date during the last THREE months. I called and they said it was normal, but it's making me nervous that my application is buried under a pile somewhere. Is anyone else experiencing this?

You will be rejected or wait listed. HTH.

src42

Postby src42 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:12 pm

Flips88 wrote:You will be rejected or wait listed. HTH.
Harsh, but almost definitely true. :(

backtothebeat

Postby backtothebeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:16 pm

why do they wait so long to just tell you though? to make it seem like you really got your money's worth out of the application fee? annoying.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:38 pm

backtothebeat wrote:why do they wait so long to just tell you though? to make it seem like you really got your money's worth out of the application fee? annoying.

Just in case. They are allowing for any contingency, what if they're putting together their class profile and they realize they don't have many Californians? No music majors? What if Columbia is having a weird year and they're picking off more NYU admits than usual? Then they dust off their pile of respectable but not quite good enough applicants and reconsider.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:44 pm

suspicious android wrote:
backtothebeat wrote:why do they wait so long to just tell you though? to make it seem like you really got your money's worth out of the application fee? annoying.

Just in case. They are allowing for any contingency, what if they're putting together their class profile and they realize they don't have many Californians? No music majors? What if Columbia is having a weird year and they're picking off more NYU admits than usual? Then they dust off their pile of respectable but not quite good enough applicants and reconsider.

That's what WL is for, but I see the value of not forcing people to withdraw.

théo

Postby théo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:27 am

happyfeet wrote:i think there is a significant number of us in the same boat. i've been under review since 12/3.

Under review since 11/29. :?

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:08 pm

UR since 10/20 here.... :(

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:21 pm

Anyone else have a scholarship deadline set for tomorrow at NYU? If so, does anyone know if it is a postmark deadline or receipt deadline?

Sorry, couldn't find this anywhere on TLS.

glitched

Postby glitched » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:31 pm

well you can accept it online so i'm only going to assume it's that date. mine is tomorrow and i am going to submit my intent to enroll. :)

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:01 am

glitched wrote:well you can accept it online so i'm only going to assume it's that date. mine is tomorrow and i am going to submit my intent to enroll. :)

Thanks, I totally forgot it was online. But do you pay the deposit online too? Or is that mailed?

neonx

Postby neonx » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:02 am

Just posted some pictures from the weekend (hopefully to entice people wavering between NYU and Columbia): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=152370

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:05 am

It was fun--cool school. They are good at what they do during ASW.

justhoping

Postby justhoping » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:06 pm

dinged just now via e-mail :|

ilovemulch

Postby ilovemulch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:33 pm

justhoping wrote:dinged just now via e-mail :|

I'm sorry, hoping!!! :(

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:46 pm

Dinged via email after no movement since I went "under review" in november, so to say I'm not surprised would be a major understatement. I'm chill though- 8)

Have fun peeps. I'll probably see some of you at work in a couple of years.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:52 pm

The blood bath begins.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:37 pm

No ding yet over here... (UR 11/10)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”