NYU 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lolok
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby lolok » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Yeah I'm 170/3.95+. I didn't write a LOCI...had kind of written NYU off tbh. I probably won't believe it until i see the letter, but I'm on spring break this week (somewhere warm :)) and won't be home for a few more days to confirm.

rockyrac
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:45 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby rockyrac » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:40 pm

in with a 172/3.85

applied feb 1., was notified a couple weeks later

User avatar
livefreeordie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:37 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby livefreeordie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Hey,

I've been following the thread, but don't recall if there have been any rejection notices for NYU so far? Does anyone know?

Thanks!

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:59 pm

livefreeordie wrote:Hey,

I've been following the thread, but don't recall if there have been any rejection notices for NYU so far? Does anyone know?

Thanks!


There have been a handful across the board. Not like a crazy wave though.

antonin
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby antonin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:25 pm

On the NYU website, they claim 75% of LSAT at 175!!

How the hell did they manage that... especially if the average scores. That many first-time 175+ test-takers go to NYU?

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby chasgoose » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:29 pm

antonin wrote:On the NYU website, they claim 75% of LSAT at 175!!

How the hell did they manage that... especially if the average scores. That many first-time 175+ test-takers go to NYU?


First, whatever they may say, I doubt they average scores when the higher score is 175+ (I for example would not have gotten in had they done that). Also, those reported numbers are only the highest scores of all of their students.

User avatar
ChriLa425
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby ChriLa425 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:35 pm

chasgoose wrote:
antonin wrote:On the NYU website, they claim 75% of LSAT at 175!!

How the hell did they manage that... especially if the average scores. That many first-time 175+ test-takers go to NYU?


First, whatever they may say, I doubt they average scores when the higher score is 175+ (I for example would not have gotten in had they done that). Also, those reported numbers are only the highest scores of all of their students.


Exactly, they only report the higher score because that´s all they´re required to do. As far as averaging, I think it might depend on whether the scores are very close and on what the numbers are. If you improve from a 165 to a 167 it doesnt change the final score much or your relation to the schools average. But if you go from 160 to 170 I kinda doubt they´re just gonna say 165 and roll with it.

antonin
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby antonin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:36 pm

chasgoose wrote:
antonin wrote:On the NYU website, they claim 75% of LSAT at 175!!

How the hell did they manage that... especially if the average scores. That many first-time 175+ test-takers go to NYU?


First, whatever they may say, I doubt they average scores when the higher score is 175+ (I for example would not have gotten in had they done that). Also, those reported numbers are only the highest scores of all of their students.


No yeah, they most likely do not... I think it is hard for school below HYS to average LSAT without putting themselves at serious disadvantage. 175 is still though a very high number for 1/4 of NYU class in my opinion.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:40 pm

Just got a "fall 2010 grade request" from NYU..... I graduated in 2006.

User avatar
waitlisteddd
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby waitlisteddd » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:44 pm

bdubs wrote:Just got a "fall 2010 grade request" from NYU..... I graduated in 2006.


same, although I am still in UG, so it makes sense.

is this a good or bad sign?

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby czelede » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:47 pm

bdubs wrote:Just got a "fall 2010 grade request" from NYU..... I graduated in 2006.


Me too!

I graduated in 2009, have been UR since 11/8 and am waiting for my inevitable waitlist in April.

Edit: are we supposed to email them back? Or just assume they know what error they made and let it go?
Last edited by czelede on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby bhan87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:47 pm

antonin wrote:
chasgoose wrote:
antonin wrote:On the NYU website, they claim 75% of LSAT at 175!!

How the hell did they manage that... especially if the average scores. That many first-time 175+ test-takers go to NYU?


First, whatever they may say, I doubt they average scores when the higher score is 175+ (I for example would not have gotten in had they done that). Also, those reported numbers are only the highest scores of all of their students.


No yeah, they most likely do not... I think it is hard for school below HYS to average LSAT without putting themselves at serious disadvantage. 175 is still though a very high number for 1/4 of NYU class in my opinion.


Factor in splitters and students they bought from HYSC with named scholarships and I think it's fairly reasonable

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: NYU 2011

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:53 pm

I just got a grade request from NYU as well. My gpa dropped this fall. Why did I naively think I would have all my decisions before fall grades came out. I should not of partied for all fall.

Question, I am a splitter... My lsac gpa is 3.49 currently, would be a 3.44 with fall grades. Either way I am below their 25th. 173 LSAT. I was planning on getting WL at NYU. I have 54k at Umich which I was planning on taking. I would consider NYU though for sure. Would it hurt me to submit my updated transcript to LSAC? Is it worth the effort/cost (though nominal) considering my gpa dropped?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:55 pm

czelede wrote:
bdubs wrote:Just got a "fall 2010 grade request" from NYU..... I graduated in 2006.


Me too!

I graduated in 2009, have been UR since 11/8 and am waiting for my inevitable waitlist in April.


I think they are looking to shore up their LSAT median without lowering their GPA 25th too much, hoping that a few of the splitters still in UG will have a grade bump to report.

I think a few 172/3.6+ reported getting in recently after a long wait.

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby czelede » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:05 pm

bdubs wrote:
czelede wrote:
bdubs wrote:Just got a "fall 2010 grade request" from NYU..... I graduated in 2006.


Me too!

I graduated in 2009, have been UR since 11/8 and am waiting for my inevitable waitlist in April.


I think they are looking to shore up their LSAT median without lowering their GPA 25th too much, hoping that a few of the splitters still in UG will have a grade bump to report.

I think a few 172/3.6+ reported getting in recently after a long wait.


My GPA is way too low for even a 4.0 semester to bump up to their standards lol.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:10 pm

czelede wrote:Edit: are we supposed to email them back? Or just assume they know what error they made and let it go?


I e-mailed back letting them know that I had graduated already, and was not enrolled in grad school of any kind.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:12 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:I just got a grade request from NYU as well. My gpa dropped this fall. Why did I naively think I would have all my decisions before fall grades came out. I should not of partied for all fall.

Question, I am a splitter... My lsac gpa is 3.49 currently, would be a 3.44 with fall grades. Either way I am below their 25th. 173 LSAT. I was planning on getting WL at NYU. I have 54k at Umich which I was planning on taking. I would consider NYU though for sure. Would it hurt me to submit my updated transcript to LSAC? Is it worth the effort/cost (though nominal) considering my gpa dropped?


Is NYU the only school you are waiting on? Submitting your transcripts to LSAC updates them for any school which requests updated transcrtips, so you might end up hurting yourself if you are still looking to get in elsewhere (or are hoping for money at other schools).

padthai
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby padthai » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:15 pm

i got a gra
bdubs wrote:
czelede wrote:
bdubs wrote:Just got a "fall 2010 grade request" from NYU..... I graduated in 2006.


Me too!

I graduated in 2009, have been UR since 11/8 and am waiting for my inevitable waitlist in April.


I think they are looking to shore up their LSAT median without lowering their GPA 25th too much, hoping that a few of the splitters still in UG will have a grade bump to report.

I think a few 172/3.6+ reported getting in recently after a long wait.


I'm above both medians and got a grades request too...

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: NYU 2011

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:15 pm

bdubs wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:I just got a grade request from NYU as well. My gpa dropped this fall. Why did I naively think I would have all my decisions before fall grades came out. I should not of partied for all fall.

Question, I am a splitter... My lsac gpa is 3.49 currently, would be a 3.44 with fall grades. Either way I am below their 25th. 173 LSAT. I was planning on getting WL at NYU. I have 54k at Umich which I was planning on taking. I would consider NYU though for sure. Would it hurt me to submit my updated transcript to LSAC? Is it worth the effort/cost (though nominal) considering my gpa dropped?


Is NYU the only school you are waiting on? Submitting your transcripts to LSAC updates them for any school which requests updated transcrtips, so you might end up hurting yourself if you are still looking to get in elsewhere (or are hoping for money at other schools).


Actually NYU is the only school I am waiting on. I have money offers from everyone but GULC and Cornell, both of which I am not expecting anything or anything more then UMich. Even if NYU let me in I think I would probably go to Umich for less debt but I would still like the chance to make that decision. Could there be any downside in this situation to updating my transcript?

edit: I just feel that it might be a waste of time considering my gpa dropped.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:18 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:Actually NYU is the only school I am waiting on. I have money offers from everyone but GULC and Cornell, both of which I am not expecting anything or anything more then UMich. Even if NYU let me in I think I would probably go to Umich for less debt but I would still like the chance to make that decision. Could there be any downside in this situation to updating my transcript?

edit: I just feel that it might be a waste of time considering my gpa dropped.


Thats a hard call. Not responding to the request as a current undergrad may get you put at the bottom of the pile, but responding may also hurt you. Not really clear which is the better option.

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: NYU 2011

Postby dabbadon8 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:24 pm

bdubs wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:Actually NYU is the only school I am waiting on. I have money offers from everyone but GULC and Cornell, both of which I am not expecting anything or anything more then UMich. Even if NYU let me in I think I would probably go to Umich for less debt but I would still like the chance to make that decision. Could there be any downside in this situation to updating my transcript?

edit: I just feel that it might be a waste of time considering my gpa dropped.


Thats a hard call. Not responding to the request as a current undergrad may get you put at the bottom of the pile, but responding may also hurt you. Not really clear which is the better option.


Right I am sure they would rather admit me if they do with the higher gpa. I wonder if I should send them an email explaining my gpa dropped and what it is now. I can't see me updating with a lower gpa helping me in anyway. I can see them putting me at the bottom of the pile but thats not any worse then lowering my stats. Anyone one else have any input?

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby czelede » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:28 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:Actually NYU is the only school I am waiting on. I have money offers from everyone but GULC and Cornell, both of which I am not expecting anything or anything more then UMich. Even if NYU let me in I think I would probably go to Umich for less debt but I would still like the chance to make that decision. Could there be any downside in this situation to updating my transcript?

edit: I just feel that it might be a waste of time considering my gpa dropped.


Thats a hard call. Not responding to the request as a current undergrad may get you put at the bottom of the pile, but responding may also hurt you. Not really clear which is the better option.


Right I am sure they would rather admit me if they do with the higher gpa. I wonder if I should send them an email explaining my gpa dropped and what it is now. I can't see me updating with a lower gpa helping me in anyway. I can see them putting me at the bottom of the pile but thats not any worse then lowering my stats. Anyone one else have any input?


I don't think it will hurt you as much as you think, since either GPA would be below their median anyhow.

clearfire
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby clearfire » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:30 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:Actually NYU is the only school I am waiting on. I have money offers from everyone but GULC and Cornell, both of which I am not expecting anything or anything more then UMich. Even if NYU let me in I think I would probably go to Umich for less debt but I would still like the chance to make that decision. Could there be any downside in this situation to updating my transcript?

edit: I just feel that it might be a waste of time considering my gpa dropped.


Thats a hard call. Not responding to the request as a current undergrad may get you put at the bottom of the pile, but responding may also hurt you. Not really clear which is the better option.


Right I am sure they would rather admit me if they do with the higher gpa. I wonder if I should send them an email explaining my gpa dropped and what it is now. I can't see me updating with a lower gpa helping me in anyway. I can see them putting me at the bottom of the pile but thats not any worse then lowering my stats. Anyone one else have any input?



I imagine they aren't going to move on your app unless you give them a grade update. If you want NYU then send them an email explaining the gpa drop and send the transcript in. It sounds like you already have most of your decisions already. If you don't want NYU then don't send it in, or withdraw.

User avatar
BrightLine
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby BrightLine » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Got the same grade request, wont make any difference to my GPA though.

Anything I can read into it?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: NYU 2011

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:16 pm

bdubs wrote:Just got a "fall 2010 grade request" from NYU..... I graduated in 2006.


Did you write back?

I am surprised I didn't get one. UR for 2 months now.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”